The Official Travel Bug Obituary....

Go JayBee

I posted this message on another thread earlier today mainly because I didn't know that this one was accepting new entries - I guess I'm not exactly sure what "pinning" a topic entails! Anyway, and with my humblest apologies to those of you who might have seen it before, I offer this personal tale of woe to you as a final and lasting tribute to my one and only TB ever, Roy.

You see, when I started geocaching three years ago and first learned about TBs, I was very excited. I decided that I'd buy the biggest and cutest TB I could and send it out on a journey of wonder and discovery. And so, for $17 (or was it $13?) and the cost of a TB tag, "Roy the Globetrotting Golden Spider Monkey" was born. His mission was to "swing from cache to cache" around the world! So, I wrapped the TB tag around his neck (there was no mission statement attached), took a couple of pics, and dropped him into my first puzzle cache that I'd dubbed Jungle Fever! Come to think of it now, Roy was selected as my first TB primarily because he kinda fit the jungle theme of the cache. Anyway, he was immediately picked up by the FTFers and I imagined that this would be the start of an amazing adventure. Unfortunately, poor Roy lasted less than two weeks in the wild. He made it to a total of two new caches before swinging out of sight forever. I still harbor a few suspicions about what happened to him but he probably fell victim to the excessive cuteness factor (see pics below). How could anyone resist such an expression?! Poor Roy, I still mourn his loss. :angry:

8c1a8914-ee25-4e94-9288-f7efde7c4533.jpg

cd0bdbce-608e-405a-994f-eb574f92532d.jpg

I don't know if you noticed this...well, your story tugged at my strings enough I went to see the cache an TB to get to know Roy a little better. Did you happen to catch that he was spotted in a cache this October? Maybe you should contact the discoverer...Roy may be still out there!

Thanks for your sympathy! :D Yes, I was initially excited, though a bit sceptical, when I received word in my mailbox that Roy had somehow reappeared at an event in October. However, it turns out that folks were exchanging lists of TBs and tracking numbers (or something like that ..... the point of such an activity escapes me) and Roy's TB number might have been included due to a typographic error on one of the lists. At least, the one person I contacted couldn't remember seeing a monkey (although it didn't sound as if he saw any of the TBs at all). I've retained one of the logs on Roy's TB page instead of deleting it just for the sake of documentation.

looks like my Super Steelers Bug Tag (TB27AT0) has gone missing from the AGT cache it has gone in. It was fairly new, activated it in June, moved three times and sat in the AGT cache, which apparently has gone missing (the bugs, not the cache). Didn't even make it to any of it's destinations. Oddly enough, i have four other bugs, and excpet for one missing it's traveler (which is in a race) none have gone missing (although one of them is extremely huge. It'll take a towtruck to lose it)

dang,

I didn't realize that tb loss was so high.

I just bought a bunch and now i'm thinking, i may only send out one.

i have picked up 3 in my travels and moved them. i also was not aware until last week that you could just "discover" one if you couldn't move it. i think i read that in this thread or one of the others.

i am guilty of not looking to closely. last one i dropped a tb in already had 2 others and i didnt look for them in the cache and didnt know they were there untill i logged the visit.

i like to go out at lunch and i just pick one and go, so ost times i never get to see if there is supposed to be a tb in the cache or not. i guess it would pay off to know so that i could at least make an effort to look and record and or move it.

live and learn. i'm learnin'.

Well I think we're prepared to say the obituary of a Dear MJ - Myrtle Yertle Junior

She made a grand entrance into the World April 30 and disappeard June 29th travelling 52.6 km before she disapeared - she is now appearing on local milk cartoons as her parents are searching out for her in all possible turtle areas.

