2nd Annual Cannonball Run

CannonBall Run

Thanks SAK Tesoro!

He made a special trip out to a cache to investigate the log to see who took our travel bug without logging it! Our bug has been missing from the cache for almost 1 month now!

I have emailled to person so hopefully they will get it logged and back into circulation very soon. The person that picked up the bug is a newbie and has not visited the site in almost a month. So hopefully the bug did not become a trophy!

Thanks SAK Tesoro!

Our bug has been missing from the cache for almost 1 month now!

The person that picked up the bug is a newbie. So hopefully the bug did not become a trophy!

Especially with the tag that NYGC attached to each of our TB's, I expect to see alot go to the trophy case. Hopefully that does not happen though. Good Luck with your bug.

Ok still no reply from the cacher that picked up our cannonball racer without logging it. The bug was picked up a month ago and the cacher has not logged into the site for almost a month. Yes the bug included laminated instructions for how to log the bug and that it was a racing bug. The "this is no ordinary trading item and do not take if you do not have plans to log the travels online thing.

I do not think that they are going to log the bug or reply to my email. They have only logged 4 caches so far.

So do I move the bug to an unknown location so the cache page is correct? This is our first travel bug and the first MIA.

Not wanting to Gloat. But; a new group of TB's have moved into the lead, and my Engine #122 is one of them, and they are already on the move again.

I have been asking for cachers to split up the Bugs, so they spread out more, and give more people a chance to participate in the race, but to this point I haven't had any luck on that point with my group. Maybe this move they will separate.

Good Luck to all.

Team Kilroy was here!

Hey Team Kilroy, the Blues Mobile is right behind you! :lol: I have another TB - not a racer - in Utah and put out the call for her to come home to AZ a long time ago. Let's hope our racers make it out of that state faster than Talky Tina has!

Drive safe, everyone! :D

Not wanting to Gloat. But; a new group of TB's have moved into the lead, and my Engine #122 is one of them, and they are already on the move again.

I have been asking for cachers to split up the Bugs, so they spread out more, and give more people a chance to participate in the race, but to this point I haven't had any luck on that point with my group. Maybe this move they will separate.

Good Luck to all.

Team Kilroy was here!

You're not gloating. It's lead changes that make ANY race interesting.

BTW- My InnBreeders are tied with Gripper for first now, thanks to DJS 111. Ummmm, nanner.... :D

WOOHOOOO!

Two bugs in the top 5! C'mon TB karma!

Sn :lol::o gans

:lol: Today I moved my cannonball racer to an unknown location. It was picked up on 4-12 according to the cache log by "da fam". The bug was never logged out of the cache. They have not been on the site for over a month and have not replied to any of my emails. I think the bug has became a trophy! So Big Green Mean Machine logged a total of 10 miles! That was sure an expensive travel bug to place and only travel to 1 cache.

I even had the printed instructions that said it was not a normal trade item and to not pick up if you are not going to log the bug. There were also instructions that it was a racing bug and to quickly move it cache to cache.

Thanks Snoogans.

Trials and tribulations on our jouney.

We enjoyed stopping at every one of the cache sites. We only had three DNFs :lol: (Travel Bug Transporter, Dead End, and Watergate). Two have been verified by others that they are not there. We're still not sure about the Transporter cache, as a find has been logged recently.

Innbred Eckspress was in a cache right off 95 near Hover Dam. The terrian is much different from what we have at home, and caused us the most difficulty. We guess that we walked .4 mile for a cache that was 500 feet away. :blink: We were too late for this pickup, as another traveler already had the TB moving east.

When we were traveling through Vegas, we had had plans to pickup Lightning Loo. LilJ noticed that the log sheets said that the cache owners were moving to KC,MO the next week, which would have put him in a better position than if we took it, so it was decided to skip the cache entirely. Now we see that it was logged out 2 days before arriving in the area. Bummer.

Even with the directions that were received from the cache owner on which hiways and roads to take, BigJ still managed to get lost. Thanks to Longwalker for providing the directions. We really appreciate it.

We were a little apprehensive on what we might find at our racer's last known cache-site. But, happily, it was there.

