Garmin Pulling Out Front!

Insp Gadget

I was looking at all the new models that Garmin has released recently. The FOrerunner, Foretrex, 60CS and 76CS are a few examples of brand new models that seem to go above and beyond what Magellan is offering. I haven't even heard any rumours of any new Magellan models. Looks to me like Garmin is pulling ahead while Magellan is falling behind a bit.

What do you guys think?

Until they have removable memory, I don't think they can truely be thought of as pulling out ahead. It's certainly one place where they are still lacking.

Since Garmin spent considerable money putting these new products on the market, you would think they did some market research, so maybe removable memory is not that important in their eyes and most GPS consumers. Especially those who really don't travel around more than 1-2 states.

I sell these things, and have done so for the past 5 years.  Let me tell you this...Garmin outsells Magellan by a ratio of at least 10:1  The others...Cobra and Brunton, aren't even on the radar screen!

Speaking only as someone that works with statistics, ratings, and other research/polling data, this does not necessarily mean they are better. I am not saying that one is better than the other here; I am just saying that just because Chevy out-sells Lexus, it is not a true indicator of which is better.

The funny thing about numbers, stats, ratings, …. are, you can manipulate them to support just about any angle.

I sell these things, and have done so for the past 5 years. Let me tell you this...Garmin outsells Magellan by a ratio of at least 10:1 The others...Cobra and Brunton, aren't even on the radar screen!

Ratios are not an accurate measure of worth.

Hyundai outsells BMW by a large ratio. Would anyone claim that Hyundai is a better product?! :D

I think that the real reason that Garmin isn't offering memory expandability is that Magellan has a patent on the SD in the battery well. Garmin can't find an alternative that is practical and water proof. That doesn't conflict with the patent.

I'm sure their research shows that no one is willing to buy their proprietary memory cards.

Until they have removable memory, I don't think they can truely be thought of as pulling out ahead. It's certainly one place where they are still lacking.

I find the 56mb of memory in my 60C coupled with the high transfer rate of the USB port is more than sufficient for my use. I did have a Megallan Meridian Gold with 128MB of ram and had all of Canada loaded on the SD card, but never went outside the coverage area. My 56mb covers New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec and parts of Onatrio. Driving from one end to the other would take about 2 days, so if I ever do go out further, I can VERY quickly d/n the necessary maps.... I never did find the expandable memory a big feature, however I'm sure it would be very necessary for people who travel more than I do....

Magellan has a patent on the SD in the battery well.

Good. :D

I definitely think that Garmin's new GPS's have a higher "cool" factor than the Meridians (which is the only Megallan worth anything). The SD cards are definitely a plus. Overall, I like my Meridian better than any Garmin I have seen so far. I do think that Magellan should come out with something new soon though, because "cool" factor seems to be what sells stuff anyway. For now I'll stick to my Meridian, and don't plan on switching to Garmin. Hopefully Magellan will come out with something great, so I don't ever have to switch brands. I don't really think that color is needed on a GPS, so the color factor isnt really that exciting. It looks cool, but thats about it. Besides color, the new things from Garmin are the 60's. The new 76's seem pretty much the same as the old ones, except they are color and have more memory. The Meridians already have them beat in memory, and they are much older. I think the 60's are cool, but nothing too "wow" about them.

So far I think Magellan is doing okay. They have a little while longer before they have to come out with some new toy for everyone. <_<

Magellan has a patent on the SD in the battery well.

Good. :D

I definitely think that Garmin's new GPS's have a higher "cool" factor than the Meridians (which is the only Megallan worth anything). The SD cards are definitely a plus. Overall, I like my Meridian better than any Garmin I have seen so far. I do think that Magellan should come out with something new soon though, because "cool" factor seems to be what sells stuff anyway. For now I'll stick to my Meridian, and don't plan on switching to Garmin. Hopefully Magellan will come out with something great, so I don't ever have to switch brands. I don't really think that color is needed on a GPS, so the color factor isnt really that exciting. It looks cool, but thats about it. Besides color, the new things from Garmin are the 60's. The new 76's seem pretty much the same as the old ones, except they are color and have more memory. The Meridians already have them beat in memory, and they are much older. I think the 60's are cool, but nothing too "wow" about them.

