I Think We Need Virtual Geocaching.

bons

There are people afraid that children will be killed by multi-tools and swiss army knives (give them something safe instead, like lawn darts. Lawn darts are safe for children. Swiss army knives aren't. Remember that.)

There are people who think all caches should be transparent. 9-11 seems to be mentioned frequently in these threads.

There are people who worry that actually using the parks will damage the enviroment. (Especially if people leave the path.)

For these people and their children, I propose we work on virtual geocaching.

This is not as far out as it seems:

Virtual geocache

The actual cache

There are already a number of people interested in this concept. People who log locationless caches without actually traveling to them come to mind. So obviously there is a demand for this sort of thing.

If we do this, we could safely leave physical geocaching up to "trained professionals" or basicly anyone willing to take a walk in the woods without fear being killed by a malfunctioning explosive McToy. We could have warnings about geocaching in an effort to discourage (read "encourage") children leaving the safety of their TV and going for a walk in the local park.

Let's just admit that this is a dangerous hazardous sport and that you can (and likely will) sprain your ankle at some point and therefore you should only geocache at your own risk if you're a consenting adult who has discussed this with their doctor.

And for everyone else, there's always virtual geocaching, where, from the comfort of your own home, you can log the same caches that the professionals log.

Edited by bons

Would there be a PS2 version? If so my son might get interested. <_<

It could be an interesting variation, if every cache were done as well as the example.

I could also see the potential for goecaching becoming a paying profession:

The professional geocacher arrives at the parking coordinates, digital cam corder in hand.

Still and action images of the area are recorded for later integration into the virtual version cache.

Later, in the studio, clever software combines topographic information and the images.

The "New" icon goes up on the site notifying consumers that a new cache is available for download. Major credit cards accepted. :D

The listing site collects the cash and pays the cacher for each time the cache is downloaded.

There are people afraid that children will be killed by multi-tools and swiss army knives (give them something safe instead, like lawn darts. Lawn darts are safe for children. Swiss army knives aren't. Remember that.)

Ah, bons, you're dating yourself. Lawn darts have been banned. It's amazing any of us survived to adulthood, between the lawn darts and violent Saturday morning cartoons like Bugs Bunny.

Again, I suggest you go after the people responsible for this sort of thinking, not the folks at geocaching.com who are just trying to protect a fun activity from those who would like to see the whole concept turned virtual.