California Geocoin Tracking Site

Marky

<_< Now if I could just get corysmom to log in the geocoin she got out of my cache, I would be happy. I don't think she understands that some coins are keepers and most are for tracking like a travel bug. I am going to check and see if she logged it. If not, I will log it for her. Could you e-mail her the theory behind the geocoins? I already e-mailed her once about logging the coin.

Thanks Marky for the extra effort on getting the tracking site running...

TBC (to be continued)

nscaler

I asked Joani to make up a .pdf file that would print out a sheet of info tags that you could cut up and include with the coin in the ziplock bag. That helps a lot in letting fellow geocachers know that the coins are meant to move. (It would also have the website tracking URL on it, which is, unfortunately, not on the coin itself.)

--Marky

She did log it. My bad.

When I got the coins from Bobkat92, he gave me the stickers to put on the bags with the geocoin website on the bag. I think she still plans on keeping the coin - she left a $5.00 bill in the cache. Unfortunately, I would use more than $5.00 of gas to go get the money out of the cache. Oh well, this kind of thing was bound to happen.

I am planning on putting out some "keeper" coins gradually out into circulation. I would like to see the tracked coins move (as would you probably). Some people get kind of cranky about their travel bugs being held or stolen. Now I kinda know how they feel.

<_<

<_< Now if I could just get corysmom to log in the geocoin she got out of my cache, I would be happy. I don't think she understands that some coins are keepers and most are for tracking like a travel bug.

Good luck! I'll list all of my coins on the tracking site, but I don't believe that I'll see many of them again once I place them into caches. I expect most of them to be kept by the finders. They are collector's items.

You got stickers? I didn't see any when we got our coins.

Hey Marky, you should have gotten stickers.

When I sent the San Jose distribution site Geocoins to Kristine, I included the stickers.

Did you get little zip lock bags for each Geocoin? If not, you should have.

When I sent the San Jose ordere to Kristine, I just kep the Geocoins in the packing tubes. Kristine had offered to label and bag each Geocoin, so I took her up on her offer.

I tried the new search page. Pretty cool. Look up who has their coins registered and how many.

I accidently hit "GO" with no name in the field (owners) and ALL of them showed up. This is not bad. This is actually good. Maybe you could put this "general search" into the instructions?

Hiding out - waiting for the downpour... :lol:

You got stickers?  I didn't see any when we got our coins.

Hey Marky, you should have gotten stickers.

When I sent the San Jose distribution site Geocoins to Kristine, I included the stickers.

Did you get little zip lock bags for each Geocoin? If not, you should have.

We got the little baggies, just not the stickers. No big deal though, since Joani already made cool labels for ours. :P

I got little stickers on my bags :P I can't believe Bobkatz and his army of minions did all that bagging and stickering :P You should've posted it as an Event Cache and had a party :P

Got all but one of my coins registered (the lowest numbered one I'll keep). Great site Marky :D .

I love the search feature. Still doesn't look like too many coins out yet. I noticed that coin 277 took me to the Hide and Seek page, I presume because the cache ID # doesn't exist. Just an observation.

I've posted two .pdf files on the tracking page. The front page has the tracking website URL and the back page (which could be optional) has a place for the owner to sign, and has travel bug like info. For those that want the coin be more likely to move, include the back page. For those that expect or wish the coin to be more like a normal trade item and be collected, just print the front page.

--Marky

There seems to be a lot of problems with the date field. It was probably a mistake to have this be a free form field. I put today's date into the field, formatted correctly, but somehow it is still getting messed up. I will probably have to change the date field into combo box selections or at least do some checking for valid dates. Other than that, things seem to be going fairly smoothly. :)

--Marky

OK, I'm not sure I've hosed things up or not, but here goes. I put the coin in a cache, but before I could get it logged someone picked it up and got the log in before me.

Should I just let it go, or should I do the "drop" now. Seems to me I'd get things out of order and make it look confusing.

Go ahead, give me the 50 lashes with the wet noodle :o

Here's the cache I dropped it in if you need to look:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7-F9308F0CA1B8}

OK, I'm not sure I've hosed things up or not, but here goes. I put the coin in a cache, but before I could get it logged someone picked it up and got the log in before me.

Should I just let it go, or should I do the "drop" now. Seems to me I'd get things out of order and make it look confusing.

Go ahead, give me the 50 lashes with the wet noodle :o

Here's the cache I dropped it in if you need to look:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7-F9308F0CA1B8}

That's a tough choice. Basically, if you date your drop log so that it's the day before the grab, all will be well. If it's the same date (or a later date), it would be confusing and I would just let it go. So, if you can make the dates work so that the drop is before the grab, then go ahead.

Just a thought... is there a way of receiving emails about our geocoin movements? :rolleyes: I had looked mine up today because I thought it odd that it hadn't moved.... But I saw that it had moved a couple of times since then. Of course if this is not possible then I can just train myself to keep checking every couple of days.

