The Official Travel Bug Obituary....

Go JayBee

My very first TB traveled 5.55 miles and then vanished :angry: Seriously, it was a 97 cent Matchbox car from Walmart! Why would someone pocket that? Looks like it went to a cache where TBs vanish. Someone nearby must be a TB klepto.

It's only been 10 days since it was dropped. You'll want to give it more time. If after a couple more weeks you don't see it logged you might want to send a friendly email to the two cachers who logged after your bug was dropped. Just a quick, Hey Howdy! Did you happen to see my bug when you were there? kinda thing.

Good Luck!

My very first TB traveled 5.55 miles and then vanished :rolleyes: Seriously, it was a 97 cent Matchbox car from Walmart! Why would someone pocket that? Looks like it went to a cache where TBs vanish. Someone nearby must be a TB klepto.

It's only been 10 days since it was dropped. You'll want to give it more time. If after a couple more weeks you don't see it logged you might want to send a friendly email to the two cachers who logged after your bug was dropped. Just a quick, Hey Howdy! Did you happen to see my bug when you were there? kinda thing.

Good Luck!

Yeah, I jumped the gun a bit and asked them both already. Neither had seen it in the cache. I don't get why people take them if they don't intend to log them.

I need to get it off my chest. :P Four out four TBs MIA. :lol:

The goal of the first was to go north, it went determinedly south and then was heard of no more.

Its replacement was ugly and disappeared from the first cache it was placed in.

Another did very well in Europe only to disappear as soon as it was returned to the UK.

The last was kept for 9 months and went AWOL from its next (alleged) location.

It's only an unpredictable game I know but what a shame people can't play it properly.

I have taken care to move on as many TBs as I could in keeping with their goals in the hope of acquiring some karma but to no avail.

We'll have a couple more tries but will only launch laminated photos in the hopes that these will have more success. Which is a shame because half the fun is picking up something a bit intertesting or appealing (which may have been my mistake).

That's my moaning out of the way. Thanks for listening. It's been cathartic and I can stop fretting now. ;)

It just seems like there has been a rash of TBs and coins that just go missing in the area and I was wondering why this would happen and if there was any thing that could be done.

Sorry for the late log on this topic, but I was perusing the obituary to see if this topic had been discussed.

This is a real problem in the Seattle area. I've launched 51 bugs and/or coins over the past two years and 17 of them are now listed as unknown location and a few others may very well be missing. Of the 17 that are missing, well over half of them disappeared from caches in Seattle before they had a chance to leave the area.

Many of the cachers I know in Seattle are no longer putting out trackables locally because there doesn't seem to be much point -- they last a cache or two and then are getting collected.

I put out seven gc's. All seven are unknown or mia. I once found a laminated picture of a gc. It had the front and back of the coin and it's mission listed and stated the coin was safe at home. If I ever buy anymore this is how I will do mine going forward. B)

Edited by je923

This maybe why some go missing:

http://protectsensitiveecosystems.blogspot.com/

That would explain why entire caches go missing, but not individual TBs.

The blog seems to be growing... To anyone's knowledge, is there a possiblility of legal action against them? After all it is someones personal property they are disturbing. There is a story of a person being arrested for stealing a cache in NoVAGO forums...

I'm now officially missing the first TB I put out. She was moving along nicely, and then ended up in a cache that, for some reason, got stripped of all the TBs. CO posted a note saying that all the trackables were missing from the cache, and he/she said they were going to wait just a bit to mark them as missing. Now my TB is in limbo, and I don't think I'll be hearing from her again. Bummer....

