Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cadence

Foretrex...

I put this on the GPS Units and software, but here I have in mind a different use.

Nice Sneak Peek on Garmin's site for their wristwatch GPS.

007's companion

2.75 ounces, 15 hour use time.

George N. was mentioning that he wanted a GPSr for his model rocketry. It's WAAS enabled and about 1/3 the size of a Geko.

For those involved in R/C Airplanes and boats...nice.

The unit will connect to a TinyTrak - I'm sure someone's thought of that already, but what an awesome and compact APRS rig you could make!

This doesn't have a basemap, but looks to me like a really nice unit for many projects I've heard mentioned on this board.

Had to share!

Todd - K7PKT

I'm not sure how this could be considered TinyTrak's evil twin. From the specs, it doesn't appear capable of being interfaced with a TNC or anything else in order to be used for APRS, which is what TinyTrak is designed for.

My apologies for using a turn of phrase that wasn't accurate.

This unit is spec'd to connect to a computer to be able to download software updates, waypoints etc. I'm guessing that it probably would be able to send NMEA data to something like the Tiny Trak-if not, then adaptable very readily. It's size along with the TinyTrak would make for a very small APRS package to connect to your radio.

It's about the same size, 3.3 inches wide by 1.7 tall with an LCD.

It was more of a physical description, as twins are normally compared.

Todd - K7PKT

The problem seems to be that the PC interface cable is built into the AC charger. Unless they come out with a standalone PC interface cable, or one with a DC (cigarette lighter) charger, it would still not be very useful for APRS.

Okay, how's this: we use the PC interface cable that's available in the Foretrex Accessories Page and find out what each of the pins do.

In the past I've been able to make other adapters --computer to TNC and Radio to TNC cables, I don't see how this is different. Did I miss something in the specs that said this was not able to be used for the purpose I was suggesting? It looks to be able to be interfaced, and in their Sneak Peek it looks to be similar in design to the Forerunner, but with the GPSr "...navigation features found in Garmin's popular Geko 201 unit." - which is able to send it's data to a PC in NMEA format.(Please see the PDF manual for the GEKO 201 - here and search on 'NMEA')

Please note, this is not the Forerunner, it's the Foretrex - kindof a half-breed of the Forerunner and Geko - probably didn't like the idea of a "ForeGeko".

I'm looking for a very compact APRS setup usable for biking, hiking, mountain climbing, etc. that doesn't add a lot of weight to to the pack. I'm seeing this as a 2.75 oz (Maybe less without wriststrap) addition to a TinyTrak and a TH-F6A radio.

Interested in others views on this. Granted, the Foretrex isn't even available yet, so we're going on a Supposition Trip based on their Sneak Peek of it.

Todd - K7PKT

Edited by Cadence

Well this all seems do-able if the computer connector is in a location such that you can still wear the unit and have it plugged in.

The big supprise here is the PC cable is actually reasonable priced! Why can't they do that for all of their units?

If a small footprint for APRS is really what you are after one could go much smaller (and cheaper) than this unit. Why pay for the bulk and extra features you dont want/wont use? A simple GPS receiver with NMEA output is surprisingly small and cheap. We have used receivers in conjunction with a VX-1R, tiny track, and battery pack whos size might surprise you.

Velda - N5VEL

Velda,

Sounds like what I'm interested in, what are the specifics of the receiver and NMEA sending unit? Websites, products, etc? I'm familiar with the VX-1R.

The Foretrex just looked like it was functional as a stand alone unit as well as a usable part of a bigger construct.

I am in no way intending to re-invent the wheel, I'm interested in what others have used.

Todd - K7PKT

I built a Tinytrak about a year ago, and I have the interface cable for my VX-1R, however I lacked a GPS to use it with, so it's not been programmed yet. I got turned down for membership on the TinyTrak yahoo mailing list... so I'm curious what you did to solve the problem of getting power to the Tiny Trak.

Also, it would be nice if the Foretrex had the same pinout as the Forerunner. Is Garmin usually good about things like that?

for good combination with the tinytrack, have a look at http://www.gpskit.nl/ (info in English with pics) have 3 working now put it all together with a handy in a pelicanbox and can even use swimming :o also fun for JOTA.

another nice page for combinations with a mobile phone can be found at http://www.kh-gps.de/trackbox.htm and http://www.geocities.com/gps2sms/

something else maybe interesting for HAMs to follow ships at sea by the AIS system http://www.pintek.net/index.html or http://www.sealinks.net/World.htm and in the southern North Sea at http://ais.qps.nl/InfluxPortal/DesktopDefault.aspx

please enjoy

Kees PE1RNL :D