Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic

Snoogans

I find many TB are mistakenly logged as discovered instead of retrieved when taken to move on. They then stay on the cache inventory, so when dropped the y can not be logged into the new cache. Meanwhile the TB is found missing from the original cache and eventually logged as lost.

If you try to alter the discovered log you cannot because an action is associated with the original log.

It needs to be made clear if you log a TB as discovered it should be left in the cache or logged as retrieved. I think it his should be made clearer in the logging drop down

One important thing that was not mentioned yet (I know, your getting to it) is: Don't take pictures showing the TB's Serial Number....and then post them up to your bug's page......DUMB, real DUMB.

Was about to upload a photo that showed the code for my first TB. Glad I read this. All of the comments in this are great. My travel bug is about to achieve its goal! :D

This is all great advice. While I've known about geocaching for several years I didn't really get into it until this summer. That being said I ended up spending way too much money on GS buying cache containers and other things but for every $25 spent you got a free TB...so now I have 6 or 8 to send out into the world. I think I will try as many of these suggestions as possible.

I love finding TB and have grabbed, discovered and moved (dropped) a bunch. I've been trying to not hold on to anyone more than 2 to 3 weeks but there is one that I have grown really attached to and will follow it on its journey so I'm hoping to find a cache that I think will give it a good chance of someone finding it and doing the right thing.

I just recently bought my first travel bugs and will definitely be following all of the suggestions here to make sure they last as long as they can!

I do have one other idea, but I'm not sure how good of a longevity strategy it is. What if I included a picture of my small brothers/cousins releasing the bug both on the TB page and with the TB itself (this one would be laminated, of course)? Would this make someone think twice about taking it for themselves if they see a picture of the children they'll be taking it away from? I know a guilt trip is kind of a cheap trick, but I think it would kind of be a cute idea regardless so people could see where the TB started its life.

Thoughts?

I just recently bought my first travel bugs and will definitely be following all of the suggestions here to make sure they last as long as they can!

I do have one other idea, but I'm not sure how good of a longevity strategy it is. What if I included a picture of my small brothers/cousins releasing the bug both on the TB page and with the TB itself (this one would be laminated, of course)? Would this make someone think twice about taking it for themselves if they see a picture of the children they'll be taking it away from? I know a guilt trip is kind of a cheap trick, but I think it would kind of be a cute idea regardless so people could see where the TB started its life.

Thoughts?

There are many strange motives for taking TBs. But your idea is worth a shot! Go for it. On the TB page, take and post a close-up picture or two of the TB with its attachment (with no tracking numbers in view), so finders may more easily identify it in the wilds.

How likely is it that people would help this TB achieve its goal?

Not even going to address the question. Just gonna say --

Remember this: Once you release it, it is out of your hands and control. (period)

There are lots of people (geocachers) out there. All have differing ideas; goals; mindsets; objectives; desires; etc.

Many goals have been reached... many goals have never been attained.

Truth of the matter is, some TB's never get beyond the first placement, they just turn into "smoke".

How likely is it that people would help this TB achieve its goal?

Not even going to address the question. Just gonna say --

Remember this: Once you release it, it is out of your hands and control. (period)

There are lots of people (geocachers) out there. All have differing ideas; goals; mindsets; objectives; desires; etc.

Many goals have been reached... many goals have never been attained.

Truth of the matter is, some TB's never get beyond the first placement, they just turn into "smoke".

The reason I am asking this question is because the goal is rather unusual, and I am wondering if I should simplify it or keep it the way it is.

Edited by CertifiedCasher

The reason I am asking this question is because the goal is rather unusual, and I am wondering if I should simplify it or keep it the way it is.

Yeah... I looked at the TB page. I would say that you are asking an awful lot from many people who care little beyond "getting a score" from logging a TB.

It used to be that moving a TB towards a requested goal was the thing to do.

In my opinion (take it for what it's worth) many, if not most, folks today -- even if they bother with TB's -- do so because it adds another point to their "score" -- nothing more.

Sure, somebody very well could take it to heart and do some of those things... but I certainly wouldn't count on it. For one thing, over the last few years I find very, very, very few bother with photos much anymore.

You can ask or request... just sayin' though, don't expect....!

can you explain your rule #4 a little more, whats a TB Goal sheet, or a TB Passport?

I'm not the OP, but what he was referring to is attaching something more than just the TB tag to the traveler. Some folks attach a laminated card or sheet with explicit instructions as to its "goal" and or instructions on how to log the TB properly on gc dot com. Sometimes this is referred to as a "passport" or "goal sheet". I myself attach a Travel Bug Buddy along with TB tag to all my travel bugs. It does the same thing except state the goal of the TB (which none of mine have anyway).

Edited by TheAuthorityFigures

can you explain your rule #4 a little more, whats a TB Goal sheet, or a TB Passport?

