2nd Annual Cannonball Run

CannonBall Run

Welcome to the 2nd Annual CannonBall Run!

Highlights for this year include a couple of rule changes and the addition of a special limited edition 2004 CannonBall Run Tag.

How to get started:

1. Start with a NEW unused TB tag.

2. Attach it to any WHEELED vehicle that you wish.

(any submissions that do NOT fit this description will not be entered)

3. Place any identifying marks, cards, tags that you wish on your TB.

4. Send it to:

NYGO

1242 Graff Rd

Attica, New York

include with your TB a check or money order, payable to NYGO , in the amount of $5.00 US funds (this fee will be used to cover the costs of the Special Edition Tags, handling, awards, etc).

All entrants MUST be received by March 15th, 2004. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.

5. Watch your e-mail for a notice thru GC.com that your bug has been grabbed and held for entry in the 2nd Annual CannonBall TB Race.

6. Watch for a secret release between the dates of March 25th and April 15th, 2004

7. Do everything you can to get your TB to the endcache first!

Basic Rules:

1. TBs can only move one state at a time, states must share a common geographic border. Any TB that skips a state intentionally or not MUST move back to the last consecutive state that it was in (not necessarily the same cache) and begin again from there. This rule holds true for TBs leaving the USA into foreign countries.

2. Anyone MAY move any TB in the race. (NOTE: Rule Change) While we can't stop interference, we do discourage undo negative interference. (IE: placing someone's bug in a seldom visited cache in one thing, placing thirty of them in remote mountaintop caches is another!) Owners are encouraged to request help from other cachers along the way in order to move their bugs faster, rather than attempting to slow down others.

3. First TB to the endcache wins! (as in the last race there will be awards for other catagories) Determination of the winner(s) is solely the responsibility of the NYGO Board of Directors.

Points of Interest:

1. This years race is again a Cross Country Race. HOWEVER we will not be announcing the Start Point or the Endcache in advance of the race. This precludes the racers from attaching information to their TB with specific moving instructions. It is recommended however that you attach a card of some type directing people to the CannonBall Run Website for more information on the Race and your particular TBs activities in it.

2. Also this year we will NOT be announcing a specific start date for the race, only that the bugs will be mass released between the above mentioned dates. The 2004 version will be that the bugs will be grabbed to the CannonBall Run user account at GC.com and you will receive the normal e-mail notification that your bug has been released at &*%&*% cache. Again the intent is to make organized interference with the racers more dificult.

3. NYGO will NOT be offering to mail back your TB this year. However when/if your TB completes the race, the endcache owner will be willing to make arrangements for the shipping of your bug.

Good Luck in the Race!

"It is recommended however that you attach a card of some type directing people to the CannonBall Run Website for more information on the Race and your particular TBs activities in it."

Will this site be the same as the one being used for the 2003 race? (whats the url)

Does the wheeled requirement mean ALL enteries must be ground base units? IE: Many airplanes have wheels, but are most commonly considered to travel threw the sky, not taxi along the highways.... <_<

"It is recommended however that you attach a card of some type directing people to the CannonBall Run Website for more information on the Race and your particular TBs activities in it."

Will this site be the same as the one being used for the 2003 race? (whats the url)

Does the wheeled requirement mean ALL enteries must be ground base units? IE: Many airplanes have wheels, but are most commonly considered to travel threw the sky, not taxi along the highways.... :D

The website is http://www.ny-geocaching.org/cannonballrun .

Your statement about vehicles is correct, they must be ground-based. Airplanes, although they have wheels, are out.

Just a semantic question... If my bug were in Vermont and was taken to Quebec, would it have to travel back to Vermont before moving on to New York? Or could it be taken from Quebec to New York? The end result would be that it moved from Vermont to New York, which is an adjacent state. Nothing was skipped.

A similar question... if my bug were taken from Vermont to Oregon, would it have to return to Vermont before moving on, or could it be taken to New York instead.

Thanks,

YodaDoe

Let's answer a few questions shall we?

Team GeoDillo, No, sorry the tortise is out this year.... unless you can fit him inside a ground based wheeled vehicle. Wasn't last year enough? Cross country race, getting married, two kids!! C'mon, let them rest a bit!

The Weasel, Enter as many racers as you like as long as they each have a new TB tag on them. As for the entry fee just do the math like you stated. Feel free to send them all in one mailer, just be sure to pad them well.

