60cs Seemingly Infinite Delays?

K-OS2233

GPScity.ca just announced (16-feb) that the 60cs will be shipping from GARMIN on March 5th. Now, how hard can it be to add a few sensors and some screens? It's not like Garmin never released something like it before :(

Anyhow needless to say, I am getting very anxious, a little too much. Is checking your order every day considered too anxious? Even though you know it's not coming for another month? :o

There was two of the CS's for sale on Ebay. The guy originally guaranteed he would have his on February 27th for shipment. Price wasn't too bad if your in a rush, but now I see he has taken them off Ebay due to the product no longer being available. So that is what it says. I wrote to the guy hoping I will get some kind of answer from him. I wonder what has happened that Garmin has backed these up so much and makes you wonder if this is the unit you want now. I am somwhat ticked as I personally think Garmin should have had these ready for Christmas. Just my thinking and seriously thinking of canceling my CS and getting something else as I am without a GPS right now.

murph

OH and by the way, I think I clicked report instead of "add reply" sorry about that and hope the moderator catches it.

murph

Now, how hard can it be to add a few sensors and some screens?
You could get a 60c and add sensors to it yourself. Might even save yourself some money... <_<

I had a Vista and I used my compass all the time. I don't think I would buy a GPS without the compass. The altimeter is not a big deal.

murph

Here is the reply from the guy on E-bay

"The Garmin rep called me this morning and said due to insufficient supply the 60CS will be delayed for release another month. I'm thinking their OEM manufacturer was unable to produce enough units in a timely manner and Garmin did not want to do a partial release. Please continue to check back on my auctions as when I know the time frame I will place the auctions again.

Best regards,"

I wonder what Amazon will do as they have been posting March 5th. It's not good news as far as I am concerned.

I'm starting to think it may even be a marketing strategy. This way, they sell many 60c's since people just can't wait any longer.

GPScity.ca says March 5th, if it gets delayed one more time I am scared I might change the order to a 76cs. You know hwo it is.....

60c or 60cs? Bah, for a few dollars more Ill get the 60cs because of the compas

60cs or 76cs? Bah, for a few dollars more Ill get the 76cs because of the memory

And before you know, the Purolator guy is knocking on the door with a 276c (because of it's larger screen of course).

I hate waiting. I especally hate it when companies (and people for that matter) make false promises and get your hopes up for nothing.

Upgrading from a Legend to a 60cs better be worth it...

Unless you are dead set on the 60CS I recommend the 60C which is available now. It is the same unit but without the barometric altimeter and the electronic compass and is $50.00 less. I got mine a week ago and it really rocks. I had a Garmin V but this thing puts it to shame spped and other wise. The graphics on the TFT screen are neat.

BTW I got mine at the local West Marine store. They had it for the MSRP of $449.00 but they match the best internet price plus shipping in the store if you take in a recent printout so I got it at the store for $376.90 which was the price at GPSnow. Whether you get the 60C or the 60CS you will be plesantly surprised.

I'm sure I would be happy with a 60c, but I fugured it is time to upgrade properly from my Legend.

The thing that annoyed me the most about my Legend was I had to move around on a trail to orient myself. When you are looking at a bunch of waypoints on your GPS, and you have no idea which direction you are facing, it gets annoying (well me anyway).

I couldn't care less about the barometer, those things need constant adjustment anyway.

I am not waiting on the CS, I have already purchased the 60c and it is great!! However, I am on the TVnav.com email list. here is what they posted today.

Garmin just told me the now expect to start shipping the 60CS around mid

March. Sorry for the bad news. Thanks.

Doesn't sound good for you guys!!

I wonder what exactly Garmin is trying to do with this, if it is intended, or if they are just having problems????

Unless you are dead set on the 60CS I recommend the 60C which is available now. It is the same unit but without the barometric altimeter and the electronic compass and is $50.00 less.

The street price is only about $45 difference. So for $45 and a little patience, and can get the GPS you really want. Or spend the next few years wishing you had waited a little. That's a no-brainer to me.

Unless you are dead set on the 60CS I recommend the 60C which is available now.  It is the same unit but without the barometric altimeter and the electronic compass and is $50.00 less.