So far I think Magellan is doing okay. They have a little while longer before they have to come out with some new toy for everyone. <_<

I have always found the Garmin was much more user friendly than the MG's. To each his or her own though.

There is much more to the 60C than just color. I bought it for the auto routing features. It's very quick, surprisingly accurate and extremly useful in a city that you have never visited before. I find the color quite nice as well. At least now I can tell if I'm looking at a small body of water or a small road. <_<

I personally think they both are good. Not one is any better than the other. I have had a Garmin Etrex-Vista for two years now and love it. I just sold it for a GPSMap60CS. Can't wait for it to get here. But just yesterday a friend came to me with a couple of different options on his first GPS. I am recomending the Magellan. This thread can only lead to a Chevy versus Ford issue and none of you will be right. I say go with what you feel comfortable with and the heck with what other people say. If extra memory is what you want in the SD cards then get the Magellan. For me I have lived with 24 mb of memory for two years and never came close to filling it up. Now I will have over 50 meg and don't think I will ever fill it up. What ever tickles your fancy is what you should go with. The other thing that I found is "Does your wife think your GPS is sexy" then that is the one to go with.

murph

Hyundai outsells BMW by a large ratio. Would anyone claim that Hyundai is a better product?!

Well answer to your question about Hyundai's, it depends because Hyundai is not the same as before, They are better made cars with less maintance, not saying BMW is not a good car but as far as comparison they are equel I think as to build and quality, there are no automakers out there that can say that they don't have any problem what so ever on any of there cars that are being sold so one thing that Hyundai can say to back up there product compared to BMW is there warrenty (10 year). BMW do make very nice cars but I would not put down Hyundai because of there old reputation they had when they started out with a Mitubishi engines.

John.

I sell these things, and have done so for the past 5 years.  Let me tell you this...Garmin outsells Magellan by a ratio of at least 10:1  The others...Cobra and Brunton, aren't even on the radar screen!

Hyundai outsells BMW by a large ratio. Would anyone claim that Hyundai is a better product?! :D

I think that the real reason that Garmin isn't offering memory expandability is that Magellan has a patent on the SD in the battery well. Garmin can't find an alternative that is practical and water proof. That doesn't conflict with the patent.

I'm sure their research shows that no one is willing to buy their proprietary memory cards.

You seem to be comparing apples to oranges here. There is a major difference between a mechanicial machine and an electronic one. Since there are VERY few moving parts on a GPS receiver, the subject of comparison is the software. One thing I hated about the MG was this silly rebound effect, I believe it's called. When you got near a cache, the GPS woulc suddely say the cache was another 100 meters away. Also trying to erase a waypoint in the MG seemed to be a bit more complicated than the Garmin units. I think both are very good units, but if the only reason people buy the Magellan is for the expandable memory, then I would suggest that taking all other things into consideration, the Garmin comes way out front.

$.02

The expandable memory is definitely the possible "deal breaker" between which unit to buy. I agree that the new Garmins are better as far as up-to-date stuff. The USB port is awesome, and they definitely seem to have lots of cool user friendly features. Obviously, the antenna argument (which is better) is out the window already, since one does not seem to be better than the other.

If I had money to burn, I would definitely go and buy a new Garmin, just for the cool factor. They are definitely techno-savvy and "neato" by themselves. Unfortunately, I'm not rich yet, so I can't have everything.

I really like Garmin's overall, and I think they are a great company. I realize that because their stuff is new, it will cost more than older stuff. It seems though, that for the features you get from a Meridian, the price can't be beat (especially for a Gold). I bought mine thru the Gold Traveller Pack with Direct Route, and in total, it came out to about 250. Which is a great deal. (comes with SD card, etc...)