She was only seen by 2 cachers and had a goal of having her picture taken with 50 people getting hugs - she managed to get one of them and now sits in the Unknown Cache (does anyone know where that cache is I'd love to see it and visit the land of misfit TB's)

It's still unclear if she is bein a rebellious teenager and has fallen in with the wrong crowd or has met the ultimate end of cute TB's and fallen into a little one's stuffy collection to show up at a garage sale in 3 years from now

We wish her speed and that one day she may find her way back as her brother Anaco and fellow coin in Roger's memory do.. (oh yes we also have another TB and coin missing - but overall our odds are good..)

7619e8fa-ad20-4ca2-87e1-5e7b630b78da.jpg

So in order to rectify this and balance it out we released No Caches for me a short while ago.. hoping he doesn't go missing - he's hard to lose in a glove compartment

5fb95f19-282d-4780-b624-f9f9cc5c889f.jpg

My first bug "A Pubber At Hart" made it 1173 miles and 18 cachers before being picked up by someone who had just joined the day before and has never logged any caches, not even the one they found my bug in. They last logged into the web site 11 days after they joined. They've not responded to any emails at all, even though I was offering to pay postage.

I think I'll send out the copy and hope it does better.

Edited by DconBlueZ

Oh my goodness!! After reading all these horror stories, I'm almost afraid to send my little ones off on their missions now. :) I bought 10 and am in the process of building a TB Hotel and installing it near Bush Airport in Houston Texas. They all have their little Misson Statement cards attached. I know that that was one of the problems I had when finding TB's, wanting to participate in moving them along, but not knowing the mission. So, hopefully some of 'em will make it. Should get it online by next weekend. Wish me luck! :o

Oh my goodness!! After reading all these horror stories, I'm almost afraid to send my little ones off on their missions now. :) I bought 10 and am in the process of building a TB Hotel and installing it near Bush Airport in Houston Texas. They all have their little Misson Statement cards attached. I know that that was one of the problems I had when finding TB's, wanting to participate in moving them along, but not knowing the mission. So, hopefully some of 'em will make it. Should get it online by next weekend. Wish me luck! :o

Good luck!

I'm sure they'll do fine. :D

Looking for help. Our TB called "Bushwackrz" Hiking Smurf # DV2RYX was picked up by a cacher back on 9/18/08. We have tried numberous times to contact this cacher and the person they were with that fateful day. One said they would fwd email to the other when we asked for help to retrieve our TB. The cacher who has TB doesn't answer our request to place in cache, give to another cacher or send back to us. Does anyone know how we can get our TB back?

Looking for help. Our TB called "Bushwackrz" Hiking Smurf # xxxxxx was picked up by a cacher back on 9/18/08. We have tried numberous times to contact this cacher and the person they were with that fateful day. One said they would fwd email to the other when we asked for help to retrieve our TB. The cacher who has TB doesn't answer our request to place in cache, give to another cacher or send back to us. Does anyone know how we can get our TB back?

Just so you know, you don't want to post your tracking number anywhere on line. There's a reference number on the bug page you can use instead: "Use TB215W8 to reference this item".

Unfortunately you've done really all you can do. Give it some time and see if they finally get around to doing some caching.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm not mourning a specific TB, but all the TB's that have gone missing. It seems to me there are more missing TB's than ever before. I've seen so many caches that have a listing of 3-4 bugs in them and when you check on the cache there are no bugs. I have been going back and looking at the bugs history and find that they haven't been logged for 6 months or longer. It's disappointing, I love finding bugs and moving them along.

I'm not mourning a specific TB, but all the TB's that have gone missing. It seems to me there are more missing TB's than ever before. I've seen so many caches that have a listing of 3-4 bugs in them and when you check on the cache there are no bugs. I have been going back and looking at the bugs history and find that they haven't been logged for 6 months or longer. It's disappointing, I love finding bugs and moving them along.

Yep, it's the accumulation of missing bugs that should have been cleared out by now. Verifying bugs should be part of cache maintenance.

