New 76s

Brasileiro

Hmmmmm....

The new 76cs will have (vs 60cs):

* 115 mb of memory, instead of 56 mb.

* Color screen is a little smaller, 1.2" w x 2.2" h vs. 1.5" w x 2.2" h.

* However, both have the same number of pixels, 240 x 160.

* It's a little bigger and heavier (tougher?), designed for marine use.

* Apparently no "geocaching mode", which in its current incarnation is kind of a dud anyway.

* Aprx. $50 more...

Hmmmm.... :D

Hmmmmm....

* Apparently no "geocaching mode", which in its current incarnation is kind of a dud anyway.

* Aprx. $50 more...

Hmmmm.... :D

The fifty more is worth the extra memory. But since my CSTSS is not so good I don't think I would want the smaller screen!! Another thing is I am without a GPS right now so I will stick with the CS coming soon I hope rather than wait until second quarter.

murph

Even though the new screen is microscopically smaller on the Map 76C/S, isn't the resolution higher than that of the Map 76/S series?

Although the memory is QUITE appealing, I found the 76 series to be too big for me to comfortably hold. (I have owned and used a 76S in the past.)

Looking forward to hearing about this when people start getting them, though!

-=-

michelle

dadgum - I did not need this fly in the ointment.

I had my heart set on the 60CS, but now this has me second guessing. The extra memory is hard to pass up, but I think the 60CS looks like a better choice for what I will use it for (Driving and Geocaching). There - I made up my mind to stick with the 60CS.

RM

Edit: Now if they come out with a color/higher memory version of the GPS V, I will really be pissed off.

Edited by Rocket Man

I was all set to order the 60C this morning when I did a last minute check to the Garmin site and saw the 76C and 76CS.

I definitely want the larger memory and also the Marine Point database that is preinstalled on the 76 series. I have the map 76 and the tide and marine marker info is very convenient to me. Most important though is the buttons on top. I find this position allows me to have a more secure single handed use of the unit with no chance if dropping it. With the buttons on the bottom, the unit is top heavy and hanging off/out of the hand and the thumb is contorted to press the closer buttons. Just my personal findings from my past usage. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that I had trouble finding stock on the 60C because I am definitely waiting for the 76C!

Looks like they're just using the same screen that's on the 60C/S in the new 76C/S...

On the Garmin website they're saying it's 38mm width-wise on both the 60 and the 76.

I'll also be interested to see if they change the way the menus are set up - same as the 76 series, or move more toward whate they've done with the eTrex/V/60 series.

-=-

michelle

Everyone cancel their orders for the 60c!  Do you see all the extras with the 76c and 76cs.....come on you know you want it...double the memory, floats, and marine stuff....cancel and order the 76c or 76cs.....THIS WAY I CAN GET MY 60C THAT HAS BEEN ON BACKORDER FOREVER AND A DAY!!!

Fire Eater :unsure:

New stock due in today:

GPSNow!

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal
Even though the new screen is microscopically smaller on the Map 76C/S, isn't the resolution higher than that of the Map 76/S series?

Although the memory is QUITE appealing, I found the 76 series to be too big for me to comfortably 2hold.  (I have owned and used a 76S in the past.)

Looking forward to hearing about this when people start getting them, though!

-=-

michelle

76s spec reads: 180x240 res. 1.6x2.2" size for the screen

76CS spec reads: 160x240 res. 1.2x2.2" size

Autorouting, 115Mb, floats.... and according to one vendor, $35 higher than 60cs.... seems like a good price for double the memory!:unsure:

As of this posting, Garmin updated their webpage for the 76CS and the screen size now listed is updated to read:

(1.5" W x 2.2" H; 2.6" diagonally) or same as new 60C/CS B)

Now I'm happy...

Hmmmmm....

* Aprx. $50 more...

Hmmmm.... :unsure:

Both the 76 units have 1.5X2.2 screen size - Garmin lists the 60 series as the same screen size of 1.5X2.2. Where did you see the 1.2X2.2 size?

Are we sure about the autorouting capability? It is described as "Basemap Autorouting" on the Garmin website, implying that it is not full autorouting that would work with downloaded maps.

This is off of Intel's site about the 76CS, "Includes a built-in Americas Autoroute basemap with auto-routing capabilities, including highways, exits, and tide data (U.S. only)"

Are we sure about the autorouting capability? It is described as "Basemap Autorouting" on the Garmin website, implying that it is not full autorouting that would work with downloaded maps.

I saw that same wording this am and called Garmin. I asked if it was the same auto-routing as offered on the 60 series and was told "Yes, exactly the same".

I replaced the 60CS I had on order with the 76CS. Unless I'm missing something (and I often am) I can't see any downside to swapping the 60CS for the 76CS. The additional memory for about $40 looks like a real bargin.

Nice, now when they send a unit like this or the 60cs out that takes a memory card we'll be all set. I wonder why they haven't done this yet.

I was thinking about a 60cs too but now this sure does look like the way to go.

All I saw on the 76cs was a USB interface from the product page whereas the 60cs has both USB and RS232.

You can forget about downloading your waypoints/PQs without a serial interface. Neither EasyGPS or ExpertGPS support USB and I've yet to find a way to import a PQ into the Mapsource software.

I know its a task to do so now with my 2610. I have to load them to my gps V first then back to Mapsource from the V then from Mapsource to my 2610 via USB.

That works for me since it allows me to have the same waypoints on both units but a pain none the less. If you don't have a Garmin serial gps I'm not sure how you would do it.

You can forget about downloading your waypoints/PQs without a serial interface. Neither EasyGPS or ExpertGPS support USB and I've yet to find a way to import a PQ into the Mapsource software.

I know that the developer of Easy and Expert GPS is working on a fix for the USB port.

murph

All I saw on the 76cs was a USB interface from the product page whereas the 60cs has both USB and RS232.

I use Mapsource to upload my PQ's to my V, so I don't see this as any different.

GPSBABEL will convert GPX to MPS and it works great! EasyGPS lately has been dropping tons of caches from the list, It seems to have developed some bugs

I have done my best to scale the two the same, (by making the screen size the same).

Image removed from quote.....

In case you're wondering what's under the case, here's link to an older thread with pictures of What's under the hood of a GPSMAP 76s

I imagine the layout of the new 76CS is very similar...

NOTE: The link is to 76s NOT 76CS insides...

Edited by Us 5 Camp
I have a 60CS on order and I'm tempted to get the 76CS

one big question is whether the reception (especially under tree cover) would be inferior to the 60CS because of the antenna, which looks like the Vista patch antenna which I found to be lacking in comparison to my V.

Any thoughts?

The type of antenna, patch or quad, is not anywhere near as important as the view of the sky the antenna has. For this reason, the V will continue to be superior, as you can aim it to the sky. You'll get tired after a mile or so holding on to your unit, while trying to keep it pointed up. The V can be placed into a shirt pocket, or in a pouch on your pack strap and the anttena adjusted for the best view. Same thing in your window seat on a commercial airliner.

As much as I've looked forward to receiving my 60cs decided to cancel my order and put in an order for the 76cs. What's a few more months? I already have a 76s so I have the case, accessories, etc. (I assume they'll all fit). Deciding factors for me were the extra memory and the less than stellar reviews of the geocaching feature of the 60cs.