Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic

Snoogans

I don't think that how you connect your TB to your "item" will make much difference on if it "Dies" on you or not.

The reason I say this. Is any means you use to connect your item with your TB can still be CUT. Not that I ever have, or would. But I do have to the tools myself to easily cut through just about anything you might want to use. Cables, Chains, ties, etc. If my heavy duty cutters don't work, their is always my dremel tool.

I don't, I never have & I never will "Steal" a persons travel bugs. Just not right. Even so, if you feel better about it. Then by all means do what you think is best. :rolleyes:

Personally I think the biggest deterrent to keeping it from getting "STOLEN" is the cuteness/ugly factor. The more your TB item is "undesireable" to others the less likely it will be to get stolen. On the other hand though, make it to ugly & unapealing it may just sit there and nobody will want to touch it! Then it won't complete it's mission. I know one TB I picked up and moved along simply because I loved the TB & had somewhat of a connection to it. Thus I wanted to become a part of it's life and move it along to complete it's goal. This also leads to the concept of having a TB that won't apeal to younger kids as much. IF it doesn't apeal to them or look like it could be a toy to them. Then maybe it won't end up in their hands to get lost by them or even remain in their toy collection.

Personalizing your TB will usually make it more undesireable for a person to keep. Unless of course if you happen to be a national &/or international celebrity of some sort.

I also think that a good number just plain get lost. Not really stolen but actually lost. Regretably I have to say that I lost a couple of other peoples TB's for a few weeks. I eventually found them and got them on their way a month or two later. (Found them under my car seat, stuck between the plasic cover & the Bolt that secures the seat to the car frame)

The other big thing is size. On more than one occasion that I was going to drop off a travel bug, only to find that it was a micro, or sometimes a small that was to small for the TB I had at the time. (When I geocache, I don't pay attention to cache size I love the surpise more when I find it).

So I would have to agree with others. TB size makes a huge difference. If it's to big, then it makes it harder to place in a cache when your looking for a place to put it. Make a TB to small and it becomes a 1000 times easier for it to get lost.

The mission can be to complicated as well. I don't think this has much to do with your TB getting stolen or lost. But can have a big impact on the little guy completing his mission. I came across a TB that had a mission to get somewhere I was going to take it to where he wanted to go. Only problem. There wasn't any caches placed where he wanted to go yet. So he couldn't complete his mission because their were no caches for him to be placed in when he completed his mission. Go figure!

Also in regards to your mission. Make it a fun one to complete, or for someone to become a part of the mission, so they can have fun in it's existance will make it more appealing to a geocacher & for them to get it placed as soon as is possible.

For what it was worth.... (probably not much LOL) Those are my thoughts on the subject.

TGC

I don't think that how you connect your TB to your "item" will make much difference on if it "Dies" on you or not.

The reason I say this. Is any means you use to connect your item with your TB can still be CUT.

The point of a strong cable is to help ensure your traveler isn't separated from the tag through normal wear and tear of traveling.

I just thought of this when I was making a suggestion in the iPhone app forum.

One of the OTHER reasons a Trackable can go missing is because many are now using the iPhone to geocache.

There are many times I am traveling and I will pick up a Trackable at one cache & drop it off in another cache during my travels. Because I can log my geocaches found/DNF'd from my iPhone, & do in about 99% of the time. I know there have been many many times that I have FORGOTTEN to log a trackable because I was unable to log it from my iPhone app. I had to wait till I got to a computer with internet access.

When I do remember, or write it down so I will remember. There are times it has been a couple of weeks before I do get a chance to log it because I haven't been able to get to a computer to log the Trackable.

Once Groundspeak adds the feature to log trackables from the iPhone app, then this issue will be resolved.

Just thought I would bring up that thought as well. Now that I know the limitations. I try my best to not "Forget" about the TB's I have picked up & dropped off before I can get access to a computer.

TGC

I recently got 4 travel bug dog tags and went looking for something to attach them to. I've had a few too cute/valuable TB's stolen quickly so I decided to shoot for functionality over aesthetics this time around. I read through this thread for longevity ideas and then went looking. After a couple of considerations, I decided on this:

815f7440-5c9f-455c-8128-a90be1cd22a0.jpg

Bent Nose Garden Valve

It is simple, but not dull. It is different, but not uncommon.

I think I've covered most of the main points:

- It passed the drop test with flying colors.

- Its collectable value is next to none.

