Cachers Near/in Newberg,or?

Team Benhamtroll

Heya. You may have seen my post elsewhere, but I'd interested in getting started with geocaching, but I'm having a hard time convincing my wife to let me shell out the money for a decent GPS for a hobby that may fizzle out.

So, I was hoping to maybe hook up with some local cachers and try it out. Maybe get my wife interested as well so that she'll let me buy my GPS.

PedalFast is from Newberg, along with DocWMB and OurWebStop, I think... We go through there on our way to the ancestral homelands every once in awhile and we have a few caches out toward Sheridan.

When we started caching we used a loaner receiver, and then we talked Zzzoey's employer into buying one that we could basically call our own... There's always a way to cache, you just have to be resourceful. B)

And as for geocaching fizzling out... B)

:unsure: Very, very doubtful :huh:

Heh. Exactly. I've been wanting to get a t-shirt made with the picture on it, but it's been difficult. He's hanging in my dining room right now.

Hopefully I'll be out caching in the next few weeks, since my wife has given tacit approval for a GPS. I need to start bugging my friend about his. Maybe he'll let me pay in installments, since I have two weeks to move my entire household, which generally equates to spending a bunch more money than if you have a month or more . . . grrr. . . .

If you had been geocaching long enough you could've probably posted an event cache and had the stuff moved in a day  :D

PDXMM... that is a FANTASTIC IDEA!!! I am moving my stuff out of storage in Hillsboro to lands unknown (Salem). It will be on Feb28 (day after my birthday). I offer pizza and beer to those who help with the Hillsboro side. *PLUS*: you might spy something in my junkpile that just might be part of an future event (shameless plug?).

And, benhamtroll, as for loosing intest.. I think you might be surprized how addicting this little activity is... <_< Gimme a email sometime, I will cache with ya.

You can always try caching without a GPSr too. I've seen folks attempt to do it using only mapping programs and the hint. Some have some bit of luck with it as well.

If you wanted to get your wife interested, drag her along on someone's cache (don't tell her you've previously emailed the cache owner and gotten explicit instrcutions on how to find it) and let her make the find!

Besides getting you all out of the house and exercising, you can use Geocaching in general to teach your child about maps, geography, satellites, etc.

We've got a 6 year old who is tracking one of her travel bugs. It was released in central Oregon, has been to South Africa and is now on it's way to New Zealand. A cheap world map and some stickers and what better way to teach her what a small world this is? How much more convincing would your wife need?

Also try www.gotcache.com for the home of Emerald Valley Geocachers (cachers along the I-5 corridor).