Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic

Snoogans

So.... I just discovered Scotch Brand self-sealing laminating pouches.... perfect for TB passport!

I think that's the brand I use as well! Tip for you - go to a craft store and pick up one of the scrape book/corner cutters punchdown thingies. They remove the sharp corners of the tag slick as anything.

CarlCP6.jpg

Wondering why TB hotels were referred to as "prisons" in this thread?

Because many of them demand a minimum number of trackables always present and/or "you may take only as many as you put back in".

Result: Often trackables stay in the box for ages and do not travel, unless a cacher is brave enough to ignore the requirement.

Regarding topic at hand, a group of ten coins (plus the two "parents") were sent out recently. Am curious how they will do. This time no holes with tags - which is a very good strategy.

Green "Log me" (as example) One of them already proved that reading skills are not everybody's cup of tea.

Red "Don't log me" (as example)

Edit:

Instead of laminated tags I resorted to something else: The local hardware shop sells these big versions of Kevron tags. They can take a lot more wear and tear than the laminated tags.

I replace the paper with Rite-in-the-rain and either use these plastic p-touch strips or a ballpoint.

Less space for text, but after having heard complaints of cachers like "too much to read on the tag", less seems to be more.

The whole thing is held together with a wire, clamps and heat shrink tube. Five of them are already out and survive quite well.

Australian Wildlife (picture was made when in production)

Edited by harraps

Weird. I thought it would be fun to start a TB Hotel in 'Hotel Circle' San Diego. I would never put such restrictions on it! Defeats the point of TB's. I also would make it a decent hike away from muggles; there is a beautiful, wooded area behind the hotels anyway. I figured it would be a really cool theme to create a cache work with (I have 2 other themed caches ready and waiting to hide). Glad I found out that they turn into prisons :/

What are collectibles? Can someone please link me in that direction? I tried a search, but no luck. :) With bugs I've started, I always check that box that says no collectibles, but I don't get what they even are. Great thread. I've observed that an average of half of our released bugs have made it anywhere. Not as bad as I assumed before releasing them, but I will definitely try improving that number with some of these strategies.

I've come across one TB that had devolved from a "monkey" to a "fish". LOL. The original attachment was a monkey and what I found was fish. Read through the logs, but it's always hard to tell what happened. I assume someone unscrupulous takes the attachment for themselves, then a decent cacher takes the lone tag and replaces it with something new. Yesterday, I found a TB tag with nothing attached. It originally had a tugboat, so I'm going to try and find another boat to attach to it before sending it on its way.

Weird. I thought it would be fun to start a TB Hotel in 'Hotel Circle' San Diego. I would never put such restrictions on it! Defeats the point of TB's. I also would make it a decent hike away from muggles; there is a beautiful, wooded area behind the hotels anyway. I figured it would be a really cool theme to create a cache work with (I have 2 other themed caches ready and waiting to hide). Glad I found out that they turn into prisons :/

What are collectibles? Can someone please link me in that direction? I tried a search, but no luck. :) With bugs I've started, I always check that box that says no collectibles, but I don't get what they even are. Great thread. I've observed that an average of half of our released bugs have made it anywhere. Not as bad as I assumed before releasing them, but I will definitely try improving that number with some of these strategies.

I've come across one TB that had devolved from a "monkey" to a "fish". LOL. The original attachment was a monkey and what I found was fish. Read through the logs, but it's always hard to tell what happened. I assume someone unscrupulous takes the attachment for themselves, then a decent cacher takes the lone tag and replaces it with something new. Yesterday, I found a TB tag with nothing attached. It originally had a tugboat, so I'm going to try and find another boat to attach to it before sending it on its way.

Never add or remove anything without owner permission. You might think you are doing someone a favor but you really need to let the owner manage their own bugs. If there's a problem you need to let them address it.

Collectables is a misnomer. It means the owner has decided to keep the traveler in their own collection. It does not mean they are offering it up to be kept by a finder. That would open a whole new issue about ownership transfer.

