Snoogans' Tb Longevity Clinic

Snoogans

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #6. Make it a total b1tch to remove the tag. (or be prepared to see a picture of something you didn't send out calling itself your bug. Sadly, this happens. ;) )

I have seen some pretty nifty examples of this. The best one that I have seen so far used garage door cable. I have yet to be able to reproduce that concept and THAT is the main reason that I have released so few of my bugs.

what worked great for me was to embedd the tag into the TB with

2-component clear plastic (2 liquids, that form very hard clear plastic).

The first time around I had a *HUGE* TB... it didn't helped when the cache

I placed it in was muggled... It will probably be a long time before an archeologist will dig it out from your friendly neighbourhood landfill...

The second time around, a smaller "ugly but neat" bug with the tag irremovably (well, you could... but not without destroying the TB...) attached: Success!

All this talk of cables and rivets sounds a bit industrial to me and mutilation sounds hourible. My solution is curses and blessings. Each of my TBs has one of each placed on them. If a person keeps my TB for more than 2 weeks they start to develope a rash which will eventually become some kind of incurable disease ending in death sometimes of old age. If a person moves my TB along they'll have a great day and if there are photos they stand a very good chance of winning a lottery. Its worked so far and is far less traumatic for the cute little fuzzy critturs that I send out. I've decided to add another curse for any new TBs that I send out for people who gang log them at events. I'm thinking possibly Syphllis. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

I am just now reading this thread - after having released 5 TB's so far. :rolleyes:

My fastest traveling bug is called Bug Bug. It's a real bug in a plastic cube that used to be a keyring. It is a beetle, no kid wants it, it's small and easily fits into almost any cache. It has gone almost 3,000 miles so far and it's on the move again.

51f05d71-cc41-44e6-a775-8fe2f322e1f3.jpg

I have found that bugs with a simple mission statement moves faster than one without. Mine just want to travel and meet people. Seems like anthing harder than that scares people. Keep your mission statement simple. no one wants to spend their entire day reading a novel when they can be geo caching.

Right now all my bugs are doing ok. Cliff bug was in the original cache for over 6 months before it moved. It did not have a mission statement.

I shortened the chain and used it on all of them. It really did not occur to me someone would want to steal my bug or change the look of it. But I also think if they really want to jack it up - they will no matter what you use.

I chose things that would not appeal to little kids very much. Nothing very cute except a 4" tall Mickey Mouse (with a big hole drilled in it)

dda74c89-6fce-424f-a9cf-113ee19ac3c0.jpg

This is my Go Big Blue - it has gone over 500 miles.

3bc20d69-d0e2-4aea-acd2-16428ceec0d8.jpg

And last but not least - my Collette Bug

6689c094-7312-4097-bf25-15ba99517741.jpg

All pretty nice things - but not so nice someone would want to steal them.

I've released only one TB, which went missing within days, I have two more to release but would like them to last longer than the 1st. So far this forum has been very helpful. What do you think the possibility is of people collecting the tags themselves as opposed to the TB attached to them?

I have four Travel-Bugs and all four are still on the road. I tried something unique (at least I have never seen anyone else use this technique) to create my bugs... Instead of using a physical object (toy, etc...) which might be collectable or desirable as a keepsake, I create an image (using photoshop, illustrator, etc...) and print it on photo paper. I take the printout to Kinko's where I have it laminated. The lamination is weatherproof and long lasting. I also include the Travel-Bug logo and tracking number as part of the image instead of attaching the physical dog-tag which means no-one can steal that either. The TB's goal is printed on the backside of the bug and the image/graphics on the front. The image can be anything, a photo, cartoon character, sports logo/mascot, whatever you want! You can make them as big or small as you desire and the possibilities are as endless as your imagination permits! Now when one of my bugs goes missing, I can easily reproduce it and get it back on the road!

My Chocolate Cheeseburger Travel-Bug traveled from California to Florida :P just in time to get eaten by a hurricane :P. After waiting for a bit (to see if it would pop-up on its own) I simply cooked-up a new one.

This technique might not be to everyone's liking, but it assures I can create original, non-collectable Travel-Bugs that are virtually muggle-proof!

B)

When using the TB Passport, what number to you put on it? The tracking number or the reference number? I just released my first TB out into the world and I fear he is too cute. Here he is:http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=35438 Do you think the numbers are OK? I read the post about them being not readable after the picture was taken. He's still in the cache where I placed him 2 days ago which is close to my home. I was thinking about adding a passport and anything else you think might be necessary. Please let me know what you think.