And I did fail to mention that the 60's and the new 76's have autorouting also. As for autoroutingon a Meridian, everyone knows about Direct Route by now. :D

Edited by SBPhishy
I was looking at all the new models that Garmin has released recently... I haven't even heard any rumours of any new Magellan models. Looks to me like Garmin is pulling ahead while Magellan is falling behind a bit.
If you're way behind in a race, and then catch up a little, it still doesn't mean you're winning. :D

I purchased the Meridian Gold (with the Travelers Package) mainly because of the expandable memory. I do a lot of long distance motorcycling and I can forsee putting multiple state maps on SD cards. The only Garmin units that had that capability were the Streetpilots, which cost a little too much for me, and not as portable.

Garmin isn't offering memory expandability is that Magellan has a patent on the SD in the battery well

Doesn't the emap have removeable memory in the [edit]battery[/edit] well? Maybe Magellan patented it out from under them...

Garmin's official word (as far as I've heard) on the removeable memory thing is they haven't embraced it because they determined it reduced the durability of the unit.

Official word vs. reality is up for debate.

Fact of the matter is, that a 512 MB compact flash is really not too pricy. If they were going to have internal memory, I don't see why they couldn't built in a nice big CF memory card.

I know they have removable memory (CF) on their new 2610. A device where they aren't concerned about durability and waterproofness.

I think Garmin is really kicking Magellan's butt right now as far as product offerings. Even Magellan's new Roadmate series is really no match in my mind for the Garmin 2610. They don't even have an interface that you could use to update the firmware or maps....

Magellans big moment of brilliance was their directroute software. And from what I've heard... it's okay, but not great. Won't be replacing the GPSV or the 60 & 76 series from garmin, that's for sure.

Edited by trippy1976

I really liked my Meridian better, but I also like the Venture too. Would not be good to use both at the same time, so i would pick latter one instead.

End of sillyness

----------------------------------------------------

It would be hard to beat the platinum for it's ability to zero-in on a cache and store lots of stuff on the memory cards.Was my favorite for geocaching.

I prefer garmin for being able to do a screen capture, also like the garmin's ablity to display elapsed time and other detailed info, for my outdoor exercising. I also like the way gamin segments it's tracklogs when you shut off and turn back on.

Edited by GOT GPS?
I think that the real reason that Garmin isn't offering memory expandability is that Magellan has a patent on the SD in the battery well. Garmin can't find an alternative that is practical and water proof.

Does Magellen really have a defendable patent on putting the SD in the battery well? I seem to remember other products that had access to RAM or ROM behind doors so that would make it "prior art".

Besides, if SD was that desirable, they could put it in it's own compartment. You loose the cost advantage of sharing the seal with the battery, but if that's what it takes to make your product cost competitive, you do it.

I don't know how other Garmins are built, but mine has a water resistant battery door, but even with the door off, the battery compartment is water proofed from the rest of the unit. I could drop my GPS in a puddle while changing batteries and be no worse off. I suspect Garmin is having a harder time coming up with a waterproof SD slot that will remain waterproof with normal wear and tear.

I don't really think that color is needed on a GPS, so the color factor isnt really that exciting. It looks cool, but thats about it.

I can't describe how much I disagree with that statement. I knew within two months of using my Legend (my first GPSr) that having a color screen would make navigating while driving infinately easier and safer.

"Is that line I'm approaching a street, a highway, a river or what?!"

There is no question when using a color unit. Everything on the screen is easier to identify, which translates into less time being used to navigate and more time with your eyes on the road.

For hiking, caching, etc., it doesn't make much difference, but on the road, a color screen is invaluable.

$.02

Personal checks accepted. :o

P.S. GARMIN rules! :o:(

I don't really think that color is needed on a GPS, so the color factor isnt really that exciting.  It looks cool, but thats about it.

I can't describe how much I disagree with that statement. I knew within two months of using my Legend (my first GPSr) that having a color screen would make navigating while driving infinately easier and safer.

"Is that line I'm approaching a street, a highway, a river or what?!"

There is no question when using a color unit. Everything on the screen is easier to identify, which translates into less time being used to navigate and more time with your eyes on the road.

For hiking, caching, etc., it doesn't make much difference, but on the road, a color screen is invaluable.

$.02

Personal checks accepted. :o

P.S. GARMIN sucks! :o:o

Agreed. The Meridian Color is very useful. The TOPO lines are very clear to see. The rivers and creeks are easy to distinguish. Very pretty to look at. :(

p.s.Did I mention that the Meridian has had USB connectivity since it's release?