YodaDoe, the rules specifically state that the racer has to return to the last consecutive state that it was IN. (Vermont in both cases)

Thanks for all the input, hope you enjoy this years race!

Edited by CannonBall Run
Having helped win the last race, I really want to get in on this one. Does it really HAVE to be a wheeled vehicle? What about a plane, or boat, or submarine???

Can I enter more than one?

Only if the boats on a trailer, the plane is being towed, and the sub is... well I don't how to figure that one out :(

And yes you can enter more than one, go up a couple replies for that answer.

Having helped win the last race, I really want to get in on this one. Does it really HAVE to be a wheeled vehicle? What about a plane, or boat, or submarine???

Can I enter more than one?

Only if the boats on a trailer, the plane is being towed, and the sub is... well I don't how to figure that one out :(

And yes you can enter more than one, go up a couple replies for that answer.

Well SHOOT! That ends my Land, Sea, and Air approach to this race. I had 3 cool tbs set aside for it too.

A plane is ok with the gear down though...Right?

I may only make one entry now......Unless I can come up with another clever idea. I'll think of something....

Sn :o:o gans

Just for verifacation, when you get your racer ready, do you actually "Activate" the TB before you send it in?

Yes, you would activate the tag and set up the page however you want, just don't bother logging it into any caches. Just leave it in 'your hands' and then when it arrives in NY, the coordinator will use the number to "collect" them and log them into the starting point.

A plane by itself got a 'no' a few days, I would guess its still the same <_<

So I guess this means the winner(s) of the first race don't get to compete in the second race? :D

It's a conspiracy to keep shelled quadropeds from winning again!

Okay, back to business;

I have an SR-71 (several planes actually) with the landing gear down. Is THAT OK? <_<

I'm assuming my, Blaine the Insane Train, tb is OK.

Where did "All entries have to be ground-based, wheeled vehicles," come from? Is that how rumors start?

any WHEELED vehicle

Lots of things have wheels..... Can this be defined a little better? Is it ANYTHING on wheels? Must it be something that would carry a driver or passenger? Do the wheels have to roll? What if someone submits a laminated picture or other form of 2 dimensional "Wheeled Vehicle," as their racing bug?

It's your contest and I want to play by the rules. Getting Started Rule #2 severely limits creativity IMO, but that might make it interesting.

Sn :D:D gans

Edited by Snoogans
Your statement about vehicles is correct, they must be ground-based.  Airplanes, although they have wheels, are out.

Snoogans, here is the source...

Cool. Thanks. I must have missed it. There's one question down.

Back to clarification: Hospital beds have wheels. People DO race them for fun. Would a hospital bed tb be excluded? It's ground based.....

No, I have no plans of entering a hospital bed tb. The reason I'm asking these questions is because I don't really WANT to make some run-of-the-mill matchbox car into a tb for this race. This is THE race. I (and I'm sure others) don't want to enter a race with tb that will be duplicated by one, or more, other people in the same race. I also don't want to send a racer (or several racers) only to find that they are not suitable. I'm sure no one else wants that either.

Blaine the Insane Train will be entered for sure, but I had planned to enter at least 3 until this limitation was announced.

Blaine the Insane Train will be entered for sure, but I had planned to enter at least 3 until this limitation was announced.

Is this some kind of train that you've dubbed "Blaine" or is this something that really has to do with the Dark Tower? One way or another, I'd love to see a picture.

YodaDoe

Is this some kind of train that you've dubbed "Blaine" or is this something that really has to do with the Dark Tower? One way or another, I'd love to see a picture.

YodaDoe

Blaine the Insane Train will need some tweaking before he's ready to go. I had other plans for him, but they will have to wait until he wins this race.

Sn <_<:Dgans

So I guess this means the winner(s) of the first race don't get to compete in the second race? <_<

It's a conspiracy to keep shelled quadropeds from winning again!

If you can't beat 'em, outlaw 'em... :D

I've been saving two TB tags just for this event. Now to steal two of Curly Tiger's Hot Wheel cars.

Let me try and shed some light on the subject of what is deemed an acceptable entry for this race.

First and foremost it must be a wheeled vehicle. (pretty self explanatory)

Secondly it must be ground based. ( no jets, planes, helicopters, etc)

The intent is to stay as close as possible to the real CannonBall Run (as in the movie). This would mean that cars, trucks, motocycles, and the like would be acceptable where a train, trolley car, subway car, or boat would NOT be.