So, our count for the trip, one of three racers found.

It's lead changes that make ANY race interesting.

BTW- My InnBreeders are tied with Gripper for first now, thanks to DJS 111. Ummmm, nanner.... :lol:

WOOHOOOO!

Sn ;);) gans

Snoogans; I see that someone, that seems to be aware that your Bug is in a race east took your Inbread Bug back to AZ. Sorry, its fun watching the Bugs trade positions.

Good Luck with your next finder.

My Engine #122 is in third place and headed directly towards me, if it gets close enough I'll grab it, and have a chance to give it a good boost in the race.

Good Luck to all!

Team Kilroy was here!

It's lead changes that make ANY race interesting.

BTW- My InnBreeders are tied with Gripper for first now, thanks to DJS 111. Ummmm, nanner.... ;)

WOOHOOOO!

Sn :lol:  ;) gans

Snoogans; I see that someone, that seems to be aware that your Bug is in a race east took your Inbread Bug back to AZ. Sorry, its fun watching the Bugs trade positions.

Good Luck with your next finder.

My Engine #122 is in third place and headed directly towards me, if it gets close enough I'll grab it, and have a chance to give it a good boost in the race.

Good Luck to all!

Team Kilroy was here!

Eh, easy come, easy go. It's all part of the game. I sent them an email thanking them for taking care of my bug and getting it back in the race quickly. It's no sweat to me.

Sn ;):P gans

Whoa. Cool. I didn't know this thread existed.

I'm currently holding 3 racers, Westbound Wheel, Wings and One Man's Trash...

I'm planning a drive to the Reno, Nevada area this Saturday and will drop them somewhere near the highway.

I just found Egnix's stats page and see that there are at least 6 other racers stuck in the Sacramento Area. Web-ling Cannonball Racer #1, BIG GREEN MEAN MACHINE, Oscar II, Team NoVa12's, Fitz-N-Giggles, and Fire! Fire! Fire!. I'll try to pick at least some of them up and take them to Reno, too.

I'm really surprised at the slow start some of these racers are getting. Was the race last year like this?

I'm currently holding 3 racers

I'm planning a drive to the Reno, Nevada area this Saturday

I just found Egnix's stats page and see that there are at least 6 other racers stuck in the Sacramento Area. I'll try to pick at least some of them up and take them to Reno, too.

I'm really surprised at the slow start some of these racers are getting. Was the race last year like this?

It seemed like the talk about last years race centered around alot of interference, like taking racers to seldom visited caches, or taking them the wrong direction on purpose. In light of this fact I think this years race is off to a much nicer start.

Its great of you to try and help so many racers get moving. My race entrant is in third position and most racers are being left behind quite rapidly. It will be nice to see the race get a little more competitive.

I'm expecting my Bug to pick up One maybe Two more states over the weekend. Anyone else have big moves expected?

Good luck to all, you never know when someone traveling will pick up a bug and log caches half way across the country. Look at the race leader for proof of that.

I'm currently holding 3 racers, Westbound Wheel, Wings and One Man's Trash...

I'm planning a drive to the Reno, Nevada area this Saturday and will drop them somewhere near the highway.

I just found Egnix's stats page and see that there are at least 6 other racers stuck in the Sacramento Area. Web-ling Cannonball Racer #1, BIG GREEN MEAN MACHINE, Oscar II, Team NoVa12's, Fitz-N-Giggles, and Fire! Fire! Fire!. I'll try to pick at least some of them up and take them to Reno, too.

Huzzah! for Lil Devil

Your latest bug move should earn you mucho TB Karma. Thanks for takin' such good care for 2 of my racers. Thanks buddy.

