Usb Serial Adapter

dencor

I would like to get a USB Serial adapter to use with my laptop, and Magellan Meriplat.

I have seen prices from $112, to $29. Magellan has one for $42.

I was wondering if any one works better than another, and what is a good source at a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Frank

I have a refurbished Belkin for $12 + S/H, works great with my garmin geko 201 and dell 1100

paste the link below as ONE line.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=137355

specs:

USB PDA Adapter (Refurbished)

Part # F5U109rw

This product has been restored to the exact original specifications by Belkin.

This product comes with the same manufacturer warranty and technical support as new products.

Refurbished items have been returned to us for various reasons: use in field tests, use in sales displays, and cancellations. They are then cleaned, quality checked and tested.

Refurbished products are not available to resellers.

Due to fluctuating supplies of refurbished parts, Belkin cannot guarantee the ship date for orders containing refurbished parts. You will be notified via email when your order is shipped.

Handheld PC users like their info handy, within reach and easily accessible at all times. Keeping in touch with clients and remembering important meetings is vital.The Belkin USB Serial Adapter provides one DB9 Serial Port and is the easiest and most convenient way to connect your handheld personal digital assistant to your PC or Macintosh computer.

Attach your PDA to your PC through USB. Transfer data or perform HotSync® functions quicker with Plug-and Play convenience. Eliminates need to attach, re-attach, and install your serial mouse.

Advantages

• Status LEDs monitor data transfer activity

• Works with PalmPilot organizers and other popular handheld PDAs

• Lifetime Warranty

• Plug-and-Play simplicity: The DB9 Serial Port of the built-in device cable connects to the PDA and the USB connector connects to the computer.

• Completely portable- weighs an astounding 1.8oz.

• Built-in USB Device Cable

• Compatible with Windows® Me, Windows® 98, Windows® 2000, Windows XP, and Mac® up to OS 9.xx

• Compatible with any of the Wireless Belkin Internet Connection Kits

I started looking today for the same reasons. No serial on my laptop. I found a different belkin.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=139766

Which is the only one that I know of that does 5-bit FSK. Quite frankly I'm not sure that's important to a GPS or most legacy Serial Devices but it's important in the Ham Radio world where they actually use the entire ability of the Serial chip that controls the port.

It's bulkier and so I'll probably go with the cable belkin. It would be nice to know if it also supports the 5-bit FSK.

Why do I always find relevant info after I have ordered what I need? I need to hook my MeriColor to my iPAQ. SO I just paid the $40+ for what I need (I hope). The only comfort is that Magellan is pretty good about delivering what is needed when you need it. Ah, well, at least I can send it bask if it doesn't (+S/H)...

Wouldnt it be better to get a USB SD Card reader? No slams please! *gulp*

You could for adding software, but with a serial adapter you can hook the GPS to your laptop for ther uses, such as in car navigation.

Off topic a bit, but if someone can “markwell” this, that would be great. I did a search for “gps and laptop” and found nothing.

How do you use a GPSr and laptop, together, for navigation? It would be great to use the larger screen, for the sake of my passenger/co-pilot’s eyesight.

What, if any, additional software is needed? You know, everything that is needed.

MeriGold w/firmware 5.xx

Thanks in advance

I tried the Belkin cable to connect my Garmin III GPS to my new laptop which lacks a serial port. The Belkin caused my laptop to freeze every time I attached it -- even after installing the included software. Anybody know of any other method to connect to a laptop without a serial port? Is there a PCMCIA card that provides a serial port?

Wayne

Off topic a bit, but if someone can “markwell” this, that would be great. I did a search for “gps and laptop” and found nothing.

How do you use a GPSr and laptop, together, for navigation? It would be great to use the larger screen, for the sake of my passenger/co-pilot’s eyesight.

What, if any, additional software is needed? You know, everything that is needed.

MeriGold w/firmware 5.xx

Thanks in advance

Well, first you get a program like Microsoft Streets and Trips, Delorme Street Atlas or something like that, that'll accept input from your GPS. Then, if your laptop only has USB ports, you get a serial to USB cable, so you can hook your GPS to your laptop. Open the mapping program, and find the option for "GPS Tracking". It'll pop an icon on your screen showing your location. Since these programs do auto routing, you can input the address you want to head for, input your starting location, click the "get directions" type button, and follow the highlighted route.

Just out of curiousity, could any one point out how (or where to find info on) wiring one up yourself. I don't really care to buy a $60 serial to usb cable from Garmin & could probably put one together faster & cheaper than I could order one.

- Pyre Flos

what you really need is the drivers, the cable is nothing.

I have been using a SIIG unit for about 6 months and it works great paid under $30.00 for it with the drivers :D

Just out of curiousity, could any one point out how (or where to find info on) wiring one up yourself. I don't really care to buy a $60 serial to usb cable from Garmin & could probably put one together faster & cheaper than I could order one.

- Pyre Flos

It's not that simple. You'd have to locate the custom chips that do the real grunt work of protocol translation. (It's not just a cable. The electronics are just compact enough to fit in the plug. And it's not just a level translator like many serial adapters.)

You're better off buying a cheap one then trying to buil it yourself.

I tried the Belkin cable to connect my Garmin III GPS to my new laptop which lacks a serial port. The Belkin caused my laptop to freeze every time I attached it -- even after installing the included software. Anybody know of any other method to connect to a laptop without a serial port? Is there a PCMCIA card that provides a serial port?

Wayne

Mine defaults to the same I/O's as the touchpad. Start troubleshooting there.

Everytime it recieves a co-ordinate from the GPS, the mouse cursor goes off the screen.