Us Topo 24k - West Vs Us Topo

slinger91

You could use both. ANother option is what I do. I have Mapsourse topo with the 100 K that covers 100% of the entire US - all 50 states. I then bought National Geographic Topo ( for the northeast, you would get the Washington State maps, a one state series costing 99.00) ) that gives me printouts in 24K for any areas I will be caching in. NG also has a nice service where you can download trails already routed by others and load them into your maps and GPS. Check MapxChange on their website. There's probably 75 trails already listed for Washington State.

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/

Good luck

ALan

Edited by Alan2

I may be wrong about the realtime tracking. It may only work with their Earthmate® GPS receiver.

From their "more info" page:

"Connect the DeLorme Earthmate® GPS receiver (available separately) to a laptop PC and track your position in real-time on 2-D and 3-D maps"

But you should still be able to hook up your 60C and upload/download tracks, routes and waypoints:

"Use the new GPS waypoint wizard to upload routes to popular handheld GPS receivers. You can even route on trails and roads you’ve drawn or collected with GPS—it’s the ultimate in modern mapping! Works with Garmin, Brunton, Magellan, and other leading brands."

You cannot load NG Topo maps into Garmin GPSrs. You could only use it to exchange routes, waypoints and view tracks on the computer.

That's true. I guess my post wasn't clear about the printing portion.

What I do is print the 24K portion with the routes and waypoints on the map. I have the Garmin topo portion at 100K in my Vista. It's easy then to compare where you are in the Vista to the printed 24K map. One additional thing you can do is print out the NG Topo map with UTM grids, switch the GPS to UTM [position instead of DD MM>MMM and then find your spot from the UTM coordinates. The thing I lkike about the paper printout is ITS BIG. You can see it. The Vista's display is pretty tiny, not in color so I doubt if seeing 24K rather than 100K will help much. There's nothing like a printed color topo map!.

Thanks though for reminding us only manufacturer's maps will load in their receivers.

Alan

Also, if you have your GPSr hooked up to a laptop, you can use the laptop screen for a realtime moving map display.

That's true. You don't need Earthmate. Garmin's Mapsourse will track my position when I hook up my Garmin Vista. Third party software like Delorme SA 2003 and 2004 and many others will do the same thing. In fact, that's how they route for you and tell you where to turn in real-time mode.

Good luck

Alan

Edited by Alan2
I'm just getting started collecting maps. I have a Garmin 60C. What will this product do for me?

http://www.delorme.com/topousa/default.asp

The level of detail will be about the same as Mapsource Topo but at least with the Garmin product you can put the maps on your GPS.

Now Detailed Topo 1:24000 based on the USGS quads is another thing and you can't get the for your GPS (Except for national parts as was mentioned). You get it for your destop PC though and they are very nice programs.