We are not such sticklers that the wheels must roll but we do expect the TB to be a three demensional vehicle and not a picture of one.

This still gives you plenty of leeway in creating your own unique TB(s), feel free to add drivers to your vehicles, customize your bugs with unique paint jobs, disguise them as other types of vehicles... just rent the movie and watch it, you'll get a feel for what we are after.

BTW, the coveted Pole Position is still up for grabs, it is awarded to the first TB to arrive in the NYGO mailbox.

Edited by CannonBall Run

This was actually posted in the thread for the 2003 race, but I'll quote it here to avoid confusion.

If anyone is considering sending last years racing TB to particapate in the 2nd Annual CannonBall Run TB Race remember that the bug MUST have a new, unused, activated TB tag placed on it.

Do the tags actually have to on the racer? I was planning on just carving the number into the car, cliping an info sheet on, and leaving the aluminum at home. Would this be acceptable?? <_<

Anyone MAY move any TB in the race. (NOTE: Rule Change) While we can't stop interference, we do discourage undo negative interference. (IE: placing someone's bug in a seldom visited cache in one thing, placing thirty of them in remote mountaintop caches is another!) Owners are encouraged to request help from other cachers along the way in order to move their bugs faster, rather than attempting to slow down others.

How will this rule be enforced? In other words, what is the remedy if someone breaks this rule and moves a travel bug, ohhh, let's say, 300 miles in the wrong direction, into a moving cache placed on a military reservation? (Just speaking hypothetically, mind you...)

Sorry, but this issue of malicious interference will preclude me from participating in any race that begins in New York. Perhaps if I heard some more thinking behind the rule change, I might be persuaded otherwise. Thanks.

This event is the sign I was looking for. As a kid I was about the hardest person on toys. Whether it was smashing them with a hammer or just blowing them up, toys and me didn't last long. I was the equivalent to the neighbor kid Sid on "Toy Story".

BUT, I kept one car in its ORIGINAL packaging. I knew it would have a special purpose in life, so 20 years after I bought it, I will be breaking the seal on my mint, in the package, 1982 Dukes of Hazzard Boss Hogg cadilac, complete with the horns on the hood.

64070_2500.jpg

Anyone MAY move any TB in the race. (NOTE: Rule Change) While we can't stop interference, we do discourage undo negative interference. (IE: placing someone's bug in a seldom visited cache in one thing, placing thirty of them in remote mountaintop caches is another!) Owners are encouraged to request help from other cachers along the way in order to move their bugs faster, rather than attempting to slow down others.

How will this rule be enforced? In other words, what is the remedy if someone breaks this rule and moves a travel bug, ohhh, let's say, 300 miles in the wrong direction, into a moving cache placed on a military reservation? (Just speaking hypothetically, mind you...)

Sorry, but this issue of malicious interference will preclude me from participating in any race that begins in New York. Perhaps if I heard some more thinking behind the rule change, I might be persuaded otherwise. Thanks.

I would imagine there's not to much that can be done unless the person doing the interference is in the race then maybe they can be disqualified.

However if a person isn't in the race and they move a bug to a 5/5 cache on top of a mountain there really isn't to much the organizers can do.

This event is the sign I was looking for. As a kid I was about the hardest person on toys. Whether it was smashing them with a hammer or just blowing them up, toys and me didn't last long. I was the equivalent to the neighbor kid Sid on "Toy Story".

BUT, I kept one car in its ORIGINAL packaging. I knew it would have a special purpose in life, so 20 years after I bought it, I will be breaking the seal on my mint, in the package, 1982 Dukes of Hazzard Boss Hogg cadilac, complete with the horns on the hood.

64070_2500.jpg

I hope you are kidding on opening that up for this race. I have two words you may want to think about first E and BAY.

I would imagine there's not to much that can be done unless the person doing the interference is in the race then maybe they can be disqualified.

However if a person isn't in the race and they move a bug to a 5/5 cache on top of a mountain there really isn't to much the organizers can do.

Nope, not kidding. I figure I may as well do something with it. It has more senimental value than monitary value. I also have a Dukes of Hazzard watch new in the case as well <_< . As you can tell, I worshiped the Dukes. (Except for Coy and Vance) :D

This was actually posted in the thread for the 2003 race, but I'll quote it here to avoid confusion.
If anyone is considering sending last years racing TB to particapate in the 2nd Annual CannonBall Run TB Race remember that the bug MUST have a new, unused, activated TB tag placed on it.