Hotels are meant to keep bugs moving. They are not places to make sure people can find a bug.

Never add or remove anything without owner permission. You might think you are doing someone a favor but you really need to let the owner manage their own bugs. If there's a problem you need to let them address it.

Cool. Decided to email them after reading this. They said they'd love it if we added a boat. Totally not my business, but I figure it'll get more places and is less likely to get lost with an attachment. I'm a bit TB obsessed. ;)

Not sure this is the right place to post, but it certainly deals with making TBs live longer:

I have posted a proposal to the feedback section, that I think could help resque some geocoins, particularly when new geocachers pick up a coin/TB and don't know what to do, or they forget to log properly.

If you support the idea, please vote!

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2273016-change-public-profile-page-for-trackables-simplif

Not sure this is the right place to post, but it certainly deals with making TBs live longer:

I have posted a proposal to the feedback section, that I think could help resque some geocoins, particularly when new geocachers pick up a coin/TB and don't know what to do, or they forget to log properly.

If you support the idea, please vote!

You're right, this is the wrong place for this post. <_<

BlueDeuce, your response is probably a lot of fun to longstanding members of the TB forum. But if you want me to behave differently, give some proper feedback.

Should I have made a new topic? Should I not have posted at all, since the vast majority are aware of the feedback site and have opted out of using it? Or do you just disagree with the idea itself?

I just want to help trackables from going missing because people don't know/remember that they're supposed to log them separately from the cache log.

Edited by mamoreb

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #4. Just the tag, in most cases, is not enough. TB goal sheets, the TB page, or a TB Passport, really let it be known that the item in question is in fact private property that has been left in public trust.

What is a TB Passport? That link is dead.

Thanks.

It's a record card that some cachers like to put with their TB as it travels around...

Try this link: Travel bug passport pdf.

MrsB :)

I joined geocaching.com last weekend & found my first cache on Hallowe'en. I took out a Travel Bug & will be sending it along very soon. I've since ordered some of my own & this thread has been very helpful in preparing them for their journeys. Thanks to everyone for contributing to this very educating thread.

Today I released my very first Travel Bug into the wild. Taking advice from this forum thread, I selected a item of little value but still pretty neat & secured it to the Travel Bug with a length of aircraft cable & a heavy duty crimp. You'll notice the ID number is not in the photo. Any feedback is appreciated.

6320105508_0fa2b2e7ee.jpg

It's mission is to travel far & wide in search of a lock which it can open. :)

Today I released my very first Travel Bug into the wild. Taking advice from this forum thread, I selected a item of little value but still pretty neat & secured it to the Travel Bug with a length of aircraft cable & a heavy duty crimp. You'll notice the ID number is not in the photo. Any feedback is appreciated.

I released one about a year and a half ago almost identical to this.

I got "how awesome!" on each of it's 3 or 4 short hops. Then it disappeared. Some people are absolutely bonkers over antique style keys (and mine was actually a cheap chinese bottle opener in the shape of an old fashioned key).

In fact, every single travel bug I've ever released has disappeared off the face of the earth. It's kind of discouraging. I know some will get muggled, but I don't get why some cachers decide to just pocket them.

Hi,

I'm new to geocaching and want to send out a TB of my own. For the hitchiker to attach to the dog tag, I was thinking about printing out a clipart of a jogger on printing paper. Then I would make a cut out and laminate it with some of that really stiff/thick thermal laminating material. Then for the travel bug instruction sheet to attach, I was curious about feedback. How would something like this sound? Would it make sense to someone who never read any of the rules of geocaching? Would it be too wordy, or just right? Suggestions? :

"(name of TB):

DO NOT KEEP ME! I am a travel bug. I am private property, traveling from geocache to geocache, with a tracking number. Please don’t remove me from this geocache unless you plan to log your visit at www.geocaching.com/track/default.aspx

My goal: Please help me to move across the country. I also think it would be fun to eventually visit other countries. Even if you help me move to another geocache just a mile away in the right direction, that would be nice, but please do not hold onto me for very long.

