Groundspeak Micro-cache Capsules

Bryan

Groundspeak is pleased to announce the addition of a new product to Shop Groundspeak:

Geocaching Micro-cache capsules!

geo5557c.jpg

Description: Don't make it easy! These micro cache containers are perfect for placing that elusive cache. A choice of colors will enable them to blend them in with just about every environment. Made out of anodized aluminum with two rubber 'o' rings that make it waterproof. These capsules measure 2" tall x .75" in diameter and include a split ring for attaching to your keys.

Price: $6.99

Available here.

Happy Geocaching!

AARRGGHH!!! No fair, I already found these and was going to use them in a cache! :lol::lol::lol::P HMMPH!!!

Well, since the cat is out of the bag you might want to look at pet stores/sites for dog/cat ID capsules that are worn on the collar. They're the same thing without the logo and are very cheap, $2.99 for two as opposed to $6.99 for Groundspeak's capsule. Heh heh heh... Revenge! :P

Think of the extra cost as a donation to Groundspeak/Geocaching.com.

That's true. I don't have a problem with that. But I buy a bunch of stuff from them at what I think are pretty reasonable prices. (ei...hats, stickers, TBs..etc..)

Well, since the cat is out of the bag you might want to look at pet stores/sites for dog/cat ID capsules that are worn on the collar.

OT: That just gave me an idea for a multi. Has anyone ever used the "do-it-yourself" dog tag machine to print coords on?

If they really want to make money, Groundspeak should sell these in rest stop vending machines for $10.00. :lol: Buy the cache, go potty, hide the cache.

So that is why I can never find the rest stop micros, I keep looking in all the wrong places. I didn't realize they where INSIDE McDonald's instead of at the drive through. Oh well...

Anyways, these do look pretty cool. They would be nice trade items and FTF prizes.

I just recently put out a multi micro cache that used a nito pill container. If you have never seen one, they are about a inch tall and the diameter of a straw.

The problem with Nitroglycerine tubes is that because of the nature of the medication, the walls of the container are very thick, making the interior space very narrow. The cap also has a long, solid plug that makes it very difficult to insert anything large enough to be useful. (except for tiny nitroglycerine pills, of course.) A sliver of metal or plastic 15 mm long by 3 mm tall with latitude engraved on one side and longitude on the other is about the most one could hope to put in one. Plus, they cost $6.00 each, making them an even poorer value than the "official" capsule.

I just recently put out a multi micro cache that used a nito pill container. If you have never seen one, they are about a inch tall and the diameter of a straw.

The problem with Nitroglycerine tubes is that because of the nature of the medication, the walls of the container are very thick, making the interior space very narrow. The cap also has a long, solid plug that makes it very difficult to insert anything large enough to be useful. (except for tiny nitroglycerine pills, of course.) A sliver of metal or plastic 15 mm long by 3 mm tall with latitude engraved on one side and longitude on the other is about the most one could hope to put in one. Plus, they cost $6.00 each, making them an even poorer value than the "official" capsule.

I rolled a small piece of the waterproof topo map with the coords to the next stage and put them in there. Seems to work ok so far.

I forgot to mention I wrapped it in camoflauge tape to boot!! Now THATS evil!! :lol:

I like the GC tube, looks like a nice size container.

Did some shopping today.

Bought the Bison tube at REI for 2.95

The ID tube is from Petco for 2.99. Might be too small.

I checked the ones at Petsmart (which, BTW are $1.99 vs Petco $2.99) and agree they are too small, you'd have to really roll the paper tight to get it to fit, and I just don't have that kind of experience. :P

Shipping is what hurts, but if you purchase a larger order even that's not bad.

I regularly mail small items out using P5-size boxes. (Roughly 4" x 3" x 1.5") I imagine one could fit several of the official capsules in a box that size. FWIW, the cost of the box, labels, tape/packing material, labor and postage adds up to less than $1.50 per box shipped 'First-class' via the USPS.

Edited by BassoonPilot
So how the hell do I get home if my keys are attached to the cache. I ain't walkin....

dang it...tried to quote you criminal and think I hit the report button instead...that's what I get for not being around too much lately...

anyyway, I was going to say that it could be a moving cahce, just don't be surprised if you get tackled by someone...lol

Similar to the Nanocaches I've placed in the Orlando area. You can find 'em here:

IMSPlus

Load that page, and search for "DT03050".

Anyone interested in ordering some of these for me and posting them to Scotland, That site does not ship outside of the USA. I have been unable to locate anything similar in this country for a reasonable price. The nearest I have found cost £8 each. I can reimburse the sender via paypal, I would be interested in getting 10 of them. Contact me through my profile if you are interested and let me know how much international shipping would be

Cheers

Donnie