Ploting On A Map

firemanjr

Delorme TopoQuads works well also. I downloaded all the nearby counties (SoCal) from NGS (and updated them!), then chopped them up into GPS memory sized pieces (350-450 BM's). Orange County (CA) ended up in 5 pieces. Depends on your county.... So - I can bring whole sections of counties on the Topo map, and / or GPS. Also ditto (but a bit more complex) for the BM NGS datasheets into my PDA. There is a thread (or several) here about how to do the datasheet to PDA thing. Several ways. More or less paperless now.

Here's a screen snapshot of Topo Quads with some BM's plotted. I took all the NGS data and built a file to imput (data residing on my PC to sort) into 2 files, horx.txt and vert.txt for my preferences.

Here is a sample of the .txt file

Lat, Lon, PID, Delome plotting options

N42 14 41,W083 45 49,AA5165,12,1,0

N42 14 46,W083 45 44,AA5170,12,1,0

N42 15 22,W083 46 46,AA5167,12,1,0

N42 15 23,W083 46 09,AA5166,12,1,0

N42 17 27,W083 47 48,AA5171,12,1,0

N42 18 02,W083 46 29,AA5173,12,1,0

N42 17 54,W083 45 57,AA5174,12,1,0

N42 17 33,W083 42 19,AA5179,12,1,0

N42 17 10,W083 42 10,AA5192,12,1,0

N42 19 16,W083 44 08,AA5178,12,1,0

N42 19 27,W083 42 29,AA5180,12,1,0

N42 19 21,W083 41 22,AA5181,12,1,0

N42 18 24,W083 41 12,AA5182,12,1,0

N42 16 28,W083 40 35,AA5184,12,1,0

N42 17 03,W083 40 33,AA5183,12,1,0

N42 15 23,W083 41 04,AA5185,12,1,0

N42 14 44,W083 40 59,AA5188,12,1,0

N42 13 47,W083 42 43,AA5189,12,1,0

N42 14 33,W083 44 21,AA5162,12,1,0

N42 14 14,W083 44 20,AA5163,12,1,0

N42 16 53,W083 44 59,AA5176,12,1,0

and that generates this

CC_map_PIDS.jpg

Edited by elcamino

Speaking of mapping software...does anyone know if Magellan has finally updated their MapSend software? The copy I have, version 1.00b copyright 2000, is missing some major highways that were built at least 2 years, and in some cases longer, before their copyright date. If anyone has a newer version, please, can you check for me: between N 30.1146 W96.0752 and N30.0236 W95.8348 is a new section of US Hwy 290, sort of a North Bypass, that was completed about 1996. Delorme Street Atlas 2003 includes this highway, as such:

us290.gif

However, MapSend Streets doesn't include the new northerly route, but the old US 290, which is now Business 290.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if an investment in the newer MapSend software is worth the cost. However, if anyone knows of another package (non-Megallan, perhaps?) that can upload maps to the Magellan Meridian GPS, I would definitely check that out...

is there a map program where you can place a way point or "push Pin" where the benchmarks are

You might find that GPS Visualizer does everything that you need.

I like this tool because it is all done online through your web browser, and that maps that it produces are clickable - click on one of the benchmarks shown on the map and it will take you to that benchmark's page at geocaching.com. Also, you can have it project the waypoints onto one of a number of different maps (e.g. street-level, topo, aerial photo).

JeremyA

I downloaded USAPhotoMap after reading this thread and I love it! It is fast, easy to use, and you can upload a GPX file created through the NGS site (and pulled into EasyGPS to make sure it is readable, it seems). The marks can be listed, the bugger is FAST at downloading and navigating, and you can see photos instantly.

Oh yeah, you can zoom in and out, move left and right, easily! The only thing it is missing is a way to mark a waypoint (benchmark) as found, etc, so I can keep track of my efforts.

I have played with GPSVisualizer and it has a lot of features, but what I want to do it play with an entire county's benchmarks, and they are simply too close together for GPSVisualizer to display well. I DO like how GPSVis... shows the name AND description, and how you can drag the names of the waypoints to better places before printing.

but what I want to do it play with an entire county's benchmarks

Maybe that changed in the last update, but the version of USAPhotoMap I have doesn't allow more the 1,000 points. There are more then 1,000 in my county.

It also doesn't seem to allow for catagories - for example loading multiple lists and giving each list it's own color.

Still, can't argue about what you get for the price. <_<

I like ExpertGPS software www.expertgps.com. It will upload and download waypoints, tracks and routes to most any popular GPS.