Edited by Camel680
Just a thought...  is there a way of receiving emails about our geocoin movements?    :rolleyes:    I had looked mine up today because I thought it odd that it hadn't moved....  But I saw that it had moved a couple of times since then.  Of course if this is not possible then I can just train myself to keep checking every couple of days.

I've been purposely keeping this site from requiring a login, but maybe it's time to have some kind of optional registration so that you can get notifications. Let me work on that.

Sorry Marky! Did it again!  Would you fix the drop date for coin 0286? Site say 2024-04-03.

Should be 03/24/2004.

Will this bug be fixed anytime soon?

I haven't been able to figure out why it's happening. I put in the date in the correct format. Did you edit the date, or just leave it? I'm assuming that you just left it, since it should have been correct. I wonder if it has something to do with a user's date settings for the browser. I'll fix up the date.

--Marky

Marky, Thanks for the correction to coin 0286. Could you please update the year from 2003 to 2004?

I just logged OWN IT logs for 0287 and 0288. After clicking the button to INITIALIZE YOUR GEOCOIN! I am clicking on the DROPPED IT! button. Today's date showed like this: 04-03-25. (the date format also shows like that when I click the FOUND IT! button right after logging an OWN IT!)

But, if I log an OWN IT! and then return to the TRACKING HOME PAGE and search the coin again, when clicking on the FOUND IT! or DROPPED IT! buttons, the date shows in the proper format (03/25/04)

Scott

Also: The 'Return to the Tracking Home Page' link on the 'Logging an owner record' page, links to your Smashed Penny site.

Edited by Great Scott!

This is late in coming, (as I registered all my coins already) but I couldn't find a link to "Register" my coins. I had to search for each one, then use the "Own it" link to register it. Is that how it's supposed to be done?

If most of the coins are already registered it's probably not worth playing with, I just assumed there's be an obvious link for registering them.

Thanks for all your work on this--I know it's taken up many (un-reimbursed) days of your time, and I think the site is great.

There's no specific register link. The "own it" link is the correct way to do it. I was definitely going for the minimalist approach, and this one didn't require me to create any new pages. B) Everyone seems to be able to figure it out without asking, so I think I did okay. :D You're right, probably too late to do anything about it now.

--Marky

Just a thought...  is there a way of receiving emails about our geocoin movements?    :bad:    I had looked mine up today because I thought it odd that it hadn't moved....  But I saw that it had moved a couple of times since then.  Of course if this is not possible then I can just train myself to keep checking every couple of days.

I've been purposely keeping this site from requiring a login, but maybe it's time to have some kind of optional registration so that you can get notifications. Let me work on that.

Any progress on this? I too would like to be emailed when any activity is logged for one of my coins.

Just a thought...  is there a way of receiving emails about our geocoin movements?    :bad:    I had looked mine up today because I thought it odd that it hadn't moved....  But I saw that it had moved a couple of times since then.  Of course if this is not possible then I can just train myself to keep checking every couple of days.

Any progress on this? I too would like to be emailed when any activity is logged for one of my coins.

I'll try to set aside some time to do this.

--Marky

Look for one of my new Moun10bike coins to show up at an event in South Pierce County. Oh and by the way..to clarify, I have the Canadian Coin and i'm looking for the California coin...

PS..I also noticed you didn't drop one of your personal coins in Olympia yesterday...I've been waiting to get my hands on one of them puppies too. You gonna drop one soon?

PS..I also noticed you didn't drop one of your personal coins in Olympia yesterday...I've been waiting to get my hands on one of them puppies too. You gonna drop one soon?

Pepper has a personal sig coin? How come I'm last to find out?!? I want one!

I also don't have a Moun10bike coin.

--Marky

Marky,

Is there a way to transfer owneership of a coin? It's just a formality but I'm trading one with a mid-west cacher and I'm sure he would like to see his name as the owner instead of mine (it's already registered).

I was going to email you but thought that others may want to know this as well.

Thanks!

Marky,

Is there a way to transfer owneership of a coin? It's just a formality but I'm trading one with a mid-west cacher and I'm sure he would like to see his name as the owner instead of mine (it's already registered).

I was going to email you but thought that others may want to know this as well.

Thanks!

Yeah, I can switch ownership without too much problems. Just send me an email with the details.

--Marky

I've updated the tracking site. With the help of boulter's coordinate grabbing class, I've added mileage calculation. The tracking page now has a top mileage list. There are some errors due to currently not allowing editing of entries. If you see a problem (like duplicate entries, incorrect or invalid waypoints, etc.) let me know and I can try to fix them. The current top mileage coin is one that went to China and back (same person). There is also one that went to the Jamaica and back via different cachers. Pretty cool. It's neat to see that there are still a lot of coins being logged.

--Marky

I've updated the tracking site. With the help of boulter's coordinate grabbing class, I've added mileage calculation. The tracking page now has a top mileage list.

Very cool! i've got hte #4 coin right now. Woo Hoo!

Don't know how anybody is going to catch up with the coin that went to China and back, though. That's quite a journey to catch up with!