Edited by J The Goat

Ok, today I was threatened with suspension because of the content on my trackable page. A travel slug geocoin of ours went missing, the last holder of the coin was rude and unsympathetic and just stated they placed it last summer into a cache, yet the coin still shows to be in 'there hand's' So placed this info into trackable page that the coin was lost by this geocacher. Now getting threatening emails from a Sara a Community Relations Representative - that if I don't change the content that I could face suspension. I do not believe this proper -

Missing Travel Slug Ref #TB32ETK

Ok, today I was threatened with suspension because of the content on my trackable page. A travel slug geocoin of ours went missing, the last holder of the coin was rude and unsympathetic and just stated they placed it last summer into a cache, yet the coin still shows to be in 'there hand's' So placed this info into trackable page that the coin was lost by this geocacher. Now getting threatening emails from a Sara a Community Relations Representative - that if I don't change the content that I could face suspension. I do not believe this proper -

I've read your logs, and had you posted what you wrote in your log, in this forum, I would be giving you a time out. This is a game, it's just a Travel Bug and the nature of the beast is that they get hung up now and then. Ask anyone who owns one. I have some that are being held. I've had some come back after years. If it's lost, accidents happen. To anyone. Even the most careful people. If you pester someone, and write inflammatory logs like the ones you have written, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if you TB meets an unfavorable fate.

I have marked your coin missing, and should it be found, all someone has to do is log it to get it back in action.

I suggest that you heed the request, and edit the content of your travel bug page.

Happy Holidays.

Eartha

Groundspeak Volunteer

May need to just rephrase that a bit. "Last seen in the hands of ##### who claims to have placed it in GC$$$ but not properly logged as such." You can't prove they lost it, although they certainly didn't log it properly if it still reflects in their hands.

The link you gave to Travelbug Graveyard is closed and not accepted any new entries. Thats too bad. I thought it was a really cute idea for those of us who have lost our cherished TB to some selfish or unknowing person who decided to keep it for themselves instead of sharing it with the community. Maybe you could start a new graveyard.

The link you gave to Travelbug Graveyard is closed and not accepted any new entries. Thats too bad. I thought it was a really cute idea for those of us who have lost our cherished TB to some selfish or unknowing person who decided to keep it for themselves instead of sharing it with the community. Maybe you could start a new graveyard.

I don't think they're allowed any more, since it would have been a virtual/locationless. However, you can now just mark it as missing to get it out of the cache, which was kind of the point of the graveyards.

I currently have a tb out there, Team NVA Travelmeister, which was the first tb that my caching partners and I put out with a very specific mission, and it had been moved along towards its mission thanks to a few cachers in my area (which is greatly appreciated). It was picked up by a cacher on 11/07/10, and not been dropped since, and the cacher has not posted any cache visits since. I had emailed him nicely a few times since (most recently this evening) asking him to please place it in a cache, with no response yet.... I don't expect an immediate response to my emails, but I would have liked a response... Is there a way that they could be reminded that the tbs that have a mission be moved along....

Any help/suggestions would be helpful....

ChrisEMT1

I placed a tb in South Jersey on 11/21. On 1/3 it was logged into a cache in NY. The cacher put a note that they actually lost my tb while looking for the cache and it isn't really in the cache. This was my fist travel bug and I am hoping future tbs don't meet the same fate. Maybe someone will spot my friend and put it in the cache. We can only hope!!!!!

Ok so im new to the world of geo caching but i can see what most fail to relize if it has sentimental value or real value dont stick it in a cache. I mean realy would you keep you check book in your mail box so why send somthing out with any intention of getting it back. I look at this game any bug i send out or cash i place the same way i look at money spent in the stock market its gone. and all i can do is expect the worst and hope for the best. that being said dont put in any more than you can afford to throw away.

Ok so im new to the world of geo caching but i can see what most fail to relize if it has sentimental value or real value dont stick it in a cache. I mean realy would you keep you check book in your mail box so why send somthing out with any intention of getting it back. I look at this game any bug i send out or cash i place the same way i look at money spent in the stock market its gone. and all i can do is expect the worst and hope for the best. that being said dont put in any more than you can afford to throw away.

Couldn't agree more. Now, how to find ways to extend the journey, as best we can.

Hope for Coin Owners. - While searching for a puzzle cache in the park, i came across the "usual suspicious elements" - and retrieved the container that was a final stage of a multi that was archived 9 months ago. Among all the stuff in it, there was a coin Signal 2007 Christmas Geocoin (ref. TB22MKG). I didn't grab the coin since i did not realize the cache has been archived, but i did take it's number. While looking it up, discovered that the coin has been marked missing (even placed in the virtual cemetery cache prior to that). So tomorrow i'm heading back to the spot and gonna get that coin so i can move it someplace else. Sooo... there's hope for lost coins after all. B)

Edited by CluelessnLuV

Hope for those mourning TB's..a Resurrection Story. Many years ago(2003) my family picked up and then released a TB named Trek Deck Chicago Bug-Athon. Although all the TB's we pick up go on our watchlist Trek Deck quietly dropped off without our noticing. Then, in 2010 I got an email indicating that Trek Deck had been sighted. I didn't really remember him so I looked up his history. Trek Deck disappeared in 2004 and popped back up in Germany in 2010. There is no mention of where he was in the interim, but all in all that is irrelevant. He is now happily traveling through German and Czech caches and has been for over a year. Congrats to Trek Deck! And hope all the other hostage TB's out there...

Edited by SudsFamily

I must shamefully step up and admit to losing a TB, http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=19709408-329a-4fad-9a1f-221bebf0c92a Harriet Hare. Picked up the TB back in '04, when I found my last cache for awhile. Been some rocky years in between, several moves, two or three house-reorganizations/spring cleanings, and the birth of one (1) handful of a daughter who's gonna be a butt-kickin 'cacher one day, but I'm happy to say that the dry-spell has been broken and I found three 'caches today, two of them with my wife (the aforementioned rockiness...which has been somewhat smoothed out! Yay!) and 2-year-old. The Hare, however, I have no idea where she ended up in all this mess we call "Life". Is there any way to deactivate the TB and remove her from my possession on the site, since she is no longer physically in my possession?

I'm new to geocaching and went ahead a ordered some bugs. My very first real TB placed about month ago (standard dog tag style). It went ZERO miles and is now gone from its 1st cache. People finding the cache have already reported its TBs missing. Never made a single hop. Still-born. TB name "Kouka Kolohe."

How about shortest distance before going MIA? A whopping 11 miles for one of my geocoins! Probably more vulnerable to being 'souvenired' than a regular TB.

I'm new to geocaching and went ahead a ordered some bugs. My very first real TB placed about month ago (standard dog tag style). It went ZERO miles and is now gone from its 1st cache. People finding the cache have already reported its TBs missing. Never made a single hop. Still-born. TB name "Kouka Kolohe."

How about shortest distance before going MIA? A whopping 11 miles for one of my geocoins! Probably more vulnerable to being 'souvenired' than a regular TB.

It's only been 22 days, a little early to lose hope and mark it as missing. It might have been picked up by a traveler who is currently in China looking for a big enough cache to drop it in. Or who knows, Japan and now they are a little busy with other things.

Can you tell me anything about your bug? What kind of traveler did you attach the tag to? Any included goal/mission information? ect.

Here is a good story for those of you looking for your lost travel bugs. We released our first travel bug in October 2010. Someone picked it up and it was starting to take a very long time for them to pass it on. We eventually e-mailed the user who picked it up and he replied back with sad news. He said that he took it to New Mexico but lost it before he could place it into a cache. This was kinda sad to us but after about 5 months, the user e-mailed back saying that he had found it and took it to Barcelona, Spain!! The bug now has traveled to Brussels and Germany with over 5,000 miles logged!! :D :D :D So don't lose hope on your bugs!!

I can take one or two, but SEVEN? Come on! Why do people pick them up? Some of my coins I have spent a lot of money on and these people just keep them?

It is rather appalling. I really want to e-mail them and ask them to send them back to me. Is that proper etiquette.

One coin, brand new I bought (and put on the coin's) page for my husband for our 12th anniversary went 2 miles two years ago and gone! How is that even possible? What do the keepers DO with our bugs and coins?

