Holistic Geocaching (a New Obsession)

Snoogans

Remember the "5 Degrees of Kevin Bacon" game? Any player in Hollywood can be tracked back to Kevin Bacon in 5 moves or less. It was all the rage on talk shows in the late 80's through the early 90's. I saw it done again just a few months ago.

Just to illustrate how small the world is and how much we all touch each other's lives within this sport.......

I have been marveling, for months, at the cachers whose paths have crossed mine in my slightly less than one year geocaching, through a cache, or event, or tb, or chance meeting. (Forums don't count.) Add 7 degrees of separation and the people that couldn't connect to me in some way are probably a minority.

Almost anyone could probably trace a connection to me in 7 moves or less. If you can't find it, I just bet that I, or someone else, can.

I have finds in 5 states. I have 171 finds, 164 tb captures, 19 hides, 108 tbs (only 2 active) and that's more than enough when I have crossed paths with cachers whose find counts are in 4 digits and even more well traveled.

For example: MissJenn

MissJenn has in her possession a TB called Don't Panic which was recently logged into my cache Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint planet. She got it from Blizzard, whom I met at an event in Austin. O.K. Really only 2 degrees at best. Now anyone who has crossed paths (Cache, TB, Event.) with MissJenn or Blizzard can ad another degree and so on until nearly everyone is possible at 7 degrees of separation.

Does anyone else have a headache?

Can anyone go beyond 7 degrees without finding a link to me?

It doesn't have to be just me either. Pick anyone and go into their profile and see where they have been, or the tbs they have captured, that can be traced back to you. It's a fun game.

Sn ;):( gans

We both touched the Timmy the Lobster Bug. Does that give me a Snoogans number of one?

I've recently moved my Bacon number up to 3. Since Mystic River was made. I'm related to Tom Atkins who was in Escape from New York, Halloween III, and got shot up in his house by a helicopter gunman in Lethal Weapon, and most recently played Wilson Lowen on Oz. But I digress, Anyway...

I'm related to Tom Atkins

Tom Atkins was in Bob Roberts (1992) with Tim Robbins

Tim Robbins was in Mystic River (2003) with Kevin Bacon

That sounds like a lot of work! How about this, what's your link to me? ;)

Nope! It took less than 10 minutes.

You have crossed pathes with a cacher called NevadaWolf who found a cache called Big Smokey Valley. That cache was hidden by Fossillady whom I met on my last trip home. :(;)

Sn ;);) gans

I'm game.. And you were right it was pretty easy.

You found the TB:

KKF2A Runes TB by Dekaner

I met Dekaner at the 2003 NYGO State Picnic in NY.

2 degrees of seperation through travel bugs

or

You found the cache:

Diablo Canyon Cache (in New Mexico) which was also found by Geocacher "The Browns" who also found

Downtown 2 which was also found by Geocacher "babrshpdru"

whom I met at the NYGO Meet and Greet (in Buffalo, NY)

3 degrees through caches

;)

I tried and I tried to get my head around this . . . it's too much like work.

:lol:

Yours was tooooo easy. It took less than a minute.

On 5/21/03 you grabbed a bug called Tiggy the Tiger. That bug eventually wound up in the hands of Lgops whom I met (the first time) at an event, on 10/25/03.

Sn :unsure::lol: gans

We both touched the Timmy the Lobster Bug. Does that give me a Snoogans number of one?

I've recently moved my Bacon number up to 3. Since Mystic River was made. I'm related to Tom Atkins who was in Escape from New York, Halloween III, and got shot up in his house by a helicopter gunman in Lethal Weapon, and most recently played Wilson Lowen on Oz. But I digress, Anyway...

How did I miss that?!

That means that, in this game, I have a Bacon number of 4! TOO EFFIN COOL!!!

Sn :lol::unsure: gans

I'd say this would work with anyone. Let's see.

Team GPSax found Texas-2-Colorado Connection, which was found by jeeperz1&2, who found the Brazil TB. That bug was placed in I-95 South Travel Bug Motel cache which was found by Trevelyan's R&R, who I met at This cache event.

See that. It works for just about everyone. :unsure:

That's the point that I wanted to make. Everyone touches everyone else in this game.

Is it 0 degrees if you've met the Snoogmeister in person? :blink:

Yup, unfortunately, if you have actually, physically "touched" Snoogans, you have a "zero" number....LOL.

(Chill, I just meant shake his hand for cryin' out loud....LOL).

I am proud to say I have a Snoogans number of zero in that event. My holistic approach to Geocaching would be to connect to Jeremy in the same manner as we are connecting to Snoogans...LOL.

Mac

:D:blink:<_<

Almost anyone could probably trace a connection to me in 7 moves or less.  If you can't find it, I just bet that I, or someone else, can.

Okay Snoogans, If I follow the math correctly, you and I are connected in two moves - twice at least.

We each found Good•Friday and Waves and Change Too!. Apparently you were in Pacific grove in July of 2003 and I was there in November of 2002.

Guess that makes me connected to Kevin Bacon in 5 moves!

We have met BruceS in person.

We have cached with Markwell - and in his car.

Small world.