I found a TB here in the Netherlands shortly before I was going to the US, and decided to take it along. It wanted to go to Australia but had only been travelling in the Netherlands for 18 months, so I thought it might have a better shot from the US. I travelled with a friend who didn't know about geocaching yet but is now addicted (passed me by 5 caches already). We found a cache in a lovely park where the TB fitted in (just) and that was nice and full with little toys. The cache had been there since mid 2007, though it was a busy park it seemed the cache was pretty safe. We put it back carefully. No visit for 2 weeks and on Feb 15 someone logged it as being completely empty, suffered a muggle attack. I feel so bad, I left it there and now it's gone...

What are the odds of a TB gone missing like this to surface again?

Edited by WinnieThePoohNL

Well, here's some good news for a change! My Purple Bear TB, which I had posted an obituary for when it fell off the planet has come back! He had been dropped in a cache in August, 2007, discovered that December, then discovered later that month at a meet and greet. In September, someone posted that it had been left at the meet and greet and never turned up, so I marked it missing, posted an obituary and considered it gone. This week, a log popped up, turns out it was in the bottom of a swag bag! My bear is back from the dead!

Is there some way that a cache owner can clear out obviously MIA TBs from their cache site page? I've sent messages to the MIA TBs owners, but they have not acted to deactivate the missing bugs.

Apparantly you can move it to an unknown location:

The Travel Bug is no longer in [a cache]. How do I remove it?

Occasionally a Travel Bug is picked up out of a cache but for whatever reason the person who picked it up does not log the find. If this happens, users visiting the cache will often let you know that the Travel Bug is no longer there.

As the Travel Bug owner, you have the ability to move your Travel Bug to an unknown location until it is found again. Visit your Travel Bug's listing on Geocaching.com and choose the option to move your Travel Bug to an unknown location. This will not affect your overall travels and distance calculation.

Cache owners also have the ability to move the travel bug listed on their cache page to an unknown location.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/faq.aspx

I put a geocoin in a brand new cache I had set up, the first person to go to it is a local cacher that while I don't know, I do know she has logged into geocaching.com. She hasn't found any caches since she found the ones here.

She wrote in her log that she took it but hasn't logged it out of the cache for 3 months! Since December! She's done the same with another local cacher that I know, and she's sent her several emails about taking her bugs since then.

I think she lost them and is too much of a cat to admit it.

I will keep hounding her, Cayman is small, she cannot escape!!!

Is there some way that a cache owner can clear out obviously MIA TBs from their cache site page? I've sent messages to the MIA TBs owners, but they have not acted to deactivate the missing bugs.

Apparantly you can move it to an unknown location:

The Travel Bug is no longer in [a cache]. How do I remove it?

Occasionally a Travel Bug is picked up out of a cache but for whatever reason the person who picked it up does not log the find. If this happens, users visiting the cache will often let you know that the Travel Bug is no longer there.

As the Travel Bug owner, you have the ability to move your Travel Bug to an unknown location until it is found again. Visit your Travel Bug's listing on Geocaching.com and choose the option to move your Travel Bug to an unknown location. This will not affect your overall travels and distance calculation.

Cache owners also have the ability to move the travel bug listed on their cache page to an unknown location.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/faq.aspx

Yes, all you have to do is go to the TB page, and look at the pulldown just below the trackable item option on the right. If you own the bug or own the cache it is in, there will be an option to "Mark item missing". Once you do that, it will no longer show up on your cache page.

Our Mercury TB made it 410 miles and then was picked up 6 months ago by an individual who has released 10 map@syst geocoins. I have politely emailed him to move the bug and even offered to pay the postage to ship the bug back to me, but no response no nothing. He was on the site today so it's not like he's not doing it anymore. Yes I am whining and BPMing. I want my TB back!!!!! :)

Allright.....calm down now, take a DEEEEEP breath.....the "Little Tommy Monkey TB" was your first, I know it's rough.

For anyone who's had the mis-fortune of sending out that "cute" little plushy with a tag around it's neck, and a note saying "DisneyLand or Bust".......we really feel for you.

Follw this link:The TravelBug Graveyard and give your bug a burial at sea.

