Ng Flashlight

Ltljon

I received a similar item for Christmas and it is a little on the plastic-side. It works, but only just. The "beam" of light is weak and does not last 20 minutes on 30 seconds of shaking. However, not a bad thing to have in the cache bag as back-up. (Especially for the price!)

My mom got me and the rest of the guys in the family one of those for Christmas a year ago....it's amazingly bright, and still works very well. I now keep it in our "Emergency Kit" under the stairs. It has come in handy several times. I don't know about keeping one near your compasses, but since I don't carry a compass, I don't worry about it. Would be quite the ticket for caching...no need to lug around those extra batteries for the flashlight! <_<

I'd be worried about the rare earth magnet anywhere near the compass in my pack. I have a handful of RE magnets and they're mighty powerful! Sounds like a great light though.

Perhaps....perhaps they thought of that. Opening up a hard drive reveals mighty strong magnets and they pretty close to the platters. They must not erase the information there. I've noticed there is little magnetic "flux" outside of the magnets while they are paired (I can kind of imagine them consuming each other, but that may not be a good model to think of). Pull them apart , however, and there is no mistaking their power.

Maybe that is the case here? I went to REI today and meant to look at it, but forgot since I got there right as they were closing. Next time I will borrow one of their compasses and see if this is an issue. <_<

My wife picked up one for my son a few months ago. It works about as well as micro mag-light (the AAA one) while it's at full charge. We haven't timed how long the charge lasts.

It does require a little more vigorous shaking to charge than I thought it would. While not heavy - it weighs about as much as a 2-C flashlight, it's not something I'd want to rely on as my primary lightsource. I use a Petzl headlamp and a Photon as a backup for backpacking, and I carry an X5 primary and Photon backup while day-hiking/caching. This light would realistically replace none of the three.

It's nice to have in the house as a dependable flashlight.

These things are sold rather widely. Sporty's Pilot Shop sells them to pilots, who want a reliable emergency flashlight for night flying. You don't have to worry about the batteries dying, or leaking and ruining the flashlight. They're good for when you really need a light right now, and haven't been checking your batteries lately. I just keep some lithium batteries in my flight bag just in case, and keep my lights (yes, I have many more than one) well-maintained. I've been using LED lights for some time, and far prefer them to any incandescent I've tried. I don't need to see a long distance away, so a focused beam that goes out 100' isn't a priority for me.

Edited by NightPilot

My Parent live Where there is no Electricty, They have all the comforts of a "grid" home. I bought them a light like this one about 4 years ago. They have had no Problems with it. They also have some Fire fighting quality 12volt Search Lanterns that are on solar chargers. We use them most, But if we need a smaller light we use the "shaker" lights.

Just some of my learnin

Anyone have any experience with this flashlight?

Yes, we use one along with our wind up radio for our disaster kit. Light is not very bright, but oddly it does seem to penetrate quite a ways. The light comes out kind of blue, and is enough to see around and find candles and other flashlights/the wind up radio. If I remember correctly, we got ours at Cabelas.

Anyone have any experience with this flashlight?

Yes, I got one for Christmas. As mentioned, the light is rather dim. It seems to be just a white LED, not a super bright LED, but it's surprisingly effective when it gets dark enough that you really need it. I think the key is that it has a larger much more even "bright spot" that doesn't mess up your night vision like most flashlights.

It does have some powerful magnets, so I'd be careful what you put it near. Yes, disk drives have powerful magnets, but they are constructed in a way that contains and concentrates the magnetic field into the working area rather then let it "escape" the unit.

That center "slug" is a magnet, but there are two others at each end to act as a spring to bounce the slug back when you recharge it. No wimpy magnets here!

the event cache where he was showing it to us and then started 'charging' it.

Man, you know, not that I wanted to see that or anything, but, where the heck was I?

[added]

And so this isn't just drivel, this thread reminds me of a flashlight my friend had. It was just some cheapo plastic job that had a squeeze handle, and when you "revved" it up, the light would light. He got it as a novelty gift from his dad, but I'll tell you what. That thing got more use than any other flashlight in the house. It always worked... until it broke. I expect this thing is the same way.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

I have had one of these flashlights for over a year now and use it almost daily !!!! They really, really work well. Mine is a "NIGHTSTAR". Good beam, fairly long lasting.

BUT......WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The magnets in these are POWERFUL. They will screw-up a TV at 24 inches distance and

WORSE YET,

they will upset a compass needle at 6-10 feet. NOT an ideal item to throw in your knapsack if you are carrying a compass. Not only will you get faulty readings but with time, it will destroy your compass.