- Its monetary value is less that $6. Anyone who happens to want a Bent Nose Garden Valve can get one easily at their local home improvement store.

- It fits nicely in the palm of your hand so no issues with size as far as I can tell.

- The goal is plain and simple: To travel.

- It's designed to be in the outdoors and can easily withstand the elements. Sun/Rain/Sleet/Hail/Snow.....No problem!

- The TB is not 'cute', but I have already had someone say it is 'unique'.

- The valve can be opened and closed, therefor making it interactive, fun, and educational.

- The TB Tag is connected via a durable keyring. The only way it would be seperated is if some thief purposely sabotages it.

- The tracking number is not visible in the online photo.

- And lastly, I think the word 'nose' in the name gives it a human quality for character.

What do ya think?

<snipped>

- Its monetary value is less that $6. Anyone who happens to want a Bent Nose Garden Valve can get one easily at their local home improvement store.

- It fits nicely in the palm of your hand so no issues with size as far as I can tell.

- It's designed to be in the outdoors and can easily withstand the elements. Sun/Rain/Sleet/Hail/Snow.....No problem!

- The valve can be opened and closed, therefor making it interactive, fun, and educational.

- The TB Tag is connected via a durable keyring. The only way it would be seperated is if some thief purposely sabotages it.

- And lastly, I think the word 'nose' in the name gives it a human quality for character.

What do ya think?

I rather like it, but one thing that may not have gotten considered is weight. The garden valve will damage shells, plastic toys, and other less sturdy swag/TB items when they are tossed together in a cache container. Also, when I am packing for a hike, and my TB-taking choices are yours and a lightweight TB, guess which one is going to get carried? I'll watch and see how many geocachers are willing to plop it into a suitcase for world travel! :anicute: Maybe the forum exposure will help Bent Nose to fare well in the wild.

I'm going to be sending out my first trackable soon (waiting on shipment to arrive). It's an Atom Boy/Astroboy toy that I picked up at a local used capsule shop here in Japan. I thought I'd have to follow Snoogans' law and drill a hole into it to get the chain through, until I got it out of it's package and noticed something strange...the arms and head are detachable! I had already planned on crazy gluing them in place, but I didn't realize that they were completely unattached. My new plan is to name the TB "Armless Atomu" and loop the chain through the holes where his arms used to be and not bother gluing the arms in place. It's still cute-ish but nice and ruined as well. Hopefully it survives long enough to see a decent amount of Japan. I wonder if I should keep his arms or put them in random caches as very bizarre swag. :o

You folks have had some great ideas and I can't wait to start using some of them. I love sending out TB's and I do make them really nice ones. I wish I would have known about using the cable system instead of the little chain that comes with them. So far I have not had any problems with them. Only time will tell. Thanks again for the help.

<snipped>

What do ya think?

I rather like it, but one thing that may not have gotten considered is weight. The garden valve will damage shells, plastic toys, and other less sturdy swag/TB items when they are tossed together in a cache container. Also, when I am packing for a hike, and my TB-taking choices are yours and a lightweight TB, guess which one is going to get carried? I'll watch and see how many geocachers are willing to plop it into a suitcase for world travel! :) Maybe the forum exposure will help Bent Nose to fare well in the wild.

I considered weight but didn't let the weight weigh on my decision. I doubt it would damage the already trashy swag that is typically in caches. Taking it hiking is optional. You may not choose to take it hiking, but considering that the intention is for it to last a long time, it's bound to find someone who would take it hiking (like me) and also get some world travel. If someone passes it up because of it's weight or whatever, I'm okay with that. I've got about 50 more years of life left to watch it move.

I considered weight but didn't let the weight weigh on my decision.

I think it's fine. I guess if a few ounces is an issue those people have to pick and choose which bugs they can move.

Would have to agree. When I hiked in Iowa, 14 extra oz. in the pack would not have been an issue.

I considered weight but didn't let the weight weigh on my decision.

I think it's fine. I guess if a few ounces is an issue those people have to pick and choose which bugs they can move.

Would have to agree. When I hiked in Iowa, 14 extra oz. in the pack would not have been an issue.

Biking across Iowa, then it would.

;) So what do you do when someone has had your TB for over 6 months? One person has one of mine and I keep sending them messages to please place it back out there. It is my daughters and she is a little upset that it has went 50 miles then you got it 6 months ago. They are active finding and placing caches but they refuse to answer messages or to just place the tb back out in a cache. I even said let me know if you lost it not a big deal to me I will just get a new one and set it lose. Nothing not even a a go BLANK yourself.

