What do you do if you're discovered hiding the cache?

HangGlider

Found our third cache today! We were shadowed the whole time we were in the park by another person (who knows? maybe another 'cacher'?). We tried to be discrete, but this person came by while we had the cache open (15 yds from it's hiding place). I stationed a lookout when I went to put the cache back in its hiding place, but the person re-appeared on another trail (there are several trails into this location). Not sure if he figured out what was going on, or if he saw where the cache was hidden. How do you handle being discovered when recovering or returning a cache?

Well, if you're flat out caught, the only thing to do is explain the game and hope for a convert! I got caught flatfooted once. Explained the game, showed off the cache, gave him my e-mail, and gave him the geocaching printout. I never heard from him, but the cache remains secure 4 months later.

Once when we suspected we'd been spotted by some kids we took the cache with us and picked up trash until the kids left the park, then put the cache back.

You're wise to post a lookout and to move away from the hiding spot to sign the log. A towel can quickly hide the cache making it look like a picnic.

I've also heard about the 'make out' as a diversionary technique (assuming you're with your significant other), but I haven't tried it myself (yet) :} (we're usually caching with kids, so it would look a little weird!).

On more than one occasion I have put my GPS to my ear and started speaking into it as a diversion when I have heard people approaching. Another time people showed up while I was signing the log book of a cache that was wrapped in a garbage bag, so I actually started picking up trash and dropping it into the bag until they left. (Naturally I removed the trash and disposed of it properly when the coast was clear.) icon_smile.gif

On more than one occasion I have put my GPS to my ear and started speaking into it as a diversion when I have heard people approaching. Another time people showed up while I was signing the log book of a cache that was wrapped in a garbage bag, so I actually started picking up trash and dropping it into the bag until they left. (Naturally I removed the trash and disposed of it properly when the coast was clear.) icon_smile.gif

I use the Men In Black memory zapper.

But most of the time it depends on who it is,if its kids I'll take it with me and return when the coast is clear. Usually I look like i'm having lunch drinking water and reading the log book, people think I'm just resting my bones sittin there while not looking suspicious. I like the more remote caches anyway..

Head in a hat, hair in a ponytail, compass around my neck, and GPS receiver in hand, I make a pretty good image of a grad student doing environmental research. A few comments about looking for a geodetic survey point and they usually do a "Um, yeah, whatever" and get moving. icon_wink.gif

Head in a hat, hair in a ponytail, compass around my neck, and GPS receiver in hand, I make a pretty good image of a grad student doing environmental research. A few comments about looking for a geodetic survey point and they usually do a "Um, yeah, whatever" and get moving. icon_wink.gif

I usually just take off all my clothes and run around in a circle. This distracts them from the cache and they usually run away. There's also an added bonus in that you've just added an extra star or two off difficulty because you have to get dressed and get back to your car before the cops arrive.

(JUST KIDDING!)

I've done the cell phone trick when I stopped to a break, due to a park staff person following me in their truck. I like the idea of claiming that you are doing a Geodatic survey and I thought the fishing story and the parakeet were very funny. If I'm being followed I will slow down to a slow stroll and stop and enjoy the scenery as if I am on a nature hike(which I am). Forcing anyone who follows me to pass. When looking for the actual cache I make sure that the people I am with avoid shouting " found it" and just call for me by name.

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

I usually just take off all my clothes and run around in a circle. This distracts them from the cache and they usually run away.

Infosponge,

Good one!!

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

I used the 'I'm Looking for geodetic survey marker' bit more then once when I had my GPS. Heck I even used once while I was just in a park playing with my GPS.

After you given them enough infomation to make them feel more clueless then before they asked. They just look at you a moment, shrug thier shoulders then walk away.

I've even took advantage of a Insect Trap placed by a local collage the last time I went to do a Maintence check on one of my caches. The trap is hanging about 100 ft from the cache so when some askes me what I doing I mention the trap then act surprised as I spot it over thier shoulder. they turn see the large notice attached to it and walk away.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

I was doing a survey for a multi-cache and a guy noticed me going from place to place, stopping and taking averaged readings.

He approached me and asked (jokingly) if I was from that commercial where the cell phone tech keeps on moving and saying "can you hear me".

I said: "yeah, something like that". Another one of my snappy responses.