Sn B):D gans

So much for Karma :o . Looks like Oscar II has gone missing in action (ripped off if you ask me!). :D Got a message from LilDevil that indicates: "Bad news. I visited the Men In Black cache where Oscar II was supposed to be. And he was gone! The cache is pretty old so naturally it held a bunch of trash. I was cleaning it out, and I did find a laminated tag that says "Oscar II wants to win the 2004 Cannonball Run 2" along with some basic instructions, ending with "Thanks, '96 Olympic-Volunteer" Finding that encouraged me to go thru the slag really well in hopes that maybe the dogtag was also there but it wasn't. " Thanks LilDevil for the effort! I have emailed other cahcers who were at the cache and "eyeboy" last saw Oscar II on May 7. Looks like he is out of the race for now unless he shows up someplace. Hey, its not over yet! Got a feeling he's still in this one. B) '96 Olympic-Volunteer

Our Geocaching Hampton Roads Welcome Wagon is competing against a couple of other "group" bugs, the Team NoVA and the Lehigh Valley Bug. So far I think we are solidly in the middle, but we have finally been picked up out of a cache we'd been in for nearly a month.

Cacheola Crew mom

for

Geocaching Hampton Roads VA

Edited by Cacheola Crew

Yep I have forgotten about the race :blink: My cannonball racer was "stolen" the day after it was placed into the race and no replies from the new cacher "da fam" that logged it out in the cache log. No logged movements on the site either!

We were all excited about our first TB race as well as the kids but this really put a damper on this race for us from watching from the sidelines. We expected some of our bugs to get "taken" but expected them to at least get 10 miles before disappearing!

Sorry to hear about the bugs that have disappeared. Makes you want to chew on bones or something! Hate people that take bugs and don't log them.

Actually, we've been checking the Cannonball page regularly to watch if any come nearby so we can move them on. Looking forward to being part of your "run" and hope to join it in the future.

My TB has traveled over 2 thousand miles, all the way in the hands of experienced cachers. now within 450 mi of winning the race a Newbie has grabbed my Bug and says they dont understand what to do with it.

My streak of luck in the race my have just run out!

I am now thinking Positive thoughts, hoping it will help my Bug through this stressful time.

Good luck to all racers.

Team Kilroy was here!

Well, I tend to be quiet most of the time, letting fate take its course in these kinda things that are way out of my control, but what the hey...

I am in second to last place. My racer is Kodiak. It has moved some, that I am thankful for. It is not currently lost. That I am thankful for. I would like to get out of California however.

The last log on my bug was..."Hmmmmm... What if Kodiak made a pit stop in one of my tough puzzle caches? Should I or should I not... ;-) We'll see where he goes... :-)"

That worries me slightly. However, at least it is not sitting on a snowy mountain in the canadian rockies like my racer in the Coast to Coast Canadian race.

Anyway, good luck all. I feel that this race is getting overshadowed right now by the Jeep promotion. Too bad really.

Congratulations to our new second place runners, what an impressive distance, over 600 miles in one move. WTG; Hampton Roads Virginia Welcome Wagon and Cannonball Run 04 Roadracer II.

Yeah Welcome Wagon!! (but I think we are now in third place, along with Snips turbo lotus)

Janine

for

Geocaching Hampton Roads!

Edited by Cacheola Crew
We picked up Bons' #55 Straight 16 Cannonballer near Seattle from ClayJar's AlaskaQuest travelling cache. CJ picked it up in California going for the polar route but it skipped Oregon. Returned it to Oregon and assessed the "Back to Square One" penalty.

Cheers!

I just want to thank you so much for that picture. It really warms my heart to see my bug and that plaque together, especially after meeting Team 360 and the Original Can Of Beans.

Feels better than winning. Thanks! :)

Gripper has gone missing or ripped off. I think the geomuggles like the new race tags :o . Here is what we got from a cacher who was going to pick up Gripper.

RE: Gripper

Siggy,

Wanted to grab your TB racer and take it to KC with us to release with Cool Ride, but it wasn't at the No TX cache. Hope it shows up.

Good Luck,

JNJWalla

Looks like Gripper is out of it like Oscar II.

'96 Olympic-Volunteer

Edited by '96 Olympic-Volunteer
Gripper has gone missing or ripped off. I think the geomuggles like the new race tags :D . Here is what we got from a cacher who was going to pick up Gripper.

:o yea, if you read the logs for Kilroy's Engine 122 (hope thats right) its medallion seems to have gone missing :o .