This really upsets me in the fact that people are this petty.

Edited by cpttango30

;) So what do you do when someone has had your TB for over 6 months? One person has one of mine and I keep sending them messages to please place it back out there. It is my daughters and she is a little upset that it has went 50 miles then you got it 6 months ago. They are active finding and placing caches but they refuse to answer messages or to just place the tb back out in a cache. I even said let me know if you lost it not a big deal to me I will just get a new one and set it lose. Nothing not even a a go BLANK yourself.

Perhaps you didn't read the full title

Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic, whine about your lost TBs elsewhere!

Try here: The Official Travel Bug Obituary...., Do your whining here.........

Perhaps you didn't read the full title

Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic, whine about your lost TBs elsewhere!

Try here: The Official Travel Bug Obituary...., Do your whining here.........

OOPS Sorry about that. I do think I get the award for the shortest distance moved in almost a year with 50 miles.....

OOPS Sorry about that. I do think I get the award for the shortest distance moved in almost a year with 50 miles.....

Sorry if I seem to be picking on you, some have gone missing from their first cache, never to be logged, and a couple missing on the same day they were placed.

I just want to mention how important it is to have a something with your coin or tag that says where the TB wants to go.

I picked up a TB while I was on vacation, I didn't have internet access on vacation and when I got home realized that I had taken the TB 500 miles away from its goal.

I felt really bad and put it back out in circulation, but if it had had a tag or something with its goal on it I wouldn't have picked it up.

Another thing - TB owners that respond when you leave a note that you've found their TB - makes me want to move their TB much faster. I just sent one to Germany as a surprise for one TB owner. Hopefully the person I sent it to puts it into a cache soon. :mad:

I read this thread the other night and not only learned quite a bit, but had a few good laughs too :unsure:

I have a handful of TB's-- a few coins that I thought looked pretty, but have managed to misplace after 3 moves--oh well, they were bound to be lost eventually since I bought "pretty" ones.

I was anxious to release one, so I made a quickie tag, here's its page , it has traveled over 4500 miles with the first person to grab it, but, I think it had some help from heaven above. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2807710 There's a thread in the TB forum titled "divine intervention and my DD's TB" for a sweet story. It is also small & simple so hopefully it will move quickly & easily without being accidentally lost.

Then I released Peach the penguin-- a stuffed animal-- but that was before I read this thread. fingers crossed that one survives but I know its probably doomed.

I'm hoping that after reading this thread, that this one will atleast meet most of the longevity requirements.

Name: Daisy

-cute--but not too cute (hopefully to be moved along but not end up in toy box)

-water resistant (might survive a go thru the washing machine)

-fairly durable

-lightweight

-palm sized

let me know what you think or if I missed a big flaw in this design. The scrapbooking section of the local hobby store had some nice things, although I had to use the iron to laminate because I couldn't get it to go thru the machine at home. And just for those touchy-feely types the flowers is multi layered papers, so you can feel bumps when you run your fingers over the flowers. There's another daisy (different design) on the back....and I couldn't post a photo of that side of the card ;-)

IMG_4804.jpg

its about the size of a playing card

IMG_4803.jpg

Edited by Little Miss Muffet

is there anyway to code the "no tb hotel" so it reads bigger?

Access you bug and select Edit this trackable. Then on the far right of the test box click the source button

Insert this:

<p>
<b><font size="4">***!!!PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ME IN A TB HOTEL!!!***</font></b></p>
<p>
 </p>

is there anyway to code the "no tb hotel" so it reads bigger?

Access you bug and select Edit this trackable. Then on the far right of the test box click the source button

Insert this:

<p>
<b><font size="4">***!!!PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ME IN A TB HOTEL!!!***</font></b></p>
<p>
 </p>

thanks. i had no idea the source button allowed me to work with HTML. :P

interesting indeed!

my gf and i have been caching about 5wks now. she dropped her first TB off this past weekend and i am holding off for the moment as i am not sure what i want to send off yet.

almost right away i fell in love with the trackable concept. i hope i do not let an owner down and can keep them moving. last weekend i found some and took them to move. i also found some that were going the opposite direction and left them.

its all about respecting others property i think. i am just moving it along is all i am doing. how difficult is that to do?

