Gpsmap 60cs Map Question

nonnipoppy

I have a 60CS on order from TigerGPS. They say today "Garmin is still telling us to expect our first shipment of GPSMAP 60CS units on Feb. 27. That is all we know for now."

I have no experience with autorouting at all. I live in rural Arkansas and cache locally. We do travel to more populated areas to cache some (Dallas, Memphis, Tulsa, OKC, etc).

I currently own MapSource United States Topo maps.

What maps would work best for my situation?

During my recent cache hunts in the Ozarks around Jasper/Harrison, I used MetroGuide U.S.A. (which should be comparable to City Select) & Topo US. The Metro did fine on highways & inside city limits but to show the smaller backroads and more detail I had to resort to the Topo. Hope that helps.

Don't let the name "City"select throw you. I just got a Garmin 60C and it really rocks. The "CitySelect" software has all roads even my dirt driveway. I too live in the boonsticks. I suggest that you go to the Garmin website here

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/

and click on the map viewer in the upper right hand corner. Then select City Select North America V5. When the map comes up zoom in on your area and it will show you what to expect from the software with the exact detail the software provides. Let me know how it works out.

KTF !! GBWY !!

Edited by Trafcon

I agree with Trafcon. I use City Select 4.whatever and it is fantastic - ESPECIALLY in the boonies! I was navigating roads called "dirt road" in the Ocala National Forest. Of course, it led me terribly astray ONE time (only) but that turned out to be a good thing because it motivated me to buy a Jeep! LOL! Read my log for Rodman Dam Cache GCDDDE for the rest of the story.

P.S. I am looking at the 60c myself. It's just a matter of time now....