I put so much energy into taking pic's of people's travelers and posting them and moving them on within two weeks, my real rule is a week, sometimes though my son will have a lot of baseball games one weekend and we can't go so I made the steadfast rule 14 days or I will go after work.

Called, cache-etiquette I suppose.

Wow, I do feel better now that I whined.

Yes, because YOU are a responsible cacher. I really am tired of the people who steal the coins I buy. I wish they all cared like you do.

Hope for Coin Owners. - While searching for a puzzle cache in the park, i came across the "usual suspicious elements" - and retrieved the container that was a final stage of a multi that was archived 9 months ago. Among all the stuff in it, there was a coin Signal 2007 Christmas Geocoin (ref. TB22MKG). I didn't grab the coin since i did not realize the cache has been archived, but i did take it's number. While looking it up, discovered that the coin has been marked missing (even placed in the virtual cemetery cache prior to that). So tomorrow i'm heading back to the spot and gonna get that coin so i can move it someplace else. Sooo... there's hope for lost coins after all. B)

I released my first TB while on a trip to Des Moines, IA (May 2010). Between the flooding and construction that happened after I placed her, I am pretty sure she drowned. I didn't choose a very good launch pad.

Now I will have 2 that you can only discover- one is the motorcycle that we sometimes use when we go caching, and the other is me wearing my pink jacket that I wear caching.

I had two TBs disappear...one, the Little Red Pedometer was stopped dead in it tracks October 2008 when the first person picked it up and was excited to put some mileage on it. It has exactly 0 mile on it and the geocacher has not done any geocaching since his post. I sent him several messages, and there is no answer. I hope he is ok. I am just sad the TB didn't get to do any traveling. I have other pedometers, but they are not red.

The second one, Rio's Geo[cache] travel bug represented my 2.5 lb dog and a picture of Rio, a golden lab, the subject of my Rio Geo[cache] series. My little guy was accidentally killed by a larger dog at a park, and amazingly, I was able to contact the person who had the TB and added a memory tag to the TB. Off it went to visit ski mountains and it was doing well until it got to Alaska in March 2010 and the TB hotel got muggled right after I asked for a pic of the TB. Rats!

I could try to use the replacement tags to restart the TB's but I keep hoping they'll show up somewhere.

Well sadly a TB that was dedicated to my deceased sister who died of ovarian cancer, after I dipped it into a few caches, made it one stop to an event and now has vanished.

Mary Beth's Ovarian Cancer Awareness Travel Bug

It was placed in the event 3 months or so ago and I have contacted all logged participants and some remember seeing it and a few discovered it but still no luck. The thing that disappoints me it was lost by seasoned cachers. I thought I lost a couple trackables while on vacation(I did find them) so I know it happens but man I was just hoping this would make it farther than that. I know that's the risk and I am thinking of putting out the copy but I am holding out for a bit to see if it turns up.

What I don't understand is why someone would want to keep them. I know I held onto a couple for longer than I probably should have but I still moved them on. It almost makes you not want to do it anymore.

Edited by Team_Searchgeo

Well sadly a TB that was dedicated to my deceased sister who died of ovarian cancer, after I dipped it into a few caches, made it one stop to an event and now has vanished.

Mary Beth's Ovarian Cancer Awareness Travel Bug

It was placed in the event 3 months or so ago and I have contacted all logged participants and some remember seeing it and a few discovered it but still no luck. The thing that disappoints me it was lost by seasoned cachers. I thought I lost a couple trackables while on vacation(I did find them) so I know it happens but man I was just hoping this would make it farther than that. I know that's the risk and I am thinking of putting out the copy but I am holding out for a bit to see if it turns up.

What I don't understand is why someone would want to keep them. I know I held onto a couple for longer than I probably should have but I still moved them on. It almost makes you not want to do it anymore.

UPDATE!!!