Why did this happen?, What did I do wrong?....I should have listened to Snoogans. (But that's another thread)-------------->Snoogan's TB Longevity Clinic

May it Rest In Peace,

JayBee

It's bad enough that there are muggles AND cachers that would take items from our caches, but when cachers make a cache log entry that they took a travel bug, then do not log the travel bug and never place it again. That infuriates us. We have sent three emails to a caching girl duo without the courtesy of a reply. There should be a way to ban the likes of these.

The only consolation is the positive log entries from ethical and moral cachers. Makes our efforts worth while.

AmMa&PaPa

We have sent three emails to a caching girl duo without the courtesy of a reply.

I know. If people would at least admit that they made a mistake or accidentally lost the bug it would be easier to accept.

I went through every cache log they've posted since taking your bug. They were pretty good at mentioning which bug they took and when they dropped it off. Nothing about your bugged being dropped however.

When the bug isn't logged out it usually means they picked it, moved it to another cache and forgot to write down the tracking number. Unfortunately I didn't see any subsequent logs mentioning your TB. Fortuantely there is still a chance will eventually resurface.

I have lost almost every single one of my TBs to date. I have to admit that I have lost some my self that didn't belong to me. Well I didn't lose them personally but I put them in my two of my hotels and they got wiped out by a flood. I made sure to tether it down so it won't get lost again, but I also didn't beat around the bush with the owners of the TBs. I did get one of my hotels returned and the TBs were fine and they got re-released but the owner didn't believe that it got wiped out in the flood, they thought that I had lost it. :rolleyes: I still miss my bugs. "Get a way from my van foo' " I miss you. Come home soon.

:blink: Poor wittle AeroTraveler (TB TBHA4W); he was a brave little soul.; made it all the way to 247th Airborne in MN before being picked up in August '05 and then never logged as dropped off somewhere else! :anitongue:

I logged him as "missing". As soon as I can, I'll "resurrect" him via his "cousin" (the duplicate tag) and give him the same Mission.

Mike_B

Edited by Mike_B

It's bad enough that there are muggles AND cachers that would take items from our caches, but when cachers make a cache log entry that they took a travel bug, then do not log the travel bug and never place it again. That infuriates us. We have sent three emails to a caching girl duo without the courtesy of a reply. There should be a way to ban the likes of these.

The only consolation is the positive log entries from ethical and moral cachers. Makes our efforts worth while.

AmMa&PaPa

AmMa&PaPa

AmMa&PaPa

You are so right! Our Elizabeth Swann Travel Bug (Pirates of the Caribbean), made it all the way from Florida to Casper, Wy. It was picked up by prisbebe in Aug 2008. I have just sent a 2nd email asking for the return of the captive Elizabeth. It gets very disheartening to have Tbs and caches stolen, lost and torn up.

please forgive the duplicates quotes. first time user.

I know I'm mostly a newbie cacher, but honestly, how hard is it to at least send an email or post a note when you are going to be holding onto something longer than anticipated? I recently ended up grabbing a geocoin from a cache with the intent to move it along soon, but I decided to plan a trip soon after that, and waited about a month to release the coin in a much better cache farther away. Solution: posted a note on the GC page letting the owners know. They were appreciative and excited that their coin would be traveling to the Grand Canyon instead of some podunk cache here in the big city!

OK, so I am going to whine a little now.

My hubby and I released our first travel bugs simultaneously about three weeks ago. We were so excited about their potential and took great care in getting them ready for their travels.

Since then, one is being held hostage and the other has disappeared into thin air. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Say a prayer for the safe return of our bugs.

OK, so I am going to whine a little now.

My hubby and I released our first travel bugs simultaneously about three weeks ago. We were so excited about their potential and took great care in getting them ready for their travels.

Since then, one is being held hostage and the other has disappeared into thin air. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Say a prayer for the safe return of our bugs.

If you don't mind a few comments.