When logging me online, it would be fun to see pictures of the places I’ve visited. Even perhaps getting your picture taken with this travel bug could be fun."

Nick - Cacher:

Your idea of clipart is fine, but as a traveler I think it will need to be yet a bit more substantial than a laminated sheet.

Most photo shops and craft shops have available plastic sealing frames into which you insert it and seal it closed. Much more durable.

As far as the instruction sheet goes, you can print one right from your own TB page. You can size it before printing to whatever size you desired right from the print option in your top line menu. That printout will say pretty much what you said in your post.

Try to keep it as small as possible and still be read OK. Size matters, otherwise your small-ish TB becomes rather large.

Here is a screen shot of one ready to print:

7bff76de-af69-49b4-9d2a-938148dfaf9f.png

Access it on the TB page, near the upper right (tracking # blacked out:

24c01593-dca8-44fa-8e96-f0fc98365b5e.png

Give note to the Evil_Jim post earlier. I have been advising use of a cable for a long time. His is quite large diameter, that size isn't absolutely necessary (it doesn't hurt, either). 1/16" cable is fine, seal the ends with a crushable ferrule. Both are available at most any hardware store, cheaper than you may think.

To attach the instruction sheet (mission statement), after laminating, hole-punch one corner and insert a grommet. Thread the cable through your traveler, TB tag and the sheet grommet. Seal the cable with the ferrule and it's ready to go. The beaded chain that came with the TB tag............ well, use it for something else.

This set-up eliminates need for a plastic baggie to hold it all -- I think you may have seen those about. The bag quickly becomes ugly, torn and useless, losing any items that are separate. This method above keeps everything together and sheds the bulkiness of having to use a baggie.

Hi,

One of the reasons I was curious about wording it that way is on the printout sheets you can get from a travel bug's websites, it just says log your visit at geocaching.com. However, for a brand new newbie picking up a trackable and then going to the geocaching.com website, they can't see where to go to track it, you have to already know where to go. I was debating with my self whether posting "www.geocaching.com/track/default.aspx" will make it easier for them, increasing the likelihood it will be logged?

It seems like half of the time when a cache says it has a trackable, it doesn't really (and all these other cachers for years and years have been complaining that it's missing).

Also, I was curious about including the phrase "PRIVATE PROPERTY" somewhere in the travel bug goal sheet attachment? I would want people take it more seriously when thinking about snatching it from a geocache, or would that just backfire by making it sound less inviting to those who would legitimately help move it along?

Edited by Nick - Cacher

Most photo shops and craft shops have available plastic sealing frames into which you insert it and seal it closed. Much more durable.

That sounds interesting! So you can put cut outs of clip art printed on photo paper in them, or how exactly do they look/work? How secure would they be if someone wanted to remove the clip art from it (like when you talk about cable to make TB's less likely to be removed)? Can they be sealed off well from water, or should I just laminated it first then put it in?

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #3 Size matters! (If they say it doesn't they're lying.) Do I really need to go into detail here?

OK. Big bug = slow mover, teeny tiny bug w/improvised tag = lost, if you can close your hand around it = just about perfect.

In post #270 above, I was thinking about making a hitchhiker cut out of clip art and having it laminated with very stiff material or some other type of protection, and I could make any size. I was thinking about having it 3.5 inches long, but I'm debating with myself what's optimal size. Do you think 3.5" would be too big, or would that work? It would be small enough to close a hand around it, but then how long it is is a different matter.

I was thinking if it's too small with the clip art, it will be hard to see the art details on it since it's shrunk. However, having it small would help it to fit into a lot more geocaches smaller than the rating of shoebox/ammo can regular size containers.

Any advice on my post #270 above?

Sealing the plastic frame: (Dependent upon the type of plastic) Plastic modeling cement will actually melt and fuse the sealing edges together. Failing that, clear silicone sealant works very good -- it does take a long time to properly cure. It is extremely tough to remove, will hold secure for years and makes for a water tight seal.

