Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic

Snoogans

Who would have ever thought that people would steal Travel Bugs. Well after reading this link the photo on my bug page TB2132A "Beijing Olympic's 2008 went from this and I made it look like this

Thanks for all of the good pointers! This thread has been a big help!!

why would you take it upon yourself to take something off a travel bug, the red thingy? did you ask the owner first? i dunno, but if someone decided to "upgrade" my bug and took something off i liked, i would be a bit miffed.

a thought,

rsg

Who would have ever thought that people would steal Travel Bugs. Well after reading this link the photo on my bug page TB2132A "Beijing Olympic's 2008 went from this and I made it look like this

Thanks for all of the good pointers! This thread has been a big help!!

why would you take it upon yourself to take something off a travel bug, the red thingy? did you ask the owner first? i dunno, but if someone decided to "upgrade" my bug and took something off i liked, i would be a bit miffed.

a thought,

rsg

Ahhhh...I am the Owner!!!! Did you not read my post...I said "Well after reading this link the photo on my bug page TB2132A " went from this...where it had the cute little red thing...to this...where I took it off so it wouldn't be snatched.

I have a TB that I did not log for 19 days. I was using geocaching as a distraction from some unpleasant family business. To be perfectly honest, I misplaced the poor thing and now its owner has sent it to the "TB Graveyard". Does this make me a murderer? I think not! I have e-mailed the TB owner and await the response, but what would you do?

Your response to the owner of the TB was very respectful. Wish that more cachers were like you. Things (s**t) happens. A little apology goes a long way. Way to go.

After reading this thread, here's what I came up with. Four passports for famous androids, riveted (with real rivets, not pop) to their dog tag.

Palm size, no commercial value, cute enough that they stay on the move, worthless without the tag, clear mission explained on the back, and an incentive to whoever places them back in caches. (We send a postcard to whoever sends his/her address with the TB tracking number after the TB has been placed in a cache. Not much, I agree, but still...)

4droids.jpg

Bender B Rodriguez

Data Soong

R Daneel Olivaw

R2-D2 Droid

(spelling and grammar)

Edited by Userzero
  • Upvote 1

Snoogans,

I think this should be "pinned".......you are right on target here.

One important thing that was not mentioned yet (I know, your getting to it) is: Don't take pictures showing the TB's Serial Number....and then post them up to your bug's page......DUMB, real DUMB.

I have a "DUMB, real DUMB" question (LOL).

I am new to this and don't understand why posting a picture with the Serial Number on it would cause your Bug to get lost.

I am about to launch my first travel bugs. The are small wooden letters of the first initial of my grandchildren's first name. ( The kids will help launch them). I hope they will be able to follow them on a map.

I wrote the serial number and TB# on the face of the letters and www.Groundspeak.com on the back. I am hoping that if anyone is mean enough to keep the tags, at least the letters can continue traveling and still be tracked. Since I wrote the numbers on them, I guess you are saying I shouldn't post a picture of them.

I am just curious why.

US-PA-Arnolds :D

PS: Thanks! - your advise was really helpful.

Edited by us-pa-arnolds

I am new to this and don't understand why posting a picture with the Serial Number on it would cause your Bug to get lost.

It's not that it causes the bug itself to be lost but rather someone could log the bug out of the cache it's sitting in and start logging it virtually through caches around the world. Or log it out of the cache every single time it's dropped so that it's never shows it is in a cache.

Some people simply log a Discover, racking up stats for a bug they never found.

Sometimes people purposely share their tracking number with other people who never saw or touched the bug

All of this is considered abuse of the system and could result in your bug being locked forever. Even if it's not your fault.

That's why it's never a good idea to post the tracking number online or show it in a photo.

Edit: If you do want to refer to a bug you can post the reference number. That number is located on the upper left hand corner of the bug page. This will allow people to pull up the bug listing but they will not be able to log it.

