Politics & Geocaching

Go JayBee

Just an observation folks........ :unsure:B)

Noticed one of the posters of the forums, has a remark in their signature relating to who ought to be elected in 2004. IMHO this is not the place to advertise this.

A rule I always follow: If you want to get along with the folks you work with and keep your freinds, Don't discuss Politics, Religion, or Sex. B):huh:B)

JayBee

So far I've hit all three today at work. We also hit money and the environment before lunch. After lunch it's going to be 'public safety'. The day isn't over there is lots of potential for some good debates.

Bush Once More for 04.

P.S. I work in a liberal environment as one of the few conservatives. Don't they have minority status for that?

Just an observation folks........ :unsure:B)

Noticed one of the posters of the forums, has a remark in their signature relating to who ought to be elected in 2004. IMHO this is not the place to advertise this.

A rule I always follow: If you want to get along with the folks you work with and keep your freinds, Don't discuss Politics, Religion, or Sex. B):huh:B)

JayBee

But I doubt it will stir up as much controversy as the Magellon/Garmin debate.

I don't think this is the place for forum debates about religion, politics, etc. Threads on those topics will quickly get closed. But I see something in a person's signature or avatar as different. The person isn't necessarily using that to start a forum discussion on it. Instead it is kind of like a bumper sticker on a car. It tells you something about the person. Also note that if nothing political was allowed in signature lines, then religion should apply too. At that point, I can think of a decent number of signature lines that would have to change. Oh and you mentioned sex too. There goes some more signatures! :unsure:

Edited by carleenp

well, on the one hand, i'm in favor of free speech (civil libertarian). i'm also in favor of keeping the discussions here to geocaching related topics, because although we have many things upon which we do not agree, there is this one thing that brings us together.

and as far as i'm concerned, what brings us together always trumps what separates us.

I don't know who you are talking about or who they are showing support for. And I really don't want to know. It really does not matter.

I can't see a problem with it being in the signature line. I think that is the place to place ones opinions or observations. Much like you have in yours. And as someone said earlier it is not much different than a bumper sticker. And I would not have a problem if it was part of somebody's avatar either.

I think that becomes a very slippery slope. I think if those sort of things are not allowed it opens the door to anything that might be in the sig line that someone may not agree with. I have a long list of statements in peoples sig lines that I don't agree with would those people have to remove them also? I don't think they should have to, but if that door is going to be opened then I think a whole lot of people are going to rush through it.

The person isn't necessarily using that to start a forum discussion on it. Instead it is kind of like a bumper sticker on a car. It tells you something about the person.
I agree. And like bumper stickers, either the person reading it agrees, and then you're preaching to the choir; or they don't, and you now have less credibility in their eyes. So really it's just a way to bond with like-minded folks. Like a secret fraternity handshake. Except not secret. :unsure:

OUCH!!!!!!

We've got some strong opinions here.....which is a good thing, don't get me wrong.

I also think that the GC Forums should be a place which is immune from politics. I don't think about elections while I'm tracking down a cache. They should be seperated like: government & religion.

Yes, a lot of avatars and sigs are full with ambiguous language, but they don't try to change my beliefs. They are as someone stated: like bumper stickers.

I would just hate to see the forums turn into a political caucus.

So, with that said, I will now let this topic quickly drop off the bottom of the list.

JayBee

Edited by jbhooker3

Well the be all, end all of it is that we are posting to Groundspeak's servers.

I think it is only polite to them to not mix them up in my politics. Why should I be able to use their property as a platform to express my strong feeling that Bush should be re-elected? (Whoops. Sorry Won't happen again. :unsure: )

Edited by Bull Moose
... but they don't try to change my beliefs.

I know you wanted to just let this drop off the page but I felt the need to respond to your statement quoted above.

If a person's beliefs are changed by a one line message they must not have meant much to begin with.

Hmmm .... maybe I should use that for my sig line.

If your going to quote something, please quote the entire sentence, not just the juicy parts you want to comment on, completely out of context......this is exactly why I wanted this to drop off the page.....BUT NO...some people just can't leave anything alone. (Grizzly)

Avatars and sig lines may have some hidden meaning, or can be taken more than one way (ambiguous). I still say that one's political preferences should be kept to themselves when they enter the Forums. I am certainly not against seeing some humor and experiencing the unique personalities here. It would not be any fun, otherwise.

For example, I really liked BullMoose's addition to this subject. He kept it in context, and did not try and attack me.

So, unless someone's got something constructive to add....I'm gonna lock this one down.

JayBee

For example, I really liked BullMoose's addition to this subject. He kept it in context, and did not try and attack me.

I don't think anyone is attacking you. There is some disagreement with your view, yes, but not attacks on you personally. Plus, I think it is a generally interesting subject.

I don't think anyone is attacking you. There is some disagreement with your view, yes, but not attacks on you personally. Plus, I think it is a generally interesting subject.

I don't know how else to take this:

Exact quote of GrizzlyJohn:

"I know you wanted to just let this drop off the page but I felt the need to respond to your statement quoted above. "

"If a person's beliefs are changed by a one line message they must not have meant much to begin with. "

"Hmmm .... maybe I should use that for my sig line. "

Don't discuss Politics, Religion, or Sex. :)  :)  :)

As long as sax is still acceptable, I'm in! :D

Blue Man.....you are awesome...... :D;);):D;):D:D:(;);)

EDIT: You too Green Man (The Leprechauns )......., and RK, and Sparky-W. If I left anyone out, I apologize. :)

Edited by jbhooker3

"I know you wanted to just let this drop off the page but I felt the need to respond to your statement quoted above. "

"If a person's beliefs are changed by a one line message they must not have meant much to begin with. "

I take it as wanting to make a point that he did not make before, which was that signature lines are not likely to change anyone's beliefs, and hence are not particularly imposing. If a belief is changed that easily it must not have been very strongly held. I read his comment about using it as his sig line as tongue in cheek. Regardless, he is picking at your view, but not attacking you personally. At least that is how I see it.

Anyway, I also think the general subject about such things in signature lines is interesting. I already gave my view on it of course, but am interested to see the views of others.

I take it as wanting to make a point that he did not make before, which was that signature lines are not likely to change anyone's beliefs, and hence are not particularly imposing. If a belief is changed that easily it must not have been very strongly held. I read his comment about using it as his sig line as tongue in cheek. Regardless, he is picking at your view, but not attacking you personally. At least that is how I see it.

Anyway, I also think the general subject about such things in signature lines is interesting. I already gave my view on it of course, but am interested to see the views of others.

Actually, his statement would make a good sig line.....it fits a lot of threads, not just this one....and no, I don't think it was an attack, just a point of view, or a comment that tells it like it is.

I agree with CarleenP and Sparky-Watts. I don't read any of what has been posted in this thread as a personal attack. Lots of different views, some agreeing, some not, but not mean or aggressive. The overall lack of aggression is one of the things I like about about these forums. About the worst thing you'll usually find is the occassional attention seeker. Pretty amazing, all things considered. Especially given that geocaching appeals to people from many areas and backgrounds. With the diversity of people who participate in the forums, I appreciate how respectful cachers are of each other overall.

If your going to quote something, please quote the entire sentence, not just the juicy parts you want to comment on, completely out of context......this is exactly why I wanted this to drop off the page.....BUT NO...some people just can't leave anything alone. (Grizzly)

Avatars and sig lines may have some hidden meaning, or can be taken more than one way (ambiguous). I still say that one's political preferences should be kept to themselves when they enter the Forums. I am certainly not against seeing some humor and experiencing the unique personalities here. It would not be any fun, otherwise.

So, unless someone's got something constructive to add....I'm gonna lock this one down.

JayBee

What just a minute -- what I said was not in any way meant as an attack on you. If it was attacking anybody it is those that can be swayed in their beliefs by one sentence. If that fits you, then OK, it was an attack on you. But you really don't seem to fit in that category. And I would not even imply that you do.

Yes I did only quote a small part of your entire post. But I really don't see that I took anything out of context. Besides your post is there for all to read in full. It is a little hard to quote somebody out of context when the entire quote is a couple of messages up. I guess that part of it just struck me as funny -- that anyone would really be swayed by something in a sig line. If that does happen I again really have to question the thought process they use to believe in anything. As you are driving down the highway do you make your choice of elected officals based on the bumper stickers you see? I guess some people do and they get what they deserve for a government.

And if I was attacking you or not (which again was not in any way the case) I guess I am a little bothered by your saying that basically you got to say what you wanted and were done and now it can just fade away. Or that you will judge what is constructive and if it does not suit you then you will just close the thread. I actually think that says more than anything else you have posted here on this subject.

As far as keeping one's political preferences to themselves why should it stop there? Again there are many sig lines that don't have anything to do with politics that I don't agree with. I don't think I should be able to say that they have to stop using them. I just ignore them. I am not hurt by them and there is no strange force that makes me agree with it against my will just because I read it.

No I don't agree with your point of view on this. But you raised the subject. What are only people that agree allowed to respond? It was a disagreement with your point of view not an attack on you as a person. If that concept is not something you can understand and you are troubled by it happening then maybe you should not post. Sorry if you took it as a personal attack but I am not sorry for what I said.

All right....I see that this topic has quieted down.

Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious here but, I'm all for Freedom of Speech and that is what living in a democratic society is all about.

With that said, you probably have all heard the adage: "Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one, and I think yours stinks" and: "Your rights end, where my nose begins"....

So, if you would like to air your political, religious, sexual affiliation on the Forums, it's your right. I guess you could expect some backlash from it. Now, if it is done in a not so IN YOUR FACE way, it will most likely go un-noticed.

Like many have said....this is really not the place to discuss politics. There are other Forums for that, I'm sure.

I'm going to try and let this topic wither now.

JayBee