Does Anyone Have A Canoe?

Team Lyons

We just picked up our first canoe the other day. After a few weeks of research we ended up with an Old Town Penobscot 17. Now all we have to do is wait for the weather to warm up a little. I can't wait to place a few caches along the local rivers in our area. Just wanted to know if anyone else has one that's all.

We just picked up our first canoe the other day. After a few weeks of research we ended up with an Old Town  Penobscot 17. Now all we have to do is wait for the weather to warm up a little.  I can't wait to place a few caches along the local rivers in our area.  Just wanted to know if anyone else has one that's all.

I'm interested in purchasing a canoe ... curious why you chose the Old Town Penobscot 17 ...

I have an old, aluminum Grumman. Its far from the best canoe around and I'd like to buy a new one. I've done a lot of research and have it narrowed down to the We-no-nah Spirit II, We-no-nah Sundowner, or the Mad River Explorer.

Blue Hole (anyone remember Blue Hole?).

Funny you mention Blue Hole. When I canoed the Allagash Wilderness Waterway in Maine a few years ago, the guy I rented from had two kinds of canoes. Old Town and Blue Hole. I don't care for Old Towns and had never heard of Blue Hole. I figured it couldn't be worse than the Old Town, so went with it. The canoe was so old and the hull so damaged and worn from years of dragging over rocks, I was afraid my knee would go through the floor. I didn't think it would last one hour on the river, let alone 5 days. But it did.

When I arrived home, I looked up Blue Hole on the Internet. Couldn't find much on it, but I think they went out of business sometime in the 70's.

Edited by briansnat

I have owned 5 canoes in my life (3 @ one time). My current baby is a 12.5 ft

Oldtown Pack, a one-man canoe. I've owned it 4 years now

and racked up over 600 miles with it. :D<_<

119047_13900.JPG

And I've found 3 caches and placed 1 with it!

I wish there were more canoe accessible caches in my area. :D

Edited by sept1c_tank
I have owned 5 canoes in my life (3 @ one time). My current baby is a 12.5 ft

Oldtown Pack, a one-man canoe. I've owned it 4 years now

and racked up over 600 miles with it. :D<_<

119047_13900.JPG

And I've found 3 caches and placed 1 with it!

I wish there were more canoe accessible caches in my area. :D

Man, I've always wanted a "Pack". A buddy of mine took his from Canada down to the Gulf one summer......my cousin has done the same trip, and in fact is planning another this spring.......

Blue Hole lives on! Their website has a good summary of the company's history. I was familiar wih them when they were in Tennessee. Didn't know so much had happened since then.

Another good canoe company that didn't get a lot of exposure outside the southeast is Dagger. They were bought by the Perception/Watermark conglomerate a few years ago. Seems like their focus has move to kayaks since then, but if you can find a used one they're quite nice.

For those interested in an Old Towne alternative, you may also want to look at We-no-nah and Mad River. Nice boats.

And because you don't spend enough time in forums already, here is a canoe forum to visit.

Edited by Karma Hunter
We just picked up our first canoe the other day. After a few weeks of research we ended up with an Old Town  Penobscot 17.

Yes. I have the same model. Got it for Christmas 2 years ago. It's been alot of fun. The main reason we got it was to take it up to Canada where we used to vacation. Once we moved to Rochester, NY we have gotten alot more use out of it then we ever imagined we would! We can't wait to grab a few of those 5 star caches that need a boat, and place a few of our own, come spring!

Edit to add:

We also got the "stabilizer floats" from CastleCraft they were great in convincing folks to join us in the canoe who were otherwise leery. You don't get that sensation of tipping that you normally might. They also sell some other fun gadgets, that you could probably make yourself. <_<

Edited by OurWoods
I'm interested in purchasing a canoe ... curious why you chose the Old Town Penobscot 17 ...

I own an Old Town Discovery 174 (used to have two of 'em) and probably the biggest reason anyone buys any Old Town canoe is reliability. Old Town is one of the oldest names in canoe-making... they've been making them since like 1880 or somesuch.

Old Town, unlike some of the other brands mentioned in this thread, tends to stick with "what works." They don't offer many leading-edge designs or materials.

That said, their standand materials, namely Crosslink and Royalex are virtually indestructible. I've seen pics of Old Town canoes bent around a tree, straightened with a few kicks and put back in the water. The material is a bit heavier than other materials, but if weight isn't your main concern, the stuff is tough. Many reputable rental places offer Old Town.