Gripper has gone missing or ripped off.  I think the geomuggles like the new race tags  ;) .  Here is what we got from a cacher who was going to pick up Gripper.

;) yea, if you read the logs for Kilroy's Engine 122 (hope thats right) its medallion seems to have gone missing :D .

It's true that the tag has been separated from my bug, but at least my bug is still in the race. I've been holding first place for quite a while now, but since the tag went missing I've noticed that my bug is not as appealing to cachers. At this stage of the game I think I want to ride under the radar anyway.

Sorry to hear of the trouble with Gripper, I've had him and the rest of the top five bugs in the race on my watch list, and was enjoying the competition. I've always thought the special tags would have this effect. The sad part is that the only bug that would make a good Trophy for me is my own, I guess some others dont feel that way.

Team Kilroy was here!

Hi folks

It is not often that I get up on my soapbox and rant, but I have been rather saddened by the fate of numerous TBs involved in the Cannonball Run 2004, including my girlfriend's and my own. We decided to enter the race this year after seeing it advertised online, thinking it would be a great way to continue participating in Geocaching through the summer months as we were going to be out of the loop in terms of local caching. We both sent in the fees/tags/attachment items and awaited the start of the race. When it finally started, we were delighted to begin watching the event unfold. We soon noticed that the TBs had another item (A CannonBall Run Medallion) attached to them. My heart dropped as I knew from experiences with the 38 other TBs I have out there that something that looked "interesting" or 'valuable' like that was probably not going to last. There are some greedy self-centered people out there who only want what others have without having to work for it for those Cannonball TBs to get far with such an unique attachment.

While I hate to criticize the organizers for this fauxpas, I would like to say it would have been far more rewarding and interesting if they had made those attachments available to the racers themselves. Frankly, I would have paid for one as a memento, and it also would have encouraged even more people to participate next time. Now, I have a funny feeling that some unscrupulous cacher from the GBES Navigational Rally simply walked off with a TB that they stole as it has not been seen since that event back on May 20. It is supposedly still at the event, according to the webpage.

May 20 by SKWERL (730 found)

Dropping a couple of bugs--On The Level (who is fascinated by altitudes) and Eat My Dust II (a Cannonballer)

The SKWERL

I am not very likely to participate in such events again in the future. Unfortunately, the actions of a few cachers (as in many other walks of life) have spoiled and tainted the image of the eager cacher rushing out to log a find and move a TB along for others to enjoy. I have met many very fine people while caching, many of whom became friends. None of them would do such a thing. What kind of person steals something as simple as a TB? It is not something they had put any time or effort into at all, and has no real meaning to them. If they wanted a TB tag and a yellow Matchbox car, I could have mailed them the cash or a similar setup myself. How pathetic.

I think it would be nice if for next year you guys set up a mailing list for members of the race so we can be notified when the bugs move.

When you get one like mine that sits for a while sometimes I forget the race is going on. :P

I think it would be nice if for next year you guys set up a mailing list for members of the race so we can be notified when the bugs move.

When you get one like mine that sits for a while sometimes I forget the race is going on. :(

You can add the TB's from the race to the watchlist so you can see them as they move. This might help you if this is something you are interested in. :wacko:

Unofficial Winner of the 2nd Annual CannonBall Run TB Race is.......

Vee-Dub the Tortoise Bug!!!! entered by defending champions Team GeoDillo,

and dropped off at Winners Circle at 2000 hrs EST 07/09/04 by OurWoods.

Now comes the tedious process of backtracking this bugs movements and verifing it's logs to make this official.

Meanwhile... Congradulations!