Size: Yes, it does matter. With the attached TB tag and mission statement, chances of it being lost in the bottom of a large cache are minimal. The TB tag itself is instantly recognizable as a traveler, to a geocacher. (Pictured above) the skeleton key is nearly perfect, but it should have a mission tag/statement with it.

Make it too large and it is difficult to find a cache to place it in. By and large, cache sizes are shrinking. Many times people take a TB to drop into a small, only to find it is a micro. Many listed as being 'regular' size are actually 'small' today.

Any TB much larger than your hand (spread) size will have trouble being moved. That is one reason to eliminate the the use of a baggie.

Cable: Not so much that it could be removed, but rather broken, losing the items thereon.

I went to FedEx Kinko's and asked if they had "some type of plastic sealing you can use for cutouts of pictures". They said the only thing they had to offer was laminating it in one of their machines. They then suggested Smith's because it was supposed to have craft supplies. I went to Smith's and they said they used to sell lamination machines, but didn't quite know what I was trying to look for with plastic sealing frames for cutouts from photo paper.

Do you know if there's a name for what I'm looking for exactly, so I can describe it better to a store worker when searching for it?

Hi, wife and I just starting love the game 23 finds in a mounth. Going on vacation thought we'd grab some tb's move them a couple thousand miles out of 6 listed in cachs only 2 found ouch! Cant all be muggles, dont other GEOcacher's realize these are our babys if you take them log them. Just released my frist coin know I'm scared.

I went to FedEx Kinko's and asked if they had "some type of plastic sealing you can use for cutouts of pictures". They said the only thing they had to offer was laminating it in one of their machines. They then suggested Smith's because it was supposed to have craft supplies. I went to Smith's and they said they used to sell lamination machines, but didn't quite know what I was trying to look for with plastic sealing frames for cutouts from photo paper.

Do you know if there's a name for what I'm looking for exactly, so I can describe it better to a store worker when searching for it?

You could always get some very stiff collectible card sleeves (used not only for cards but also Artist Trading Cards). They make wimpy plastic ones, but I'm talking about the rigid, thick, vinyl ones. Run a line of superglue along the open edge, and done! You can find them at any hobby store that sells baseball cards, and they're not too expensive.

Okay...I know people don't want to lose TBs! I don't, either. But I've seen a few recently that were in sandwich-size ziplocks with a huge cardstock goal sheet. I had one for a while, and it was really tough to find a cache big enough to put it in...therefore I hung onto it for a few weeks and had to make a special trip (though a great one, in the end) to reach a regular-size cache.

On a related note...I'm traveling to the Bahamas in a few days. I'm planning on visiting a coin/TB bank, and sadly, it sounds like there might only be one TB and none of the other trackables that are listed in the cache (and it's a PM only listing! You'd think they would know!). So I came up with a compromise--I have lots of little bags just bigger than the coins/bugs that have a white labeling stripe across them. I've written across the label: "Trackable item. NOT COLLECTIBLE. Please log this trackable at geocaching.com. Take it home with you and drop it off in another cache for good karma."

I'm hoping that this will help them stay in the game, and the bags are small enough that the cache size won't interfere. And yes, I realize it does nothing about the people who "collect" coins and bugs, but there's not much I can do about those weasels. I just want to make sure well-intentioned folks aren't confused. I'm crossing my fingers that this will work...plan on releasing two TBs and a few coins at that spot since it sounds like the CO only gets down there a couple of times a year to restock.

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #6. Make it a total b1tch to remove the tag. (or be prepared to see a picture of something you didn't send out calling itself your bug. Sadly, this happens. ;) )

I have seen some pretty nifty examples of this. The best one that I have seen so far used garage door cable. I have yet to be able to reproduce that concept and THAT is the main reason that I have released so few of my bugs.