i was also wondering about education or ease of getting information on trackables.

has the TB tag always been the same? no

i noticed the tags we just got are different then the ones i have been finding and moving in the last 5wks.

is there enough info on the tags or at the website on the tags to help keep them moving? the website on the tags is the main page. is it easy and quick enough to get info to the trackable holder so they dont get frustrated?

just thinkin outloud.

from what i have looked at for trackables on gc.com there are many many variants on info provided on the page, ways to attach tags, kinds of things attached to the tags and tb's to provide info in the field. i like having info in the field with the trackable so i know if it makes sense for me to grab it. i know they are supposed to move, but if i am going 100 or 200 miles the opposite direction is that good? i can see if i pick it up and take it home and realize i went 10 miles the other direction. no big deal. just drop it again and it is on its way. or on the next outting drop it there. but if i went to chicago from denver and grabbed a trackable that was on its way to boston......that is not so good. if it has info with it i can decide to take or leave. but not knowing i might move it wrong direction.

anyways

Monty

i was also wondering about education or ease of getting information on trackables.

has the TB tag always been the same? no

i noticed the tags we just got are different then the ones i have been finding and moving in the last 5wks.

is there enough info on the tags or at the website on the tags to help keep them moving? the website on the tags is the main page. is it easy and quick enough to get info to the trackable holder so they dont get frustrated?

just thinkin outloud.

from what i have looked at for trackables on gc.com there are many many variants on info provided on the page, ways to attach tags, kinds of things attached to the tags and tb's to provide info in the field. i like having info in the field with the trackable so i know if it makes sense for me to grab it. i know they are supposed to move, but if i am going 100 or 200 miles the opposite direction is that good? i can see if i pick it up and take it home and realize i went 10 miles the other direction. no big deal. just drop it again and it is on its way. or on the next outting drop it there. but if i went to chicago from denver and grabbed a trackable that was on its way to boston......that is not so good. if it has info with it i can decide to take or leave. but not knowing i might move it wrong direction.

anyways

Monty

I always recommend adding an additional laminated tag clearing stating that it is a travel bug, giving logging instruction as well as the mission/goal information. It will help keep your bug in circulation and moving in the right direction. (If that's important)

If they didn't include mission/goal information, picking up a bug and moving it ten miles in the wrong direction is just the way it goes. If you are going to move it 200 miles before you can check the mission online, you might want to reconsider picking it up sight-unseen.

In recent discussions with other cachers here in Ohio and also some from other states, missing trackables seem to be more and more prevalent. We visited 2 caches yesterday with up to 7 trackables in their inventory and found . . . Zero. The increase in MIAs seems to coincide with the advent of the apps on phones. Muggles who are not serious players -- or even players at all -- are finding & raiding caches of "fun" stuff.

My bro said a couple of pre-teen boys were looking for caches near his business. They simply came in & asked, "So where is it?" When he asked their caching "handle" or name, they just shrugged. They didn't have a GPS & were just going from maps.

Our solution to the longevity issue is that from now on, we will only place trackables into "Premium" caches.

We'll see how that works out!

We're also going to put one on our GeoYorkie for folks to discover, but they'll get hurt if they try to take it -- or her!!!

I think you may have a good idea. Send them to premium member only. I agree with the cell phone apps making it so easy, people don't bother signing up or reading anything. They think it's a free-for-all.

Very sad to think I might have to do this, and leave a tag to ONLY put them in PMO caches. I have a friend who just went out with her son, looking for caches...also without bothering to sign up or anything. I did leave a note on the 3 TB's I've put out and so far two were picked up correctly. One was "noted" and I emailed the person to make sure it was my TB they took. (it was, and they said they'd log it after they move it). Fingers crossed, and I've told my kids not to expect anything. It's an experiment, really.

I have one more TB, and I'm going to change it's mission, either send it PMO or to a very rural, out of the way cache, where kids out using their phones to steal from caches won't be.

I just want to mention how important it is to have a something with your coin or tag that says where the TB wants to go.

I picked up a TB while I was on vacation, I didn't have internet access on vacation and when I got home realized that I had taken the TB 500 miles away from its goal.

I felt really bad and put it back out in circulation, but if it had had a tag or something with its goal on it I wouldn't have picked it up.