Edited by BlueDeuce
Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #6. Make it a total b1tch to remove the tag. (or be prepared to see a picture of something you didn't send out calling itself your bug. Sadly, this happens. :laughing: )

I have seen some pretty nifty examples of this. The best one that I have seen so far used garage door cable. I have yet to be able to reproduce that concept and THAT is the main reason that I have released so few of my bugs.

THis COULD be a whole other sub-thread by itself.......

"Ways to foil the removal of the Tag from it's HitchKiker.....Do you know how to say acetylene torch?"

HitchKiker? Is that an ethnic slur or did you mean HitchHiker? Just checking. :laughing:

I can so say acetylene torch. Can you say jeweler's saw?

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #6. Make it a total b1tch to remove the tag. (or be prepared to see a picture of something you didn't send out calling itself your bug. Sadly, this happens. rolleyes.gif )

I have seen some pretty nifty examples of this. The best one that I have seen so far used garage door cable. I have yet to be able to reproduce that concept and THAT is the main reason that I have released so few of my bugs.

I noticed that some people questioned whether or not this was worth doing, because if someone wanted to remove the tag they could do it no matter how much trouble you went through.

While this may be true, a large gauge wire can be pretty discouraging, and wimpy little chains appeal to people's laziness. Having your tag well attached decreases the chances of someone bothering to remove it.

Also, I came across a travel bug today with the original chain, and it was broken! I couldn't tell what item the tag was supposed to be attached to, I had to guess. Luckily I guessed correctly. The chain must have been damaged somehow, maybe due to rust? There was a lot of water in that cache. Regardless, the point is that no one wanted to remove the tag, and it ended up being removed anyway! Replacing the chain with something more durable is a very good idea.

Wow Snoogans, I've been on forums for 3 years now and just first noticed this awesome thread now, wish I knew of it when we started launching TB's. Adding a couple of tips myself, forgive me if this has been repeated (hard to go through 150 entries in a short time!):

1) Provide a good example and show on your profile that you've moved a lot of other people's bugs in a timely manner. I can tell you it will give you a LOT more clout when you ask someone who's held onto a TB/coin forever to get it on it's way (and as noted here by others, do that VERY gently).

2) I know some people are going to hate to hear this, but don't waste your money on those expensive geocoins that are going to have a limited, rare mintage if you're simply going to send it out into the "wild". Someone will keep it, and soon.

The world of geocaching is fairly new to me. My son has taken me along to locate a few and he has started a couple new ones of his own. This past weekend my son and I found a Travel Bug inside a geocache to which I said "ohhhhh... what's that?!". Now, I'm hooked on TB's. I have several ideas, I just need to order the tags from Groundspeak.com and I'll be ready to set my TB's free. I travel mostly within the SW region (Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, etc) during wild fire season and will start using my free time (when I have it) to take/leave TB's. This thread has very valuable information for a newbie like me - thank you.

Edited by Hundewanderer

I've noticed the older TB dogtags have tracking numbers stamped in them, while the new ones are printed on

Have we come across any cases of TB dogtags where the tracking number has been scratched off enough so someone can't log it? I think I'll handle this by adding my tracking number to a laminated instruction sheet with the bug, but just curious.

Thanks

Thanks for the good info...wondering if the following apply to longevity:

I've noticed the older TB dogtags have tracking numbers stamped in them, while the new ones are printed on. (hmm or maybe it depends where you buy your bug from??)

Has this forum come across any cases of TB dogtags where the tracking number has been scratched off enough so someone can't log it? I think I'll handle this by adding my tracking number to a laminated instruction sheet with the bug, but just curious.

Also, anyone think it might help get your bug logged if you used a site like Tinyurl.com to give a shortcut to your bug's page? Didn't think of it before I released it, but as an example, this is the tinyurl for my first TB

http://tinyurl.com/geotux

Thanks again

Has this forum come across any cases of TB dogtags where the tracking number has been scratched off enough so someone can't log it? I think I'll handle this by adding my tracking number to a laminated instruction sheet with the bug, but just curious.

I hang out here quite a bit and I have never heard of someone unable to log a bug due to the tracking number being rubbed off.

Also, anyone think it might help get your bug logged if you used a site like Tinyurl.com to give a shortcut to your bug's page? Didn't think of it before I released it, but as an example, this is the tinyurl for my first TB

http://tinyurl.com/geotux

Considering the cache page has the bug link, the tag has the site url, and people can look it up via the tracking number I really don't think another url will add that much. You can if you wish and see how it goes.

After reading this thread, here's what I came up with. Four passports for famous androids, riveted (with real rivets, not pop) to their dog tag.

Palm size, no commercial value, cute enough that they stay on the move, worthless without the tag, clear mission explained on the back, and an incentive to whoever places them back in caches. (We send a postcard to whoever sends his/her address with the TB tracking number after the TB has been placed in a cache. Not much, I agree, but still...)

Bender B Rodriguez

Data Soong

R Daneel Olivaw

R2-D2 Droid

(spelling and grammar)

I love them. I take it one needs a riveting tool to do that, however. I don't think that is something the average joe has at home.

I have ordered 4 TBs a few days ago and this thread is very helpful before I release them into the wild. I have found a few, I am new to the game, pictures really add a lot to the experience so I am going to try to take a pic for each TB I find. With the great advice I hope to make my TBs more secure.

So I have a few questions being a new cacher.

We want to send a bunch of teenie ty international beanie bears to their countries. My son is really keen on this idea, they are McDonald's toys so not of great value. We have bigger versions of them so he is okay with them potentially being lost. I have cut all tags off of them which greatly reduces their already limited collector's appeal. After reading this thread I have decided to give them some kind of body piercing ...at this point I am thinking ears, possibly cable to attach the tags. I will laminate the info sheet, and place them and it in a heavy ziploc bag. I have already removed the numbers >woops< from the pictures I took.

I would like more suggestions to improve their possibility of success. I want their goals to be the countries of the flags on their chests. I am trying to play up the cute sappy... this is my kids TB factor to help them move.

Any other suggestions or is this hopeless?

So I have a few questions being a new cacher.

We want to send a bunch of teenie ty international beanie bears to their countries. My son is really keen on this idea, they are McDonald's toys so not of great value. We have bigger versions of them so he is okay with them potentially being lost. I have cut all tags off of them which greatly reduces their already limited collector's appeal. After reading this thread I have decided to give them some kind of body piercing ...at this point I am thinking ears, possibly cable to attach the tags. I will laminate the info sheet, and place them and it in a heavy ziploc bag. I have already removed the numbers >woops< from the pictures I took.

I would like more suggestions to improve their possibility of success. I want their goals to be the countries of the flags on their chests. I am trying to play up the cute sappy... this is my kids TB factor to help them move.

Any other suggestions or is this hopeless?

Looks good so far. What do you plan to use to attach the tags?

:D As a new geocacher I just found my first travel bug. Of course I can not long it in because the log in does not recognize the code. It is letters instead of numbers. I have tried everything to log this find but can not do it. The letters are TB2K5B0. I will pass this on but the trail will have a glitch in it.

Dibug

<tracking number removed by moderator, reference number inserted>

Edited by Eartha

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #1. Drill a great big friggin hole in it to eliminate any collectable qualities of your TB.

OK. I only have a few TBs of my 108 in circulation, but I have captured enough to know what works and what doesn't.

Let's objectively discuss what works and what doesn't. I have made many observations regarding this subject. I wonder how many of yours match mine.

Sn :huh::laughing: gans

If this thread starts to turn into a Whine-O-Rama, I will lock it.

Find 'em and move 'em on is the name of the game. Hoarders not welcome here.

Hopefully whoever manages this thread can edit the description and remove the word "whine". As in "whine about your lost travellers elsewhere".

Such elitist arrogance is like a bucket of cold water on the enthusiasm of any newbie. Discussion of and expression of emotional feelings around lost trackable is not "whining." It's all part of the angst of Geocaching.

If you need to make yourself feel superior and cool, perhaps managing a forum on GC.COM is not your best choice.

