Drumroll Please!

SBPhishy

Whats a 'Shrinky Dink'?

It's a piece of plastic that looks like a thick transparancy foil which is rough on one side. You can color on the rough side, usually with colored pencils, then you cut out your drawing.

Put it in the oven at low heat and it shrinks down to 1/3 the size and nine times the thickness, leaving you with a pretty durable plastic trinket that you can do things with.

More info is here...

Well, I've got a kid and I hadn't heard of Shrinky Dinks prior to coming to the forums :)

Do they make that stuff flexible enough to run through a printer? We're ready to graduate beyond Sculpy now B)

Read the FAQ here. I have keychains that I use for a sig item which I ran through a copier for the outline, then colored them in by hand. I also tried running them through a color laserwriter, but the heat from the printer actually started the shrinking process, so I probably won't be trying that again... :unsure:

Here in Wisconsin we have a place called Nasco, it's an arts/crafts supply house. You can order 'shrinky dink' material from them as well.

Go to their website at www.enasco.com and in the upper left corner there will be a search box where you can enter a part number... enter this number:

This might be easier for those without nearby access to shrinky dinks...

Hope this helps! =)

-bjs539

Edited by bjs539
Here in Wisconsin we have a place called Nasco, it's an arts/crafts supply house. You can order 'shrinky dink' material from them as well.

Go to their website at www.enasco.com and in the upper left corner there will be a search box where you can enter a part number... enter this number:

This might be easier for those without nearby access to shrinky dinks...

Hope this helps! =)

-bjs539

Actually, I think the company that makes them is based in Wisconsin. At least that's what I gather from their ordering/contact address...

Yup, in Fort Atkinson actually. They have a retail store thats pretty neat to browse around in, especially if you have kids =). I just figured that the website might make ordering the stuff easier for people who can't find the stuff locally. If you ever get up towards Madison on Hwy 12 you should make it a point to stop by and check it out, really neat place. =)

-bjs539

Alright. I'm finally awake this morning.

Do they make that stuff flexible enough to run through a printer?

Those are run thru the printer. I actually have no artistic talent unless I can do it on the computer. There is a new kind of shriky dinks that are for ink jet printers. They come out looking like mine.

Also, I ordered them from shrinkydinks.com

They have everything. Chains and hole punchers too. You can definitely find them at craft stores though.

The printer ones are neat. You can print a real picture on them, and turn them into a keychain or whatever.

I'm 21 years old, and I remember playing with them when I was little. THey have definitely been around forever though.

I used to have ghostbuster ones... :unsure:

I'm glad you all like them!

FREE SHRINKY DINKS!!!!

Well, sort of. Basically, anything that is labeled as recycle 6 plastic_ps6.gif plastic will shrink. The results vary, and are interesting to experiment with. The best results are from the clear flat area on the lids of common clear salad togo containers. For kicks, see what happens when you shrink pieces of plastic soda cups. The results are interesting. We had some shrinky dink sig trade items we made for a while, but now we have the smashed pennies so we haven't made any of the shrinky dinks in a long time. Use an oven temp of 250 degrees F and keep a watchful eye on them. (Heck, 90% of the fun is watching them shrink, right?)

If the surface of the material you find is smooth or glossy, you might want to rough it up with a very fine sand paper so that it holds the color better when you draw on it.

I believe Joani has had some success with printing on shrinky dink pages with an ink jet printer (I'm not positive about this though). Definitely don't use a laser printer. :unsure:

Nice item SBPhishy!

Good info Marky! Thanks!

I thought about making some shrinky dink items too. I doubt I will inkjet print them though because the fun for me is the process of hand coloring them. I think I will try Marky's suggestion too. Sounds like a fun experiment!

Edited by carleenp

I love the TB idea!!! Maybe it could be a signature item trade T/B. You could start out by attaching several of your key chains with the idea that people could take one of yours if they add one of theirs. Mine are glass nuggets with my dogs picture and my caching name on them. At this point...I couldn't attach one to a T/B but certainly could figure out a way. I just love to find a log post that says someone took my sig item!!! Sorry if it's an old stale idea....those are REALLY cute fish and I would love to have one too so you'll have to ship one of those T/B's to Arizona.

Well, I've got a kid and I hadn't heard of Shrinky Dinks prior to coming to the forums B)

Do they make that stuff flexible enough to run through a printer?  We're ready to graduate beyond Sculpy now :unsure:

Hey, don't give up on the Sculpey!!!

These are my new trade items, and there will be a mess of them at the St Valentine's Day M.A.S.S.A.C.R.E. Event :

planetfaces.jpg

Nice trade item SBphishy!

Edited by Planet
You what would be pretty nifty - a signature item exchange web page. I'm not sure how it would work but the general idea being that you could order sig items from cachers all over the globe.

:unsure:

That would be pretty neat. Some people might look at it as cheating, but I think it would be fun

Edited by The Weasel
You what would be pretty nifty - a signature item exchange web page. I'm not sure how it would work but the general idea being that you could order sig items from cachers all over the globe.

;)

That would be pretty neat. Some people might look at it as cheating, but I think it would be fun

It would be neat, but somehow it is not the same if the item is not gotten from a cache. I was just about to fire off my address to Marky and ask for a smashed penny, but then thought of that.

;)

It would be neat, but somehow it is not the same if the item is not gotten from a cache. I was just about to fire off my address to Marky and ask for a smashed penny, but then thought of that.

:( I agree in a way to that...but when it comes to sig items from different countries it would be VERY difficult to get one. I don't do a whole lot of traveling and this would be a cool way to do it.

I have tried the "unoffical" TB approach with a VACMAN sig coin, but a cacher by the name of POKEYJOE decided that they wanted it more.

Maybe we should do cacher trading cards that are like baseball cards with you hides and finds for each year!!

Nice item SBPhishy!

Good info Marky! Thanks!

I thought about making some shrinky dink items too. I doubt I will inkjet print them though because the fun for me is the process of hand coloring them. I think I will try Marky's suggestion too. Sounds like a fun experiment!

The printer is helpful for the black lines, just to help keep the size and style consistent. My keychains (sorry, no picture) start out as just the black on the shrinky dink paper, then I give them to my kids to color in, so each one is different.

Those are run thru the printer.  I actually have no artistic talent unless I can do it on the computer. There is a new kind of shriky dinks that are for ink jet printers.  They come out looking like mine.

Here's a question about the inkjet paper...

What happens if the keychain gets wet? Does all the ink come off or is it "baked in"?

As far as I remember, the ink is 'baked in'. I'm going to stop by Hobby Lobby on my way home to compare prices. The inkjet paper online was $8.50 for 6 sheets. The regular frosted parer is $5.00 for 10 sheets.

SBPhishy, how many keychains did you make with each sheet?

About 30 years ago when I was in cub scouts, our den leader had us save the plastic sheets that were used as packing within a new shirt package. There was usually a large sheet about 8X10 in the body of the shirt and a strip of plastic around the collar of the shirt. After we had saved enough we drew pictures on them by tracing cookie cutters and permanent markers. They we cut them out and shrunk them in the oven. We gave them to our parents as christmas tree ornaments. I still have one from way back then in our christmas decorations...

Another comment... Shrinkage. Whenever we go water skiing in the summer, the first person jumps in the water and we all say "How cold is it?!". The jumper yells back "Seinfeld cold!" :( .

Shrink plastic would be a good idead to use to attach to a TB for the goal sheet. Print it with a large font with the ink jet then when it shrinks it is a perfect size to attach to the chain with the dog tag and TB, and is water proof! ;)

Kirk out, aka Search1128