"recovered" Markers

family0fnine

What exactly does it mean when a mark is recovered? Does it mean it has been replaced? Will it state if it's been replaced? I was reading marker DU2168 and the recovery comments mention that they found a 4' irrigation ditch where the station used to be. It doesn't say destroyed or anything but could it/was it replaced?

If NGS states it was recovered then the benchmark was there on the date it was recovered. If conditions have remained the same then the benchmark should still be there. If there has been any construction in the area it is possible the mark was disturbed. If the last recovery was quite a long time ago the mark may have gotten covered over with dirt and other debris.

Recovered means someone went there and looked at the disk. They did NOT remove the disk.

Resets are done when a mark needs to be moved from its position for some reason, usually construction of some sort. The reset is usually a "new" disk that is stamped with the same designation and the word "reset".

How's this reply?

John

...it's beginning to look like the NGS calls any report other than Destroyed (Good, Not Found, Needs Maintance, etc) a Recovery report.

I do believe that this is a correct evaluation. When one files a report on a "found" mark, they call it a "Mark Recovery Entry". If the thing has been destroyed, they ask that you not file an MRE (their MRE, not the Army's type ;) ), but e-mail Deb Brown, instead, with the information.

I may be wrong, but I believe that in surveying, the use of a station is called "recovery". By "use" I mean putting a transit/theodolite/whatever above the station, measuring the distance from the light in the device to the disk, and then making some meaningful measurement of the distance to another spot on the landscape. When one reads an entry that says somethng about "distance of light above disk was...", that's what they are refering to. My dad was an architect, and I learned a lot from him, but I've also forgotten a lot, too, so my explanation here may be off :(