3 weeks is not being held hostage. Give it plenty of time and the bug will move on eventually. I prefer to release'em and forget'em. Your bug is not going to move every two weeks so you'll save yourself a lot of angst if you lower your expectations. Sorry to say it, but it's true. I'm happy if I hear from a bug every three months.

You don't not want to post photos showing the tracking number. Bad things happen.

Is the missing bug that butterfly? That thing is really cool. I wonder if maybe that might have had something to do with it going missing? I certainly hope it turns up.

One of the best things you can do for your bug is read Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic

Happy Caching!

We went on vacation last week from WI to KY. Went caching just before the trip to pick up a couple of bugs to move them. Of the 4 caches that listed bugs in them, only one cache actually had a bug. There were supposed to be seven bugs across the four caches.

Got to KY and dropped off the bug and went looking for caches with bugs to make the return trip, of the ten or so caches we found none had the bugs that were listed in them.

So, what's the story? Are bugs disappearing at this high a rate? It was discouraging to come back to WI without a bug in tow.

BTW, the Land Between The Lakes area is a great geocaching spot, beautiful trails, lots of big ammo box caches and some interesting stuff to see. Highly recommended.

Edited by zoeythedog

I came up with what i thought was a neat idea for a TB. It was the traveling cook book TB. It was a note book that cachers could take home and write down their favorite recipe or copy someone else's to try. After the note was filled i was going to publish all of them on a website to share. But unfortunately the cook book was retrieved by someone and never placed again :) They haven't logged into Groundspeak for about a year either, they only had a few caches so i assume they lost interest in the sport. All I can do is hope that one day when they are cleaning or packing they come across my little cook book and decided to place it in one last cache, or even better place it and regain a love for geocaching.

Shoes

I came up with what i thought was a neat idea for a TB. It was the traveling cook book TB. It was a note book that cachers could take home and write down their favorite recipe or copy someone else's to try. After the note was filled i was going to publish all of them on a website to share. But unfortunately the cook book was retrieved by someone and never placed again :) They haven't logged into Groundspeak for about a year either, they only had a few caches so i assume they lost interest in the sport. All I can do is hope that one day when they are cleaning or packing they come across my little cook book and decided to place it in one last cache, or even better place it and regain a love for geocaching.

Shoes

That's a really good idea for a TB.

I had a similar experience with one I sent out which was called "Note Book (Just do it!)" where the idea was for each cacher to write a note about their favourite book, or one that they really wanted to read. It only managed 314 miles before disappearing. I'm just waiting a few more months before sending out a copy of the original.

MrsB

We are new cachers and have our second bug here. The first one we took a picture of as requested at the Jefferson Memorial (neat picture)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=36119

I'll place the bug we have in a couple days. Like many write, I can't understand why someone would ruin these hi-tech roaming gnomes, I think they are cool and hope to release ours in Alaska. Good ideas on how to make them non-collectables, specially the "the big friggin drill bit".

What really puzzles me is why do the people actually log them, then steal them? ;)

MY GUESS IS THAT THEY ARE TOO FR*&^%ING GREEDY - THEY WANT CREDIT FOR FINDING THE TB AND THEN THEY TURN AROUND AND KEEP IT ALSO. BUNCH OF LOSERS.

Here are some things to keep in mind when posting:

1. Forum courtesy: Please treat Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, fellow community members, and guests on these boards with courtesy and respect. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they should be treated fairly.

2. Foul language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family-friendly. All forum posts must conform to a family-friendly standard and contributors must act accordingly.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

4. Sock puppet accounts are not permitted. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

5. Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that veer off topic may be closed by a moderator.

6. Private discussions: Sometimes, a discussion thread strays off into a friendly dialogue or a heated debate among a very small number of users. For these exchanges, we ask that you please use the Private Message feature that is provided through the Groundspeak forums, or the Geocaching.com e-mail system. Public forum posts should be reserved for matters of interest to the general geocaching community.

7. Spam: Posting the same message, or an unsolicited commercial message, to one or many topics or boards is considered spam. Duplicate messages may be deleted or consolidated by our moderators. Please do your best to post new topics to the appropriate forum board. Moderators can take action when a thread should be moved to a more appropriate section.