Do the tags actually have to on the racer? I was planning on just carving the number into the car, cliping an info sheet on, and leaving the aluminum at home. Would this be acceptable?? <_<

Yes, carving the number into the car should be fine. The point was just that it was an activated number that had not been used yet, ie no mileage or logs.

If you read carefully, the rule last year is that you couldn't interfere with another racers bug. This year, we've removed that rule so that anyone may move any bug in the race.

The truth is, we couldn't enforce it, nor was there any way we could have prevented what happened last year with the large number of bugs that were abducted. If there is malicious interference from a race participant, we would most likely give a warning to that cacher and possibly disqualify them from winning.

If you're unhappy with this rule, or propose something else, I'd be happy to hear you out offline. Feel free to email us at cannonballrun@ny-geocaching.org .

Edited by Dekaner
Let me try and shed some light on the subject of what is deemed an acceptable entry for this race.

First and foremost it must be a wheeled vehicle. (pretty self explanatory)

Secondly it must be ground based. ( no jets, planes, helicopters, etc)

The intent is to stay as close as possible to the real CannonBall Run (as in the movie). This would mean that cars, trucks, motocycles, and the like would be acceptable where a train, trolley car, subway car, or boat would NOT be.

We are not such sticklers that the wheels must roll but we do expect the TB to be a three demensional vehicle and not a picture of one.

This still gives you plenty of leeway in creating your own unique TB(s), feel free to add drivers to your vehicles, customize your bugs with unique paint jobs, disguise them as other types of vehicles... just rent the movie and watch it, you'll get a feel for what we are after.

BTW, the coveted Pole Position is still up for grabs, it is awarded to the first TB to arrive in the NYGO mailbox.

So we went from:

to: they must be ground-based.

to: more like the movie which means no trains etc. :lol:

I'm glad that I asked questions. I know that this is a work in progress. I have anticipated it for some time, ONLY now it has an aftertaste like diet soda. I still want to play though. You guys went to alot of trouble on the last one and it was way cool.

I'll be entering two unusual Hot Wheels cars (Jet Threat and Treadator) and one Hot Wheels Thunder Cycle. (Pursuit 701) Those should be acceptable.

Sn :lol::lol:gans

Okay, not trying to nitpick the rules, but like many people, I want to submit an original racer. So I have to ask about the rules some more:

We're trying to stick to wheeled vehicles that are good for racing, like the movie. Trains and other rail-bound vehicles are out. And I assume random objects that happen to have wheels are out too, such as a donkey with wheels... or a Trojan Horse! My problem is that there are tons of legitimately wheeled items that you wouldn't really think of racing in an actual road race across the country. But these items could be racers in SOME respect. Check it:

1. A miniature Radio Flyer red wagon (hey, Calvin & Hobbes race 'em!)

2. A chariot (like Ben-Hur)

3. A soapbox racer

4. BMX bikes or skateboards

5. Tanks

I do have a pink '59 El Camino and an Oscar Mayer Weinermobile... but a non-Hot-Wheels bug would be more fun, I think.

YodaDoe

YodaDoe,

Radio Flyer, chariot, soapbox racer, BMX bike and skateboard would be ruled out as they have no engines, yes I admit they all do race, but certainly not cross-country. The tank idea I would rule out as it is a tracked vehicle not technically wheeled, however an APC would definately fit the bill in all catagories. Once again I refer you to the CannonBall Run Movie.

YodaDoe,

Radio Flyer, chariot, soapbox racer, BMX bike and skateboard would be ruled out as they have no engines, yes I admit they all do race, but certainly not cross-country. The tank idea I would rule out as it is a tracked vehicle not technically wheeled, however an APC would definately fit the bill in all catagories. Once again I refer you to the CannonBall Run Movie.

What about a moped like in Dumb and Dumber? The made it from like Nebraska to Colorado :P

Yay!! dwgogo and the screamer will be entering again this year, hopefully with better luck than last year. The Screamin' Gogomobile is still stalled in Ohio - apparantly on someone's computer. Oh well, he must have decided to stop screamin' and move in for awhile. I'm on my way to order new tb tags now. I hope more bugs make it into Arizona this year. We promise - we will be helpful no matter who makes it into town! :P

Will the racers ever know where the finish line is? I'm assuming it will be somewhere on the west coast. I guess the info we can send with the bugs can say that they are racing to the west coast?

Once again, many thanks to the organizers for another fun event!! :P