Swag Trash Or Treasure

Scout Master

bfe76902-7370-4d05-b2c5-2bff373e47c7.jpg

I just loaded up on swag from a local thrift store. I would like to hear what other cachers think of this kind of stuff in caches. New these kind of toys would probably average a buck or so I obviously paid much less than that per item, but most of them are in good condition. So the question is Fair trades of Not.

More SWAG etymology: I work in the bicycling industry, and have heard this term used for more than ten years, usually at races and trade shows where vendors are giving stuff away. Over time it's pronunciation has changed slightly (too make it more cool?) to "schwag." As in, "dude, go check out the Shimano booth, they just hooked me up with some schwag." Here is an explanation from Bay Area Paragliding Assoc

Thanks to Travis Roth for pointing out that the original spelling is "swag" (for Stuff We All Get). Usually swag/schwag refers to free stuff with a logo on it, but has come to also be used for logo stuff that you have to pay for (like BAPA stuff). A little web research has revealed that there is definitely a widespread use of the term, but no real consensus on the "correct" spelling. One site explained "schwag is what the coolest of the cool people say" and another site indicated it's "called schwag if the item is particularly good." So, I'm sticking with "schwag" (maybe it's just my Jewish grandmother's Yiddish influence...).

Yup, the stuff likes fine to me...although I would only put it in caches that are likely to be visited by kids. In other words, don't put it in a 5/5 cache :unsure:

I, personally, don't care for the term "swag" (or even "schwag", for that matter). It's too general, and doesn't refer specifically enough to geocaching, as evidenced by the above variety of definitions. The term I use is "Geo-Loot". But that's just me, so you can throw some swag at me if you'd like! (Although I'd rather you throw Geo-Loot!)B)

Yup, the stuff likes fine to me...although I would only put it in caches that are likely to be visited by kids. In other words, don't put it in a 5/5 cache ;)

I, personally, don't care for the term "swag" (or even "schwag", for that matter). It's too general, and doesn't refer specifically enough to geocaching, as evidenced by the above variety of definitions. The term I use is "Geo-Loot". But that's just me, so you can throw some swag at me if you'd like! (Although I'd rather you throw Geo-Loot!):(

As long as it's "geo loot" and not "geo DOOT" hehehe ;)

"Swag" is usually referred to as "stuff you put into a cache" when you start one...at least that is what I have gathered, from reading the Forums.

I think that what Scout Master really means is: "Trade Items"

Correct me if I am wrong.........

"Schwag"(notice the yiddish spelling), back in the Grateful Dead touring days always had a bad connotation. It was stuff that was considered bad, or junk. In direct opposition to "kind" which had the implication that it was really, really good.

Usage:

"Oh, he didn't have any imported beers, all he had was schwag"

or

"I'll trade my bus for an ounce of the kind"

In direct opposition to "kind" which had the implication that it was really, really good.

"I'll trade my bus for an ounce of the kind"

Yeah, but there's really only one thing that can be referred to as 'kind,' right bud? ;)

I mean, how cool would you look if you said "I just traded for a kind McToy!" :(

Until they are either broken or disgustingly dirty, I think these are fine cache items.

Exactly! I personally wouldn't trade for them but my son loves that kind of stuff.

I prefer coins and patches and stuff like that. My alltime favorite is smileys, though.

Happy caching and stuff! ;)

back in the Grateful Dead touring days always had a bad connotation

Shwag (or however you spell it) is still used quite frequently to describe less than decent stuff. "Kind" is also still used. Those terms arent dead yet.

And I should know!

Because... um... my friend is into that sort of stuff... :unsure::lol:

Edited by SBPhishy