New Caching Computer

uperdooper

my new dell computer came today. now i have to make the transition from win98 to win xp. thanks to everyone who helped me with advice. it's not online yet, but will be by next week. until then i will limp along with my old one. again, many thanks to all those who helped. :D i feel like a 12 year old at christmas. B)

You know, most GeoCaching software requires very little computing power. Everything I've tried works just fine on a Pentium I with 68 MB of RAM. Don't worry, I won't tell your wife. B) Don't forget to use it occationally for work so you can write off half on taxes.

This might more accurately reflect your situation: "I bought a new computer that I can also use for GeoCaching."

:D

-Bob

You know, most GeoCaching software requires very little computing power.  Everything I've tried works just fine on a Pentium I with 68 MB of RAM.  Don't worry, I won't tell your wife.  :huh:  Don't forget to use it occationally for work so you can write off half on taxes.

This might more accurately reflect your situation: "I bought a new computer that I can also use for GeoCaching."

B)

-Bob

actually, i am the wife. my husband doesn't geocache. i work weekends and he is retired from general motors. i earned the money, so i don't have to justify it to him. B)B) i just got some of the extra bells and whistles because i wanted them. :unsure:

Edited by uperdooper

this puppy has:

2.8 GHz w/800MHz front side bus

windows xp

512 MB dual channel DDR SDRAM@400MHz

40 gig harddrive

3.5 floppy

48x CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive

18.1 inch dell ultrasharp flat screen monitor

128 MB DDRNVIDIA FX5200 graphics

sound blaster live 5.1

speakers with sub woofer

didn't need all that, but what the heck, it's my money.

Edited by uperdooper
You know, most GeoCaching software requires very little computing power.  Everything I've tried works just fine on a Pentium I with 68 MB of RAM.  Don't worry, I won't tell your wife.  :huh:  Don't forget to use it occationally for work so you can write off half on taxes.

B)

-Bob

actually, i am the wife. my husband doesn't geocache. i work weekends and he is retired from general motors. i earned the money, so i don't have to justify it to him. :unsure::( i just got some of the extra bells and whistles because i wanted them. B)

Bobthearch, is it tough to type with both feet in your mouth? B)

Edited by tirediron
my new dell computer came today. now i have to make the transition from win98 to win xp. thanks to everyone who helped me with advice. it's not online yet, but will be by next week. until then i will limp along with my old one. again, many thanks to all those who helped. B) i feel like a 12 year old at christmas. :unsure:

If you truly felt like a 12 year old, you would have already had it hooked up to the Internet through a pirated WiFi connection and would have already hacked Groundspeak.com/geocaching.com to up you posts/finds!! :huh:

I have a Dell laptop too. Love it. Hate the new D series laptops (well, dislike some design features).

PS Screwedcork, Slackware is for suckers Debian is where it's at. :unsure:

Debian is cool. Played with live CD's of knoppix and morphix. I have sent out the Prophet of Morphix travel bug.

I bought SuSE 8.2. I have to say, SuSE leaves alot to be desired. Need help getting my wife's PDA to sync. Can't get any from them.

Linux is definitely better than Win 98 and with the exception of the PDA thing, better than WinXP. Go Tux!

my new dell computer came today.  now i have to make the transition from win98 to win xp.  thanks to everyone who helped me with advice.  it's not online yet, but will be by next week.  until then i will limp along with my old one.  again, many thanks to all those who helped. :huh:  i feel like a 12 year old at christmas. B)

If you truly felt like a 12 year old, you would have already had it hooked up to the Internet through a pirated WiFi connection and would have already hacked Groundspeak.com/geocaching.com to up you posts/finds!! B)

I have a Dell laptop too. Love it. Hate the new D series laptops (well, dislike some design features).

When I was 12 I was hacking in to BBS's with my Commodore 64! :unsure:

PS Screwedcork, Slackware is for suckers Debian is where it's at. B)

Debian is cool. Played with live CD's of knoppix and morphix. I have sent out the Prophet of Morphix travel bug.

I bought SuSE 8.2. I have to say, SuSE leaves alot to be desired. Need help getting my wife's PDA to sync. Can't get any from them.

Linux is definitely better than Win 98 and with the exception of the PDA thing, better than WinXP. Go Tux!

Yep, Linux is great, but for server environments it just can't compare to BSD. I'd be using UNIX-like operating systems on all my computers if I didn't have parents... :unsure:

Bobthearch, is it tough to type with both feet in your mouth? 

Yes, it is a little. With the non-gender-specific screen name of "uperdooper" I should have said "spouse." :unsure:

2.8 GHz w/800MHz front side bus

windows xp

512 MB dual channel DDR SDRAM@400MHz

40 gig harddrive

3.5 floppy

48x CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive

18.1 inch dell ultrasharp flat screen monitor

128 MB DDRNVIDIA FX5200 graphics

sound blaster live 5.1

speakers with sub woofer

didn't need all that, but what the heck, it's my money.

Nice machine specs, by the way, especially the processor, f.s.b., and RAM. Personally, I would have added a second hard drive, larger hard drive(s), surround-sound speakers, and 2nd CD-DVD drive for copying disks. But when I asked my wife for the money, she said I don't ~need~ a new computer. B)

Two hard drives are helpful to me because I multi-boot Windows, BSD, BeOS, Linux(es), QNX, etc. all on a single machine.

Best Wishes,

Bob

Yep, Linux is great, but for server environments it just can't compare to BSD. I'd be using UNIX-like operating systems on all my computers if I didn't have parents... 

same here except substitute parents for wife.

Dual-booting is the answer. Install Windows first, on a Primary partition. Then install BSD or Linux. BSD will use a single Primary partition and divide it into individual "slices." Linux can be set up with various configurations - I use 2 Logical partitions, one for /swap and one plain / .

Also you can dual boot without altering the Windows install in any way by installing a second hard drive.

Personally, I have Linux on slave partitions on the Master drive and BSD on a Primary partition of the slave drive. Works great!

-Bob

Those are better specs that you were originally talking about. The last PC I got had an 80gb drive. It came with 20gb of junk allready on it. I wish I could of ordered it with minimal drivers on it and loaded it myself. then I could limite the junk I didn't need.

The first thing you should do is uninstall all the crap they put on it BEFORE you put your own crap ON it. :unsure:

Those are better specs that you were originally talking about.  The last PC I got had an 80gb drive. It came with 20gb of junk allready on it.  I wish I could of ordered it with minimal drivers on it and loaded it myself.  then I could limite the junk I didn't need.

The first thing you should do is uninstall all the crap they put on it BEFORE you put your own crap ON it. :)

i have deleted some of the crap already and am putting lots of my own crap on it. acutally, i am using it right now. we have 2 phone lines so i could use both if i wanted. next purchase, CABLE CONNECTION!!! after that, who knows. 2nd hard drive. zip drive. external CD-DVD drive. lots of stuff. i am going to close this thread now because i don't want it to become a flame about different operating systems. whatever works for you, that's the best. thanks again for all the advice and good wishes. B):unsure: