? About Garmin etrex camo + Pc?

DAKOTA4X4

Hello everyone i just bought a new gps and am learning it well so far.The only thing i would like to do is be able to take my track log or track map or bread crumb trail and download it to my home pc then print it and put these trails on my topo maps.Is there a way to do this i have the pc port cable that i bought as an accessory?Also is there any way to pan left and right will looking at the track map?Why does this etrex not outo zoom while im rideing my bike in a one mile sqare area,it will only zoom out and get smaller when i manualy zoom out.It would be nice to keep my whole trip on the screen.Thanks very much to all who can offer advise.Yours truely DAKOTA4X4.

I have the etrex camo as well.

You can download the tracks you save in your GPS to a PC. I do it all the time but I use National Geographic TOPO. It is fool proof! The NG topo will print the track on the map and give you a elevation profile if you would like.

You can also make routes and load them into your etrex. YOu can also do the same thing with way points. I like my camo a lot.

On the zoom out and Pan. It does not have the cursor like the vista has to pan with. Your GPS does have auto zoom, but I don't use it much.

I have used it a few times while driving long distances. Ron

Thanks very much there Idaho Ron,would you know exactly whare i must go and what i must downlaod to do this with my unite.This is all new to me also would the software from National Geograhic work in canada as this is whare i am.I have the pc cable with the cigarett lighter plug all as on cable.If someone could explain to me exactly how and what to do to achive this i would greatly appreciate it as i am a newbie and this gps stuff is new to me.Thanks very much to everyone that replyed for your time.Yours truely DAKOTA4X4 ps if anyone would like to e-mail me info on how to do this my addy is shrewster56@yahoo.ca thanks again.

I don't know if NG TOPO does canada or not.Here is the web page for them. http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/cdroms.cfm

You need some kind of mapping program to download the tracks and put them on a map. Like I said I like NG TOPO. After you hook your GPS to the PC most of the mapping programs I have read about have some sort of download wizzard. It is realy very easy. On mine I click a option to download from the GPS to the pc. When I do this the mapping program does the rest and puts it where it should go. Easy as that. Ron

I use a program called ExpertGPS. It sounds like exactly what you are looking for. I can't say enough good about it. You can download your "breadcrumbs" and put them on a topo map or an aerial photo map. (I'm not sure about the aerial photos in Canada). I have used it to map trails that I have rode my atv on. You can also use it to convert Mapblast driving directions to waypoints and download them into your Etrex Camo. This makes it work very similar to a Garmin V. I have done this on several trips and it works very well. The direction arrow even points toward your turn. I will include the link below so you can check it out for yourself and see if it suits your needs. And no, I'm not working for "ExpertGPs", I just really think it is a great program icon_biggrin.gif . Also, you can download a two week trial version if you want. Hope this will help you.

ExpertGPS Link

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

I use a program called ExpertGPS. It sounds like exactly what you are looking for. I can't say enough good about it. You can download your "breadcrumbs" and put them on a topo map or an aerial photo map. (I'm not sure about the aerial photos in Canada). I have used it to map trails that I have rode my atv on. You can also use it to convert Mapblast driving directions to waypoints and download them into your Etrex Camo. This makes it work very similar to a Garmin V. I have done this on several trips and it works very well. The direction arrow even points toward your turn. I will include the link below so you can check it out for yourself and see if it suits your needs. And no, I'm not working for "ExpertGPs", I just really think it is a great program icon_biggrin.gif . Also, you can download a two week trial version if you want. Hope this will help you.

ExpertGPS Link

KYtrex

-----------------

A "Buckeye" is just a "Hillbilly" that ran out of money on the way to Michigan jpshakehead.gif

quote:
I am (...) from saskatchewan canada.

Then expertGPS won't be of much help. I love this program, but the source from which it downloads information only covers the US. You might check to see if the people who make TopoUSA also make a TopoCanada, or you might look into OziExplorer, but then you'd be on your own finding digital copies of the maps.

-- Mitch

[This message was edited by Pneumatic on July 07, 2002 at 04:22 PM.]

Mapsource is OK but no topo for Canada.

A cheaper option is MS Streets & Trips, it has basic elevations but thats it. It requires a bit of import/export/macro trickery to get your tracks onto its map though, but you get all of N.America for C$50 !

A third option as mentioned above is Oziexplorer, you can scan in your own topo maps and use them as the programs base map. Search on here for Ozi, there is quite a few threads.

Good luck,

Thanks again to all who helped with this post but now i dont know which software to download?Is there a software program that i can download for free from the net like Easy gps? that will allow me to.Let my Home PC and my gps unit comunicate with each other,all i want to do is to be able to take my route and tracks for the day and put them on my PC hard drive so i can print them then use Photo shop to make this bread crumb trail the right size so i can trace it on to my topo maps that i already have?Would a special usb cable do this as i already have the cable from Garmin?Also how does the auto zoom work on this etrex camo model?as when i just go around the block it wont auto zoom is this to small an area for it to autozoom?Thanks again gps people from DAKOTA4X4