Cito Event In Southeastern Pa - April 24 '04

MissJenn

Watch for "Left Nothing, Took a Dump" to appear in the near future as the April 17th CITO event for the tri-go region (Southwestern PA). This event, which is being coordinated by Team VaxCave with witty name and veteran advice being provided by The Leprechauns, will hopefully be held at a Pittsburgh City Park that's badly in need of a cleanup. VaxCave is working on some issues with the City Parks folks and hopefully everything will work out and we'll see a cache page soon. If need be, we will keep our catchy title and choose a different park.

My main reason for posting to this thread is to point out that the Southeastern PA event is one week AFTER official CITO weekend. You can attend a different event, like tri-go's, on CITO weekend, and then make a roadtrip for the French Creek event the following weekend, since the camping there is fantabulous. I hope to be part of a tri-go contingent that will trek across the state. Drive Friday, cleanup on Saturday, cache on Sunday.

The Accomodations:

The Ranger has graciously offered a limited number of free campsites at Loop C (what an amazing coincidence that letter is). I don't actually know how many free sites are available: methinks he is waiting to see what our turnout is like. First come; first served. Please contact me by March 31 in order to place your name on the list. I'll need to know what site# you wish to have. Check the Loop C map on the cache page for options. Each site is allowed to have up to 5 people so site-sharing is a nice possibility.

Do not call 888-PA-PARKS to reserve a spot, unless you prefer to pay for it (which is a nice way to support the DCNR). Just let me know what site you reserved so I can place you on our map.

Pets are not allowed at Loop C. Public showers and potable water are available.

Alternatively:

Ten furnished modern cabins, nestled among the hardwoods, offer a pleasant alternative to state park camping. Each cabin features sleeping for six, electric heat, kitchen, private bath with shower, and wall to wall carpeting. Call 888-PA-PARKS for more info.

What if you can't make it to this event but you really want to help French Creek State Park?

There is a volunteer "Tuesday Crew" at this state park. They meet (would you believe it?) every Tuesday evening during Daylight Savings Time - i.e. the warmer months. They do the routine tasks of trail maintenance and other tasks that might not be so routine. They meet at the Maintenance Building across the street from the Park Office, which is at:

N 40° 11.881'    W 075° 47.582'

If you are interested in joining them (even for just one Tuesday), call the park at 610-582-9680 and leave a message for Colin H.

Ok Southeast PA. The gauntlet has been laid down. Check out what some of our Northern Tier cachers did at the Potter County CITO last weekend. There are tons of photos posted in the logs. Check them out!

Let's keep the ball rolling after the successful CITO's in Pittsburgh, NEPA and Potter County. Come on out...even if just for a little while.

The more the merrier!

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

The group on Saturday REALLY rocked the Park.

one photo from TomeBug, and we were not yet done filling up this dumpster:

748bf593-4793-4fe5-b665-df796df3fb53.jpg

another photo from programmer64:

45d29e31-7ca0-4460-b923-96a6dc45db84.jpg

Weather:

rain on Friday

beautiful on CITO Saturday

rain on Sunday

rain on Monday

How 'bout that?