So What Is It? Sport?hobby?game?

cache-man-do

For me the answer has to be outdoor activity. I love to hunt, hike and backpack. All of these I consider sports. Caching is just an excuse to get outside or make unscheduled stops in unfamiliar places. Adds a small challenge to the otherwise ordinary routine.

Since I don't backpack...

Why do you consider backpacking a sport, but geocaching an outdoor activity?

Some of the caches I've seen, the only difference I could understand is that with backpacking I'm not looking for anything in particular.

Why do you consider backpacking a sport, but geocaching an outdoor activity?

When going out backpacking for 2 weeks or more, it is necessary to purchase a minimum amount of "sporting equipment". Furthermore since a day on the trail usually amounts to about 25 kilometers carrying 30 kilograms and changing altitude as much as 500 meters it usually requires some physical training and preparation. Especially if you work a sedintary job as I do.

To me it's a "hobby."

It's not entirely an outdoor activity, as it's more technology-related and I do spend considerable time on the computer, like right now.

It's not quite a "Game" either, since I don't do it to compete with anyone.

And if I found out it was a "Sport" I'd have to change my lifestyle: take steroids to create a level playing field with all of the other pill-popping geocachers, Johnny Cochran would have to defend me from the usual allegations, I'd want a LOT more money, and I'd need an "athletic tutor" to do my homework.

-Bob

Have any of you considered checking a dictionary to see the definition of "sport"?

"1. An often competitive athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess. 2. Diversion or recreation."

By the first definition, I'd say no, Geocaching is not a sport. By the second definition, it is. However, since most people use the first definition (that's why it's first), I'm going to have to go with No, Geocaching is not a sport. (Watching TV is a recreation, but I can't imagine anyone who calls it a sport.)

And don't go trying to persuade me that you have skill in finding a cache. I have a friend who finds caches all the time, and he's not even using a GPS. Heck, he's not even looking. :unsure:

I think of it more as a hobby or activity. :( Now depending on how you apply this hobby you may have a sport of sorts. :unsure: Even my mountain biking is more of an activity for me and my family unless we are competing in an event such as the "24-Hours of Adrenalin" then i would say it becomes a sport. :mad:

It seems to be all about how each person participates in Caching that defines if it is a Sport / Activity / Hobby. Just calling it one over the other is not that simple. :lol::lol:

From Merriam-Webster

Main Entry: sport

Function: noun

1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure.

From Encarta:

Sport (Noun)

2. An active pastime participated in for pleasure or exercise

From the American Heritage dictionary:

Sport

3. An active pastime; recreation.

From the Infoplease dictionary:

Sport

3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

Geocaching sure sounds like a sport to me! But its also a game....but so is baseball, where they keep score and standings.....and it's also a hobby...like fishing....which is also a sport....I'm coufused....well maybe no. It's all three!

Definitely a hobby. Sports are competitive..

Not according to the dictionary. Anyway, as Flask pointed out in a post, Bridge is competetive, but I doubt anybody would call it a sport.

Edited by briansnat
Anyway, as Flask pointed out in a post, Bridge is competetive, but I doubt anybody would call it a sport.

Well, my folks are/were avid players. I do believe my father considered duplicate bridge a sport.

Considering in my youth we traveled all over to play in tournaments, built an addition to our home for 12 card tables to fit comfortably, and had four games a week in this room (not counting the lessons they taught), I am comfortable in describing bridge as a sport.