Getting Started

papaamigo

After reading about Geocaching for a couple weeks my intrigue got to me, and this past weekend I purchased a sport trac map. I am excited to get out and explore this wonderful new hobby of mine, but I must admit I'm a little confused and puzzled as to how to get started. The Magellan seems to be loaded with features and I guess Im a little overwelmed. Any advise from you great people would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Go outside and initialize your GPSr, if you haven't already. Then make a waypoint for your home (see your owners manual if you're not sure how). Update your geocaching.com profile with your home coordinates, then, in the "My Cache Page" section of the website, click the "from your home coordinates" link in the upper right. Make a waypoint for the closest cache with a difficulty rating under 2 stars, then go find it! :o

Edit: Oh yeah, welcome to the addiction! :o:(:o

Edit2: Eeek! This is 666th post! :o:o

Edited by Cruzin

The easiest way to get started is to not really worry about all the extra features until you get more comfortable with the unit. My firsrt unit was a Sportrak Map it's a nice easy unit to use. The way I started was just load a waypoint (goto) into the GPS from a cache page. In the manual look for how to add a waypoint and how to select the waypoint so that you can try and find it. It is about three or four pages in the manual all the other bells and whistles will come later. To find your first cache that is really all you should need to know to get started.

Have Fun

A lot of people with a new GPS don't know this...

Look in you manual for the part about creating a new waypoint and then editing waypoints. Create a new waypoint in your GPS and then edit that waypoint to the cache coordinates of a cache near you. You then can hit the "GOTO" button and your GPS will show you the direction and distance to the cache! Just follow the GPS from there (and keep your eyes on the road too :( )

Make sure your GPS is set in the format of HDDD MM.MMM also. That will be in your setup area.

Hi,I dot mean to high jack this thread, but how do you lke your sportrak map GPS'? I am looking to get that model just want your opinions (other then stated above). How accurate is it, and how long does it take to get your exact position locked? Cause with the older gpds i have now it takes many minutes just to get a accurate fix on my position. Thats the main thing i want, fast Lat Long fixes of current pos.

aj

You are new to, and overwhelmed by GPS technology. That will pass pretty quickly, as you have a single manual that can help cure that.

What you don't know yet , is that geocaching if a far more open ended problem. I've seen cache logs and forum posts by new cachers expressing very high levels of confusion and frustration. As others in this thread have already stated, hunt some easy ones first, and I mean really easy ones (1 star drive-ups). You can tell which ones they are from the logs.

But before all that, go to the [Getting Started] forum and read the pinned [Geocaching FAQs].

Having just found my first cache, I'll say starting with the easy ones is a good idea. Find something nearby that's easy to get to with a low difficulty rating. Don't be afraid to read the log notes and even decrypt the clues. I think finding a few easily will help you to figure out the way that caches work, and you'll have more fun in the long run if you don't bang your head against the wall on your first one.

I'm still fairly new, 2 months now, and I'd recommend that you see if there's a caching organization in your area. Contact them and hook up with an experienced cacher. Have them show you the ropes. That's what I did and it really helps you get into it.

By getting someone to help you out, you get rid of that frustration on those caches that are a little beyond your current abilities. I contacted the MDGPS folks and went with one of them. Had a blast and mrkablooey pointed out techniques, and offered suggestions to finding the cache without actually finding it for me. I learned tons.

Just my 2¢

F_M

I have a sportrak map and the only thing I have noticed with the compass is that it doesnt work as good walking as it does driving in a car. Other than that, the sportrak map is a good unit and easy to use once you get familar with it.

In the Magellan 315 the compass does not work at all unless travelling at about 3 mph. The sun compass allows you to orient the sun (or moon) on the rosary and then you know which way to walk towards the cache.