Watch Your Language!!!

phern47

Well, I was quite surprised when I got this message. From one of the administrators who has been here since way back in 2003. I don't really understand what the administrator is trying to say. On one hand I am allowed to send messages in french and in english as long as they are in the same message yet, the americans frown on anyone using a language other than english.

I guess, speaking french is frowned upon. I posted my french messages in "Canada" site which has 2 official languages. I was hoping to get a few more francophones interested in geo caching. The fact that I mentioned that I went fishing and then posted the GPS coordinates on Map Quest was also frowned on because the subject matter was not directly related to "geocaching". So I guess selling and buying GPS units is frowned on too. Hey....les francophones....faite attention à vous!!! Vous n'est pas les bienvenues ici. I will probably end up being banned from "geocaching" now. Will I be the first "francophone" to be banned?

Hi phern47,

I have merged your French and English posts, there is no problem with posting in French on the Forum, but please do not double the threads by posting the same in both languages, one is ok and posting the English in the same post is ok if you want to post in both languages. Also, please keep the posts Geocaching related as per the forum guidelines. I am sorry, they are in English only since this site is mostly administered from the US.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=16

I look forward to seeing some new caches placed in your area, if I review any of your caches, please bear with me as I do not know French all that will but will try my best.

Cache-tech

Geocaching.com Admin

Personally I think your taking his comments the wrong way. From what I read, it simply says that there is no reason to create a post with the same topic in english and then another post in French. For you to say that the french are not welcome here is insulting and totally wrong. Let me first say that I am bilingual and work each day in both official languages. I feel both are important. Your statement that french speaking people are not welcome will only make them think they are not, which is totally untrue.

Personally I think this game started in the USA, and 99.99% of the site is in english. Does it mean that French people are not welcome? No, of course not. Instead of worrying about this, why not start making a French only website for the game?

Edited by Insp Gadget

Donc les sujets comme la vente de GPS etc ne sont pas nécessairement dans le "geocaching" non plus. Il y a un lien indirecte. Tout comme mes messages dans mes autres groupes de discussions quand je parle du nouveau sport de "géocaching". J'avais l'intention de cacher un "géocache" la fin de semaine prochaine près du site de pêche que j'ai montré sur "MapQuest". Je les trouve un peu "étroit d'esprit" là. Je conviens bien que la pêche semble éloigné de le "geocaching" mais j'ai des projets pour cette été partout dans la province. Je ne peut pas trop en parler mais je suis sur un projet dans le milieu du tourisme et le "geocaching" va en faire parti. Disons que pour le moment, je peut dire que beaucoup de sonars pour pêcheur on des GPS incorporés et la plupart des sonars ont des prises dans lequel on peut brancher un GPS. Finit le temps ou un site parle d'un sujet seulement. Bientôt on va voir l'intégration de plusieurs sujets dans le même site et même des liens directes entre sites, radio internet, t.v. internet etc. Je me croise les doigts mais j'espère que dans 1 an je pourrais revenir narguer ceux qui n'ont pas une vision plus large. Je t'invite a consulter le site de "Québec Pêche" (j'ai presque le même nick) et je parle de "géocaching".

Well, I was quite surprised when I got this message.  From one of the administrators who has been here since way back in 2003.  I don't really understand what the administrator is trying to say.  On one hand I am allowed to send messages in french and in english as long as they are in the same message yet, the americans frown on anyone using a language other than english.

I guess, speaking french is frowned upon.  I posted my french messages in "Canada" site which has 2 official languages.  I was hoping to get a few more francophones interested in geo caching.  The fact that I mentioned that I went fishing and then posted the GPS coordinates on Map Quest was also frowned on because the subject matter was not directly related to "geocaching".  So I guess selling and buying GPS units is frowned on too.  Hey....les francophones....faite attention à vous!!!  Vous n'est pas les bienvenues ici.  I will probably end up being banned from "geocaching" now.  Will I be the first "francophone" to be banned?

Hi phern47,

I have merged your French and English posts, there is no problem with posting in French on the Forum, but please do not double the threads by posting the same in both languages, one is ok and posting the English in the same post is ok if you want to post in both languages. Also, please keep the posts Geocaching related as per the forum guidelines. I am sorry, they are in English only since this site is mostly administered from the US.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=16

I look forward to seeing some new caches placed in your area, if I review any of your caches, please bear with me as I do not know French all that will but will try my best.

Cache-tech

Geocaching.com Admin

I have no problem with posts that are in French, but posting the same subject in 2 languages in separate threads is the same as posting the same thread in all of the Forums. I PMed you to let you know that I merged your posts into the same thread as they are the same subject. By the way, I am Canadian myself and do not frown on the use of another language other then English. It only takes a minute to babelfish the message to get the content since I am still trying to learn the language. If you want to use French to post, go ahead, I hope to see more francophones in Quebec interested in Geocaching. If you have any questions, I will be more then happy to answer them, PM me, send me an email, or post the question here. Welcome to our obsession. :D

Edited by cache-tech

Je comprends que la majorité des sites non pas un focus si étroit, mais ces comme cela qu'il veulent leurs forums. I'll Y a beaucoup de discussion des sujets liée au Caching mais il faut avoir un liens. Si tu auras mentioner les possibilités de cacher avec un sonar/GPS et si tu auras fait tes posts bilingue en une seule topic il n'auras aucun problemes.

Cache-tech n'a pas voulu décourager l'utilisation du français mais de décourager l'utilisation des forums dans des sense contraire au veux de Groundspeak.

B) I cant resist...... "French Canadian complains about Language police" news at 11.... :D This has been a joke.... had it really ment anything other then a joke..... Then I'd be getting beaten to a pulp right now......Happy caching....

Fish