I want reiterate this! I wish all owners would add a little laminated tag or something to their TBs. I went to a cache today that I knew had a bug, but when I got there nothing had a dog tag. I went home again, and looked at the TB page and realized a little Indian toy I had seen was the bug! The dog tag and fallen off (not in the cache though, dunno where it went) But if it had a little note attached to it too, that would have tipped me off. I returned for it after realizing though, and messaged the owner. Already got a reply, so I'll be lockwiring a new piece of metal onto the thing (with the number) that won't come off unless someone cuts it off :rolleyes:

But yeah, putting the goal on the TB is good. I travel a bit, so I try to look around bug pages before I grab something. But if I'm going back to america and the TB wants to go to Germany instead, it'd be nice to see it before I log back in to the site :x

I have two travel bugs I am ready to release (I am really new to this). Should I tack the TB tag directly to the object via rivets or does it make more sense to use a chain/cable type attachment?

I bought some small gauge cable from home depot and crimped it together. I also bought laminate name tags and print out the name of the cache, the number(in case it is hard to read) and the goal on one side and on the other it states:

If you do not intend to log your visit onto the

geocaching.com web site, please DO NOT

TAKE THIS ITEM. Its travels and progress

requires you to log that it is being taken

from this geocache. If you are willing to log

your part of the journey of this item and place

it in another geocache as soon as possible

(after you log your find), grab it from this geocache.

This way when someone grabs it they alread know the goal and if they will be able to meet it.

I put a 'guide booklet' into a ziploc bag with my first trackable - a cute little dog with the TB dogtag attached. It traveled only over 50 miles or so, was put into a cache, and I received a message that only the guidebook was found in the cache by the 2nd cacher to come along after the drop. The first cacher had only 18 finds and was 'showing a newby about geocaching'. I emailed the this cacher, but have not received a response, although they have been logging into the geocache website regularly. I was hoping they could tell me if it was in the cache when they visited, or if it was already missing. I can understand someone wanting the cute little dog figure, but I wish they had left the TB dogtag.... :-(

We have just released a couple of bugs, im hoping they will do well, and they also contain puzzles for cachers to solve...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2788009 - this is my bug currently up a mountain in teneriffe

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2787985 - This is Mels bug, along the same theme... doing the rounds in the uk.

Im hopin they will do well.

Daz & Mel

Longevity Strategy #18:

(I didn't feel like going in order)

Watch the cache in which your travel bug currently resides, at least for as long as the TB is there. If a bunch/horde/throng/couple of cachers come and visit and no one takes or even mentions your TB, then you may need to do some gentle investigating. Is it still there? Did a recent cache visitor just not know how to log it? Etc. Watching a cache allows for some timely action on your part (as opposed to waiting for someone to report the possibly-missing TB to you).

I have started making a habit of "discovering" TBs that I find but don't take with me. This sends a note to the owners that let's them know that they are still out there. I find this especially helpful at TB hotels where a bug might sit for months without moving or when they were placed but the cacher forgot to log it. I've found a number of bugs where the owners thought the Ts were lost because they were moved but not logged. I get really nice thank-you notes from rediscovered TBs.

Edited by munchygut

Longevity Strategy #18:

Watch the cache in which your travel bug currently resides, at least for as long as the TB is there. If a bunch/horde/throng/couple of cachers come and visit and no one takes or even mentions your TB, then you may need to do some gentle investigating. Is it still there? Did a recent cache visitor just not know how to log it? Etc. Watching a cache allows for some timely action on your part (as opposed to waiting for someone to report the possibly-missing TB to you).

I have started making a habit of "discovering" TBs that I find but don't take with me. This sends a note to the owners that let's them know that they are still out there. I find this especially helpful at TB hotels where a bug might sit for months without moving or when they were placed but the cacher forgot to log it. I've found a number of bugs where the owners thought the Ts were lost because they were moved but not logged. I get really nice thank-you notes from rediscovered TBs.

Cool, thank you for doing your part! That's the good thing about discovering Trackables you see in person, and don't/can't move. You let the owner know it's alive. If people don't want to log discoveries, they can still post a note to the trackable page, and let the owner know. It provides a community service, in a way.

I'm debating on releasing my first TB into the wild... Well, maybe "reintroducing" the TB to the wild as it's a gator foot.

Cajun Ben's Gator foot keychain

- It's lightweight, did okay on the drop test

- Only cost $4 USD

- Fits into the palm of one's hand

- His goal is to go near the water - swamps, rivers, bayous...can't be too hard. It's stated on the page and also on a small laminated tag no bigger than the tag itself.