Hopefully whoever manages this thread can edit the description and remove the word "whine". As in "whine about your lost travellers elsewhere".

Such elitist arrogance is like a bucket of cold water on the enthusiasm of any newbie. Discussion of and expression of emotional feelings around lost trackable is not "whining." It's all part of the angst of Geocaching.

If you need to make yourself feel superior and cool, perhaps managing a forum on GC.COM is not your best choice.

Hi, this thread has been in place since Feb 13 2004. Perhaps you might not have been aware of the general situation when the thread was posted. Some people needed very direct instructions not to take a thread off topic (and still do for that matter).

This thread is about TB Longevity. If you want to whine about your bugs, there are plenty of other threads to do that, including one Pinned at the top.

Perhaps you should make your case directly to the mod Eartha but I would strongly suggest approaching her a tad bit more politely.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Maybe I am daft, but why do you not include the TB tag number in your picture? I only cache sporadically, so I have remained in a permanent state of clueless.

Because there are people who will log it inappropriately possibly even moving it around to caches it has never been to. If the number is passed around your bug could be locked down permanently for virtual logging.

The O or zero, B or 8 confusion happens so often with TBs, if a TB I am sending out has a code that includes a zero, for example, I add a note on the TB page that the 0 in the tracking number is a zero. I figure it can't hurt and it might help keep them moving should a less experienced cacher pick it up and have trouble logging the move.

TB longevity strategy #(fill it in yerself) SCRAP THE PAPER INSTRUCTIONS! No laminating doesn't help it only delays the inevitable. Shrinky Dink printer sheets are the key.

Print them in reverse.

Cut them out.

Shrink them in the oven.

Coat the backsides with super glue.

Attach to bug.

You can get 10 dog tag size hard plastic instruction tags from one sheet.

Heck, wile your at it, make copies of the metal tags and send out the copies.

~~~edit~~~

I can't shpell.

Edited by Vater_Araignee

TB longevity strategy #(fill it in yerself) SCRAP THE PAPER INSTRUCTIONS! No laminating doesn't help it only delays the inevitable. Shrinky Dink printer sheets are the key.

Print them in reverse.

Cut them out.

Shrink them in the oven.

Attach to bug.

~~~edit~~~

I can't shpell.

We just set up our four travel bugs (our first ones) and we used this Shrinky Dink stuff. Its awesome! Found it at the craft store with the man's name (not sure if I'm allowed to say it). We got the kind that is printable on the computer. I typed up the mission tags, printed, baked and they look great! They start out as thick paper like cardstock and turn into plastic about 1/8" thick. We even printed a picture on one of them. Also used the thick cable and ferrule to hold it all together. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips! :sad:

Print them in reverse.

Cut them out.

Shrink them in the oven.

Attach to bug.

~~~edit~~~

I can't shpell.

We just set up our four travel bugs (our first ones) and we used this Shrinky Dink stuff. Its awesome! Found it at the craft store with the man's name (not sure if I'm allowed to say it). We got the kind that is printable on the computer. I typed up the mission tags, printed, baked and they look great! They start out as thick paper like cardstock and turn into plastic about 1/8" thick. We even printed a picture on one of them. Also used the thick cable and ferrule to hold it all together. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips! :D

How did you get them to the exact size of the dogtags? Or did I miss that somewhere in here? I am new to geocaching so I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks for any tips you can give me!

well, now i'm mad I bought a travel bug seeing that is a complete waste of money with zero chance of surviving long enough to feel any sort of pride over it.

I've had bugs out there for years that have yet to be replaced. Others have been out there for years and replaced once.

This thread is about how to make that happen.

well, now i'm mad I bought a travel bug seeing that is a complete waste of money with zero chance of surviving long enough to feel any sort of pride over it.

Sorry for my rather ill last post, but here is my one Tb which I have nicknamed the "fail bug" http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2796152 All it has is the stock chain with a little super glue in the chain connecter. The travel bug itself is made of that tough plastic-y rubber most diving toys are made with. It also has a possibly over compacated goal :).