While the other racers were taking a nap, the Tortoise, slowly but steadily crossed the finish line! Woo-Hoo! :P

We couldn't have won it without the help of OenotheraClara who originally grabbed our Vee-Dub the Tortoise Bug at the Deja Vu All Over Again Event. Then sailorscodgers moved it all the way to Arizona. We C*EM picked it up and kept it because their little girl thought it was cute :( ...AHHHHH! It took several emails and prodding to get them to understand that this Vee-Dub was not a "keeper". Fortunately, they placed it in a cache a month later so that my good friend Gadget Girl could pick it up on her way out to the Grand Canyon. She took Vee-Dub through New Mexico and dropped in an Austin Texas cache. We grabbed it from that cache and brought it to the Bug Infestation event in Austin so that we could give it to Joe King. A big thanks to Joe King (Ken) from Killeen Texas who ferried our Vee-Dub through Arkansas, to the record busting, travel bug hording, Geo-Woodstock 2 event in Nashville. Joe King handed it off to OurWoods(Rachel) who overcame great obstacles getting through the last few states and on to the finish line. Tremendous thanks goes to OurWoods for the final legs of the race!

It all started with our Toby the Tortoise Bug who we entered into last year's race. We entered a Tortoise because everyone knows the tortoise always wins the race, right? Well this year we had to enter a vehicle (keeping with the theme of the Cannonball Run movie) so we took a VW Bug which is basically shaped like a tortoise, and hand painted a shell on it, in hopes that the Tortoise would win again. ....and it DID!

...and finally, thanks to the NYGO and all the people like Brogan and Egnix who have helped create such a fun event. I wonder how many tortoises there will be in the race next year?

Scott & Charlotte

Team GeoDillo

Austin, Texas

Congrats Team GeoDillo! Will they make it a Three-peat next year?

Looking at the stats, it is amazing anyone got east of the Mississipi, a much more north/south scatter of bugs I would say.

My racer, Kodiak, just moved out of California this weekend to Reno, Nevada, hoping he can get further still.

Now for those mysetery prizes....to what spoils go this victor? grrr...jackbear

How in the world do you manage to win every year? Do you have some sort of secret network of cachers who will take your bug around on a secret network of caches or something?

Never saw your bug at GeoWoodstock... It must have gotten snatched before I got there.

The above post was an Error : HappyFrog had nothing to do with it. Seems HF's log-in was still on my PC. Please don't send any flack in that direction. Send it this way!

Warning All CannonBall Racers ! The CannonBall Cop has ARRESTED his first racer :tired: for 2004. It's time to think JAIL or BAIL again. Several racers are nearing my reach :unsure: and if caught will be ARRESTED. Lucky :unsure: for one, he already made it by my network of speed traps! The CannonBall Cop is working overtime.

Whoo Hoo!

Dragonflyer #12 made it to the Winner's Circle!

A super big thanks to HappyFrog (& Gang) for taking DF#12 under their web and moving him across the country (CA to NY)! We really appreciated HappyFrog's help, especially after DF#12 early reversal in direction. Thanks to Strikeforce1 for letting him out of jail and to Wetpaws for is early efforts!

Thanks all!

NWscout1

At least you didn't ask why it says ringbone  :D

OK Welch, I'll not ask, I almost said "I'll bite" but I'm not sure that won't be taken wrong ;) . What is Ringbone? B)

Ringbone was (is?) a cacher that used a sock puppet... very badly (the cookies kept them logged in as ringbone when they posted as the other, then they asked 'why does my post say ringbone'.). In that case the person was complaining about some rule or other, and used this other account to agree with themselves... Run a search, you can find the whole thread.

I guess its maybe more stupid than funny, but I still smile when I think about it (and when I see ppl posting under anothers account by mistake :P ).

Whoo Hoo!

Dragonflyer #12 made it to the Winner's Circle!

Thanks to Strikeforce1 for letting him out of jail and to Wetpaws for is early efforts!

Thanks all!

NWscout1

Yeah Yeah! NWscout!. I just couldn't find it in my heart to hold on to it and have another sneak in under the radar! We had arranged a grab, a few weeks back, and somehow missed communications with HappyFrog (& gang) being on the road! Had we connected, I would have driven from here to where they were off the Rt 219 in Pa, and returned that night to drop in the Winner Circle. We would have beat the other tb ( if I recall ) by 2-3 days and your tb whould have made 1st place, and I would have had 5 FTF's, back to back! But anyway, Happy Frog (& gang) should get 99.9% of the credit for their efforts. Congrads on 2nd place at the least, and not having your Tb go MIA like some do. SF1