I suppose the color would make it better as far as driving. But while using Direct Route with my Gold, I haven't really ever had to think about, "is it a road, or a river" etc. I have never really thought twice about what I was coming up too. The color would definitely make it less of something to think about though.

Does Magellen really have a defendable patent on putting the SD in the battery well? I seem to remember other products that had access to RAM or ROM behind doors so that would make it "prior art".

Well, that's just it. Patent law is a sticky subject. Vague and ambiguous references or theoretical concepts can prevent other companies from adding something to their products.

Look at these small companies suing everyone for these small coding features that have been embedded in browsers and other software for years. All they have is vague ambiguous theoretical concepts that they patented and forgot about.

Besides, if SD was that desirable, they could put it in it's own compartment. You loose the cost advantage of sharing the seal with the battery, but if that's what it takes to make your product cost competitive, you do it.

There maybe patent protection that forbids them from using SD all together. Even in another compartment.

I suspect Garmin is having a harder time coming up with a waterproof SD slot that will remain waterproof with normal wear and tear.

I used my Platinum for two years of rigorous wear and tear, including whitewater rafting, never had a problem with the waterproofing.

I was looking at all the new models that Garmin has released recently. The FOrerunner, Foretrex, 60CS and 76CS are a few examples of brand new models that seem to go above and beyond what Magellan is offering. I haven't even heard any rumours of any new Magellan models. Looks to me like Garmin is pulling ahead while Magellan is falling behind a bit.

What do you guys think?

Until the news release of the 60C and CS and now the 76CS, in my opinion Magellan was leading with the Meridian Series. I think that its like a horse race, one company will pull ahead and then maybe a year from now or less the other will pull ahead. But boys and girls don't think that Magellans research and development department does'nt have a new unit waiting to be tested in the lab and then released in lets say the next 6 months, Maybe 9 months tops. They are competitors, Garmin And Magellan. Now that Magellan sees the hand that Garmin has dealt and the old lab techs are going to counter attack at Magellan with something better than Garmin. Any bets I'm not right?

[i think that the real reason that Garmin isn't offering memory expandability is that Magellan has a patent on the SD in the battery well. Garmin can't find an alternative that is practical and water proof. That doesn't conflict with the patent.

That's interesting, I think that Garmin, or Magellan could offer a unit with higher internal capacity, but it contradicts the basic marketing ploy of only offering something a little better than your competitor, when you know you can offer a better unit six months from now and all your customers will be happy to upgrade.

If I was in the market for a new gps here in Canada and used it for outdoor activities mostly then I would look at the Lowrance Ifinder.

It has the memory card in the battery area also.

They have just announced and are releasing topo maps for all of Canada that will be on the SD card ready to load in the gps.

I will be going to the Sports show here in Toronto next month and check out these new maps and see how they compare to the paper ones. I was talking to a sales rep and he said they will have them there.

:(

and perhaps the IQUE too... although being a palm pc maybe it's exempt from the patent...

re the color vs monochrome thing - how many of you are still watching black and white tv's? do you prefer it? seems color lcd screens are popping up on everything these days.

i give it no more than 5 years before EVERY gps will have a color screen... production costs will continue to drop - everyone will prefer color, they'll continue to enhance the technology until it just works right, battery life will be improved, etc... flame suit on :(

re topo for Canada - both magellan and garmin will also have product - very soon from what i have heard - sometime within the next 3-4 months.

new products from magellan? hmm, i believe we might see some low-end models...

both companies make excellent products. from a hardware point of view both have their strengths and weaknesses/pros and cons. software-wise - you've gotta go with garmin.

but it's a leap-frog game and maybe magellan will be in the lead shortly. hmmm lowrance has canadian topo - maybe they're number 1 now?

good thread all!

Edited by Vlad

In about 19,000 downloads of GPSBabel, I had my second request for Lowrance support just this week...

In any market that is lead by two dominant players (i.e. most markets) there will be an ongoing game of leapfrog between them. Neither company just has me frothing at the mouth just begging to take a credit from my credit card. A company that was cooperative to developers (and that includes mapping programs) that could produce Magellan's receiver quality with Garmin's firmware gadgetry could have my loyalty pretty easily.