- It's a wanky looking foot, so definitely not cute

- It sort of looks as though it's flipping you off with one toe, hence why I bought the thing.

- My online photo does NOT display the code

- I named it "Later Gator" because I found it cheeky

The only concern present here is ability to withstand the elements. It is a foot, but it may become brittle over time. I got it mostly for the gross-out factor hoping that kids of the geocaching hobby would pick it up and go "EWWW! Toes! Awesome!"

Thoughts on the perceived longevity of this one?

Edited by Eartha
to remove commercial link

I apologize if this has been covered already and I didn't see the post. Since there are now stickers as travel bugs has anyone tried them? I have a wooden object that I thought of affixing a travel bug sticker to and covering it with polyurethane. I know the decals are supposed to be for cars but I wondered if anyone else was successful.

I apologize if this has been covered already and I didn't see the post. Since there are now stickers as travel bugs has anyone tried them? I have a wooden object that I thought of affixing a travel bug sticker to and covering it with polyurethane. I know the decals are supposed to be for cars but I wondered if anyone else was successful.

What would you do with the "wooden object"-turned travel bug? It would be too big except for the larger caches, and there aren't too many of those in any given area.

Yes they are meant for vehicles, but when it's yours, you get to do what you want with it. Nothing says that you couldn't put in on your bay window at home, your office window on the 29th floor, put in on a sheet and fly it as a flag -- possibilities are endless.

The thing is, that these decals/stickers are too large to be very successful travel bugs (for traveling from cache-to-cache).

This photo is from another thread -- shows the size.

199536_10150460469315437_858125436_17819122_5799777_n.jpg

I've sent out travellers that weren't well attached to the tag, plus some items that are probably getting a bit worse for the wear as they weren't particularly sturdy.

Thanks to Snoogans and other posters, I've set up some travellers who won't need too much TLC when moving from cache to cache :)

Components I used to assemble the bug/tag assembly

4AQyXl.jpg

Mr. Tee

RqgQ9l.jpg

Longevity Strategy #18:

I just learned another reason to watch the cache your bug is in.... Recently the person who picked up my TB put a photo of my TB's number on the cache log (not the TB log). I had to go read their log on the cache page to find it. They are a new cacher and probably don't know that you aren't supposed to post the numbers.

If its important to you, watch it closely...you could end up with a locked bug.

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #6. Make it a total b1tch to remove the tag. (or be prepared to see a picture of something you didn't send out calling itself your bug. Sadly, this happens. ;) )

I have seen some pretty nifty examples of this. The best one that I have seen so far used garage door cable. I have yet to be able to reproduce that concept and THAT is the main reason that I have released so few of my bugs.

I'll bite. Tell me about the supplies & tools to make a crimped cable loop. Doesn't have to be garage door cable, anything moderately secure is fine. I've seen some ideas on this thread, and wonder if there are any sharp edges or frayed cable ends that could hurt someone. It seems like a cable will be an expensive time-consuming mess. But I'll give it a try. My recent TBs use steel clip rings, and that doesn't seem good enough -- too easy to remove.

If I get the cable stuff, and buy the crimper, I'd bring that and a drill to some events, and make TBs for people. To sorta justify the expense. So. What do I need to buy?

Edited by kunarion

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #6. Make it a total b1tch to remove the tag. (or be prepared to see a picture of something you didn't send out calling itself your bug. Sadly, this happens. ;) )

I have seen some pretty nifty examples of this. The best one that I have seen so far used garage door cable. I have yet to be able to reproduce that concept and THAT is the main reason that I have released so few of my bugs.

I'll bite. Tell me about the supplies & tools to make a crimped cable loop. Doesn't have to be garage door cable, anything moderately secure is fine. I've seen some ideas on this thread, and wonder if there are any sharp edges or frayed cable ends that could hurt someone. It seems like a cable will be an expensive time-consuming mess. But I'll give it a try.

If I get the cable stuff, and buy the crimper, I'd bring that and a drill to some events, and make TBs for people. To sorta justify the expense. So. What do I need to buy?

I need to do a better write up but check this thread. It's actually pretty cheap and easy.

Cable

I'll bite. Tell me about the supplies & tools to make a crimped cable loop. Doesn't have to be garage door cable, anything moderately secure is fine. I've seen some ideas on this thread, and wonder if there are any sharp edges or frayed cable ends that could hurt someone. It seems like a cable will be an expensive time-consuming mess. But I'll give it a try.

