Is This Appropriate Behavior?

clearpath

Wanted to find out if this has happened to other cachers, lately. Several weeks ago I released a TB (withholding the TB name and website so the cacher in question doesn't get flamed). So far, this TB has been to (6) different caches by the same geocacher. It appears as if this guy logs my TB in and out of every cache he visits. Is this right or wrong? I did send an e-mail to the geocacher to ask, "whats up with that?" But have not gotten a response. Would this bother anyone if it happened to them? I haven't gotten angry yet but it would be kinda nice for other cachers to move the TB along the trail. Also, it's my first TB and I feel as if it's been kidnapped.

I understand your feelings on this! We have a TB where the people held it for over 3 months before they started playing games with it!

The logs show he just logs it in and out of caches. Six to be exact and he still has the bug. I guess some people like the bugs so well they just can't seem to part with them.

I guess that is better than having them go 'missing in action' (but not much better).

John

My put on this is: Don't get worked up over it. I have had this happen to many of my bugs. It most often happens when someone takes a bug with them on vacation and logs it in and out of the caches they visit. In all cases, the person eventually leaves the bug in a cache for someone else to pick up. I am just happy to see the person actually logging the bug and not having it go missing like many of my bugs have. RM

some people do it (not me) to keep track of there mile's from cache to cache.

That is usually done with a travel bug that they bought, not some one elses.

This guy sounds like a bug napper. I will qualify that by saying that I took a geocoin from a cache that wanted to go to all 50 states. The next cache trip I went on involved 4 states. By logging it in and out of all the caches I found, it got 4 of 50 done. I did leave it in the last one.

So its gone and on its own now.

Travel bugs should always and only be moved in accordance with the owner's desires. I've moved several travel bugs as you've described, but I have only done so at the owner's request or with his/her permission after emailing.

I found one several weeks ago near Toronto that the owner wants to get to Thailand. Before grabbing it, I wrote him and told him I could get it there, but it will take a few months. He gave me permission to take it, so I keep it in my backpack and log it through all the caches I find in the mean time.

Is this right or wrong? I did send an e-mail to the geocacher to ask, "whats up with that?" But have not gotten a response. Would this bother anyone if it happened to them?

You would have to be more specific about what would bother me.

Not answering my emails? Yes.

Logging it into many caches? No. Its probly racking up a couple miles and adventures. So long as they don't do this for more than a week or two(and is actually getting closer to the goal) I don't think I would care.

Holding the traveler for excessive time (over 3 weeks)? Yes, unless they have a specific reason for holding it up, or will be traveling large distances in the near future. But that goes back answering email, if I get a message or reply that says "Im busy with X and can't move it till Y, because of Z" then I can deal with that.

If something bothers you email the person and ask them to stop, and maybe post that info. to avoid similar things in the future. If you don't like all the extras pit stops perhaps you can just delete those? Course this person could just toss the traveler in a dumpster if you tick them off, but thats always possiable <_<

Travel Bug History (16mi)

Well I am sure I am not the first to sort through all your TBs to find out the details <_<6 caches, 16 miles. The logs sound like the intention is to drop the TB soon. It's only been 2 weeks since it was picked up. Many bugs sit next to computers for more than 2 weeks (guilty). At least this guy is getting a few miles racked up.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks it'll be free again.

Edited by pdxmarathonman
At least this guy is getting a few miles racked up.

Being somewhat new at TB ownership, I now see that TBs can mean different things to different people. Guess I never really thought that the 'more miles, the better' was really part of the goal. I my mind, I was more interested in 'the more people that handled it the better'. Anyways, I did get a nice e-mail back from the cacher in question and he was simply trying to rack up miles and cache visits for the TB. A noble quest IMO. Thanks for all that sounded off in this thread. I'll try to be more open minded.

I will qualify that by saying that I took a geocoin from a cache that wanted to go to all 50 states. The next cache trip I went on involved 4 states. By logging it in and out of all the caches I found, it got 4 of 50 done.

1. I agree with this approach. You actually traveled to the four states and the bug did see those capitols. I would be happy if that happened to one of our bugs.

2. We own a travel bug that has been in the hands of only one cacher, going from cache to cache for 13 months including several states. I don't have a problem with that because that cacher has helped us and Roadcow and is a kindred spirit desert rat. The bug is specific to her home town and she is the local sponsor our vacation cache which is theme related to the bug. She can do whatever she wants with that bug.

If there were no connection I don't think I would like that activity and would email the holder to either establish some sort of connection or request the tb be released.

3. What I really don't like is that one of our tbs has been caught in the Utah Bogus Bug Find scam. This is the one noted on these pages where several cachers with more bug finds than cache finds just keep handing bugs back and forth to boost their numbers. Our bug has been caught in that web since October. I've had bugs held for 10 months, bugs kidnapped by low finders that left the sport and bugs lost to muggled caches. Those were disappointing but this Bogus Bug Count business chaps my hide.

Passing a bug around at an event cache is questionable but as an occasional practice it doesn't hurt. But more bug finds than cache finds is not really "finding" travel bugs and appears to me to be a complete waste of time. Why not spend the time actually finding something: caches, benchmarks or "real" bug finds?

4. That said, I am a firm believer that once you place a tb, or anything else, in a cache, it is out of your control and up to the finder to decide what to do with it. So in that regard I have to accept the Bogus Bug Find scam and hope that one of them finally moves the bug back into the world of the living.

Wanted to find out if this has happened to other cachers, lately. Several weeks ago I released a TB (withholding the TB name and website so the cacher in question doesn't get flamed). So far, this TB has been to (6) different caches by the same geocacher. It appears as if this guy logs my TB in and out of every cache he visits. Is this right or wrong? I did send an e-mail to the geocacher to ask, "whats up with that?" But have not gotten a response. Would this bother anyone if it happened to them? I haven't gotten angry yet but it would be kinda nice for other cachers to move the TB along the trail. Also, it's my first TB and I feel as if it's been kidnapped.

It wouldn't bother me in the least.

The Cucamonga Railroad Cacher was found by a fellow geocacherm Chaosmanor. It's a little on the large size, so it doesn't fit into many caches.

Chaosmanor took it on quite an excursion, not necessarily the intended goal, but nonetheless, an excursion, which I quite enjoyed.

As far as I'm concerned, that's much better than having it sit with someone for months, or sit in a cache for months. The journey is part of the experience.

the real attraction for me is to find out where they go, rather than to tell people where and how to take them. the fewer expectations i have, the more surprises i get.

and i find that the more stuff you ask people to do, the more likely you're going to be disappointed.

once one of my bugs was "stolen". turns out the guy wanted to give it a ride out west. after a lot of flames (not from me, surprisingly enough) he replaced it whence it came without logging it out west.

now i know where it is, but i'd have liked to have seen where it was going. i'd have preferred to have had it ride the eddies of space/time without interference.

the real adventure is seeing where the road goes.

the real attraction for me is to find out where they go, rather than to tell people where and how to take them. the fewer expectations i have, the more surprises i get.

and i find that the more stuff you ask people to do, the more likely you're going to be disappointed.

once one of my bugs was "stolen". turns out the guy wanted to give it a ride out west. after a lot of flames (not from me, surprisingly enough) he replaced it whence it came without logging it out west.

now i know where it is, but i'd have liked to have seen where it was going. i'd have preferred to have had it ride the eddies of space/time without interference.

the real adventure is seeing where the road goes.