a cache idea not fit for all ages

katybird

I am still learning about FINDING caches, but I'm already planning ideas for PLANTING them - frankly, I think I'll enjoy that the most. I want to get better with the GPS thing before I attempt it, as well as learn more about what people like/expect.

Anyway, I've got a few ideas - one is a surprising little glen two blocks from my house full of deer and general prettiness. Another is a gorgeous scenic vista at a historic site that, surprisingly, hasn't been done here.

However, there is one site in the area that is both interesting for "nice" reasons - it's a fascinating rural church that dates back to the days of early settlers, a bit off the beaten path - and for a VERY macabre reason: it featured heavily in one of the most gruesome and notorious murders in Cincinnati history. It's somewhat of interest to me, as I grew up not far from the site, and the perp was one of my father's HS students. It was a satanic ritual slaying, and just reading about it tonight creeped the marmalade right out of me.

Is there any appropriate way to do a cache at this site that acknowleges this aspect of its history? Can one warn cachers that, if they bring their tykes along, they might not want to read ALL of the historical information aloud?

It's tempting to do something that highlites it - much like those Jack The Ripper guided walks/pub crawls in London. OTOH, it IS rather disrespectful to the victim (although she WAS a member of the satanic cult that killed her). Would it be too "Blair Witchy" and attract the wrong sorts of people? I know people like to visit the site of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, and there's a restaurant in Rome that is right where Julius Ceasar was assasinated, but is this just too dadgum creepy?

[This message was edited by katybird on July 03, 2003 at 10:54 PM.]

sounds great to me but then we are a little weird over here in oz. We got folk over here that like going geocaching in the nude hey wait wait wait I gotta good one, why dont you combine horror and nudity and call it the vouyer cache or something.

sounds great to me but then we are a little weird over here in oz. We got folk over here that like going geocaching in the nude hey wait wait wait I gotta good one, why dont you combine horror and nudity and call it the vouyer cache or something.

I'd say that some people would find it interesting...myself included. I'm into the more off-beat history....the kind of stuff that isn't in the text books and is more locally known. Either way I would say if you decided to set the cache up, make sure to warn folks that it may no be fit for youngsters. I would put it on there several times, and a few times in big bold letters to make sure people see the notice.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

Thanks! I'll get around to it sometime this summer. I DEFINITELY have to take someone with me so I don't get too creeped out.

From what I can tell, there aren't any geocaches there, yet. It's so rural, that it doesn't have an address, so nailing down a zip code is hard - but nothing for the zips of nearby towns turned up anything.

I did find that there's a letterbox hidden there - possibly someone who does both will enjoy that.

For curious readers: There was a wedding there on Valentines Day back in the 80's. A couple of kids went back into the woods and discovered a pair of freshly severed legs wearing fancy fringed cowboy boots. icon_redface.gif Investigators were able to confirm the identity of a missing 21-year-old waitress by finding the store that sold her the custom boots. She was friends/ex something of this idiot who was a "satanic priest" who got tired of her, lured her to his trailor - which was painted black and had an altar made of a stolen victorian tombstone - and shot her in the back of the head as she knelt at the altar. He drained her blood, which he kept, then severed her legs and dumped them near the church in order to desecrate it. The rest of her body was never found.

The spookier the better! As much as I believe in caching being a family activity, not ALL caches need to meet this criteria. I would just make sure you post a note stating that folks may wish to avoid bringing their kids to this one or like you said earlier, leave out the spooky history.

Kar

quote:
Originally posted by utedude:

IN the NUDE???

icon_confused.gifI'm waaaaay too paranoid about ticks, chiggers, and poison ivy for that! Actually, I was at my second find, when I read in the log book "I've never seen so much poison ivy in one place." I looked around me and saw that I was surrounded by "leaves of three." Figured I ought to get online and refresh my Girl Scout training ASAP! Spent last night reading about poison ivy and ticks. Am now tempted to stick to urban microcaches. LOL!

I almost exclusively cache with my wife and kids (ages 7, 4, 2 and 5 mos). My take on this kind of cache is DONT SURPRISE ME! It is up to me to research the cache and not just go with the coordinates. I would like to see the grizzly story on the cache page (or at least linked too) and not in the cache itself. That way if I end up hunting for it - I was forewarned and don't end up having my kids read it and freak out. I think it would be a very interesting cache and would probably go with the family but without the kids knowing the full story.

=========

"The Road goes ever on and on, out form the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, Let others follow it who can!"