Gpx Files

Keith Watson

With fear of being told I’m asking a question already answered I am going to ask it anyway. What information is in the GPX files that can be downloaded and is there a sample GPX file I can look at?

It contains (almost) all the variable information that you can see on a cache page, excluding images (though the image URLs are there). About the only useful info that's not in the file is the Last Found date.

The last 5 logs for every cache are included, plus any additional logs you may have made.

I believe there's a sample file on Clayjar's site (clayjar.com) somewhere.

Thanks. The only thing I can see missing is bug information.

Bug info is included. The example before must not of had a bug in it. This one does:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<gpx xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" version="1.0" creator="Groundspeak Pocket Query" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0/gpx.xsd http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0 http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0/cache.xsd" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0">
 <desc>Geocache file generated by Groundspeak</desc>
 <author>Groundspeak</author>
 <email>contact@Groundspeak.com</email>
 <time>2004-02-18T08:27:38.8537500-08:00</time>
 <keywords>cache, geocache, Groundspeak</keywords>
 <bounds minlat="41.685633" minlon="-88.021267" maxlat="41.685633" maxlon="-88.021267" />
 <wpt lat="41.685633" lon="-88.021267">
   <time>2003-12-31T00:00:00.0000000-08:00</time>
   <name>GCHCXN</name>
   <desc>County Line by Stunod, Traditional Cache (2/2.5)</desc>
   <url>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1135b2fc-297c-4c7e-b1ce-eb80c7030ccc</url>
   <urlname>County Line by Stunod</urlname>
   <sym>Geocache</sym>
   <type>Geocache|Traditional Cache</type>
   <Groundspeak:cache id="107748" available="True" archived="False" xmlns:Groundspeak="http://www.Groundspeak.com/cache/1/0">
     <Groundspeak:name>County Line</Groundspeak:name>
     <Groundspeak:placed_by>Stunod</Groundspeak:placed_by>
     <Groundspeak:owner id="72570">Stunod</Groundspeak:owner>
     <Groundspeak:type>Traditional Cache</Groundspeak:type>
     <Groundspeak:container>Regular</Groundspeak:container>
     <Groundspeak:difficulty>2</Groundspeak:difficulty>
     <Groundspeak:terrain>2.5</Groundspeak:terrain>
     <Groundspeak:country>United States</Groundspeak:country>
     <Groundspeak:state>Illinois</Groundspeak:state>
     <Groundspeak:short_description html="True">Located very close to the boundary between DuPage and Cook Counties.  Cache is only about 100' from an established path.  Total hike (round trip) from suggested parking is a little over a mile, and offers some beautiful views.<br><br>Terrain rating may be higher after heavy rains.</Groundspeak:short_description>
     <Groundspeak:long_description html="True">Cache is a camo painted rubbermaid container.  In addition to the usual trade items, there are three of my signature flashlight-biners in the cache for the first few finders.<br><br>

Suggested parking is at <b>N41 41.565 W88 01.293</b> (although it is possible to access this cache from the south).  From the suggested parking, walk about 100 yards west down the road to find the trail heading south.<br><br>
(This parking spot will also put you near 5 of m2orris' <a href="http://www.navicache.com/cgi-bin/db/displaycache2.pl?CacheID=2794">Clu-ché</a> series caches.)</Groundspeak:long_description>
     <Groundspeak:encoded_hints>
     </Groundspeak:encoded_hints>
     <Groundspeak:logs>
       <Groundspeak:log id="2930873">
         <Groundspeak:date>2004-02-15T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:type>Found it</Groundspeak:type>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="178004">Mr.  Fantastic</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Thought I'd be able to nab the schoolkids' TB to help them out, since I am a teacher myself. Sadly, I was beaten to the cache. I dropped Buzz TB to watch over the Department of Defense materials in Waterfall Glen. I took the three TBs left earlier today. Signed Log. TFTC.</Groundspeak:text>
       </Groundspeak:log>
       <Groundspeak:log id="2929749">
         <Groundspeak:date>2004-02-15T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="152772">whitnallgps</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Came in from the south end of the preserve, it was only a .2 mile walk to the cache.  Took the three TB's that the geeks left behind and replaced with three more.  SL/TFTC.</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="2918466">
         <Groundspeak:date>2004-02-14T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="68044">Geogeek65</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Out with the Little Geek and Matthew today. We had a few TBs to drop off today. We parked at the suggested coordinates and hiked it to the cache. Carrying a 30 lb. 21 month old on your shoulders is quite a work out! Little Geek David found the cache before I even had a chance to look. 

We dropped off a TB that his 3rd grade class is going to follow. I had the pleasure of going to school this past Wednesday and explain geocaching to Mrs. Tracy's class. I had one TB tag available so I asked if they wanted to make on up and I would drop it off. They are going to track it for the rest of the school year!.

