Hello To All

First off I want to say I really missed the playful banter from all the past six weeks. I have been dealing with the devastation of divorce and was unable to interact with anybody. I want to say I appreciate all the heckling, playful banter, and genuine sharing of knowledge by all. Special thanks to Snoogans, Sparky Watts, Saxman, and Carleen.

Now on topic: I was thinking of organizing a singles geocaching event and was wondering if anyone had done this or what the administration thought of this idea. Please enter any comments on the subject for discussion. Once again, thanks for being a bright spot in my day. Rick

It might not get much of a turnout. Singles are the overwhelming minority in this sport from my experience. Single women even more so. This tends to be more of a family and couples thing from my experience, but I'm in Texas and you're in Cali-FOR-Ni-A. Things could be different over there..... :o

BTW- Bummer on the big D, man. Sorry to hear it.

Sn :(:o gans

Well having a general event might get you more action.  After all married women can hardly stand to see a single guy walking around.  If you aren't totally horrible you'll probably be getting thier single friends hooked up with you quick.

That hurts!!!!

I'll be driving through Laughlin during Sprink Break...Hmmm...a side trip to Havasu? :o

Oh wait, the wife will be with me... :(

Hello!

It's pretty well-known in these Forums that I'm a divorced guy who has found more than a handful of geocaches. So take my advice for whatever it's worth... I've been there and I know what you're going through. First off, I will NOT say "sorry about your divorce." I am sorry about the stress and the money and all that, but I'd like to encourage you to view the divorce itself as an opportunity to start a new chapter in your life, whether you wanted to or not, 'cuz it's staring you in the face. Whether it is a sad chapter or an exciting, adventurous chapter is all up to you.

I have found geocaching to be tremendously helpful to my emotional happiness as a divorced person. When I get stressed out, nothing takes my mind off of the troubles like a long walk in the woods, and concentrating on finding the cache. If I'm alone on a holiday because my daughter is with her mom, I can turn a negative into a positive by hunting caches on a day when the parks are empty. When my work friends are at a party for couples only, I can call a geocaching buddy and go find a cache. So one piece of advice is GO FIND CACHES.

As for putting together a "singles event," my first advice is: you just started the divorce process, so don't go rushing into anything. Most folks are pretty much worthless to anyone else during the first months after their divorce. When I tried going out on dates early on after my separation, I wound up talking about my divorce. Yawn. Real attractive. Instead, surround yourself with friends and HAVE FUN.

In geocaching terms, that means GO TO EVENT CACHES. Just regular ones, not anything special just for singles. Travel to an event 200 miles away for a nice change of scenery and to meet new people. Join your state or local geocaching organization if you haven't already done so. You'll wind up making friends. And who knows? after four months, six months, or a year, when you least expect it, you might just meet the coolest geocacher who happens to be single and female. Or a married geocacher who has a friend that would get along great with you. But from experience, whether it's a geocaching event or any other social event, if you try and FORCE something to happen, it usually doesn't.

That's my two cents. Make sure that neither of them go to your ex.

Thank you for the support and advice. I do say I do NOT want a relationship right now, but I figured a singles event would bring together single people who have the same interests. I am now one of the shunned singles that former married friends shy away from because of my new single evilness might spread to their mates. I was thinking a singles event as a way to bring together people to branch out and fun together. Anyway, keep the input coming. Rick