Drumroll Please!

SBPhishy

Here's a question about the inkjet paper... What happens if the keychain gets wet? Does all the ink come off or is it "baked in"?

Actually, the ink does come off in water. I use a spray on clear sealer that seals the ink in and makes them very shiny.

I can get 8 keychains out of one sheet and I think thats as good as I'm gonna get. They shrink a lot! It's not too bad though, only comes out to about 18 cents per item (not including the chain).

Those squished pennies are awesome!

I would be willing to send one to whoever wants one. the TB idea is indeed cool, but I kinda doubt it would make it!

I used to know two twins who were tiny and their nicknames were shrinky and dink :-)

Sugarpuff's cereal used to do them in cereal packets.

I wish we could get the stuff over here in the uk although from what I remember they used to stink the kitchen up something rotten.

You can get a similar (I think) product in the UK, It is called fantastic plastic and is made by Avery , The same people who make all the printer labels etc, I have made a couple of travel bugs from the stuff. You can draw on it or print on it using an inkjet printer and then shrink it in the oven. I bought it from pc world and I think it cost about £10 for 5 A4 sheets

Ok, I heard, but do not know for a fact, that you can use the plastic covers from to go tins you get from restaurants or supermarket salad bars work also. But I wouldn't test it in my good oven, I'd use my sculpy oven for a test sheet.

Edited by Planet

On the Shrinky Dink front..... I tried the regular S/D paper (not the special printer one) in an Inkjet printer b4 they came out with the compatible stuff. It works well but as it shrinks the ink in really dense areas will begin to spread to other areas. I finally had to leave a broad "white" area around areas of color so they wouldn't run into each other. The other problem is that you have to seal them with something (sealing spray or clear acrylic) or the ink NEVER dries. I made some Geo Coin type s/ds a year ago and the ink still comes off on my fingers.

Also, lower the color density on your printer. Lots of ink isn't needed. I use about 30 or 40 percent density. Also helps with the "running ink" factor.

If these new sheets work the s/d would be really cool as I really like the ones I made. The sheets fit in the printer, fed ok, and when shrunk came out to be about the thickness of a coin.

A couple of cautions though... It's hard to make perfect circles as when the s/d stuff shrinks then cools it sort of gets slightly elongated along one axis (just slightly though).

Secondly, BE SURE to punch all holes BEFORE shrinking as the stuff gets too thick to punch. A hole puncher size hole becomes perfect for a small chain.

Third, make all your cuts smooth. If you have any roughly cut edges like little straight cuts when trying to cut a circle, those cuts become more exagerated so the edges of your piece will be kind of rough and not smoothly rounded.

Fourth, experiment with time in the oven. If your s/d item begins to buckle up you can heat it a little longer and it will smooth out. If it doesn't, when it's hot try flippin it over and reheating. <_<

Yup. most of those instructions are included with the shrinky dinks. The new printer ones work great. That's what my phishies are printed on.

Another thing I would like to add that caused me to waste a bunch of shrinky dink sheets: In the instructions, it states to put the shrinky dink on a brown paper bag COLORED SIDE DOWN in the oven. Every single time, my shrinky dinks stuck to the bag, and had brown bag fibers all over them, and they do not come off at all. Finally, I decided to flip it over, and put it on a sheep of standard white printer paper. It works great. Even if they do stick a little, it's no big deal because the paper is white, so you cant see it. I don't know why they say to put the dinks colored side down. It didnt work at all, and doesnt really make sense.

We bought a Shrinky-Dinks "oven" at Wal-Mart for $10 yesterday. Forgot to buy the special lightbulb for it, so I used the regular oven. I'll have to experiment a little with my designs since I haven't used Shrinky-Dinks for 20 years.

Hobby Lobby carries both the regular paper and the inkjet paper, but is a little more expensive than the Shrinky-Dinks website. Wal-Mart only had the ovens, and those were on clearance.

Shrinky Dinks work great! We've used them to make a few Geo-things.

Made a ring out of the logo, a necklace, etc. (only 2 or 3 Groundspeak, we swearz!).

I suggest using your regular oven. I use them with my daughter and could never get the Shirnk Dink oven to actaully work right.

Good luck.

So these 8 x 10" shrink sheets - how does that work for shrinkage?

How many things can you make with one sheet, say silver dollar size?

Does the image shrink down also, or do you make the image the finished size?

Seems like maybe you cold get 6 silver dollar size medallions from one 8 x 10". Is that right?

I went to the site. Sounds like the printer ready sheets would work for me.

We bought a Shrinky-Dinks "oven" at Wal-Mart for $10 yesterday. Forgot to buy the special lightbulb for it, so I used the regular oven. I'll have to experiment a little with my designs since I haven't used Shrinky-Dinks for 20 years.

Hobby Lobby carries both the regular paper and the inkjet paper, but is a little more expensive than the Shrinky-Dinks website. Wal-Mart only had the ovens, and those were on clearance.

The SD oven isn't worth the plastic its made from. If you have an odd shape that results in your Shrinky dinks curling up funny, there is no way for you to flatten them out before they cool. There's no way to get them out. It requires you to set a two minute timer before the retrieval door unlocks.

You can get a similar (I think) product in the UK, It is called fantastic plastic and is made by Avery ,

The Team Tags you can see here are made of something similar, called "Magic Plastic" from German company "Sigel". (I have no idea about availability outside Germany...) It is to be used with ink jet printers as well.

Sigel recommends using some sort of spray coating for waterproofing that stuff as well. The only difference I know of: it's transparent, not white like the Avery "Fantastic Plastic".

Seems like maybe you cold get 6 silver dollar size medallions from one 8 x 10". Is that right?

You could probably get 6 silver-dollar size items out of an 8x10 sheet. SBPhishy made 8 keychains out of a sheet, but they are smaller than silver dollar size.

The SD oven isn't worth the plastic its made from. If you have an odd shape that results in your Shrinky dinks curling up funny, there is no way for you to flatten them out before they cool. There's no way to get them out. It requires you to set a two minute timer before the retrieval door unlocks.

True, I really bought the oven for the kids. I'll use the real oven for my own items, especially since I'll be making large batches.

Sometimes you will have a SD that curls up. You can use a knife to flatten it down while it is warm and put it back in the oven until it flattens out. This is also true of the SD oven, but I'd probably put it in the regular oven to fix it instead of waiting for the SD oven timer...that might be too long under heat.

Your cutouts will shrink down to about a third of their size. If you want a one-inch diameter circle, you will need to start with a three-inch circle. Based on that, you can figure out how many you can get to a sheet.

The shrinky dinks shrink quite a bit. I could probably get 9 of mine out of one sheet, but I didnt want to mess with the alignment. If you imagine a piece of paper, line up 9 of my keychains in rows of three, before they are shrunk, and there wouldnt really be any more room for anything on the paper. After they shrink, I could probably fit about 50 of them on a standard piece of paper. Here's a picture on a standard 8.5X11 piece of paper, with some quarters. The big one is the size before they shrink.

178480_3300.JPG

Edited by SBPhishy

SBPHISHY,

I hope you don't mind but we liked your sig item idea so much, we are gonna use the shrinky dink idea ourselves. Seriously, that is an awesome sig item. We have been trying to decide on a sig item for ourselves, we were going to use hand quilted drink coasters (Mrs. Geek quilts), but the shrinky dink keychain is cheaper, quicker, and less time consuming.

Michaels Craft stores carry the shrink paper.

PLEASE can we use your idea???!!!!! :D

Well... as long as I get royalties. :D

It's cool if anyone wants to use this (not that they were gonna ask anyway). <_<

I do appreciate your asking, and of course I don't mind at all. Maybe Shrinky Dinks will give me a discount, for getting their stuff sold!

I was in the same boat as you. I didn't know what to use for a sig item, and since I dont have that much money, I need something cheap. This worked out perfect, and I can afford to put one in every cache I find.

So, maybe we'll have some Dinks from you, some saxaphones, phishies, etc.

Just make sure you all post pictures, so I can see the Shrinky Dink Sig Item Revival that I started! <_<

We bought a package of "Ink Jet Shrink Film" (Generic version of the Shrinky Dinks Ink Jet Paper) and are having problems with it. I'm not sure if my artwork just has too much color or what. It might be that I tried making each picture too big. The first batch (6 items on one 8 1/2 by 11 inch page) curled up beyond repair. I doubled the number for the second batch and just tried one. It was much better, but I had to watch it closely and flatten it out several times with a spatula. I tried cutting off the border on the next one, then forgot I left it in the oven! It came out to be the size of a quarter, and just as thick. Slightly smaller than I wanted, but I think it was a good learning experience. I'm going to try making the 3rd sheet with more items on it and reduce the color depth. I'm trying to make Golden-Dollar size keychains for my event, in case you're wondering. I'll let you know how the next batch turns out.

Ok, I did some more experimenting. Well, I put the first batch back in the oven and forgot about them. They came out nearly perfect! I had to flatten them with a spatula, but they are all the size of a Sacajawea (sp?) dollar and as thick as a quarter. I just wasn't leaving them in the oven long enough to start with. It also helps to leave the cookie sheet in the oven between batches. They shrink much faster that way. I can print 12 of these per page (8 1/2 be 11). I think the Shrinky-Dinks brand is 8 by 10.

Hobby Lobby carries the short chains like SBPhishy's in packages of 16 for $1.99

This brand of Inkjet paper was $8.99 for 6 sheets.

just leave 'em in longer. Nothing bad will happen. I forgot mine in there once, and they didn't melt or anything. They came out just fine. I believe you can even take your bent up ones from last night, and throw them back in the oven, and they should fix themselves.

You bunch of unoriginal bastards... <_<

Edited by SBPhishy
just leave 'em in longer.  Nothing bad will happen.  I forgot mine in there once, and they didn't melt or anything. They came out just fine. I believe you can even take your bent up ones from last night, and throw them back in the oven, and they should fix themselves.

You bunch of unoriginal bastards... <_<

I officially want one of your signature items! :D

Unoriginal? Hey, wait a minute...!

Edited by joefrog

I couldn't believe it when I started reading this today! I've been experimenting with shrinky dinks for a bit now (do great GEO-minds think alike or what!) - but I've been having trouble getting my sizing right. Also, I wasn't aware that a version was available to run through the ink-jet printer - the information I saw must have been outdated because it said you couldn't do it! I've been drawing and coloring mine (and I am NO artist - which is why I am having trouble).

Yours look really cool!!! (mine have been coming out a bit odd) I am going to print this whole thread and try some of the suggestions here. I also like the sig item exchange idea - sounds like great fun!

I just tried some recycle number 6 plastic (polystyrene) from a clear bakery goods "clamshell style" container.

Saw the #6 on the container while reaching for a chocolate chip cookie. It didn't take but a minute for the container to be empty. <_<

I cut a 1.5x2.5 inch rectangle. Marked it up with some Sharpies. Popped in a 350 degree F. oven for 5 minutes. It shrunk an even 50% length and width. Looks like a great choice for small projects done freehand.

G

I'll get to the pics later <_<

The inkjet paper advertises that it shrinks to 50% of its original size.

Shrinky-Dinks (non-inkjet) say they shrink to 1/3 their original size.

You'll need to experiment a bit to get your sizes right.

If you leave your artwork in the oven for too long, it shouldn't hurt. What I've found is that my gold-dollar-size pieces remain curled up after shrinking. I flatten then with a spatula, then immediately remove them from the oven (one at a time, mind you!) I then immediately flatten them again on my counter (they aren't hot enough to damage the counter). This gives me flat circles about the size of a gold (Sacajawea) dollar.

On my first batch yesterday, I didn't leave them in long enough (I thought they would actually stick together all curled up, so I took them out.) Later, I put them back in for several minutes and they ended up how they were supposed to in the first place.

When printing, I set my printer on "Econo-Fast" so it uses less ink. The pictures shrink enough that the detail isn't lost. I also tried wetting the plastic and wiping it with a paper towel before shrinking. That removes some ink, but also changes to color depth on the finished piece. I'd suggest not using dark colors to begin with.

51240_8900.JPG

This is the first batch. I almost gave up on these, but put them back in the oven and forgot about them. They ended up ok, but were a little larger than I wanted (I only printed 6 per sheet on this batch)

51240_9000.JPG

The second batch, I tried 12 per sheet

51240_9100.JPG

The second batch final product. You can see that it is slightly larger than a quarter. I'd like them just a bit bigger, but I'll only be able to fit 8 or 9 per sheet instead of 12 if I do that.

Well... as long as I get royalties. :D 

It's cool if anyone wants to use this (not that they were gonna ask anyway). :D

About a year and a half ago, we put out about 50 shrinky dink sig items in local caches. So there was prior art... <_< We also put out Marky and Joani trading cards. :D

--Marky

When printing, some printers allow you to specify light or heavy ink usage. You might want to check your printer's control panel and see if there is a setting for printing with lighter ink volume. That will work better for shrinky dinks. Also, when printing at higher quality/resolution, less ink is sometimes used by the printer. Something to experiment with.

This thread has turned into the shrinky dink thread. But strangely, it keeps growing. <_<

--Marky

The second batch final product. You can see that it is slightly larger than a quarter. I'd like them just a bit bigger, but I'll only be able to fit 8 or 9 per sheet instead of 12 if I do that.

What did you do for the holes? Punch them out before baking or drill them afterwards?

I used a standard-size hole punch before shrinking. It would be possible to drill a hole afterwards, but I happened to have a hole-puncher handy. I would recommend doing it this way instead of drilling.

Definitely use a hole punch before. If you use the 1/4 inch standard hole punch, the holes come out perfect for a chain.

About a year and a half ago, we put out about 50 shrinky dink sig items in local caches. So there was prior art...  We also put out Marky and Joani trading cards.

I know about previous shrinky dink usage. I was just messin' around!

Here's what I made for keychains:

WWIJDPhoto.jpg

This won't be my signature item, but just another fun goody to put in caches.

The material I got was made by Grafix, and I'm not very pleased with it. The sheet turns yellow and wrinkles very easily if you leave it in the oven for too long. It also took me a while to figure out which side to print on since they're not marked (luckily I was able to clean off the sheet using a wet paper towel so I didn't waste them). They also shrink a lot more than indicated on the package.. the 1/4" hole punch shrank so much I had to use a drill to open it up for the chain to go through it. And it wrinkles like nobody's business... I had to flatten them all using a spatula after taking them out of the oven. I'd gladly pay an extra $5 for material that doesn't behave like this. :lol:

I posted this on the Shrinky Dink thread but in case anyone's following this one instead:

Back at Summer Fun we used to use the styrofoam trays supermarkets use to pack meat (white tray), fish (blue tray), chicken (yellow tray) to make "Shrinky-Dink-like" items. I'm pretty sure we just used regular coloring pens and then we put them into the toaster oven and watched them shrink before our eyes. Of course, if you weren't careful with them you could snap them in half.

Someone at Hobby Lobby screwed up! They marked a package of the Ink Jet shrink film at $3.99!!! Six sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 white for less than half price! (Far be it from me to point out their mistake) :D

They also had non-inkjet film for the same price. Not bad, considering the Shrinky-Dinks brand is $9.99 for the inkjet variety and the generic stuff is usually $8.99

:):):D