When using the TB Passport, what number to you put on it? The tracking number or the reference number? I just released my first TB out into the world and I fear he is too cute. Here he is:http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=35438 Do you think the numbers are OK? I read the post about them being not readable after the picture was taken. He's still in the cache where I placed him 2 days ago which is close to my home. I was thinking about adding a passport and anything else you think might be necessary. Please let me know what you think.

No, I don't think the numbers are OK being seen in the photo. You are taking a chance of it getting yanked.

If by passport you mean goal/mission tag then yes it needs one, even if it doesn't have any goal. Parents see attached instructions better than they do a shiny little tag. Especially when it's a cute little bear.

Oh and on the passport use the reference number not the tracking number. It more likely to be lost than the tag. And if someone finds it with a tracking number......

Edited by BlueDeuce

No, I don't think the numbers are OK being seen in the photo. You are taking a chance of it getting yanked.

Really? You think they're readable? I could read maybe the first 3 numbers but thought it would be OK because I couldn't read the rest.

Go to the bug page and under View the Gallery click on the 'Buddy at Home' link. It makes the photo nice and big.

Go to the bug page and under View the Gallery click on the 'Buddy at Home' link. It makes the photo nice and big.

Uh oh, how do I fix it?

Copy the orig into a photo editor or Paint and scratch it out, then re-post it.

PM me if you need any help.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #1. Drill a great big friggin hole in it to eliminate any collectable qualities of your TB.

OK. I only have a few TBs of my 108 in circulation, but I have captured enough to know what works and what doesn't.

Let's objectively discuss what works and what doesn't. I have made many observations regarding this subject. I wonder how many of yours match mine.

Sn :lol::P gans

If this thread starts to turn into a Whine-O-Rama, I will lock it.

Hello,

I am new to Geocaching and "TB'S" which I thought stood for "Thorobred horse" until now! I am a "horse nut" also! :P I find the thought of purchasing a TB and hiding it in a cache fun, I need to know where to buy a TB ???

I will look at the site listed below. Anyone else in VA that has suggestions please list. I will soon be traveling to TN to go Trail Riding and hope to hide a few on my trip there. :lol:

swiftknollfarm

I'm new to geocaching so I don't now much about it but do you now how or if you can make a travel bug?

The main travel bug page has most of your answers.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/

Hello,

I am new to Geocaching and of course had to order TB's and microcache's ect this AM. I wish I had read about your idea below about laminating the "TB" you design - what a neat trick!! I may try this in the future. I am located in VA.

swiftknollfarm :lol:

I have four Travel-Bugs and all four are still on the road. I tried something unique (at least I have never seen anyone else use this technique) to create my bugs... Instead of using a physical object (toy, etc...) which might be collectable or desirable as a keepsake, I create an image (using photoshop, illustrator, etc...) and print it on photo paper. I take the printout to Kinko's where I have it laminated. The lamination is weatherproof and long lasting. I also include the Travel-Bug logo and tracking number as part of the image instead of attaching the physical dog-tag which means no-one can steal that either. The TB's goal is printed on the backside of the bug and the image/graphics on the front. The image can be anything, a photo, cartoon character, sports logo/mascot, whatever you want! You can make them as big or small as you desire and the possibilities are as endless as your imagination permits! Now when one of my bugs goes missing, I can easily reproduce it and get it back on the road!

My Chocolate Cheeseburger Travel-Bug traveled from California to Florida :) just in time to get eaten by a hurricane :D. After waiting for a bit (to see if it would pop-up on its own) I simply cooked-up a new one.

This technique might not be to everyone's liking, but it assures I can create original, non-collectable Travel-Bugs that are virtually muggle-proof!

:P

...I am new to Geocaching and of course had to order TB's and microcache's ect this AM. I wish I had read about your idea below about laminating the "TB" you design - what a neat trick!! I may try this in the future. I am located in VA.

Thanks for the kind words!

I have had a couple people contact me off-forum to inquire about my TB technique, so let me make a few quick clarifications...

Yes, you still absolutely must buy and activate a Travel-Bug dog tag. You may choose to attach the tag to your laminated bug like normal OR you can include the TB logo and tracking number as part of your custom graphic printout and not attach the physical tag; however, you still must purchase the tag to obtain the tracking number to begin with. Because there is no physical tag attached and no potentially collectable toy item the likelihood of theft is remote. If your bug does find its way to the Travel-Bug graveyard you can always bring it back from the dead (TB Zombies!) by simply printing out a new one. In fact, my recently released "Trick Or Treat" Travel-Bug started its journey in the TB graveyard!