Answer? Use 1/4 inch steel cable found at most hardware stores. You can also find crimpable locks instead of the ubolt type to make it permanent. I run a Carquest store and sell the crimp parts myself ... just not the cable(hardware store couple blocks behind me carries that). Comes in many sizes and it's usually sold by the foot. Beware though ... it's a pain to cut.

Okay...I know people don't want to lose TBs! I don't, either. But I've seen a few recently that were in sandwich-size ziplocks with a huge cardstock goal sheet. I had one for a while, and it was really tough to find a cache big enough to put it in...therefore I hung onto it for a few weeks and had to make a special trip (though a great one, in the end) to reach a regular-size cache.

On a related note...I'm traveling to the Bahamas in a few days. I'm planning on visiting a coin/TB bank, and sadly, it sounds like there might only be one TB and none of the other trackables that are listed in the cache (and it's a PM only listing! You'd think they would know!). So I came up with a compromise--I have lots of little bags just bigger than the coins/bugs that have a white labeling stripe across them. I've written across the label: "Trackable item. NOT COLLECTIBLE. Please log this trackable at geocaching.com. Take it home with you and drop it off in another cache for good karma."

I'm hoping that this will help them stay in the game, and the bags are small enough that the cache size won't interfere. And yes, I realize it does nothing about the people who "collect" coins and bugs, but there's not much I can do about those weasels. I just want to make sure well-intentioned folks aren't confused. I'm crossing my fingers that this will work...plan on releasing two TBs and a few coins at that spot since it sounds like the CO only gets down there a couple of times a year to restock.

Speak to the bug owner and involve them with proper release techniques rather than quazi-add something to someone else's bug.

My longevity strategy- write a TB code on a dollar bill in sharpie. The larger the denomination, the less likely to be kept by anyone. Money will be spent, so this TB may move through muggle hands but it will get into a cache eventually. Geocaching is not going to end tomorrow, and there are 5 million of us, so it will make it back into geocaching hands eventually.

Ex:

My longevity strategy- write a TB code on a dollar bill in sharpie. The larger the denomination, the less likely to be kept by anyone. Money will be spent, so this TB may move through muggle hands but it will get into a cache eventually. Geocaching is not going to end tomorrow, and there are 5 million of us, so it will make it back into geocaching hands eventually.

Ex:

Awesome idea I will gladly put some of you cash tb's in caches for you lets start off with 10 crisp $100....

Does trying to keep a TB out of a city help? All GCs within city limits I've checked are missing TC/TBs. I go hiking a lot and wondered if hikers - even your city-slickin' day hikers - might be less theif than those in the city.

Would setting a goal like "visit every mountain peak" help keep it out of the city if hikers prove to be more reliable?

Does trying to keep a TB out of a city help? All GCs within city limits I've checked are missing TC/TBs. I go hiking a lot and wondered if hikers - even your city-slickin' day hikers - might be less theif than those in the city.

Would setting a goal like "visit every mountain peak" help keep it out of the city if hikers prove to be more reliable?

Remote may help with muggles but it won't help with the most common problem, a cacher picking it up and never logging it. Plus you can't guarantee that people will only move it to remote caches.

Still a good idea for a bug journey.

Thanks. It's just disappointing that with almost 30 caches found I haven't found a single trackable (just a few "signature" coins that seem like they should stay put). I know my 4 year old who is liking geocaching with her pop is getting frustrated.

It's also odd that most TB drop-offs happened last year. I've viewed very few caches which have a TB drop-off in 2012. Have people just given up on placing TBs because of (what seems to me) rampant "piracy"?

Still a good idea for a bug journey.

Thanks. It's just disappointing that with almost 30 caches found I haven't found a single trackable (just a few "signature" coins that seem like they should stay put). I know my 4 year old who is liking geocaching with her pop is getting frustrated.

It's also odd that most TB drop-offs happened last year. I've viewed very few caches which have a TB drop-off in 2012. Have people just given up on placing TBs because of (what seems to me) rampant "piracy"?

No, I view it as the inability/reluctance to find a cache large enough to hold a TB.