The street price is only about $45 difference. So for $45 and a little patience, and can get the GPS you really want. Or spend the next few years wishing you had waited a little. That's a no-brainer to me.

My problem is that I used the compass so much on my Vista. I would hate to get the C and then be sorry I didn't wait for the CS. You see, Murphy's law is that if I changed my order to the C, then Garmin would ship the CS's to everyone else the next day. "If anything can go wrong, it will""

murph

If you use the compass a lot, then I'd say wait for the 60cs. Personally, I had (still have actually) a Vista and while I used the compass at first, I found it annoying that I had to calibrate it every time I changed batteries and before long, I stopped calibrating it and stopped using it.

Needless to say, I ordered a 60c, and haven't missed the magnetic compass. But YMMV.

If you use the compass a lot, then I'd say wait for the 60cs. Personally, I had (still have actually) a Vista and while I used the compass at first, I found it annoying that I had to calibrate it every time I changed batteries and before long, I stopped calibrating it and stopped using it.

I simply change the batteries on my Vista while in my car and plugged into the cigarette lighter power cord. You'll never have to re-calibrate.

Not to keep an old thread going but maybe Garmin waited with the CS until the C was out a bit. I see the C has already a firmware update. Maybe Garmin will ship the CS with the newer firmaware. I would have wanted the unit and updated the firmware myself instead of waiting. We will see hopefully Garmin will release the CS soon.

Update for the C. Notice The Corrected items.

Murph

Added Resume Navigation and Recalculate options to the Map, Compass, and Highway Navigation pages.

Added speed-filtering feature to the Marine Setup.

Added Pedestrian and Bicycle modes to the Follow Road options.

Added vertical elevation profiling for routes and saved tracks for use with future MapSource products.

Added support to automatically turn the backlight on if external power is connected.

Moved Facilities Find item from the Marine Points submenu to the main Find menu.

Added a Remove All option to the Recent Finds page.

Added yards and nautical miles as units to the Off-Road Route Transition by Distance option.

Added nautical miles as a unit by which to project a waypoint.

Defaulted the Project Waypoint Distance units to match the system’s distance unit type.

Added New Zealand Transverse Mercator and Austrian Grid support.

Updated language translations.

Enabled the Active button on the Route List page to work with all route types.

Enabled the Active Route page to be in the main page sequence if navigating an on-route GoTo.

Corrected a problem with calendar memory that caused records to become unavailable temporarily.

Corrected a problem with the calendar Remove All option that caused points associated with days in the future to not be removed.

Corrected a problem that caused elevation data requiring five digits to not display correctly.

Corrected a problem that could cause a route to be deleted while editing it on the map.

Corrected a problem that could cause the unit to not respond or display a 'Software Missing' message when adding a point to a new route.

Corrected a problem where duplicate exit roads could not be selected.

Corrected a highlight problem when searching for user waypoints by name.

Corrected a problem where elevation for a user waypoint could be rounded incorrectly.

Corrected a problem that could cause valid intersections to not be found.

Corrected a problem where some addresses in Europe could not be found when the scope was reduced by selecting either a city or country.

Corrected the drawing of Follow Road routes in some roundabouts.

Corrected the drawing of European tide charts.

Or instead, spend that $45 on a quality compass from Silva or the like. Then, when your batteries fail, you still have some way of telling how to get home!

I simply change the batteries on my Vista while in my car and plugged into the cigarette lighter power cord. You'll never have to re-calibrate.

Re-calibrating increases the accuracy. Unless you carry a declination map with you a Silva wont be as good as a Electronic GPSr compass. A GPSr knows where you are and knows the correct ajustments.

I just got a note that the GPSmap 60CS will begin shipping on March 15th.

Interesting, I got a note from GPSdiscount two days ago that they would have them in ten days? I guess until I actually see the thing I won't believe anything. As much of a Garmin fan as I am I am disapointed. Not so much of when but just not knowing.

murph

The anticipation is killing me!

I think GPScity.ca has gotten more hits from me than anyone else! :D

So I keep looking at accessories and try finding reviews on it, and reassure myself that it WILL begin shipping March 5th!