The lamination makes the TB waterproof and extremely weather resistant. I like to use a decorative photo edger to round over the corners of the lamination as they can be a bit sharp, plus it just looks better. You can purchase your own laminator or simply go to your nearby Kinko's. Because I print the front and back on separate sheets of high-gloss photo paper (which increases the thickness) I usually need to run the TB through the lamination machine a couple times to get the best results. Afterward I use their paper-cutter to neatly trim off the excess.

Be aware of the size of bug you are making, if it is too large it will not easily fit into many caches. Mine are usually around 4x5 or 5x6 plus the lamination edge. These are fine for placing into most large and regular size caches, although some tupperware-type cache containers are not quite wide enough for the 5x6.

I hope this helps people have better Travel-Bug longevity and inspires some creative new Travel-Bug ideas!

:lol:

Edited by Team Snorkasaurus

I have been asked for additional clarifications, so I am posting a small version of the front and back graphics for my "Trick Or Treat" Travel-Bug here as an example. The XXXXXX represents where I would place the actual tracking number from the dog-tag.

a2215195-f322-4134-8631-3f4a0199c6c6.jpg

f4f949d6-ac32-4a80-8a3b-27a0880c8dae.jpg

As I stated earlier, these would be placed back to back and laminated as a single unit. The additional thickness may require running the TB through the lamination machine multiple times and from varying angles. Sometimes the good folks at my local Kinko's turn the heat element off so be sure it is fully heated and ready to go before you begin.

<_<

This is a great thread. It was linked to a post on a Hawaii forum in response to my question as to how people were putting together placards for their TBs. I was putting my first two travel bugs together when I received the link. I really like the idea of just using a laminate, but will send out at least the first two in the more traditional format. Great graphics and wording on the Trick or Treat travel bug. I use Paint Shop Pro 7 and the multiple image option. Choosing "Auto Arrange" I can print very accurately back to back on the same sheet of paper so theres no problem trying to align two pieces of paper or thickness. The placard in the fore ground is an example of what's on the other side of the placard attached to the travel bug in the background. I know I probably blew the "Too Cute" concept as far as the hitchhider goes, but for the photo's sake I included the TB for scale while not showing the number. I used 1/16th" aircraft cable.

ef06cdd6.jpg

Edited by kanakajeep

Hi!!

Please help me, somebody... I registred my first TB... but i made a misstake, because for the origine place it came to Iceland instead of Hungary... How can I change it??? The number of my Tb is: TBZF9Y

plase contact with by email: eskarcsi@gmail.com

Not too long ago, I released a beautiful gold Buddha statue. It's a cheap plastic thing, but it looks great all the same.

When I released it, I said goodbye and realized I may never see it again. If I get to watch it's journey, then that's fine.

Attachment only causes sorrow.

BUT I DON'T WANT ANYONE STEALING MY TB'S IT'S NOT NICE!!!! Geez that felt good to get out of my system.

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #3 Size matters!

This is a problem for geocoins too, here is a strategy that may help.

Leave the original TB chain attached (even if you made a chain of your own), if people see the chain, they will look to see what it is attached to.

For geocoins, consider drilling a hole in it and attach a similiar chain.

And if your TB goes missing, reuse the TB#, just make up a new tag using the TB# and make sure your TB has a similar chain attached to it.

Strategy #?? + 1

When in doubt, use a Magna-Dude.

I have released a grand total of one travel but. But I have yet to experience any of the horror stories in others threads. I attribute this fact to the item attached to my bug...a magna-dude. Magna-dudes are about the right size, and the fact that they are always snarling at you eliminates any endearing qualities. Nobody is going to look at it and say "how cute, I just love this thing." You will get no emails saying "my daughter really likes this, can we keep it?"

This actually brings up a good point.

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #9: When holding tbs (especially more than one) keep them in a central location. Say, a tb pouch or knapsack.

When tbs become separated, or do not have a place to call their own where you will ALWAYS look for them them, they tend to get misplaced, or GAWD FORBID, LOST. Case in point.

Even though I am new, I have already decided that my Geo goodies will stay together. If it won't fit the camera bag I have, with my GPSr, pen, camera, spare batteries, and several pages of notes, it can stay where it is for another cacher to locate and forward.

I am currently in possession of my first TB find, Blue Power Ranger. Since his release, he has only bounced around the local area. I am waiting to find out where my dispatcher is sending me, so I can research a couple suitable locations to attempt a drop off. Under no circumstances, do I want this or any TB in my bag for more than 21 days.

Let's keep them moving!!

