New, Need Help

Musclemax

Hi All, Brand new and want to get started cacheing, but need some good advise on what GPS to get. Have read some on the various units, but so confusing. What are the basics needed? Topographical? street maping? WAAS capability? Also have an IPAQ,I could get software for I think, but wouldn't be waterproof. Also, travel Asia and Europe so would like to be able to possibly find some caches there. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks

Hi Musclemax,

Welcome to Geocaching! As far as which unit to get has been a long and heated debate. You might want to check your local area for a up coming get together and attend. It will be a great way to get a lot of questions answered and see different units in use. It's also a great way to meet other fellow geocachers in your area.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

What's needed depends on what you're planning on doing.

If you plan on using your GPS to help you navigate while driving, or for going on extensive camping trips (hiking), get one with mapping capability. It'll cost you more, but you'll get MUCH more use out of the GPS.

If you want to be really basic, the Garmin Geko 101 is enough to do caching with. In some ways, the simpler units make for a more enjoyable geocaching experience, as a little more effort is required in trying to figure out how to even get NEAR the cache, let alone right to it.

Unless you're an avid mountain climber, you probably don't need functions like an altimeter and a compass.

I'd recommend two units: For mapping, get the eTrex Legend. For basic stuff, get the Geko 101 or 201.

If you think you'll ever go in groups with other people, or as a family, consider picking up a couple Garmin Rinos instead. Once again, the Rino 110 for basic stuff, and the 210 for mapping. They're really only fun in pairs though.

Just one thing about the Geko 101 - unless I'm mistaken it doesn't have the capability to download waypoints, so you have to enter everything manually. That might not seem to matter at first, but it could soon become a bit of a drag if you're using it a lot.

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

Great points made above. I'll repeat them just for emphasis:

GPSr with download capabilities to save from typing in coordinates on the device.

Attend a meet to see units in use. Seeing one helps a lot in figuring out if you like it.

My brother recently dusted off his old (5+ years) GPSr and went out on a hunt and it did just fine. The only feature he was really lacking was the ability to switch from miles to feet once he neared his destination. Really wasn't very useful to know the destination was 0.01mi away. Knowing 50 or 30ft helps a lot.

Good luck in your search!

Data cable is a must. Price everthing with one.

Mapping helps. If you want maps, target the units that give you maps for your travels.

You really need to look ahead to the best of your ability and figure out the features you will use. Then buy the GPS that fits your needs the best. If you are like I was this isn't easy. That's why I went with a Garmin GPS V it's still the best handheld on the market.

I'm new at this, too and found helpful advice in the "Guide for buying a GPS unit (for Geocaching)" which can be found on the "About Geocaching" page. I bought my Magellan Meridian on Ebay for about $150.00 and am very happy with it so far. It took bidding on a few different auctions to get the price I wanted but it was worth it. Good Luck & have fun icon_biggrin.gif

"We'd mount an expedition heading up into the bay,superstitious children playing Pirate for a Day."-Jimmy Buffett

As far the Garmin map software goes, MetroGuide is invaluable. I use it to plot routes ahead of time on my PC, then download the turn by turn directions to my Vista. It's also helpful for visualizing locations of caches you haven't found.

I also have the topo maps, but I find I don't use them often. Caches around here are generally less than 1 mile from the road, and the terrain isn't particularly tricky. Add to that the fairly coarse contours of the maps and the tiny screen, and I find they are of limited use, at least in CT. They came in handy on extended hikes in New Hampshire, but overall I would rather carry a paper USGS topo for the extra detail it provides.

There are some values out there to be had.

Magellan packages some of their units for Costco etc complete with mapping cd-roms and extra memory. Be sure to compare the features of varying units. eBay is a good place for *certain* models, but only if you know the ins and outs of eBay already.

I have used both Garmin and Magellan, and do not wish to push you towards either, but generally speaking, I have found Magellan to offer a better overall value when comparing the etrex series against the Meridian series.

There are deals on LEGITIMATE software on eBay and other places... and as well, magellan offers some fairly hefty rebates when buying GPS AND software together. The topo cd for USA is typically at least $75 from either maker.

There are tricks you will need to learn in order to load multiple regions into a unit at the same time, BTW.

And sorry, one last thing (I hope), you mentioned the PDA option, which would be worth investigating, but you probably will want a stand alone GPS.

However, you will use the PDA for storing the cache pages I presume.

The next level is one of the manufacturers coming out with some PDA components within a GPS to allow cache pages to be loaded in, logs to be created at the cache site, and then automatically loaded into gc.com when hotsync'd. I don't think this is too far fetched at all.