I'm not saying Old Town is the best, or that other canoe-makers suck. I'm saying that Old Town has a reputation for building canoes that last. Look on eBay, you'll find people offering such things as "1957 Old Town Explorer" and they sell for quite a bit of money.

[added]

On that note, the Old Town Discovery I used to have, I sold on eBay for roughly 90% of my initial retail purchase price. That's holding its value!

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

Let's see... hmm, two sea kayaks--Dagger Baja (hers) and Dagger Atlantis (his)... two beater motor boats that need a lot of work (or to be tax-deduction donated), a Rhodes 22 sloop... oh yeah, I do have a canoe, and it is a ... Penobscot 17!

It's a nice boat, a bit rolly without a strong keel, but has a nice easy glide. I've used it more on open water than rivers. I haven't used it to cache, but have used the kayak, preferring the canoe more for fishing and the occasional camping trip.

I've got an old 15' Alumicraft - with about 100 layers of old camo paint on it

from various hunting seasons. It doesnt leak, isnt quite flat anymore, from a tree falling across it last summer.

There are a few caches around here (MN/WI) that require a canoe- This cache will be my first attempted from a canoe-probably from the easy one <_<

There are 3 seperate starting points to get to this cache, depending on your ability/courage/stupidity/etc-

Does Anyone Have A Canoe?

You mean like this one?

Canoe.jpg

I love canoeing. This picture is our family canoe (a 50+ year old Old Towne canvas sided canoe) in Upstate New York.

I used to work on the Canoe attraction at Disneyland, and it was the best job I've ever had. it was a blast! I'm saving up for a canoe of my own now.

Don't remember what brand, length, or anything like that, but yeah I have one. It hasn't been used in several years for various reasons (nasty water in the area, boaters trying to tip me with their wake, etc.), but I've enjoyed the times I've had it out.

I'm really wanting to get a kayak though. I used one on a river/lake in Michigan a few summers ago, and was amazed at how easy it was to paddle, manuever, and pick up speed, despite my young cousin in the front 'helping' to paddle.

We just picked up our first canoe the other day. After a few weeks of research we ended up with an Old Town  Penobscot 17. Now all we have to do is wait for the weather to warm up a little.  I can't wait to place a few caches along the local rivers in our area.  Just wanted to know if anyone else has one that's all.

I read the reviews of this model on Paddling.net and have talked to several outfitters and canoest and the Penobscot 17 was on my short list of boats to look at. Several things led me to this boat. My weight plus the weight of others and gear that will be in the boat was a big factor. The price was right too. I picked it up from This Outfitter for $825! Most other places sell it for around $1100 give or take a few bucks.

This past spring I went and bought a cheap "Pelican" (same as the Colemans) from Dicks Sporting Goods for $200-300. Then I bought a trailer for it from Hart Designs for $400-500 and only had it in the water once. Mainly because of the dern mosquitos in Massachusetts. Now it's at my parents house a few hours away in Georgia. Can't keep it here in the Apartment complex. But I intend and hope to go and use it this year.

i have a kayak. i use it for kayaking (duh) but not really for caching. i prefer to wait until winter and treat those caches as drive-ups.

(added)

come to think of it, the only hydrocache i've ever hunted AS a hydrocache was one that we couldn't find in winter. turns out it was gone.

Edited by flask

2 (two) wonderful lightweight Winonah 18' kevlar Sundowners - 45 lbs & ~55 lbs and two sets of laminated bent paddles.

Like Pto above, a falling tree wrapped our canoe around a picnic table. After insurance replaced it, we repaired the old one and now have two excellent canoes. The canoeing has slowed down considerably since taking up geocaching, but we did use a canoe to grab a couple of 5 star caches--great fun!

See: A Sailors Grave at Tony Grove and Craziest Cache by a Dam Site

UtahJean

OLD Osage 15 Standard

Length             15'

Beam              36"

Depth              13.5"

Approx. Wt.      69 lbs

Mat. I.D.          6061-T6

Gauge             .050

Max. Wt. Cap.   580 lbs

I have first hand knowledge of this canoe and I can tell you . . . it isn't this nice. But, it's functional and if it wasn't for that canoe I would never have met Mopar. I love that ugly canoe!

:lol:

Happy caching and stuff! :lol: