Gps 76s In The Cold? (vs. Silva)

galenstewart

Has anyone used the 76S in cold conditions? Are the screen updates, fixes, etc slow? Never had the opportunity to test it where I stay ... unlucky enough to be living in a subtropical clime. And just wondering if the 76S stands up in frigid conditions.

One of the big market angles for the Silva GPSr's is that they don't use fancy graphics or mapping operations because they find that the screen updates become unacceptably slow in cold conditions.

So, do the Garmins falter in conditions that the Silva's can weather through OK ... or is it all marketing hype?

I have used my 76s in below 0degF conditions and the screen does not work well.

The screen was light and very slow to upgrade.

I would/had to use mine inside my coat and pull out for readings only.

I was wearing chopper mittens and put the gps in my mittens for quicker access and warmth.

That is what I recommend and would get a $20 GPSgeek antenna to tether outside my coat if I wanted continuous readings.

just got a 76s for christmas and i've already sent it to garmin twice for the screen going blank in cool, not cold, weather. in below as well as above freezing temps my screen would go totally blue, then go blank. warming the screen with my hand for a couple of seconds would bring the screen back up. there was no slowness, just blue leading to blank. hope when i get it back from garmin that it will be fixed this time. i could adjust if it happened in frigid temps, but in 50 degree temps it was sooo aggravating. -harry

Hmmm ... well, have a look at:

http://www.silva.se/outdoor/products/mns_start.htm#top

Guess the main thing going for it is robustness ... "work anytime, anywhere" sort of GPSr... but the graphics look really ancient (look at the various screen shots). It looks like it is a generation or two older than the 76S. However, in terms of $$$$, it is just as expensive! So - lousy interface screens, no mapping, clunky graphics, just as pricey .... BUT it works in the cold. Yech! Luckily, not a decision I have to make! Quite happy with the 76S for now ... though that 76CS is looking good.

I have used my 76S in the cold down to about 28 degrees, I have noticed that the screens are slow when cold. However all my GPS's are slow when its cold. The LCD in anything is always slow in cold weather. I have a cell phone that the display is almost non readable when its cold. Its just part of the territory on electronics.

Move to Florida.

(Just kiddin' ;)

I jhave the same problem with my Vista. So I keep it on a lanyard and let it hang under my coat. I pull it out when I need it. Of course I may have lost the lock but hey, you gotta make do. As said with the 76 you can use and external antenna something I can't do.

Hmm. Florida's sounding good for me too.

Alan

Edited by Alan2

Guess the main thing going for it is robustness ... "work anytime, anywhere" sort of GPSr... but the graphics look really ancient (look at the various screen shots). It looks like it is a generation or two older than the 76S. However, in terms of $$$$, it is just as expensive! So - lousy interface screens, no mapping, clunky graphics, just as pricey .... BUT it works in the cold. Yech! Luckily, not a decision I have to make! Quite happy with the 76S for now ... though that 76CS is looking good.

They totally lost me with this statement:

What is the use of trying to use a GPS during a mountain search and rescue mission, if it does not work in low temperatures, especially when taking wind chill into account?

That made me laugh out loud, since wind chill does not effect inanimate objects like a GPS.

So, the plus is it claims to work down to -13F as compared to +5F for the 76s. For that you have to live with a patch antenna, and 10hrs or less of battery life, and only 10 routes.

gps_gul_rak_small.jpg

Looks like a glorified Electronic Compass, but with Position and Distance features added, also looks like it's meant to survive the cold.

I have a 76s, I have taken it on two downhill skiing trips (to see how fast I could ski while staying in control -- 63.1 mph). I attached it to my glove to keep satellite reception. The screen did take a little longer to update (the crystals might have been cold), but it appeared to work. The first trip was to Lake Tahoe this time last year; the temperature was just above 32 df. The second trip was to Colorado this past January; the temperature was just below 32 df.

Hope this helps.