Cache Name

wildearth2001

I ask because I am thinking of placing a Leap Day cache. I would like the name to have a dual meaning. The term King's Leap referes to something specific and I would like to see how many of you can remember what it is. I will post the meaning later if nobody gets it that way I can expand my own topic to see if yall think my hiding spot would fit the meaning.

:o

The "King's Leap" has many meanings to different people. From a chess move that has been removed from the game, to a King who leaped a mile to impress Buddha, but didn't leave the palm of Buddha’s hand. This story has also been re-told as “The White Monkey King.” Just trying to say that the term "King's Leap" may be a little vague.

:(

Somwhat on topic question:

I remember reading (in these forums, of course) that experienced cachers always include the word 'cache' in their cache names, and when looking for a really nice cache to do, skip the ones that don't have that word in their name. (It may have been a sarcastic comment... it's often hard to tell.) Is this actually a common rule-of-thumb?

Seeing as its a leap year, and it has been a forum topic recently to put the word leap in the cache name, I wonder if it is a leap year cache <_<

Yes that is why I want the word leap in the cache. I will have it activated on Leap Day (I will put a request for that in the Note to Approver box when I submit it 3-4 days before). I will not be placing it one a rock face, rather on top of a detached boulder that is easiest to get to by scrambling the nearby cliff (easy, easy climbing, more like scrambling) and then take a short 3 foot leap from one to the other. The jump would only be about 15feet above the deck.

Seeing as its a leap year, and it has been a forum topic recently to put the word leap in the cache name, I wonder if it is a leap year cache  <_<

Yes that is why I want the word leap in the cache. I will have it activated on Leap Day (I will put a request for that in the Note to Approver box when I submit it 3-4 days before). I will not be placing it one a rock face, rather on top of a detached boulder that is easiest to get to by scrambling the nearby cliff (easy, easy climbing, more like scrambling) and then take a short 3 foot leap from one to the other. The jump would only be about 15feet above the deck.

I hid my Leap Year cache today.....Leapin' Lightning....it's hidden near the spot where my old storm chasing buggy was struck the second time of three by lightning (while I was in it).....I put a note to hold it till the 29th.....

I may do a combo of the chess thing and the climbing. Have an easy puzzle question about chess and then have that led them to the spot on the boulders. Does anybody who plays chess alot have an idea for what I could use as a puzzle involving a "kings leap" from chess. I never play so have no idea what it would be in chess. If you have an idea PM me DONT POST IT HERE! Thank you

Seeing as its a leap year, and it has been a forum topic recently to put the word leap in the cache name, I wonder if it is a leap year cache  <_<

I hid my Leap Year cache today.....Leapin' Lightning....it's hidden near the spot where my old storm chasing buggy was struck the second time of three by lightning (while I was in it).....I put a note to hold it till the 29th.....

Nice, storm chasin is always fun, but I don't have too many tornados around here. The last one came around about 1.5years ago and I rode my bike right to the thing (it was only about a mile away from home) and yes It was the reall thing not a dust devil, it was givin a F1 classification, and that is a big deal here in AZ. The last major hail strom here I also convinced my parents to drive me right to the middle of it. There is a famous lightning photographer that lives in Tucson but likes to come out here to marana to take pictures. He was stuck by lightning many times, 2 of them happened in the same spot (years apart but the same place). He has video of him getting stuck and they showed that on the discovery channel and I drive over the spot everyday. In some of the pictures they showed on the discovery channel you could actually pic out the dot way in the distance which is my house. I have a famous house. Actually a lot of stuff out here gets on that channel. There is a US governement Africanized Bee beekeeping place just a few miles into the desert from my house, and I alway go camping by it and that showed up on disc channel too.

That's a great idea. :D If that distance were lines on the ground, nobody would even pause stepping across it. Put it 15 feet up and you'd see running jumps. Call it what you want. The hidden meaning enhances it imho. It sounds cooler (and less of a hint) than the hackneyed "Leap of Faith".

I have tossed my girls across deep narrow creeks they couldn't jump across on their own, 3-4 feet, with varying success. I'm sure if somebody was watching at the time I'd be in jail. The first couple times they would reach back to me, which threw them off balance for the landing. Splash! The next couple times I ran through a practice toss in the grass without the gap. They got the idea then.

G.

I have tossed my girls across deep narrow creeks they couldn't jump across on their own, 3-4 feet, with varying success. I'm sure if somebody was watching at the time I'd be in jail. The first couple times they would reach back to me, which threw them off balance for the landing. Splash! The next couple times I ran through a practice toss in the grass without the gap. They got the idea then.

G.

Oh, what a mental image!!!! My dad and uncles used to pick me up and throw me across stuff like that....and one onery uncle used to danlge me by the ankles from the tops of bridges......yeah, I still like him, though I'm scarred for life by the experience.... <_<

Somewhat on topic question:

I remember reading (in these forums, of course) that experienced cachers always include the word 'cache' in their cache names, and when looking for a really nice cache to do, skip the ones that don't have that word in their name. (It may have been a sarcastic comment... it's often hard to tell.) Is this actually a common rule-of-thumb?

I never heard that before. If anyone follows that rule they're missing out on a lot of great caches.

Somewhat on topic question:

I never heard that before. If anyone follows that rule they're missing out on a lot of great caches.

I haven't done many (if any) "great" caches, but I've read logs from folks that have, and alot of them had "cache" in the name.......man.....I'm in the wrong part of the country for caching........

That's a great idea. :lol: If that distance were lines on the ground, nobody would even pause stepping across it. Put it 15 feet up and you'd see running jumps. Call it what you want.

Exactly! Thats why I am putting it there. There is anouther spot about 20 yards away that I just noticed from some aireal survey photos. I went to go check it out, couldn't get close because I was in a hurry, just time to pull over and look. This spot looks like a 5ft gap about 18 feet up. THe detached part is lower than the jumping spot so it looks just as easy as the first. I will have a friend look at it to see if he thinks it is a safe place for a cache because I don't hesitate to take a 10ft leap 50ft from the deck (and I did it once, on crapy wet rock).

Somwhat on topic question:

I think someone was pulling your leg there. There are some hidden messages about on the system, though. Mostly in certain peoples profile pages. :lol:

...and my brother's best-friend's second-cousin knew this Traveling Salesman in Las Vegas who woke up in a bathtub filled with ice...

I've NEVER heard of people skipping caches just because they don't have the word cache in their name. And I've been here just a little less time than Prime Suspect. BTW P.S. - happy belated anniversary (Feb 9 2001)!

...and my brother's best-friend's second-cousin knew this Traveling Salesman in Las Vegas who woke up in a bathtub filled with ice...

Wow, you practically know that guy!?!

I've NEVER heard of people skipping caches just because they don't have the word cache in their name.

That's not really what I meant, but apparently there's no truth to it anyway. I didn't really think it was true. :lol:

But man, that poor guy who had his liver stolen...