George

I had the Dekaner's Lucky Penny TB

Snoogans had Deakner's KKF2A Runes TB.

Two degrees, yeah?

As for Kevin Bacon, I can do it entirely through film:

I was in a student film by Jonathan Appel.

Appel was Assistant to Paul Schaffer on Blues Brother 2000

Dan Aykroyd was in BB2K

Dan Aykroyd was in She's Having A Baby

with Kevin Bacon

Edited by Dinoprophet

OK - you people who think this exercise was easy are just showing off. It took me 6 hours to figure out how I am connected to the Snoog-Meister. As best as I can figure, here it is:

I have in my possession a TB called Don't Panic which was recently logged into Snoogans' cache Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint planet. I got it from Blizzard, whom Snoogans met at an event in Austin. O.K. Really only 2 degrees at best.

As you are south and west, I figured comparing caches and finders would be too much work, although I would be there is a conection there by a few degrees.

I just looked for a TB touched by the TB queen - Centris.

So you found Centris 100 (aka CBug) for your 100th bug find.

I have traded TBs with Centris a couple times.

G.

I have a snoogans number of 3, because I met Miss Jenn at the Red Rock and Rolls event. I even loaned an ax to her tent mate, but that is a longer story!

I have a Jeremy number of 2 because I met the Leprechauns at the same event and he took my TB Rocky the Rubber Chicken on a caching trip with Jeremy in WA (I think MntBike was on the same trip).

And I guess I have a Hydee number of 3 then because I am sure I can relate Jeremy to Hydee in only one move.

If you every met CCCooper Agency you number will be low for most people, they have been everywhere and met everyone!

Rock On!

Wow, my brain hurts. I give up on doing this!! LOL. I think I have 1 degree of a migrain!!!

You have a Snoogans number of 1.......Give up?

We both logged Yellow Jeep Fever. I'm sure that I (or someone else) can find another path with a few more degrees to it.

Sn <_<:D gans

As you are south and west, I figured comparing caches and finders would be too much work, although I would be there is a conection there by a few degrees.

I just looked for a TB touched by the TB queen - Centris.

So you found Centris 100 (aka CBug) for your 100th bug find.

I have traded TBs with Centris a couple times.

G.

Yes, TBs and Yellow Jeep Fever are the easiest links.

OK! I just picked a random name from the top of the UK forum:

NattyBooshka (Way cool handle IMO. Does it sound kinda suggestive to anyone else?...but I digress...)

NattyBooshka found a cache called In the Urn. A tb called Road Cyclist found it too. Fossillady grabbed that TB and I have met her. Only three degrees on a random search. :D I took about 5 minutes.

That sounds like a lot of work! How about this, what's your link to me?  :(

Nope! It took less than 10 minutes.

You have crossed pathes with a cacher called NevadaWolf who found a cache called Big Smokey Valley. That cache was hidden by Fossillady whom I met on my last trip home. :o:o

Sn :o:o gans

Closer.

You logged a virtual called "Cone Head"

Longwalker also logged that cache.

Longwalker is a geopal I've never met but have exchanged a lot of mail nate PM's with.

Interesting all in all.  How many degrees can a cold survive?  There is one going around I'd like to send down!

You guys make this look easy.

Alphabet rock locationless. :o:(

You logged Holy Moses by a short walk on Nov 28 03.

I logged Horned Toad Hideout by a short walk on April 5, 2003

Edited by rusty_tlc

Using only traditional caches, no TB's or Virtuals/locationless/Event, I came up with this connection. Not that I have anything against Virtuals or locationless of course.

I found Resurrection Aerie in Pennsylvania, which was found by

CoinCachers who found

Clear Creek Cache in Wyoming, which was found by

TheATeam - who found

Lynx Creek in Arizona, which was found by

Me & Bucky who found

Memories in Arizona, which was found by

Snoogans

Neat! :(

What about me? :(

Yellow Jeep counts? Oh well. We both did it.

To take a cue from Sir Cache-A-Lot, (Traditional Caches ONLY) You found a cache called Exercise Your Mind which was also found by Ooga Booga who found Rio Puerco Bridge which I found. Cool huh? That took all of 3 minutes. Great idea Sir Cache-A-Lot!

Sn :o:o gans

We both touched the Timmy the Lobster Bug.  Does that give me a Snoogans number of one?

I've recently moved my Bacon number up to 3.  Since Mystic River was made.  I'm related to Tom Atkins who was in Escape from New York, Halloween III, and got shot up in his house by a helicopter gunman in Lethal Weapon, and most recently played Wilson Lowen on Oz.  But I digress, Anyway...

Actually as Geocachers we all have the following separation from Kevin Bacon.

You = geocacher = Wil Wheaton = movie "She's Having A Baby" = Kevin Bacon

It's a stretch, I know, but it works. :(

Edited by Mr. 0
Me too, me too! Me play too.

I've logged a majority of your caches (9), and one of them inexplicably has my name in it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...09-14141160edef

And I know I've handled travel bugs that you've handled. I remember one in particular, with saliva on it.

<_<

LOL!

I was just about to post a link to Karma Hunter using your link through the Superman tb that KH captured.