Additional maps or not ??

jonesjj

Greetings All,

I am new to this new adventure, I just recived my Legend and was wondering if using just the base map that is in the unit would be sufficant?

I have a Street Pilot 3 to use in the car and city nav for it to get close to my destination and then use the legend when I get out of car.

So do you think having any additional maps downloaded in the legend would be any help like Topo maps or city nav ?

I ask this becouse with my city nav I am only allowed to unlock it for 2 units one has already been used for my street pilot 3 and I am not sure I want to unlock it the last time for the legend couse I may be upgrading the legend at some time to the vista, V, or 76.

what do you guys/gals think ?

Regards

Jeff

I have found the Mapsource MetroGuide Europe invaluable. I have used it extensively while traveling on business. Much better than any of the local maps (except the military ones) in some of the out-of-the -way places that I end up.

I will be heading to the Pacific Rim in a couple of months. Hopefully I can find some good maps of that area.

And the answer is yes. The waypoints will show up on the maps.

Personally, my choice in your case would be to upload TOPO maps into your Legend since you already have the Street pilot for use in the car. My only question would regard how useful TOPO maps are in IL. being as how it's a fairly flat state. Terrain, other than waterways may not be of much interest to you.

My normal setup is to use my PocketPC and mapopolis for all of my vehicle navigation. the Legend which I load with TOPO maps takes over once I depart the vehicle and head out on foot. Works great for me.

quote:
Originally posted by jonesjj:

Am I correct in thinking that when I down load the waypoint for any cache, it will be on a mapquest map automaticly from the download ? or am I still mixed up here.

Still mixed up.

You can't download maps for your GPS off the internet. Only the GPS's manufacturer can supply the software necessary to do that.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I found the base maps on the Legend to be pretty useless. I have Mapsource Topo on mine and like it. It really helps to know which side of a river a cache is on, or if there is a ravine, hill, or swamp between you and the cache.

It also shows most streets, so it comes in handy when trying to get to the cache, although since you have a Streetpilot, that really isn't an issue.

I agree with the others. Get EasyGPS to download and manage your waypoints. Works well and its FREE!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

icon_confused.gif From what I have read the only maps that can be loaded into my Garmin Legend is the Map Source maps from Garmin. I also believe that waypoints have to be manually loaded into the Legend unit. I keep seeing the Quakemap.com answer to every question about the Legend GPSr but when I go to the site for Quakemap the program doesn't apply to the Garmin Legend. Quite confusing for newbies.

Bottom line as far as I see is E-Trex Legends only use Garmin software. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Terry

QuakeMap works with eTrex family (and most other Garmins and Magellans) just fine. Legend is one step on the product line from Vista, which I use all the time. Not to mention that any other mainstream program will work with your Legend too. That's for transferring waypoints, routes and tracklogs, not for maps.

Check out this thread specifically for Legend: http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=2016058331&m=59060848&r=75160758#75160758

The only function that requires Garmin software is loading detailed maps to GPS, you are right here.

http://www.quakemap.com - redefining Easy...

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by quakemap.com:

This is exactly what QuakeMap was made for, follow the links below:

http://www.quakemap.com/pages/screenshots/GeocachesDetail.jpg

Looks nice, but how does this help the topic starter get maps on his GPS????

It doesn't, of course. Just another opportunity for him to spam the forums with his advertizing.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

My posting was direct answer to jonesjj's question immediately preceeding it:

------------------------

Originally posted by jonesjj:

Thanks all for your quick replies, I will just use the base map for now. Now I just need to figure out what I need to do to down load waypoints and interpet them and put them into the legend and get out and start geocaching, any hints or tips on doing this ?

Jeff

-------------------------

Happy trails,