I generally will download an area by radius from NGS and save the data out as a .dat file and then run BMGPX to get a .GPX file which will directly upload to ExpertGPS which gives me my search points which I can see on aerial like the following:

ExpertGPS Aerial

Or I can see the 7.5 Minute, 1:100 or 1:250 scale quads with the same scale or benchmarks. The following is an example of a 7.5 Minute quad with the benches and the downloaded tracks from my GPS.

ExpertGPS Topo

I run GPX to HTML and then use Plucker to put the data sheets into my PDA.

A simple way to search benches. Right?

Edited by CallawayMT
I have played with GPSVisualizer and it has a lot of features, but what I want to do it play with an entire county's benchmarks, and they are simply too close together for GPSVisualizer to display well.

Can you think of any ways that GPS Visualizer's output could be modified so that a map with a LOT of points would be more usable? Because I'm open to suggestions (even if I don't always have time to implement all of them!).

Adam Schneider

http://adamschneider.net/

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Edited by adamschneider

Adam,

I can't think of anything easy to do with it offhand, as GPSVis is a web based program and that makes everything a bit more difficult. Zooming, moving around, etc., become a bit harder as the web interface gets in the way. I think it is a great program for setting up a few waypoints or following a track.

Bear in mind that I am only getting started with benchmarking, and have no interest (at the moment, but I think that might change) in geocaching. So basically I am still looking for what fits me. I am a pure paper operation, using USGS maps or printouts of them in a binder, and the NGS benchmark descriptions, to get to the marks.

I want to commend you on a great product though and think it has great use, just not in displaying an entire county's benchmarks on one screen.

Matt

I actually have no interest in geocaching either. :D I just try to fix GPS Visualizer so that it accommodates as many people in as many little subcultures as possible -- geocachers, benchmark hunters, glider pilots, windsurfers, disc golfers, or whatever.

I was trying to think, just now, of what an off-line application would be able to do that an SVG couldn't... I suppose the ability to zoom in while keeping the icons small would be helpful if you have a lot of them. And of course that's not really feasible for GPSV. But if you think of anything that might help, let me know.

Adam

http://adamschneider.net/

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Edited by adamschneider
Speaking of mapping software...does anyone know if Magellan has finally updated their MapSend software?  The copy I have, version 1.00b copyright 2000, is missing some major highways that were built at least 2 years, and in some cases longer, before their copyright date.  If anyone has a newer version, please, can you check for me: between  N 30.1146 W96.0752 and N30.0236 W95.8348 is a new section of US Hwy 290, sort of a North Bypass, that was completed about 1996.  Delorme Street Atlas 2003 includes this highway, as such:

However, MapSend Streets doesn't include the new northerly route, but the old US 290, which is now Business 290.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if an investment in the newer MapSend software is worth the cost.  However, if anyone knows of another package (non-Megallan, perhaps?) that can upload maps to the Magellan Meridian GPS, I would definitely check that out...

This question might have gotten better attention in the "software" forum.

It sounds like you have the original "Mapsend Streets" (being precise in product names helps a lot because many of these programs have similar and confusing names) and there are no map updates for it. Streets & Destinations and Topo have the same Tiger data. I just confirmed they, too, do not have the new stretch of 290 in that area.

Mapsend DirectRoute has a new set of road data. Since you didn't say which Magellan you have, we can't say if it's supported. (See my FAQ below.) It does have the new section and includes the interchanges and cloverleaves in beautiful detail.

No software other than by the GPS vendor will upload maps to your unit. (There are some hobbyist "make your own map" tools available, but they're really not on par...) This is as true for Garmin as it is for Magellan.

Hope this helps.

Thanks RobertLipe that was very helpful. And use your program GpsBabel after downloading the benchmark waypoints from the site and running it through GpsBabel to put them in several mapping programs. I prefer Delorme Street Atlas because you can put benchmarks in as one type icon and caches as another.

You're welcome.

And while you can't do it from the pointy clicky interface anyone willing to spend a few seconds doing typity stuff can customize the icons that GPSBabel writes for waypoints into programs (like Mapsource and Mapsend) via the 'deficon' argument. Programs (like Streets & Trips) that won't let you set the pushpin/icon type from the file can still be manipulated in bulk from within the application itself. (In S&T, you set pushpin properties for that pin group...)

Follow-up questions on this line of logic to the gpsbabel mailing list, please.

Yes and they have their distortions too.

But for what we can get now as apposed to just a few years ago is so much better.

I can remember when I spent hours in the field with the best aerials you could get and still be a little off due to the pieceing of the several photos together.

Now we have detailed satellite imagery we can look at....what a change in just a few years.