I am happy to say that after 6 month's this TB has been discovered in a cache called "Keys to Heaven" and no less on Easter Sunday. I guess this is a way for our sister to tell us she is doing fine!!! :D :D

I made a set of travel bugs and put the code in the design. It looked cool! Being a Ramones fan, I had one for each member (at first it was just Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee, Tommy and Marky)and I used the Ramones logo to design it, putting their individual picture on it and the travel bug code on it. I quickly learned that geocachers look for the tag and if they don't see it, they assume the bug is missing. Or maybe it looked so cool but not enough like a travel bug that people took it!

I put messages on the caches where they were for people to hang on to them and I'll send them the tag. I only recovered Dee Dee. The others I remade and put the tag on them.

The later ones I made with the tags (Richie and CJ) are going along pretty good. (Haven't released my remade ones yet)

So if you're clever with the design, make sure you add the tag!

So if you're clever with the design, make sure you add the tag!

This is a good point. Something that is repeated often in the forums, with people asking whether they can "make their own travel bug".

It's the dog tag that makes it identifiable as a travel bug. Maybe 'tis why the add-on is referred to as the 'traveler' (improperly referred to as the travel bug).

I was extremely saddened when the one and only TB, #TB38D ( Scetchy Etchy ) that I placed into the wild at the end of 2001 somehow disappeared off the grid at the end of 2010. Nine years and 13,000 miles 'traveled' for a 3x4" Etch-a-Sketch, and it still was working (noted one of it's last finders). That's pretty crazy. What really, REALLY irks me is that I hear that there are so many people out there that are worse than hoarders. People that feel the need to snag and KEEP people's objects that were intentionally placed (in good faith) out into the wild to travel.. the region, the continent, or the world as many cases are. So what if there are those people who feel I'm being over-dramatic. Some people throw lots of money to flood the system with dozens of trackables, just because! I didn't. I actually have one new bug-tag that I have been debating on putting out into the wild for some time.. Heck, I thought, if after 9 years my TB has been rock'n the continent, why couldn't another do the same?

Now that my TB seems to have been lost in the void for upwards of 6 months now, I am seriously loosing interest in sending out another. If people are going to ruin the fun of observing these unique objects as they travel the world by capturing them and keeping them for their private display case, then I can easily say that the 'FUN' in this 'game' is lost with the bug.

how about 0 miles :mad:

put out "mr spoon" into my cache

i kindly helped some new geochers find the cache

i even explaind to them what the tb was and how to log it

they took it its in there inventry but have not placed it :mad:

i have emaild them nicely asking them to.

1.place it in another cache

2.return it to my cache

3.post it to me

(didnt list it like that to them) :D

but they never replied to my email

think they just liked it and decided to keep it

wasnt that £6.00 well spent :P

teach me to be helpfull wont it :(

but on the otherside of the coin

another one of my tb went missing

i emailed every one who visited the cache after it was placed if they had seen it

every one said no

then i got one from a person who had said "no"

saying there daughter had taken it without them knowing and would place it into a cache when they could. :D

still waiting for them to kindly place it though :unsure:

I am sad to report the disappearance of Giant Phoenix. It was first released in October 2010. The first and only cacher that picked it up held it for 3 months until I contacted them. Then they kindly placed it in their own UNPUBLISHED cache, where it remained for another 3 months or so. (they have 4 finds and 2 caches owned) I got an email from the Reviewer that this cacher had been notified to release my TB and/or publish their cache, but they never did. The Reviewer gave me the coords for the unpublished cache. It was in a stupid public dog walk strip between 2 houses. No cache found. This cacher is notorious also for making up other caching names and stealing people's caches. (we suspect this based on what his cache pages look like, they are all similar). 2 or more (I have to go check) of the caches I own in this person's area have also gone missing since my e-mail and since I adopted those caches. :angry:

So, needless to say, I am still in the bitter stages of grief for this TB and my stolen caches!

Now, I need to go out and release the copy tag. Life must go on.