I'm not the OP, but what he was referring to is attaching something more than just the TB tag to the traveler. Some folks attach a laminated card or sheet with explicit instructions as to its "goal" and or instructions on how to log the TB properly on gc dot com. Sometimes this is referred to as a "passport" or "goal sheet". I myself attach a Travel Bug Buddy along with TB tag to all my travel bugs. It does the same thing except state the goal of the TB (which none of mine have anyway).

This.

It happens often that while caching abroad people find a TB but have no means of checking its mission (roaming fees for Internet connections are absurd). They take the TB, come back home and read "I don't want to leave <insert country>".

On 10/15/2007 at 2:03 PM, PNWWizard said:

For longevity I've had fun with Shoot This Dog TB. It's a plain, fabric dog collar with a TB attached. I've also attached a tag asking finders to take a photo (shoot this dog) of the collar on their dog. It's travelled almost 13,000 miles! And the photos are a riot.

I was just thinking about sending out a dog-related TB when I saw your post.  Hadn't thought of using a collar.  That's a neat idea.

On 10/10/2009 at 4:06 AM, Vater_Araignee said:

TB longevity strategy #(fill it in yerself) SCRAP THE PAPER INSTRUCTIONS! No laminating doesn't help it only delays the inevitable. Shrinky Dink printer sheets are the key.

Print them in reverse.

Cut them out.

Shrink them in the oven.

Coat the backsides with super glue.

Attach to bug.

You can get 10 dog tag size hard plastic instruction tags from one sheet.

Heck, wile your at it, make copies of the metal tags and send out the copies.

Great idea!  I have a bunch of Shrinky Dink sheets left over from Girl Scout camp years (several times we made Shrinky Dink swaps).

On 11/12/2010 at 10:42 AM, Daz & Mel said:

We have just released a couple of bugs, im hoping they will do well, and they also contain puzzles for cachers to solve...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2788009 - this is my bug currently up a mountain in teneriffe

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2787985 - This is Mels bug, along the same theme... doing the rounds in the uk.

Im hopin they will do well.

Daz & Mel

We have a Wordlock, the combination of which we've long forgotten.  I've tried every word I can think of that's spellable on there; no luck so far.  Wondering if it was randomly set.  Maybe I'll send it out as a TB.

Just have to say that I appreciate all the advice and comments here. It helped me develop plans ... and adapt my expectations.

A happy ending: TB85EWW .

I've no doubt that I was exceedingly lucky that it was picked up by very experienced cachers, but I made sure to stay in touch ... and they didn't seem to be irritated by that. :-)  I continue that practice with the others I've released, with good results. A simple thank you note for picking up and moving along is all I do ... and I get very cordial replies.

Great thread!  I just ordered some tags, so this thread is very helpful for me! 

In the original posting it talked about a TB Passport, but the link was broken?

Also....is there a cheaper way to buy TB? I am open to "letting them go" and be chill about their outcome. However, it would be easier if the tags were cheaper. Just curious if there is a way to buy in bulk or some other cheaper way. I searched buy in bulk on the "shopping section" of this website, but they were still about five bucks a piece.

1 hour ago, BugLuv said:

Great thread!  I just ordered some tags, so this thread is very helpful for me! 

In the original posting it talked about a TB Passport, but the link was broken?

Also....is there a cheaper way to buy TB? I am open to "letting them go" and be chill about their outcome. However, it would be easier if the tags were cheaper. Just curious if there is a way to buy in bulk or some other cheaper way. I searched buy in bulk on the "shopping section" of this website, but they were still about five bucks a piece.

How many TBs do you intend to buy at once?  Buy eight in the shop, and they're discounted to $4.25 each.  Buy sixteen, and get free shipping (on orders over $35).  I bought "Road Trip Crew" tags pretty cheap on closeout after that promotion was over.  You have to shop around to find great deals, which may be a "puking pumpkin" tag that nobody wanted, and it didn't turn out to look quite right anyway.  That's why it's so cheap. ;)

The most common thing that people mean when they want a "TB Passport" is the TB information, its description and goal.  On your TB's page, click "Print Info Page" in the menu to the right.  Just before you print it, you may see a printer menu where you can re-size that page as you like.

If you're crafty, you could make a small "Passport book" with whatever information you think would be good inside.  Anything made of paper tends to pretty much be destroyed in caches.  "Waterproof paper" doesn't shred, but gets a layer of black slime mold. And all the printing fades and runs. But maybe it's good for a while.  :)

Edited by kunarion
I got my arm got stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store and couldn’t get out.

Edited 6 hours ago by kunarion 
I got my arm got stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store and couldn’t get out.

LOL!!  So funny!