8. Commerciality and postings with a larger agenda: It is Groundspeak's desire to maintain forums for the purpose of promoting the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. As a result, we intend to limit forum discussions that promote a commercial, social, political or charitable agenda insofar as the agenda does not reasonably relate to the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. Therefore, threads or posts perceived to have been made with the intent of promoting any of the above agendas will not be permitted. Please note that our Volunteer Forum Moderators are authorized to exercise their discretion in providing some reasonable latitude for forum discussion postings relating to local events and issues in local discussion forums. Notwithstanding the above, Groundspeak reserves the right to include or permit the inclusion of limited commercial content in this forum, in its sole discretion.

9. We generally do not allow surveys to be conducted using this forum. Special requests for permission to survey the forum members should be sent to Groundspeak prior to publicizing the survey.

10. Personal classified advertising is permitted in the ‘GPS Garage Sale’ forum and, per Geocoin Forum Guidelines, in the Geocoin Discussions forum. Please note that Groundspeak is not involved in any related transactions.

11. Any messages you post in these discussion forums will remain available to the public for as long as this discussion board is online. Once you have posted your message, it will stay online. Please post carefully and with due consideration to the content of your post. We will not edit the content you wrote unless it does not conform to the forum guidelines. In the unlikely even that we do edit your post and you do not like the changes, we can delete the message at your request.

12. If someone has posted copyrighted material or otherwise illegal material, please notify Groundspeak so that we may take appropriate action.

13. Abuse of this forum will be not be tolerated.

Failure to follow the Groundspeak Forum Guidelines can result in a temporary loss of posting rights, so please keep this in mind when posting in the forums.

Remember, not every Trackable that is being held on to for a long period of time is stolen.

Lost.

Misplaced, not quite lost.

Muggled cache.

Newbie who doesn't know how to log it.

Forgot.

Keep forgetting.

Doesn't cache that often, but still wants to enjoy Travel Bugs.

Didn't fit in any caches around, and not getting your emails.

They died.

They got sick.

They got hurt.

Bad communicator, doesn't have time to let you know, but they'll get around to it when they do.

There are a lot of other reasons for missing trackables. Sometimes people hold them for months. You can't have grand expectations for your trackables, you can only hope. Some have come back after years.

Just found out that my travel bug Red Ted was placed in cache "Cascade Angon" and has just diasappeared under a avalanche of rocks and disapeared 200m down a vavine looks like we wont be seeing him again.

My first lost bug feel so sad.

At least you have a grand adventure for its ending. Are there any pictures of the avalanche to add to the TB page? You could resurrect a copy, with the copy tag, and send that out for more adventures.

We are new cachers and have our second bug here. The first one we took a picture of as requested at the Jefferson Memorial (neat picture)

I'll place the bug we have in a couple days. Like many write, I can't understand why someone would ruin these hi-tech roaming gnomes, I think they are cool and hope to release ours in Alaska. Good ideas on how to make them non-collectables, specially the "the big friggin drill bit".

What really puzzles me is why do the people actually log them, then steal them? <_<

MY GUESS IS THAT THEY ARE TOO FR*&^%ING GREEDY - THEY WANT CREDIT FOR FINDING THE TB AND THEN THEY TURN AROUND AND KEEP IT ALSO. BUNCH OF LOSERS.

My apologies - I was having a bad day as was in the process of discovering that a travel bug has gone into no-man's-land.

What really puzzles me is why do the people actually log them, then steal them? <_<

My apologies - I was having a bad day as was in the process of discovering that a travel bug has gone into no-man's-land.

Beachwalker was a good bug,

he wasn't much of a load to lug,

perhaps that's why he was taken,

and if I'm not mistaken,

maybe he'll turn up someday,

perhaps buried in the hay,

if I could see him just one more day,

I would finally be able to lay,

back down to sleep.

I will keep,

his memory.

Goodbye...