RIP Giant Phoenix, those fake 2 miles weren't much...but you will be remembered. :cry:

I would sadly like to announce the demise of my first travel bug - My girls http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3314531&page=2

I released it less than 2 months after having my second daughter and it's job was to teach them about the world. There have been many lovely cachers who helped it on it's way and also posted interesting information about the areas which it has visited. In it's short 3 months in circulation it had travelled to 3 different countries.

However, it's last cache has, apparently, been smashed and lost. The cache owner has been kind enough to email me with the sad news. It has, in it's death, taught my girls an important lesson about the human race - that there are some complete gits out there.

On the other hand, it has also taught them that there are far more lovely, friendly people than nasty gits and, in time - when the hurt has been soothed sightly - we shall release a My Girls 2 to see what other lessons there are to learn.

I took a really nice TB to the Geowoodstock VIII last year in Washington, and it is still sitting in an archived cache with 122 others! I've sent notes to the cache owner, posted notes on the cache page, as have dozens of others, but no response and no movement of the TBs. Does anyone know where these are? I have 3 of my other 5 TBs MIA, too, so I'm not going to purchase any more. I have one that made it to France (from California) and that one is exciting to watch.

Don't hit me for this....

... but I get the impression from visiting several caches just recently that Trackables get lost much more often in USA & Canada than in Europe. (personal assumption).

Two observations make me think this way:

1. all Trackables I lost went missing in the U.S. or Canada (and not in Europe where I am from)

2. Cache inventories seem to be much less up-to-date (plenty of caches I came accross, indicating various trackables but in reality: nothing in there)

Is it just the big number of cachers and caches in North America compared to the rest of the world? Or are users in this region just getting tired of moving trackables correctly (including the required logging)??

I have no clue what it is - it only makes me rather sad going from cache to cache and being disappointed all the time. I guess I will just have to live with it - but then I rather do not release any new trackables :(

If you can, you should remove the whole cache. Because it's archived, and the owner does not have time to maintain it, so I would remove it. Did the owner answer you about that yet?

The owner never replied, but a local reviewer did give the go-ahead to remove the container after his failed attempts to contact the CO. The reasoning was "to reduce the amount of geo-litter". Thanks!

Edited by CluelessnLuV

I'm posting this because a very well travelled Goldfish TB was sitting patiently in one of my caches on the North Wales coast, when the cache was muggled.

Here lies: Go Goldfish!

Owner: The Atkinsons

Released: Thursday, 25 November 2004

Origin: Michigan, United States

Distance Travelled: 36596 miles.

RIP Little Fishy -.-

Edited by Frosty Jack

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

Wow - that feels better!

I put a 'Stig' TB in a 5/5. It was almost a year until the next finder, and it was gone.

Bloody teenagers. A few of them died near GZ a few years ago. Can't have been them then.

Should have read 'Snoogans' thread first.

PS. serious about the deaths... thought the TB would be safe.

I recently took a trip to Salt Lake City. While there, a fellow cacher collected Three Bugs for to take back to Connecticut with me. I am not POSITIVE, but I am reasonably sure, that all three bugs and a "where's george" dollar were confiscated or lost during a routine luggage search by the TSA. I contacted all three bug owners and offered replacements. Two of the three declined, and the third sent me a copy of his original bug and tag to keep moving. It might be a good idea if transporting bugs to keep them in your carry-on luggage.

My wife and I remeber packing the bugs. When we arrived home, we noticed that th bag we had packed thm in contained a slip of paper notifying us the bag had been searched. After unpacking all of our bags, we never found the ziploc bag that contained the three bugs. My guess is that either the bugs looked suspicious to the TSA screeners and they kept them (unlikley since we weren't contacted), or they were removed and dropped or placed in someone else's luggage.

--N1NUG

Okay, I know I'm reading this really long after the post. But imagine your surprise when you return home from a flight and open your luggage to find a baggie with TBs. Especially if you don't even know what geocaching is.