British Columbia Geocaching Association Is Born!

seneca

The British Columbia Geocaching Association was incorporated on February 13, 2004 (yes it was a Friday) as a British Columbia Society. This project was initiated by MrGigabyte to whom we express our gratitude for the tremendous time and effort he has expended in getting it off the ground. Other founding members are Mariner, Seneca, Wet Coast Explorers and Mr.Peabody. Read all about it here.

Our web site now has 125 members and we are now going on a drive to get them (and more) signed up as voting members of the association. Come on and join us!

'Endured the hassles' is an understatement.

The fruit of the labour these 5 individuals put out has likely been stolen by a band of pirates, led by a very malicious, dishonest and undeserving wretch.

There will be more to this story after the AGM later today.

BC geocachers who became wary of joining the BCGA because of these frequent and explicit personal attacks may have just unknowingly handed the keys to the real criminal.

Seemed pretty hostile from teh get go over there. Too much history between some very vocal people that all wanted to lead.

Too true! I checked it out regularily when it first came on-line, but found that it was just a little too much like a junior high-school lunchroom. Haven't been back in a couple of months!

The fruit of the labour these 5 individuals put out has likely been stolen by a band of pirates, led by a very malicious, dishonest and undeserving wretch.

How dare those 'pirates' and 'wretches' go out into the local BC caching community and encourage people to join the BCGA and vote in the AGM. Encouraging participation from people who actually live and cache in BC to participate in the BCGA is reprehensible and all those guilty should be stripped of their BCGA memberships, banned from GC and then flogged for good measure.

In an ideal world, the current self-appointed directors should be left free to hand pick the nominees for their successors and have them all acclaimed as directors as they originally stated was their plan. Having more members, more nominees than positions and an actual election is just too much of a PITA and will just disrupt the order in the universe. Its just too, well, too democratic to be ethical.

I wouldn't worry, Zuuky. I suspect the current directors have a load of proxies from BCGA members who don't actually cache or are located in different provinces and countries to ensure that their agenda remains intact.

Regardless of the outcome, the sun will still rise tomorrow, there will still be plenty of caches to go find and the 'pirates' and 'wretches' will still be around to give you a reason for living.

BTW - Am I a pirate or a wretch, I haven't been able to figure that out, yet. :ph34r:

I have to reply to Canadazuuk's latest post.

My caching name is geodug and I offered my name as a Director of BC Geocaching Association when I saw the poisoned atmosphere that exists in BC.

I see by the posts that there are geocachers posting here that have become disillusioned because of it. I suspected that there were people that feel this way, I don't know how many. We don't blame you one bit, but we do want you back.

We hope we can win the election and be able to put our programs into effect that will be inclusive of all and encourage participation from each corner of the province. If we are elected, just watch us, and if you believe we are doing a good job tell us. If not, we want you to tell us as well.

The Association is owned by its members. We are working for the members and will always do so. Finally, it will be the members that elect its officers.

As of today, our group have announced 5 candidates for consideration. Separately, another member has announced his candidacy. I emailed my good luck wishes to the independent candidate last night. That means there are 6 persons for the members to vote for. The election is tonight.

This is the democratic way and this is the way it should be.

geodug

As of today, our group have announced 5 candidates for consideration. Separately, another member has announced his candidacy. I emailed my good luck wishes to the independent candidate last night. That means there are 6 persons for the members to vote for. The election is tonight.

I think there will be more than six candidates when it comes down to the official nomination process tonight.

I have already expressed elsewhere that I do support some of the people within what I have dubbed 'teamfive'. I do hope for a balance between the two extremes: ie: I would like to see a couple interim directors and perhaps three new directors elected.

(edit: To clarify, 'teamfive' means nothing derogatory! Simply put, there are five candidates who have identified themselves as a group, or 'team'. 'They' being CuriousGeorge, Peregrine007, geodug (pronounced 'goo ee dug'), _CanadianBacon_, and GeoScavenger...)

Edited by canadazuuk
'Endured the hassles' is an understatement.

BC geocachers who became wary of joining the BCGA because of these frequent and explicit personal attacks may have just unknowingly handed the keys to the real criminal.

Ahem....uh...I can hear you! :laughing:

<_<

Edited by Criminal

A big congratulations to the new BCGA directors. The election was managed by HalfCanadian. The voting went very quickly and, with the exception of one relatively close race near the end, all 5 were elected by a large majority. While there was a bit of tension in the air, everyone was on their best behaviour. Well most, anyway. :laughing:

The new directors are:

• _canadianbacon_ - President
  • Peregrine007 - Treasurer
  • Geodug - Secretary
  • CuriousGeorge
  • GeoScavenger

Way to go, guys

On the off chance that this post makes it through the censoring process, I too would like to add my congratulations to the newly elected board.

It was good to see a relatively large turnout for the first GM; bodes well for the future I think.

Congratulations to the new board of directors! Mission accomplished! Phase two of BCGA is now over and now we appear to have an excellent board with some real teeth, who can take it into phase three and actually do stuff with the comfort that they have a real mandate from those geocachers in BC who think BCGA has potential (I’m talking about those who joined!).

All five of the original directors (MrGigabyte, Mariner, The Wet Coast Explorers, MrPeabody, and myself) can take credit for “the good, the bad and the ugly” organizational stage of BCGA. However, special credit has to go the person responsible for the most important phase one conception of BCGA - MrGigabyte. Before any of us at all were involved, he had an idea - a regional geocaching association for British Columbia. He put in hours and hours of personal time and developed an excellent website to introduce us to his idea. Years down the road, when BCGA has grown into a vibrant, meaningful organization with a large membership, MrG will look back on what he started with pride, and I am hopeful that this organization will always give him the positive recognition that he deserves.