We left geek stuff and the boys took a mini football.
TFTC!</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="2749528">
         <Groundspeak:date>2004-01-13T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="172995">CubDenMom</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Finally got out to this one!  Love the terrain in the Bluff Road area--this park definitely has it's ups and downs, especially to the south of the cache!  Had to make it a quick dash, as it was an after school hunt, and we were losing daylight fast. Tons of deer and people tracks everywhere, so didn't have to worry much about adding our own :) Took tool kit, left compass/thermometer. TFTC!</Groundspeak:text>
       <Groundspeak:log id="2696091">
         <Groundspeak:date>2004-01-02T08:00:00</Groundspeak:date>
         <Groundspeak:finder id="56065">Genius Loci</Groundspeak:finder>
         <Groundspeak:text encoded="False">Hutt, Mattster, Unk and I were out hunting with Spyderuser today, but he had his own vehicle and his own ideas about parking (as usual).  After looking things over briefly, we settled for the legal, Forest Preserve lot and the longer hike, while Spyderuser pursued his theory that there must be closer parking because 'Stunod would never walk [i]THAT[/i] far to put in a cache.'

At any rate, the rest of us hit the trail, and I was soon entertaining(?) the others with spellbinding tales of hunts for other, long archived geocaches located in this very same Forest Preserve, namely 'Black Partridge Cache' and the very memorable 'Black Partridge Surprise'.  'Surprise' (GC1E07) was an excellent hide and way ahead of it's time design-wise, but the cacher who placed it hasn't been active in quite awhile, alas.  The other old cache 'Black Partridge' (GC1F23) had to be removed because it was located in the Nature Preserve back here - I hope Stunod's new stash doesn't suffer the same fate...

There was no sign of Spyderuser as we approached the search area, but we found his name freshly scrawled (along with his usual, lengthy comments and remarks) in the log.  We signed in ourselves; then began the long walk back to the car.  We could only hope that Spyderuser had enjoyed the area as much as we did, it's an enchanting hillside landscape dissected by winding streams and lovely ravines, clothed in a beautiful mature deciduous forest featuring several large, first growth oaks.  We bushwhacked much of the way, and ended up walking along the road towards the end.

When we got back, there was Spyderuser waiting for us.  Yes, he'd sneaked in via the 'back door' but had to beat a hasty retreat.  Apparently, he made good use of his time while waiting in the parking lot for the rest of us, though.  I think we may be returning yet again to this lovely Forest Preserve, next time in search of a new Spyderuser hide.

Anyway, we owe thanks to Stunod for this visit, and I'm so glad he's put a cache into the area.  It really is lovely, and makes an ideal site for a geocaching hunt.  I hope 'County Line' lasts longer than it's predecessors.    - Genius Loci ('the Guardian Spirit of a Place')</Groundspeak:text>
     </Groundspeak:logs>
     <Groundspeak:travelbugs>
       <Groundspeak:travelbug id="18375" ref="TB47C7">
         <Groundspeak:name>Buzz</Groundspeak:name>
       </Groundspeak:travelbug>
     </Groundspeak:travelbugs>
   </Groundspeak:cache>
 </wpt>
</gpx>

Edited by Stunod
Looked on clayjar, couldn't find an example.

For a sample GPX file, go to This Page at ClayJar's site and download the "Louisiana.gpx" file.

EDIT: The reason this is OK to post is because it is old data that isn't very useful, even if you happened to be in Louisiana. It's just a sample so that you can try out a GPX file using Watcher or other third party software. Posting current Groundspeak GPX files for widespread use may violate the Terms of Use unless Groundspeak's consent is obtained.

Edited by Keystone Approver
Posting current Groundspeak GPX files for widespread use may violate the Terms of Use unless Groundspeak's consent is obtained.

If I import my GPX files into GSAK, then extract a portion of my cache database from GSAK and, using GSAK, create a new GPX file, am I violating GC's TOU by passing the resulting GPX file on to someone else? My gut feeling is that is should be ok because the GPX file being distributed was not generated by GC, but by a third party program.

I just re-read the TOS and could not find any wording in it that specifically referred to GPX or LOC files although I do recall reading somewhere on the site about not distributing our PQ's to other parties. Perhaps someone could point me to the TOU for PQ's?

Gorak

EDIT: I think I just discovered the answer to my own question. I found the TOU for PQ's and it contains wording to the effect that derivative works are still subject to the license conditions and therefore redistribution in the example I noted above would not be permitted. At least, not being a lawyer, that's how I interpret it.

Edited by Gorak

I am not a copyright expert, but have had some experience. GC.com cannot copyright the information in the GPX file because it is not theirs. It is the property of the persons who posted the information in the first place. CG.com can however copyright the presentation of the data. This is in the form of the GPX file resulting from a pocket query. There fore if you read the data then re-present it by creating a new file and you have not violated and copyright laws as far a CG.com is concerned. The original creators of the caches may come after you though. Highly unlikely.

The catch is the Terms Of Use basically says anything you get from the site you can’t give to other people. You just did, but I don’t think they will mind because it is in the interest of education. And “for educational reasons” is a while different ball game.

If you have legal questions, consult a lawyer.

Hi Jeremy,

Since you are here, what would be your take on it from a GC perspective? I don't think anyone here is looking to getting into any sorts of legal disputes with GC so I don't see why a clarification from yourself or another GC representative should be an issue. My original question was to solicit guidance from GC as to the intent of the license agreement, not whether or not the agreement would stand up in court. While I'm sure you didn't intend it that way, your response seems more adversarial than helpful.

Gorak