When Your Gps Screen Gets Scratched...

SergZak

The first thing is to prevent scratches in the first place, but when you do get one, Meguiars has a new product out that REALLY does wonders. I have a GPS V that got a light scratch in the screen. Using ALOT of elbow grease and numerous products (including Meguiar's Plastic Clearner #17 and Plastic Polish #10), I pretty much got the scratch out. But there were -very- light, almost haze-like scratches that no matter what, would never come out. This Meguiars product called PlastX that I found in my local Ace Hardware store -totally- removed ALL scratches and the screen is like new. Check out the Meguiar's website and from the main page, type in "plastx" in the search box (can't direct-link from the site).

I guess the next reasonable question would be; what do you do to prevent scratches? I'm still waiting for my Meridian Gold (tracking says it should be here on Monday <_< ) but I used a small piece of clear static-cling plastic (I forgot who makes it but it's made for car hood rock protection) on the LCD screen on my digital camera. It works great and hasn't scratched the display yet.

I use a mylar screen cover for both my PPC & Meri Gold. I suspect that this will keep the majority of the damage to a minimum. I believe Fellowes makes it. It comes with several sheets. With each sheet is an overlay that has a grid on it. You mark the corners, cut, separate and press the clear coating onto the surface.

This is something I posted in an old thread that may be useful.

If you do choose to use a PDA screen protector, there are (or used to be last time I bought some) at least two different types. The "monochrome" version has a slight texture on the surface (and may be the same as "glare-free"?). It worked fine on a monchrome Palm, though the texture was slightly visible. However, when I used that type on a color Palm, it created all kinds of prismatic distortion and bluriness. I bought "color" screen protectors which have no surface texture, and they create no distortion on either type of Palm. It is as though they aren't there at all.
I use the non-textured ones on my Sportrak Map, and am quite happy with them. I could stand to be to be careful though. I dropped my ST face-down in a gravel parking lot last week. Some gravel poked through the protector and left a small mark on the screen. I was lucky it didn't crack. <_< I'm considering a case with a window to give better protection of the unit overall.

Does anyone know if Magellan's Sportrak case (or any other case) provides much in the way of screen impact protection?

Edited by Karma Hunter

I love the spotrak case from magellan. I would guess it might add a little impact protection because the plastic cover is raised off the screen a little. Plus, the case is more padded, and adds more of a bumber. It would have been better than the screen protector, but dont hit it with a hammer or anything... <_<

I have a question about the stick on screen protectors. I have cut and used PDA screen protectors on my MeriGold, but the visibility is just not as good. Are the strong engineering screen protectors COMPLETELY CLEAR? Are they the PERFECT screen protector? I want a screen protector that you cannot tell is there.

Thanks!

Another case question. Do cases like the Sportrak case have any effect on reception? With part of the case going up over the antenna, I wondered if it reduces sensitivity at all.

As far as perfectly clear protectors, my PDA ones are not. They definitely reduce clarity some. One thing I've noticed though is that the display on my ST Map is clearer (though smaller) than the one on my wife's Meriplat. Hers looks OK by itself, but when you put the two side by side hers is noticeably "darker." Darker is in quotes because I can't think of a better way to explain it. Brightness and contrast settings can't make it equal to the ST for clarity. The ST with a PDA screen protector offers the same clarity as the Meriplat without one.

I have a question about the stick on screen protectors. I have cut and used PDA screen protectors on my MeriGold, but the visibility is just not as good. Are the strong engineering screen protectors COMPLETELY CLEAR? Are they the PERFECT screen protector? I want a screen protector that you cannot tell is there.

Thanks!

I have the Strong Engineering products on my 60C, V and Palm.

They're fine on the V and Palm, however, I don't like them on the 60C. I find it makes the color screen much harder to read - a little too much glare.

-=-

michelle

Just got my 60c screen protectors and I'm happy with them.

Did you spend forever trying to cut them to fit? I dunno how much time I spent on Saturday trying to get the darn thing to fit w/o any overlap (the overlap gets fuzzy darn it!) I did, however, make a template so that when I need to replace the one there (heaven forbid) I can just use the template to make another perfect screen protector!

I was quite disappointed, actually, that they were not form fitting.

-=-

michelle

This Meguiars product called PlastX that I found in my local Ace Hardware store -totally- removed ALL scratches and the screen is like new. Check out the Meguiar's website and from the main page, type in "plastx" in the search box (can't direct-link from the site).

Here's the link.

If you're going to go the PDA protector route - get a protector specifically made for color screens. These shouldn't have the textured surface that you'll find on some screen protectors.