Do not include instructions about where you want the bug to go -- this will only guarantee it does not get there. I have a bug released a year ago aiming for Amsterdam, where I was going to pick it up. I made it to Amsterdam / the cache is in Alaska. Well they do both start with A. Another example is a cache aiming for Niagara Falls -- it quickly went to California where I think it was taken by aliens and probed on their spacecraft. Just say you want it to travel in random directions and it will be more likely to arrive where you want it to.

For what it's worth, my brother sent a TB from NC up to me in MI. It had instructions with it, as well as on the TB's page. It made it here in a few months.

Another TB he launched headed here has stalled out in NH.

Let's objectively discuss what works and what doesn't.

OK - Snoogans and anyone else - Is there any correlation between the difficulty ratings of a cache and the movement or loss of a TB?

Here is my premise - A cache with a higher degree of difficulty or harder terrain will attract more serious cachers. More serious cachers will likely be more respectful of a TB. If you put a TB in an easy cache that is frequented by 1st timers it may get picked up and misunderstood what it was or not placed again because the 1st time cacher lost interest in the sport. </premise mode off>

Anyone think there is merit to this premise? One downside is a harder cache may not be visited as often.

I am new to caching, gone out only a few times. Have moved 2 TBs. I have bought TBs for family for Christmas and I want my kids to have a fun time tracking their progress. That's the point, right?

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #6. Make it a total b1tch to remove the tag. (or be prepared to see a picture of something you didn't send out calling itself your bug. Sadly, this happens. :anibad: )

I have seen some pretty nifty examples of this. The best one that I have seen so far used garage door cable. I have yet to be able to reproduce that concept and THAT is the main reason that I have released so few of my bugs.

I followed your advice, ditched the provided chain, and attached threaded wire and ferrels. This will soon be my first TB: Lady Wanderlust creatively named by my wife who also donated the attached bug.

f5f5b2a5-a8c1-40d9-b226-20e6f926e84f.jpg

Edited by GG528
  • Upvote 1
Is there any correlation between the difficulty ratings of a cache and the movement or loss of a TB?

I'd have to say yes, definitely. Maybe it's just my bad luck, but the TBs I've noted as missing were all from "easy" finds in very public places (like state parks).

In the end we can't control where other cachers put our TBs (and I wouldn't want to!), but I suppose we could ask the finders to stick to more difficult finds.

-Ericles

Charter member of the Adventure Buddy Club

I just logged my first travel bug not located in a cache.

It was in fact a magnetic plaque attached to someone’s car and yes it is a valid travel bug. I just wonder how long before that is snagged? Anyone know where I can get one for myself?

I think that takes the size prize for largest travel bug.

Here are a couple of my fast and hard rules for Travel Bug release:

1) If anyone thinks the TB item worth something then there is probably someone who will snag it for themselves.

2) If you can fasten something to a TB tag..... I can figure a way to separate the item from the TB tag and cause no more damage that the initial attachment. Therefore, I don't see a value in worrying about attaching the dog tag with any other goal than to keep the TB tag from falling off in average wear and tear.

3) Don't send anything you don't want to loose. I have no great delusion that any of my TB's will make it where I want them to, but I can urge them on!

[:angry:]

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #6. Make it a total b1tch to remove the tag. (or be prepared to see a picture of something you didn't send out calling itself your bug. Sadly, this happens. :unsure: )

I followed your advice, ditched the provided chain, and attached threaded wire and ferrels. This will soon be my first TB: Lady Wanderlust creatively named by my wife who also donated the attached bug.

f5f5b2a5-a8c1-40d9-b226-20e6f926e84f.jpg

Both Fairyhoney and I drill holes in our coins and travel bugs we release and attach heavy gauge picture hanging wire like this and then crimp it together. I usually get the fun job of doing the crimping and doing most of the typing for the goals and "about the travel bug" section...

Put a disclaimer on the TB page that the placer is NOT to put your TB into an event of any kind. They have no way of tracking who *really* drops them off or who *really* picks them up apparently. Of course, you run the risk of actually encouraging rebels to place them into an event just because they want to jerk you off. Still, you might run into someone who is a real geocacher and get lucky.

I've learned a lot from this 'Longevity Clinic'. When someone said a piece of wood with a hole drilled through it might be the best TB, it got me thinking. So I took a flat piece of wood and wood burned a character on one side (dancing Jack - kinda looks like dancing Snoopy with short ears) and all the info. on the back. The geocoin is imbedded in the wood and visable from both sides. Think this will last? We'll see, I just put him out yesterday.

Edited by Knobhiker