I need to do a better write up but check this thread. It's actually pretty cheap and easy.

Cable

Thanks! I'll see what I can scrounge up.

That's much better for me than going to Ace Hardware and asking "how do I attach this", and getting blank stares when I don't really know what I'm looking for :lol:. Last time I went, they had dogtag chain on a roll, but they were out of the connector clips.

I'll bite. Tell me about the supplies & tools to make a crimped cable loop. Doesn't have to be garage door cable, anything moderately secure is fine. I've seen some ideas on this thread, and wonder if there are any sharp edges or frayed cable ends that could hurt someone. It seems like a cable will be an expensive time-consuming mess. But I'll give it a try. My recent TBs use steel clip rings, and that doesn't seem good enough -- too easy to remove.

I use a GB crimp tool and cable/crimp fasteners from Rona. To cut the cable I use a cold chisel and a steel block. It really takes only a couple of minutes to attach the item to your tag. As others have mentioned, you can position the wire so no sharp ends protrude.

--Ted

Laminated - yes. I like those self-adhesive jobbers. Custom sized, very secure wire cabled attachment, detailed logging instructions. Always a great idea to keep a bug in circulation. Highly recommended.

Are they good use so people follow the owner's instructions to place only in certain caches? Absolutely not. Not even close. Okay to ask but really? ah, no. You are simply setting yourself up to be disappointed.

I've enjoyed reading through the posts here, and have my own small contribution to make. I maintain a bookmark list called * TB Inside * that has the "Notify me when items on this list are logged" option marked. When someone drops one of my bugs, I add the cache to the list, and when someone retrieves one, I remove the cache from the list. Here are some text snippets I use when contacting people. The last (long) one is probably most useful. Obviously, I edit them as needed. I've found that in a lot of cases, a missing bug will turn up in another cache. I think sometimes new cachers don't realize they have to do something special with them, so I try to educate if possible. Feel free to steal or customize as you see fit.

---

I see you visited "The Spring Christmas Cache" (GCZW01) today. Did you happen to notice if the traveler "Mr. Rude" (TB3AM30) was still inside? Just trying to keep track of it. Thanks in advance!

---

You retrieved my "Top Flite" traveler (TB34A8V) three and a half months ago. Typically, you should try to move a travel bug or geocoin within a few weeks, but sometimes life gets in the way. I've noticed you haven't been caching a lot lately, so I'm just checking in to make sure you've still got this traveler, and wondering when you're planning to drop it off again. If you'd prefer to return it to me, please let me know so I can provide my mailing address. Thanks in advance!

---

Thanks for the discovery on the little GPS geocoin. I typically watch the caches where my trackables are staying, and often I'll see somebody log that they found the cache, but it's a mystery as to whether my trackable is still there or not, so I appreciate you taking the time to discover it!

---

Thanks for moving "Furry Friends" (TB3AM1C) safely along to a new cache!

---

I see you logged that you picked up my "Fishin'" travel bug (TB34A89) from Golden Transit (GC1CRBB) today. Thanks! Your profile indicates you don't have any travel bugs logged, so you're obviously a little new at this.

I noticed that you discovered it instead of retrieving it. Discovering a traveler means you saw it in a cache or at an event, but didn't take it. So I'd like to ask you to retrieve it, please.

When you pick up a travel bug or geocoin, you should log that separately from the cache find. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/track/ or click "Play" then "Trackables" on the top of most Geocaching.com screens. Just enter the number stamped on the item in the "Tracking Code" field. You'll want to "Retrieve" it from the cache you got it. You should only "Grab" something if it's not listed in the cache where you got it. Then when you put it in another cache, you can just select it when you write your log entry. If you forget (we all do occasionally), just write a log, enter something like "Bug drop" and then select the traveler to submit.

The number stamped on a trackable coin or tag proves that you've seen or taken it, so if you refer to a trackable item in a log entry, you should refer to it by its reference number (starting with "TB") and not by the tracking code that's stamped on it.

Hope that helps.

---

Soon, I will be resurrecting some of my trackables into the wild that have went missing for at least 1 year. Intend on using laminated tags containing the "passport" with the trackable number, something pertaining to the original trackable (as ugly as possible :laughing:) ... held together by 14 gauge galvanized wire. I didn't see any fasteners today.... I might check at ACE hardware first. Any other ideas?