I don't have an exact number. I just thought I might as well release a bunch, since they seem to get lost/stolen/not picked up. I have some cool, free ideas I want to try for the hitchhikers. I will check out the clearance rack. : ) 

4 hours ago, BugLuv said:

Edited 6 hours ago by kunarion 

LOL!!  So funny!

:D

I saw "Reason for edit" and thought... why am I leaving that blank?!  So I typed a reason.  :P

I had an interesting conversation with someone who took one of my TBs. I asked if they were going to drop it in a cache soon as it was in a race. They replied I did, I put it in a munzee cache. After further discussion I was able to determine that they put it in a light pole that a munzee sticker was on. So using this logic TBs may be put in non "geocaching" caches by mistake.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Evil Tom said:

...So using this logic TBs may be put in non "geocaching" caches by mistake.

Yep.  A friend of ours found two in a cache of a sorta-competing site a few years ago. 

It was a container in the woods, just not one of this site's containers. 

Hopefully a cacher just-for-the-heck-of-it lifts that and fixes things for you.    :)

Question (asking here since it's a longevity discussion rather than starting a new thread): is there any particular reason TB's have "log me at geocaching.com" on them instead of "log me at geocaching.com/track/"?

I ask because if I think like a new player or a random muggle who has found a TB, I might try and do the right thing and go look at geocaching.com - however, looking at the front page of the site, there is nothing there that tells a NP or RM what to actually do with the TB.

But if they go to geocaching.com/track/ then right there in the middle of the page (mobile or PC) is a "enter code here" box. Plus if they're good enough to scroll down a bit,  there is a lot of information there about what TB's are and how they work.

I can imagine the system that the website uses getting upgraded, updated and changed around. I can see the main front page being changed and updated (I assume that back in the day it used to have a "log your TB here" button, but it's been removed), but I assume that no matter how many times the site is changed and updated, they can keep geocaching.com/track/ as the landing page for TB logging. My original training was a systems analyst, and one of the ruling guides is "make it easy for people to do what you want them to do" (just look at the wording on surveys when they have a bias and want a specific answer). Can't do much about all the TB's already out there, but that seems like a simple change that might increase the longevity of people's TB's. Or return the "log TB here" button on the front page. Or both. :D

6 hours ago, Unit473L said:

Question (asking here since it's a longevity discussion rather than starting a new thread): is there any particular reason TB's have "log me at geocaching.com" on them instead of "log me at geocaching.com/track/"?

I ask because if I think like a new player or a random muggle who has found a TB, I might try and do the right thing and go look at geocaching.com - however, looking at the front page of the site, there is nothing there that tells a NP or RM what to actually do with the TB.

We were wondering that once as well, and figured it may simply be that adding "/track" means all manufacturers of trackables would have to have their dies remade.  

- Then we lost interest.  :)

I'd like to see that too.   

Someone finding a box full of trackables at a storage unit auction or something needs a place to see what to do with them, though "learn about geocaching" is on that page.     :)

"Found a trackable, and new to the hobby ?" with a  GO TO button much better than four separate examples of shop geocaching when the person is new or unfamiliar with the hobby ...

The people who own all those "missing" trackables would probably be happy about that too. 

If I wanted to be cynical, I could say that it's deliberate so that people buy more TB's rather than watching existing ones in circulation! :laughing:

I was quite surprised by your earlier comment of people putting TB's in other companies caches ... though it would makes sense from the point of view of somebody who didn't know any better. For those types of people, I don't think it would matter what was written on the TB (or the cache), they'd still put it in the wrong spot.

Hi....I realize that this thread is kind of old, but I wanted to see if a few ideas of mine would work? They're not all original by a long shot. I love the idea of trackables moving around and connecting to other people, so I'd rather go for longevity over creativity. I found a TB in my first cache, and moved it the next day because I was afraid I would lose it! I made sure to log it properly each time, or at least I'm pretty sure I did it properly. 

Idea 1: Plain, non fancy, original rubber ducks. Set up with holes through both wings and also one in the back. The loop for the tag would go through one of the wings and the back. This would make it incapable of functioning as a rubber duck, and hopefully the original, non unique design plus the holes would make it undesirable for anybody's collection. Attached using the metal cable stuff that you guys were using.

Idea 2:

Locks with no keys. Not combination locks, padlocks that I"ve just kept or thrown away the keys to. This would, in theory, make it unremovable, and I wouldn't have to worry about the cable. Not fancy looking padlocks, just the normal ones.

Idea 3: 

Cheap, regular sized metal spoon with a hole through the spoon part. Attached with the metal cable. I suppose a drawback of this one is size.

Some ideas for goals: Do these seem to complicated? If I printed them clearly on a laminated sheet of paper attached to the same loop as the tag, would they hopefully achieve the goals?

