Geocaching In The Movies

tubby and

i just watched "The Shawshank Redemption" again last night. i was struck once more by how many movies contain a geocaching scene. i realize that this may reveal an obsession, but it seems that so many movies have at least one scene like this. What is your favorite Geocaching scene from a movie? i want to mark a cache with a volcanic rock some time. Or somehow figure out how to make a cache that can "only be found by those who already know where it is." with a compass that doesn't point North. Groundspeak, what have you done to me?

I liked all the effort they went through in Armageddon to try and hide a cache before it got to Earth. Too bad things blew up in their faces :lol:

There was also a very interesting multi cache in Die Hard with a Vengance :unsure:

Or was that more of a puzzle cache?

Edited by Perrin

Mopar and I watched Shawshank Redemption a few weeks ago and we commented on the Caching spin at the end. Man wouldn't we all like to find a cache like that? Oh! Wait! I have . . . a Where's George trading cache! Ha! The problem is keeping someone from cleaning it out . . . where I have seen that happen before?

As for Seven . . . I saw that one too . . . I definately do not want to find a cache like that!! Ack!

Happy caching and stuff!

<_< Today is my first day of caching (did I spell that right?). My son and I have decided to begin with seeking...then work our way up to hiding.

One of the ways I explained to him what all this was about was to compare it to the final scenes in Shawshank. He said he's gonna look at movies..and LIFE!..in a different way now. He's homeschooled, so we've added the following lessons to his lessons for this month.

Earth Science(s)

Longitude/Latitude

Mathematics with a compass/GPS

Language Commication (report writing/submission)

Aint it cool!??! :D

I'm a huge fan of Shawshank Redemption. Alot of the movie was shot in Ohio and I'd always wanted to go out the the field where they shot the "geocaching" scene.

Well I was talking about the movie at work one day and one of the guys I work with is from the area they shot the movie in. It turns out that they shot that scene on his grandparents land. I haven't hit him up yet but I'm going to try to get out there this spring once it's nice.

Depending on the distance from the road and what premissions I can get there is a small possibility I could but a cache there.

I can only hope.

While not a movie, the book Cryptonomicon has a part where someone gives one of the main characters GPS coordinates that take him to a massive pile of gold in the middle of the woods. It's a very, VERY good book. There are a number of other uses of GPS throughout the book.

Shawshank was an amazing movie. I'm in Ohio, the prison they used is less than 2 hours south of me, and I imagine the field has to be in that general area. It would be great if Coaster-COG could hide an actual cache there!!

mattopia

Not a movie, but saw something similar to caching on a PBS channel a few weeks ago. It was talking about Churchhills auxillary force of villagers he had when the germans were going to invade england. They would pass secret notes around and hide them in things that people use for caches today. Like fake bolts and etc. They had one thing a telephone pole that marked the pole with a number. Behind the number was a tube into the wood. They would hide notes in there for the next person to pick up to move along. If the number was upside down, then there was a note in it, if not, then it was empty. A lot of other neat stuff too...

Edit: Mistyped what I was trying to say. I initially put when England invaded Germnay and meant to put when they were going to. The show played it like it would of happened or like it did happen actually. The hiding places for the notes were to pass the information on to the radioman, which on this show was the minister in the church and he had the radio hidden in the pulpit. Here's a link about those secret auxiliary forces. http://www.warlinks.com/pages/auxiliary.html

Edited by woodsters

Went out last night with Smtycolt and Strohem to see Without a Paddle. The movie's about three childhood friends who get back together to go on a treasure hunt.

No GPSs were used, but there was plenty of map work and a crappy compass.

Very funny movie. I think there were way too many times when we were all thinking of each other, "Yep, that's exactly what YOU would do."

Bret

I'm a huge fan of Shawshank Redemption. Alot of the movie was shot in Ohio and I'd always wanted to go out the the field where they shot the "geocaching" scene.

Well I was talking about the movie at work one day and one of the guys I work with is from the area they shot the movie in. It turns out that they shot that scene on his grandparents land. I haven't hit him up yet but I'm going to try to get out there this spring once it's nice.

Depending on the distance from the road and what premissions I can get there is a small possibility I could but a cache there.

I can only hope.

I'm from ohio and I would love to see a cache from the movie. Where at in ohio was that filmed?

Today is my first day of caching (did I spell that right?). My son and I have decided to begin with seeking...then work our way up to hiding.
Good choice.

:blink: Shawshank Redemption was shot at the old Mansfield Reformatory, I would say, about 35 to 45 minutes (time) SW of you, on the north side of town. That's 25-35 minutes east of me on Rt. 30.

Yeah I agree with:

The Lord of the Rings had a pretty good travel bug.
posted by Team SageFox. I'm not just agreeing because we share the same surname (I'm "BabyFox") LOL! Ok I like the name too. I am replying also because I am currently wearing a replica of "the one ring" from Lord of the Rings around my neck. I loved the movie that much lol and I have Gandalf's brooch replica too pinned to my pocketbook. I wonder what the average speed of THE ONE RING TB in Lord of the Rings was? haha. I would consider "City Slickers" to be included in having a cache. Though it was a treasure of gold they were seeking, they had lost the map at one point but remembered to "cross over the buffalo's back" and "the hand points the way", etc... so had to figure out what those things all meant and keep looking for the next clue that they could recall just like a MULTI-CACHE. It reminds me of a recent cache that I did (unsucessfully), the clue said "stand back and look for where the bushes are different". In the City Slickers movie, they don't see the buffalo's back or the hand (I forget) until they stand back and then they see everything clearly. Shawshank Redemption however yeah is the best cache movie and best movie ever! I will sign off now by translating the "Elvish" inscription on my Lord of the Rings ring into english:

ONE RING TO RULE THEM ALL

ONE RING TO FIND THEM

ONE RING TO BRING THEM ALL

AND IN THE DARKNESS BIND THEM.

Went out last night with Smtycolt and Strohem to see Without a Paddle. The movie's about three childhood friends who get back together to go on a treasure hunt.

No GPSs were used, but there was plenty of map work and a crappy compass.

Very funny movie. I think there were way too many times when we were all thinking of each other, "Yep, that's exactly what YOU would do."

I too saw some of that movie. As soon as the map came out, I thought caching. What I saw of the movie was pretty funny. However, the cave scene kinda scared me...Reminded me of a quote from my anual deer hunt..."Hey, what happens in deer camp, stays in deer camp..." :blink:

What I saw of the movie was pretty funny. However, the cave scene kinda scared me...Reminded me of a quote from my anual deer hunt..."Hey, what happens in deer camp, stays in deer camp..." :blink:

LOL....the three of us (Smtycolt, Strohem and I) also went down to Nashville for Geo-Woodstock II together. Our mantra in the months prior to the trip was, "What happens in Nashville stays in Nashville."

I'm really freaked out that you said that! :blink:

Bret

"Hey, what happens in deer camp, stays in deer camp..."

Why would you send your deer to camp. I just don't understand.

I like to follow deer trails sometimes to get to the caches. Trouble is, they don't geocache much. :lol: It's nice when they do. But they ALWAYS take the salt licks, and they leave nothing (though they usually sign the log.)