COOL!! I love old keys, but would NEVER steal a bug! :) Good luck! What happens when someone finds the door that it opens?? :)

I have two travel bugs I am ready to release (I am really new to this). Should I tack the TB tag directly to the object via rivets or does it make more sense to use a chain/cable type attachment?

I.M.O. Which ever way is less awkward, but would still be really hard to remove. I am partial to cable. I have never seen one that was riveted yet.

I have two travel bugs I am ready to release (I am really new to this). Should I tack the TB tag directly to the object via rivets or does it make more sense to use a chain/cable type attachment?

I.M.O. Which ever way is less awkward, but would still be really hard to remove. I am partial to cable. I have never seen one that was riveted yet.

You'd think that a 210 pound TB would be difficult to lose...

http://img.geocaching.com/track/log/large/c6b5f2c4-71e3-4976-9219-ae7d04185a41.jpg

....but this one has done just that:

http://coord.info/TBJWR7

At least its 197 pound twin is still easily findable:

http://coord.info/TB1CTFR

The point is, if a 210 pound TB can go missing, anything can.

Do all you can. Expect the worst. Hope for the best.

Edited by mm&i

Not sure if this has been asked before, but after reading through someone's blog talking about the fates of over 200 TBs she released over a few years I had the inkling that some TBs that would seem to be politically or religiously charged might end up being lost when they fall into the hands of someone that hates what it stands for. The easiest example to explain might be a TB bearing a cloth patch depicting the a flag of a country finding its way into a cache in another country with which it is at war with, but given that most TBs stay in their country of origin, I'm thinking of more local 'hot-button' topics like religion, race, individual politicians etc. I doubt that it would ever be possible to certainly say that such TBs come to grief more frequently, but it would make sense.

Hypothetically, if as a cacher you discovered a TB attached to a figurine of the poitician you hated with every fibre of your being, and it had an explanatory card attached talking about how great and awesome he/she is, what would you do? I would NOT enjoy moving it on and leave it in the cache, but other cachers might show less restraint. Even if it is not lost, that TB is already disadvantaged and may not travel as far as one attached to a plastic zebra.

I am very thankful for this thread, unfortunately I made the grave mistake of not attaching any info to my first TB. On the bight side it is valueless, has a massive hole drilled through it, and is in a cache that has been rarely accessed so hopefully it has a good start in the hands of a more experienced and dedicated cacher. The first TB I picked up had no info so I simply repeated the same mistake...will not do that again.

I couldn't find the acrylic keychain picture frames I usually use for my latest batch of bugs, so I picked up some of the Scotch self-sealing laminating pouches at WalMart. In the spirit of the TV show, "Home Improvement", I couldn't leave well enough alone and beefed them up a little.

IMG_0109_zps2600df88.jpg

The tape reinforcement is Scotch transparent duct tape. The brass grommet is from a kit (General No. 71260) I got at a True Value hardware store. I hope that these last at least as long as the bugs do.

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #6. Make it a total b1tch to remove the tag. (or be prepared to see a picture of something you didn't send out calling itself your bug. Sadly, this happens. :blink: )

I have seen some pretty nifty examples of this. The best one that I have seen so far used garage door cable. I have yet to be able to reproduce that concept and THAT is the main reason that I have released so few of my bugs.

I went to the neighborhood "hardware" store, and purchased small-diameter aircraft cable and ferrules to match. I checked at Home Depot, and while they have the aircraft cable, they don't have the ferrules, so the small Mom-and-Pop stores are probably the way to go. You need to have a cable cutting tool to get through the steel cable -- ordinary pliers or wire cutters just won't do the trick.

Here's what the finished product looks like: Duty days :D

I really like this idea, Where did you get the tag with the geocaching info on it?

"Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #1. Drill a great big friggin hole in it to eliminate any collectable qualities of your TB."

How's this for drilling a big friggin hole? ElRock TB!

ElRockmid.jpg

:D:D

Awesome idea. Simple, non-collectible, small-ish, and durable. Very cool.