-Visit all 50 states

-Get to California (Starting on east coast)

-Get to another country

The others would probably just be free to roam. 

image.png

21 minutes ago, black_cat1 said:

Idea 1: Plain, non fancy, original rubber ducks. Set up with holes through both wings and also one in the back. The loop for the tag would go through one of the wings and the back. This would make it incapable of functioning as a rubber duck, and hopefully the original, non unique design plus the holes would make it undesirable for anybody's collection. Attached using the metal cable stuff that you guys were using.

That's what I've tried for a couple of years.  I bought a bunch of steel keychain cables on ebay.  The ends screw together, and I put a drop of thread locker on the threads to permanently seal them.  The cable goes through a hole or hollow part of the attachment.

I don't use laminated paper anymore, because it fails at some point (usually in a few months).  But at least it's a good start.  I just include a slip of paper with the whole thing in a zip-lock bag.  Remember that when the "Goal" is complete, you probably want to change it.

I have tried putting some text inside acrylic photo keychains (you often need to buy a lot to get a deal on them, because just one is expensive).  They also tend to fail, because water gets inside.

Untitled-cc1.jpg

3 minutes ago, kunarion said:

That's what I've tried for a couple of years.  I bought a bunch of steel keychain cables on ebay.  The ends screw together, and I put a drop of thread locker on the threads to permanently seal them.  The cable goes through a hole or hollow part of the attachment.

I don't use laminated paper anymore, because it fails at some point (usually in a few months).  But at least it's a good start.  I just include a slip of paper with the whole thing in a zip-lock bag.  Remember that when the "Goal" is complete, you probably want to change it.

I have tried putting some text inside acrylic photo keychains (you often need to buy a lot to get a deal on them, because just one is expensive).  They also tend to fail, because water gets inside.

Untitled-cc1.jpg

Those steel keychain things are a good idea- much less intimidating than going to a hardware store and figuring out what to buy. What do you mean by 'thread locker' ?
How do your rubber ducks fare out in the field? Are they working?

55 minutes ago, black_cat1 said:

What do you mean by 'thread locker' ?
How do your rubber ducks fare out in the field? Are they working?

Thread locker (Lock-Tite) is a kind of hardware glue that fuses bold threads so they don't move.  It also comes in semi-permanent for bolts that need to be removed at times.  Hardware stores can direct you.

Rubber ducks and most Chinese rubber toys rot and get stained and lose their shape over time.  I guess it gives them character! :P

I hardly ever get logs for any of my TBs (or Geocoins! :anicute:), and it's even more rare if a photo is included in a log.  I think mine generally held together.  The trick is to not use the included chain, it's too cheap!

This thread is good for learning all about what makes a TB endure.  Be sure your attachment is not "too amazingly cool".  I once attached a "How To Train Your Dragon" plastic dragon toy to a TB (go figure), and it was an early dragon.  It immediately went out of production.  One new in a box now easily sold for $150 to a collector, so even one with a hole drilled in it and in very used condition was reasonably valuable.  Geocoins, too, they have a limited run and certain designs get more and more desirable.  Yeah, watch out for that. B)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, kunarion said:

Thread locker (Lock-Tite) is a kind of hardware glue that fuses bold threads so they don't move. 

It also comes in semi-permanent for bolts that need to be removed at times. 

Red n Blue are in most Harley owners tool kit, or they'll find parts "remove" themselves time-to-time with vibration.    :D

3 hours ago, kunarion said:

Thread locker (Lock-Tite) is a kind of hardware glue that fuses bold threads so they don't move.  It also comes in semi-permanent for bolts that need to be removed at times.  Hardware stores can direct you.

Rubber ducks and most Chinese rubber toys rot and get stained and lose their shape over time.  I guess it gives them character! :P

I hardly ever get logs for any of my TBs (or Geocoins! :anicute:), and it's even more rare if a photo is included in a log.  I think mine generally held together.  The trick is to not use the included chain, it's too cheap!

This thread is good for learning all about what makes a TB endure.  Be sure your attachment is not "too amazingly cool".  I once attached a "How To Train Your Dragon" plastic dragon toy to a TB (go figure), and it was an early dragon.  It immediately went out of production.  One new in a box now easily sold for $150 to a collector, so even one with a hole drilled in it and in very used condition was reasonably valuable.  Geocoins, too, they have a limited run and certain designs get more and more desirable.  Yeah, watch out for that. B)

Oh, ok, thanks!! I'll make sure to look for that.

I didn't know that about rubber ducks! I guess it does give them character :lol: 

Oh no! That really bites about the dragon figurine. Did it travel around for a bit before going missing?

I think I'd only get geocoins if I wanted to collect them- they're too fancy to just send out, IMO.

I have read the thread through, and I'm super glad I did! I was originally planning to use the chains to attach tags to plushes. Basically everything that we're told NOT to do. The only thing I can't do is put it in a really off grid cache, or a premium members only cache.