Gift Cards

Odwolda

Personally, we think gift cards are a great trade item. We've left some (WalMart is universal) and would like to find some also. We've also left scratch tickets for a state lottery (didn't have any big winners - but who knows when someone may do great) (and we only leave them locally so they won't be hard to redeem). Pre-paid telephone cards are something that everyone can use.

Guess it boils down to the basics - what would you like to get in a cache! That's what we try to leave.

I think gift cards are a great idea. However, there are dishonest cachers out there. I've been to a cache that was relatively new with only a few finds the proclaimed to have a few Starbucks gift cards in it. There were no gift cards in the cache when I got there.

(sigh)

I've left $10 gift cards for Gander Mountain, my favorite Sporting Goods store, as first finder prizes in 5 of my caches. They've been very well-received. It is rewarding to read the stories about how the card was spent. My favorite was a 12 year old boy who got to take a trip to the store with "HIS" money.

Gander Mountain....<snicker>......

Hey, I live in a city where there's no REI, no Cabela's, and it's illegal to buy beer by the six-pack, or in a grocery store, or on Sunday. Cut me a freakin' break, and go lick your Valentine's fur or something, you drenched feline, you!!!

Oh, boo hoo....I live in a city that has no gas station, no restaurant, no hardware store (egads!) and one tiny grocery store......wait....what's this got to do with gift cards in a cache? Never mind..... :unsure:

Sorry....just thought the name Gander Mountain was funny...... :lol: ....Gander..... :lol:

Did you know Sears gift cards have expiration dates? That's the pits!! I had a couple that I had given my dad for various gifts (father's day, Christmas, his birthday) that he never got to use, and when I took them to buy some new tools at Sears, half of them had expired and they wouldn't let me use them! And some of them were $50 and $100 cards that I had bought for him!!!! Apparently after two years, Sears keeps the money you gave them for that little piece of plastic if you don't use it!!!! :(

Did you know Sears gift cards have expiration dates?

Not in California! State law prohibits stores from imposing an expiration date on a gift certificate. :lol::lol:

That does it....I'm moving to California! :(

Ok, sorry to derail the thread with a rant.....as I mentioned earlier, I'd love to find gift cards to a few select home improvement stores......and as I don't plan to be going to California in the next two years, leave out the Sears cards! :unsure:

Actually, if you read the fine print on most gift cards it will say that after a certain amount of time of card inactivity, they'll start deducting like a dollar a month until there's nothing...

I've got a couple dozen Lowe's cards with like, 7 to 15 cents left on them.......It just seems so tacky to toss a dozen cards on the checkout counter to pay for a drill bit or screwdriver......

Hey, I live in a city where there's no REI, no Cabela's, and it's illegal to buy beer by the six-pack, or in a grocery store, or on Sunday. Cut me a freakin' break, and go lick your Valentine's fur or something, you drenched feline, you!!!

Colorado has no Cabela's (but there's one in Sidney, NE)

Colorado grocery stores can only carry beer with 3.2% alcoholic content

Colorado liquor stores carry real beer, but they're closed on Sundays

I hadn't heard of REI until after I moved to New Mexico, so I don't know if they have one or not.

It's a small world, eh?

I hadn't heard of REI until after I moved to New Mexico, so I don't know if they have one or not.

I can attest that Colorado has quite a few REI stores, including a flagship store in Denver. It has an indoor climbing mountain, and a cold room that goes to 15 below for testing out jackets and such.

Latitude: 39° 45' 23" N

Longitude: 105° 00' 33" W

Edited by Indiana Cojones

A gift card is usually for a movie at blockbuster or some other tangible and useful amount. Cash usually degenerates to loose change, which will get further decayed to penny, maybe a nickel.

If you put a buck in, they tend to get spent, I spend all the WG bills I find, (leave the logging to the WG fans.) I view these as OK trade items (with the usual proviso of trading fair). A gift card that is still good and good for something I buy, would be equally good.