Signed, co-creator of two patents...

IMO, Magellan doesn't have a patent on the SD card/battery compartment. Even if they did, Garmin has 3 (4?) different connections on the back of my 60c with a rubber gasket. Somehow I think Garmin could figure out how to waterproof an SD slot. Until Magellan gains market share, Garmin simply has no pressing need to add that feature. How can they justify the 76S for $480 if I can get an equivalent 60C for $370 (if they had SD slots)

I like my MeriPlat. In the few occasions where it has gone head to head with Garmins it seems to have been more accurate and have better reception. This, however, was not an exhaustive test.

Part of me thinks that color would be good but I just upgraded my PDA from a unit with a B&W display to one that's color. I have found that the color display is almost impossible to read in bright sunlight. I monkey with the contrast but still can't see it without hunching over and trying to shade the unit.

Would the color display on the new Platinum have the same problem? And, if so, with the unit sitting on my dashboard it would become completely useless in brght light.

Thus, I think the only thing that would convince me to upgrade to a color display was in it would display the USGS 1:25,000 maps. Oooooooh! That would be most excelent.

B) You put the iQue in a plastic ziploc bag - it floats.

:D 512 meg sd card holding 12 western states.

Use autorouting to get you near destination.

:blink: Listen to MP3s (114 minutes worth) on the hunt.

<_< Log entry on the spot on the Palm OS 5 part of the system.

:o Carry battery recharge pack (4 AA batteries) IF iQue battery gets low.

:D Am I leaving anything out?

Hmmm..........

No - I am not a Garmin salesman.

Edited by nscaler
:blink: You put the iQue in a plastic ziploc bag - it floats.

<_< 512 meg sd card holding 12 western states.

Use autorouting to get you near destination.

:D Listen to MP3s (114 minutes worth) on the hunt.

:o Log entry on the spot on the Palm OS 5 part of the system.

B) Carry battery recharge pack (4 AA batteries) IF iQue battery gets low.

:D Am I leaving anything out?

Hmmm..........

No - I am not a Garmin salesman.

Bad idea, I would not trust my PDA with a ziplock.

Driving, and sitting down to use PDA is the safest way.

Moisture or too much pressure is bad for a PDA screen.

If on foot when using PDA, your elbow may get bumped, driving the stylist into the PDA screen, craking it.

The following site has not been updated in awhile, but it's amusing to read:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/graveyard.asp

Garmin probably is trying to pull out in front. But right now I personally feel they have failed miserably in getting the new units out. The 60 series was introduced to us back in November with 1st quarter delivery. Ok we still are in the first quarter but why were they not ready for christmas. Gee they do make good gifts. The C has come out and we were all told a week or so behind would be the CS. Well the week or so has come and gone and now I am told that it could be the end of March before the CS will be available. Who knows, maybe the CS has ran into problems that they can't fix. I have supported Garmin for a long time but maybe, just maybe it's time to look at something else, just maybe.

murph

Comparing Hyundais to BMWs would be just like comparing Garmin to Magellans. If BMWs and Hyundais cost about the same.

Of course the BMWs are better, you can get 4-5 Hyundais for one.

That's just a silly analogy.

My Street Pilot III has a waterproof memory slot, it doesn't take SD memory (which sux) but, you get the point.

Has any geocacher been asked by Garmin if they would like to have a memory card slot? (obviously geocachers are a large market segment for Garmin) ever taken a Garmin survey asking you what you would do to improve a unit? I would ALWAYS choose to be able to have a memory card slot over internal only memory, even if it cost more (which could be partly mitigated by supplying a smaller memory card with unit purchase, then let me upgrade to a larger one when I can).

You could have more than one memory card, for different areas, or just one 1GB card for everything. (2GB SD cards are on the way, and will be cheap enough to be reasonable in less than a year).

I just can't imagine reliable market research the proves people want to be locked into one specific amount of memory. I'll take SD any day. I like Garmin, so I can't get it (iQue in the rainy Northwest, isn't a good geo-choice).