Good luck to all the rest of you, and try resist chanign your order for the 60c, I know I have :D

I don't know how much longer I can hold out. This will be my first GPSr, I've never "geocached" before, and I'm on the road for work right now and keep looking at some local caches and thinking about how bored I get here when I'm not working. It'll make a man go out and buy a cheapie GPSr just to have something to do. Makes me want to order that 60c too...AARRGGHH

Bought another book to slake by thirst for activity over the weekend.

Albany (and later Warner Robbins) Ga isn't a real happening place. :D

Edited by ServiceRifle
I emailed TigerGPS.com today and they are now saying March 27 for their initial shipment on the 60CS.

OH thanks a lot. I was hoping for shipment this week and now we have to wait until the end of the month. If Garmin ships March 27th that means we won't get them until the first part of April.

Maybe a Magellan is in order here. This is frustrating.

murph :):D:D:D:):D

Or, maybe just wait for the 76CS.  Is there anyone taking orders for it yet?

Taking orders, yes....

However the 60CS delays don't give me confidence in an on time 76C/CS delivery...

You would think things would speed up:

1) they've done the 60C.

2) they've done barameters and electronic compass's before, so the 60CS should be fast in coming right?

3) Once the 60C and 60CS are shipped the 76CS is comprised of components in production either in the 60series or the existing 76 series, so it should come to market expediantly, right?

Anyway, these things are likely coming over on a boat which takes time and you never know what customs will do sometimes and working for a large multinational, I've learned what mfrg' abroad can be like.... :rolleyes:

FWIW...I do have a 76CS order placed with TVNav and will be GPS'less until that time as I sold my much beloved 76s to my brother.

Edited by Us 5 Camp

The supply of the Color Display modules may have slowed things down, but I think the GPS units without the sensors do come to the market more quickly than the sensors models. The Meridian Platinum had been delayed awhile when the meridians were introduced, but when they did come out, the Platinum had an excellent 3 axis electronic compass. Why Garmin still uses 2 axis electronic compasses, i dont know.

However the 60CS delays don't give me confidence in an on time 76C/CS delivery...

FWIW...I do have a 76CS order placed with TVNav and will be GPS'less until that time as I sold my much beloved 76s to my brother.

I sold my Vista way too early also. I sold it based on most of the retailers telling me the CS would be availalbe within a week of the C model. All retailers told me that so I am assuming Garmin passed that information on to the retailers. However, Garmin's press release did say it would be March. I would like to wait for the 76CS but being without is tough. The 76C according to Garmin's press release is a lot sooner than June though. Not sure if I should cancel my 60CS.

Who makes a unit comparible to Garmin's 60CS and 76CS? Maybe that is the route I will go.

murph

I jumped on the 60C wagon since Garmin is using the same LCD display Module on their 76C/CS models. I really wanted 180x240 instead of the 160x240 on the 60C/CS models. It makes enough of a difference when navigating for that little bit more width of screen. I wished that the manufacturer had the wider display, but they are keeping costs low this way. The only benefit of the 76C over 60C would be the memory. Now all i need is a mini notebook computer to go with my new 60C.

Actually they will start shipping any day now, from Garmin to retailers.

Like where did you get that information. I just got an email from one of the retailers telling me they would not be shipped out to retailers until March 10th. By the time retailers get them and then re-ship them out to us it will be at least March 17th?? I only hope sooner.

murph

dadgum Mid March now.... I can't take many more delays, driving me crazy :lol:

Garmins Home page they have been shipped. tvnav.com says they will have them Monday for shipping. I hope the rest of the suppliers get thiers also. One excited dude here. TVNAV.com also says that the 76CS will be available in April. Tempted again to cancel my 60 and hold out but I am afraid of delays again.

murph

dadgum Mid March now.... I can't take many more delays, driving me crazy  :lol:

Garmins Home page they have been shipped. tvnav.com says they will have them Monday for shipping. I hope the rest of the suppliers get thiers also. One excited dude here. TVNAV.com also says that the 76CS will be available in April. Tempted again to cancel my 60 and hold out but I am afraid of delays again.

murph

Good news - sounds promising!