Dysfunctional Geocachers

Broncoholics

How would you politely tell another cacher that they made a mistake. Like for instance,

they gave a big clue on their online log. Or the geocachers parked on private property to find the cache because they didn't pay attention to the cache page discription. I have also told my dad not to leave the travel bug serial # on the cache page. Would you just let something go that bothers you, or would you send a polite email to a geocacher that you might think needs help. It's kinda like, would you tell a person if they had a buggar on their nose.

D :D

It all depends. Is it really a big deal as in terms that you worry that the mistake was major, will be repeated, and will harm others? If minor or not likely repeated, I say let it go. If not, I say a polite and friendly sounding private email is the best option. Polite and friendly because otherwise you will likely just get the person overly defensive and more likely to repeat their mistake. Even with polite and friendly, that is a risk depending on the mentality of the recipient.

It all depends. Is it really a big deal as in terms that you worry that the mistake was major, will be repeated, and will harm others? If minor or not likely repeated, I say let it go. If not, I say a polite and friendly sounding private email is the best option. Polite and friendly because otherwise you will likely just get the person overly defensive and more likely to repeat their mistake. Even with polite and friendly, that is a risk depending on the mentality of the recipient.

I agree with Carleenp. B)

If it's was my cache I would encrypt the log till the change was made.

Good topic Upinyachit :D

Polite and friendly generally works for most things. I made the mistake of showing the TB # in the TB image and received a nice note on the page of the problem it could present so I politely corrected the image. I had another cache wherein an elevation change was described poorly. Another cacher within these forums while discussing it made a polite comment of how it could be changed so I made the change. It reads much better now and has gone without a FTF nearly a month in place now.

I always tell my 5 & 8 year old, that manners will get them farther in life than most other things and that everything starts with good manors.

Edited by Cache Viking

Once, a cache log showed up on my watch list, and the person posted the TB number in the log. I posted a note saying that maybe they would want to change it because someone could "grab" it from them, which could cause some problems. They thanked me a changed it.

Another time, the first DNF on my new cache posted a note that gave away some of the first hint. I encrypted it and emailed him. I said that it was no big deal, but I encrypted his log for that reason. He could change it if he wanted, or just leave it encrypted. He didnt realize that he had done that, and took it very well.

I think if you are polite, and not over reacting, everything will be fine.

P.S. Great to hear about your new attitude. I could never leave these forums now. The navicache forums are so slow, they just don't do it for me. Hooray! :D

Edited by SBPhishy

I accidentally gave away something in a log that I wrote that I didn't think gave anything away about the cache, but apparantly the cache owner thought so. He encrypted my log and sent a very polite note explaining the situation and asking me to change my log.

I still wasn't sure if I really gave anything away, but the owner handled it well (didn't delete my log with no explanation or anything like that) so I was happy to oblige.

I agree that when addressing a newbie that you should be gentle. After all, you don't want to discourage anyone from participating in the game/sport. Send an e-mail indicating the action you have taken and offer them suggestions/advise based on your experience and let them know what is gernerally acceptable in the Geocaching community.

When addressing an experienced cacher, be diplomatic but forthright.

That is my opinion, such as it is.

Happy caching and stuff! :D

I always tell my 5 & 8 year old, that manors will get them farther in life than most other things and that everything starts with good manors.

What's the difference between a manor and a plantation?

I think plantations are those funny looking bananas. :D

Plaintains are the bananna looking things and Mannor or Manna falls from the Heavens... but YMMV B)

I'm a dysfunctional person with a dysfunctional life. I have a dysfunctional family and I live in a dysfunctional apartment. My pets are dysfunctional along with all of my dysfunctional stuff. I have a dysfunctional knickname is this dysfunctional sport we call geocaching. I also have a dysfunctional personality,

gee! except for the apartment and pets, it sounds like my life. :unsure:

What's a buggar?  Dictionary.com didn't know what it was.  Will it actually fit in your nose?  :unsure:

--Marky

i have always seen it spelled booger. B)

You may not care to know what "buggar" really means. Don't ask, don't tell; that's my policy.

Edited by Geo Ho
What's a buggar?  Dictionary.com didn't know what it was.  Will it actually fit in your nose?  :huh:

--Marky

i have always seen it spelled booger. :unsure:

You may not care to know what "buggar" really means. Don't ask, don't tell; that's my policy.

Social commentary;

At what point does it become important to correctly use N.N.N.? (Nose Nugget Nomenclature)

Sn B)B) gans

What's a buggar?  Dictionary.com didn't know what it was.  Will it actually fit in your nose?  B)

--Marky

i have always seen it spelled booger. :huh:

Social commentary;

At what point does it become important to correctly use N.N.N.? (Nose Nugget Nomenclature)

Sn B):unsure: gans

If you really want to have fun, the medical term for a child's nose picking is "digital exploration". Kind of makes GPS based trekking need a new name, STAT!

What's a buggar?  Dictionary.com didn't know what it was.  Will it actually fit in your nose?  B)

--Marky

i have always seen it spelled booger. :(

Social commentary;

Sn ;):unsure: gans

If you really want to have fun, the medical term for a child's nose picking is "digital exploration". Kind of makes GPS based trekking need a new name, STAT!

ROFLMAO!!!

B):huh:B)

My kid stuck a bit of styro packing peanut up his nose once (just for fun). I took him to the emergency room and it was very traumatic.

If he sticks a dog up his nose, I quit!

My kid stuck a bit of styro packing peanut up his nose once (just for fun). I took him to the emergency room and it was very traumatic.

When I was a little kid, I knew this other little kid that got a bean stuck up his nose.

The parents kept asking the little kid, why do you keep picking your nose? The little kid kept saying a fly flew up my nose. So the kids' parents ended up taking the little kid to the doctor. Come to find out, this little kid stuck a pinto bean up his nose and it ended up sprouting. The doctors removed the bean successfully, and the kid never stuck anything up his nose again. LOL

D :unsure: LOLOLOL

Isn't buggery something that only takes place in England?

Buggery doesn't happen in England...only with Englishmen who move to the USA. The English call a bugger (in the context used in this thread) a bogey.

When talking to one's father, you would say "Is that a bogey on your nose?". To anyone else you might say "is that a nose under your bogey?"

I always tell my 5 & 8 year old, that manors will get them farther in life than most other things and that everything starts with good manors.

What's the difference between a manor and a plantation?

;) wow I really messed that one up.

here you go "manners" :(

I think they have them on some Plantations. ;)

If I had a manor to pass down to my kids, they wouldn't have to worry about working until after finishing college. ;)