Real Time Gps On A Laptop

So I have been looking at some old threads and trying to figure this out as best I can.

I want to be able to connect my GPSr (MeriGold) to my laptop for real time (in the car) navigation. So I can see my current position at all times on the laptop screen. As well as follow routes set up by the software.

From other posts, it looks like 'MS trips and streets' and Delorme's Street atlas can do this. Is this correct?

If so, does anyone care to rate either or both products. Does the regular serial cable work for this application?

Thanks

Joe

I use M$ MapPoint w/the AGPS (Advanced GPS) addin. Works like a charm. I've never used S&T, so I can't say what the differences are between it and MapPoint.

I have two Delorme products, Street Atlas USA and AAA Map-N-Go. Both are VERY old - at least 6 years. They do have some GPS capability, but I think they only work with Delorme's Earthmate receiver. Keep in mind that these are old versions - the new ones probably work just fine with other GPSrs. Since I became a MSDN subcriber, I've received MapPoint with my subscription so I haven't had a reason to upgrade my Delorme products.

As long as your Magellan supports the NMEA protocol (probably does), you should be able to use any GPS aware application.